Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default appetizer

We have a little appetizer that sure goes well with pulled pork
sandwiches and even ribs. It's simply shrimp and avocado stuffed
avocado shells. It's so easy to make, it can be whipped up on a
moment's notice if you have the ingredients.

Simply cut 2 whole avocados in half, lengthwise, and remove the
seed. Using a large spoon, scoop out the meat and chop it into
1/4" pieces. Thaw 8 ounces of cooked popcorn shrimp and chop
lightly. Mix the shrimp and avocado together, adding
approximately a tbsp of fresh lime juice with S&P to taste.
Divide into 4 parts and place back into the avocado shells. Chill
and serve.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nonny" > wrote:

> We have a little appetizer that sure goes well with pulled pork
> sandwiches and even ribs. It's simply shrimp and avocado stuffed
> avocado shells. It's so easy to make, it can be whipped up on a
> moment's notice if you have the ingredients.
>
> Simply cut 2 whole avocados in half, lengthwise, and remove the
> seed. Using a large spoon, scoop out the meat and chop it into
> 1/4" pieces. Thaw 8 ounces of cooked popcorn shrimp and chop
> lightly. Mix the shrimp and avocado together, adding
> approximately a tbsp of fresh lime juice with S&P to taste.
> Divide into 4 parts and place back into the avocado shells. Chill
> and serve.
>
> Nonny

Sounds simple and tasty. :-) I'd be tempted to add just a little dill
weed to that, or some chopped black olives.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news

> Sounds simple and tasty. :-) I'd be tempted to add just a
> little dill
> weed to that, or some chopped black olives.
> --
> Peace! Om

It might work, but I've not tried either. Of course, I've tried
garlic (crushed or powdered) and find that while I like garlic in
guacamole and garlic butter on shrimp, that it does little for me
in this combination. Finely chopped and drained tomatoes are also
one of those things that sound better than when I've tried them
and I've also played with dressings to include mayo, Ranch and
balsamic vinegar. Plain old lime juice still seems to work best
for me.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it’s just not worth

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nonny" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news >
> >
> > Sounds simple and tasty. :-) I'd be tempted to add just a
> > little dill
> > weed to that, or some chopped black olives.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> It might work, but I've not tried either. Of course, I've tried
> garlic (crushed or powdered) and find that while I like garlic in
> guacamole and garlic butter on shrimp, that it does little for me
> in this combination. Finely chopped and drained tomatoes are also
> one of those things that sound better than when I've tried them
> and I've also played with dressings to include mayo, Ranch and
> balsamic vinegar. Plain old lime juice still seems to work best
> for me.
>
> Nonny

Like lemon, lime is a good flavor enhancer.
Hence it's use in Margaritas... <eg>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news >
>>
>> Sounds simple and tasty. :-) I'd be tempted to add just a little dill
>> weed to that, or some chopped black olives.
>> --
>> Peace! Om

> It might work, but I've not tried either. Of course, I've tried garlic
> (crushed or powdered) and find that while I like garlic in guacamole and
> garlic butter on shrimp, that it does little for me in this combination.
> Finely chopped and drained tomatoes are also
> one of those things that sound better than when I've tried them and I've
> also played with dressings to include mayo, Ranch and balsamic vinegar.
> Plain old lime juice still seems to work best for me.

you might try tomato concasse instead of "finely chopped and drained".

Now, to head off a possible lengthy thread, What I mean here is skinned,
seeded and finely diced. Concasse means "chop", I suppose, and I saw on the
web that some people say it is not necessary to see, but everywhere I've
been wrt tomatoes it means the above.

For your purpose, I am suggesting tomato meat, no skin, no seeds, and pretty
well dewatered as the core is not used.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nonny" > wrote:

> We have a little appetizer that sure goes well with pulled pork
> sandwiches and even ribs. It's simply shrimp and avocado stuffed
> avocado shells. It's so easy to make, it can be whipped up on a
> moment's notice if you have the ingredients.
>
> Simply cut 2 whole avocados in half, lengthwise, and remove the
> seed. Using a large spoon, scoop out the meat and chop it into
> 1/4" pieces. Thaw 8 ounces of cooked popcorn shrimp and chop
> lightly. Mix the shrimp and avocado together, adding
> approximately a tbsp of fresh lime juice with S&P to taste.
> Divide into 4 parts and place back into the avocado shells. Chill
> and serve.
>
> Nonny

Last time I had frozen shrimp it really opened up the sluices at both
ends. Caveate Emptor.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
Billy > wrote:

> > Simply cut 2 whole avocados in half, lengthwise, and remove the
> > seed. Using a large spoon, scoop out the meat and chop it into
> > 1/4" pieces. Thaw 8 ounces of cooked popcorn shrimp and chop
> > lightly. Mix the shrimp and avocado together, adding
> > approximately a tbsp of fresh lime juice with S&P to taste.
> > Divide into 4 parts and place back into the avocado shells. Chill
> > and serve.
> >
> > Nonny

> Last time I had frozen shrimp it really opened up the sluices at both
> ends. Caveate Emptor.

