Posted to alt.food.vegan
Beach Runner

Default Low fa diets hurt children

Back to the topic, people try to apply adult concepts to children, and
it is essential that children get an adequate supply of healthy oils.
A great example is an avocado as having great oils. Olive oil is great
for children. BTW, no one needs any trans fat, it was CREATED recently
by the food industry and serves no purpose.

Low-fat diets can cut children's nutrient intake
By Suzanne Rostler

http://www.4woman.org/nwhic/News/2001/01Nov16-2.htm

NEW YORK, Nov 15 (Reuters Health) - Well-intentioned parents who
limit their child's dietary fat in the name of good health may be
depriving their growing son or daughter of essential nutrients,
researchers report.

Their study of children with and without high cholesterol found that
unsupervised, parent-imposed low-fat diets were also lower in zinc
and vitamin E compared with diets that did not restrict fat. Zinc is
a mineral that is essential for growth and development and helps the
immune system fight infectious diseases. Vitamin E, an important
antioxidant vitamin, may also protect against certain diseases.

"Without formal nutritional counseling, parents of children with
(high cholesterol) may inadvertently overrestrict calories in their
children's diet by attempting to eliminate obvious sources of dietary
fat," Dr. Abha Kaistha from Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in
New York City and colleagues write.

In an interview with Reuters Health, Dr. Sarah C. Couch, a co-author
on the study, said that previous research has demonstrated that
low-fat diets can be safe for children. However, "there are clinical
reports of children who have grown poorly while following
unsupervised low-fat, low-calorie diets," added Couch, who is from
the University of Cincinnati in Ohio.

Many foods that contain zinc and vitamin E are also rich in fat and
saturated fat, including oils, milk, meat and eggs, the researchers
explain in the November issue of the Archives of Pediatric and
Adolescent Medicine.

The investigators compared the 3-day food diaries of 34 children with
normal cholesterol and 46 with high cholesterol. Before consulting a
nutritionist, parents of the children with high cholesterol had
reduced their fat intake to about 23% of daily calories and limited
their intake of saturated fat to about 8% of calories a day. In
comparison, the children with normal cholesterol consumed 17% more
calories overall, of which about 35% came from fat and 13% from
saturated fat.

Children with high cholesterol also consumed significantly more sugar
as a result of higher intakes of carbohydrate-rich foods, which tend
to be lower in fat. In both groups of children, whose average age was
10, intakes of calcium and folate were below national guidelines.

Kaistha and colleagues conclude that parents should not impose
dietary restrictions on children, including those with high
cholesterol, without the help of a trained professional.

"Parents of children with newly diagnosed (high cholesterol) should
be strongly encouraged to seek immediate guidance from a registered
dietitian after receiving the diagnosis," the researchers suggest.

Similarly, they warn pediatricians that a diagnosis of high
cholesterol and a recommendation to parents to begin cutting back on
fat in their child's diet could result in nutrient deficiencies.

SOURCE: Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine
2001;155:1225-1230.
Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
> Back to the topic, people try to apply adult concepts to children, and
> it is essential that children get an adequate supply of healthy oils.
> A great example is an avocado as having great oils.

I don't think it's very wise to recommend *vegans* consume foods like
avocados considering how far they're shipped. First, there are CDs
related directly to avocado production. That includes the use of poisons
to kill rodents as well as pesticides to curtail infestation of various
insects (which often leads to deaths of non-target species).
http://ceventura.ucdavis.edu/ben/avo...st/rodents.htm
http://ceventura.ucdavis.edu/ben/avo.../pest/pest.htm

Second, there's the transportation issue. It takes a lot of diesel fuel
to ship avocados from California and Mexico to urban areas where vegans
thrive (if you ever saw Ted Nugent's reality show that included vegan
contestants, you'd know vegans don't thrive outside urban areas). Diesel
exhaust is very toxic.

Map of avocado growing regions:
http://www.samcoharvest.com/images/GrowAvos.gif

Diesel exhaust contains 20-100 times more particles than
gasoline exhaust. These particles carry cancer-causing
substances known as polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
Gases in diesel exhaust, such as nitrous oxide, nitrogen
dioxide, formaldehyde, benzene, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen
sulfide, carbon dioxide, and carbon monoxide can also create
health problems.
http://www.afscme.org/health/faq-dies.htm

(The above is a leftist labor group. The following is another leftist
group.)

The scientific evidence is clear: diesel exhaust is a complex
mixture comprised of hazardous particles and vapors, some of
which are known carcinogens and others probable carcinogens.
Diesel exposure poses a significant and avoidable increase in
human health risks. Compelling evidence from dozens of
well-designed studies supports the conclusion that diesel
exhaust causes cancer. In addition, fine particles from diesel
exhaust aggravate respiratory illnesses such as bronchitis,
emphysema and asthma and are associated with premature deaths
from cardio-pulmonary disorders.
http://www.nrdc.org/air/transportation/ebd/chap2.asp

What's in diesel exhaust? Here's a *partial* list from OSHA:
* Major Components.
o Carbon dioxide, ID-172
o Carbon monoxide, ID-210
o Nitrogen dioxide, ID-182, NIOSH 6014
o Nitric oxide, ID-190, NIOSH 6014
o Particulates, NIOSH 5040 (new method for Diesel Exhaust
Particulates), NIOSH 0500 (*.zip file in WordPerfect format)
o Sulfur dioxide, ID-200
* Minor Components
o Acrolein, OSHA 52, NIOSH 2539
o o-Anisaldehyde
o Benzene, OSHA 12, NIOSH
o 2,3-Benzofuran
o Coumarin
o Formaldehyde, OSHA 52, NIOSH 2541 (*.zip file in
WordPerfect format), NIOSH 2539
o 4-Hydroxycoumarin
o m-Hydroxyacetophenone
o 2-Hydroxy-4-methoxyacetophenone
o Menadione
o 6-Methoxytetralone
o 6-Methylcoumarin
o 3-Methyl-2-cyclopentene-2-ol-one
o Trimethylbenzene
o Polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, OSHA 58, NIOSH 5506,
NIOSH 5515
+ Acenaphthene
+ Acenaphthylene
+ Anthracene
+ Benz[a]anthracene
+ Benzo[b]fluoranthene
+ Benzo[k]fluoranthene
+ Benzo[ghi]perylene
+ Benzo[a]pyrene
+ Benzo[e]pyrene
+ Crysene
+ Dibenz[a,h]anthracene
+ Fluoranthene
+ Fluorene
+ Indeno[1,2,3-cd]pyrene
+ Naphthalene, OSHA 35
+ Phenanthrene
+ Pyrene
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/dieselexhaust/chemical.html

Approximately *27,000 tons* of particulate matter pour into California's
air every year. That includes toxic particulates used to farm your
precious imported Lundberg rice, which is transported using even more
diesel engines -- poisoning Californians and everyone and everything
else between California and Toronto.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/toxics/dieseltac/factsht1.pdf

See also: http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=36089

Diesel exhaust hurts humans as much as it hurts the animals.

> Olive oil is great for children.

Since this is a vegan newsgroup, is it great for *animals*? California
doesn't produce nearly as much olive oil as the countries dotting the
Mediterranean. How many animals die in olive production and how many
more die in transporting olive oil from the Mediterranean?
http://www.cooc.com/fagr.html
And re-read diesel exhaust info above.
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:

> [...]

> http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/dieselexhaust/chemical.html
>
> Approximately *27,000 tons* of particulate matter pour into California's
> air every year. That includes toxic particulates used to farm your
> precious imported Lundberg rice, which is transported using even more
> diesel engines -- poisoning Californians and everyone and everything
> else between California and Toronto.
> http://www.arb.ca.gov/toxics/dieseltac/factsht1.pdf
>
> See also: http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=36089
>
> Diesel exhaust hurts humans as much as it hurts the animals.
>
>> Olive oil is great for children.

> Since this is a vegan newsgroup, is it great for *animals*? California
> doesn't produce nearly as much olive oil as the countries dotting the
> Mediterranean. How many animals die in olive production and how many
> more die in transporting olive oil from the Mediterranean?

My next door neighboors have an avocado tree, as do my parents.
Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:

> [...]

>> air every year. That includes toxic particulates used to farm your
>> precious imported Lundberg rice, which is transported using even more
>> diesel engines -- poisoning Californians and everyone and everything
>> else between California and Toronto.
>> http://www.arb.ca.gov/toxics/dieseltac/factsht1.pdf
>>
>> See also: http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=36089
>>
>> Diesel exhaust hurts humans as much as it hurts the animals.
>>
>>> Olive oil is great for children.

>> Since this is a vegan newsgroup, is it great for *animals*? California
>> doesn't produce nearly as much olive oil as the countries dotting the
>> Mediterranean. How many animals die in olive production and how many
>> more die in transporting olive oil from the Mediterranean?
>> http://www.cooc.com/fagr.html
>> And re-read diesel exhaust info above.

> My next door neighboors have an avocado tree, as do my parents.

*in third-grade teacher voice*
Do they have enough for the whole class?

I don't give a shit what you, your parents, or your neighbors have in
your yards. Most people don't have access to homegrown avocados. That
means they have to ship them in from regions where they grow. Dittos for
olives (guess your father doesn't have olive trees) and olive oil. The
commercial farming of avocados and olives causes animals to die. So does
the transportation. How is all that needless animal killing consistent
with veganism?