Indeed. I've yet to have a problem with it and I've used a lot of it
over the years at $9.00 for a 2lb. bag of shelled pre-cooked with no
tails. Sold by our local grocer and always good quality.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article
> >,
> Billy > wrote:
>

>> > Simply cut 2 whole avocados in half, lengthwise, and remove
>> > the
>> > seed. Using a large spoon, scoop out the meat and chop it
>> > into
>> > 1/4" pieces. Thaw 8 ounces of cooked popcorn shrimp and chop
>> > lightly. Mix the shrimp and avocado together, adding
>> > approximately a tbsp of fresh lime juice with S&P to taste.
>> > Divide into 4 parts and place back into the avocado shells.
>> > Chill
>> > and serve.
>> >
>> > Nonny

>> Last time I had frozen shrimp it really opened up the sluices
>> at both
>> ends. Caveate Emptor.

> Indeed. I've yet to have a problem with it and I've used a lot
> of it
> over the years at $9.00 for a 2lb. bag of shelled pre-cooked
> with no
> tails. Sold by our local grocer and always good quality.
> --

I have no idea why, but I like the flavor of the small tail-on
shrimp in the salad, and just remove the tail and chop them a bit
before adding them. I used the term popcorn shrimp in the recipe
to simplify the description.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it’s just not worth

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 16:18:07 -0700, Nonny wrote:
>
>> Simply cut 2 whole avocados in half, lengthwise, and remove the
>> seed. Using a large spoon, scoop out the meat and chop it into
>> 1/4" pieces. Thaw 8 ounces of cooked popcorn shrimp and chop
>> lightly. Mix the shrimp and avocado together, adding
>> approximately a tbsp of fresh lime juice with S&P to taste.
>> Divide into 4 parts and place back into the avocado shells.
>> Chill
>> and serve.

> Are you suggesting using pre-cooked, cold, breaded, soggy,
> popcorn
> shrimp? Now made even soggier with the addition of lime juice
> and
> letting it sit?

Pre-cooked, cold, UNbreaded, non-soggy popcorn shrimp, of course,
as usually seen in the meat counter of the grocery. See my
comment to Om. about the size, tails etc.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nonny" > wrote:

> >I've yet to have a problem with it and I've used a lot
> > of it
> > over the years at $9.00 for a 2lb. bag of shelled pre-cooked
> > with no
> > tails. Sold by our local grocer and always good quality.
> > --

> I have no idea why, but I like the flavor of the small tail-on
> shrimp in the salad, and just remove the tail and chop them a bit
> before adding them. I used the term popcorn shrimp in the recipe
> to simplify the description.
>
> Nonny

Hey, if it works for you... :-)

I don't care much for the flavor of any shrimp smaller than cocktail
shrimp size!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

this sounds wonderful, and would work with that imitation crab stuff i
think, Lee
"Nonny" > wrote in message
> We have a little appetizer that sure goes well with pulled pork sandwiches
> and even ribs. It's simply shrimp and avocado stuffed avocado shells.
> It's so easy to make, it can be whipped up on a moment's notice if you
> have the ingredients.
>
> Simply cut 2 whole avocados in half, lengthwise, and remove the seed.
> Using a large spoon, scoop out the meat and chop it into 1/4" pieces.
> Thaw 8 ounces of cooked popcorn shrimp and chop lightly. Mix the shrimp
> and avocado together, adding approximately a tbsp of fresh lime juice with
> S&P to taste. Divide into 4 parts and place back into the avocado shells.
> Chill and serve.
>
> Nonny
>
> --
> On most days,
> it's just not worth
> the effort of chewing
> through the restraints..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i think you are the only reader that didn't get he meant unbreaded, Lee
"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 11:59:41 -0700, Nonny wrote:

>>> Are you suggesting using pre-cooked, cold, breaded, soggy,
>>> popcorn
>>> shrimp? Now made even soggier with the addition of lime juice
>>> and
>>> letting it sit?

>> Pre-cooked, cold, UNbreaded, non-soggy popcorn shrimp, of course,
>> as usually seen in the meat counter of the grocery. See my
>> comment to Om. about the size, tails etc.

> Popcorn shrimp are breaded shrimp.
>
> http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
>
> Sometimes made from minced shrimp. "Bay shrimp" refer to small
> shrimp. Or for even less confusion refer to them by count, like
> "80-100 count" or "21-25 count" which refer to how many are in a
> pound.
>
> -sw

Salmon Appetizer ? Joshuall General Cooking 8 29-12-2007 07:11 PM
appetizer sf[_3_] General Cooking 1 22-11-2007 04:11 PM
Appetizer Pie [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 01-07-2007 04:34 AM
Need Appetizer! Please Help? :) Tawse4Me Vegetarian cooking 2 23-02-2007 09:55 PM
your BEST appetizer? readandpostrosie General Cooking 30 27-01-2007 07:06 PM