Derek

On 24 Sep 2005 05:22:15 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>> >No it doesn't. You can theoretically allow the livestock
>> >you farm to die of natural causes before you eat them.

>> Meat from livestock farming is always slaughtered,
>> and as such, the death associated with that meat is
>> per se.

>Not according to the definitions you gave.

Yes, according to the definition I gave.

>The slaughtering
>of animals is not always absolutely necessary for the
>production of farmed meat.

Yes, it is. You don't get meat from farmed animals
without first slaughtering those farmed animal.

>> >I have learned the meaning of these terms as you defined
>> >them.

>> No, you clearly haven't understood them at all, else
>> you wouldn't keep making the same mistake. I'm not
>> here to teach you, so I suggest you do some reading
>> of your own on the subject.

>It is you who is making the mistake

No, unfortunately for you, it is you who is making
the mistake, and it's because of this mistake that
you'll never get to understand the distinction.

>> >It's too bad that you haven't!

>> I understand the distinction perfectly.

>You obviously don't.

I obviously do.

>> Your lack of a response here tells I'm right: you
>> dropped the nym AFTER it was shown to be
>> self-contradictory.

Thank you.
Dave

Derek wrote:

> On 24 Sep 2005 05:22:15 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
> >Derek wrote:

> >> Meat from livestock farming is always slaughtered,
> >> and as such, the death associated with that meat is
> >> per se.

> >Not according to the definitions you gave.

> Yes, according to the definition I gave.
>
> >The slaughtering
> >of animals is not always absolutely necessary for the
> >production of farmed meat.

> Yes, it is. You don't get meat from farmed animals
> without first slaughtering those farmed animal.

But theoretically you could do. Therefore the killing
is not an *absolutely* necessary part of meat production.

> >> No, you clearly haven't understood them at all, else
> >> you wouldn't keep making the same mistake. I'm not
> >> here to teach you, so I suggest you do some reading
> >> of your own on the subject.

> >It is you who is making the mistake

> No, unfortunately for you, it is you who is making
> the mistake, and it's because of this mistake that
> you'll never get to understand the distinction.

> >> I understand the distinction perfectly.

> >You obviously don't.

> I obviously do.

Your unannotated snippage of points you would
presumably prefer to ignore has been noted.

> >> Your lack of a response here tells I'm right: you
> >> dropped the nym AFTER it was shown to be
> >> self-contradictory.

> Thank you.

What for? I forgot to respond to this in my initial reply
so I made another reply to address that issue. The fact
that I see no point in duplicating my repsonse here is
not a concession.

Derek

On 24 Sep 2005 05:53:27 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>> >Not according to the definitions you gave.

>> Yes, according to the definition I gave.

That's settled then.

>> >The slaughtering
>> >of animals is not always absolutely necessary for the
>> >production of farmed meat.

>> Yes, it is. You don't get meat from farmed animals
>> without first slaughtering those farmed animals.

>But theoretically you could do.

No, you cannot source meat from farmed animals
without first slaughtering those farmed animals.
How many times must I repeat this until it finally
sinks in?

>Therefore the killing
>is not an *absolutely* necessary part of meat production.

It is if you source your meat from farmed animals
because they are always slaughtered intentionally.
Meat sourced from animals that have died from
natural causes or from road kill isn't supplied by
livestock farming.

>> >It is you who is making the mistake

>> No, unfortunately for you, it is you who is making
>> the mistake, and it's because of this mistake that
>> you'll never get to understand the distinction.

I'm glad to see that you finally agree, though tacitly.

>> >You obviously don't.

>> I obviously do.

If you understood the terms you would not be
making the same mistake.

>> Thank you.

>What for? I forgot to respond

One lack of a response might be seen as forgetful,
but two in a row, especially after being told that
you had failed to respond the first time is a tacit
admission.
Dave

Derek wrote:

> On 24 Sep 2005 05:53:27 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
> >Derek wrote:

> >> Yes, according to the definition I gave.

> That's settled then.

"Yes, according to the definition I gave" is not an argument
and therefore does not require a reply.

> >> Yes, it is. You don't get meat from farmed animals
> >> without first slaughtering those farmed animals.

> >But theoretically you could do.

> No, you cannot source meat from farmed animals
> without first slaughtering those farmed animals.

Of course you can. Simply wait for the farm animal
to die from natural causes.

> How many times must I repeat this until it finally
> sinks in?

The claim will remain false no matter how many times
you repeat yourself.

> >Therefore the killing
> >is not an *absolutely* necessary part of meat production.

> It is if you source your meat from farmed animals
> because they are always slaughtered intentionally.

Irrelevant. it is possible to obtain meat from farmed animals
without killing them.

> Meat sourced from animals that have died from
> natural causes or from road kill isn't supplied by
> livestock farming.

Livestock animals can die of natural causes or become
road kill.

> >> No, unfortunately for you, it is you who is making
> >> the mistake, and it's because of this mistake that
> >> you'll never get to understand the distinction.

> I'm glad to see that you finally agree, though tacitly.

You weren't putting forward an argument. Therefore a reply
wasn't necessary.

> >> I obviously do.

> If you understood the terms you would not be
> making the same mistake.

This is not an argument and therefore doesn't require
a response.

> >> Thank you.

> >What for? I forgot to respond

> One lack of a response might be seen as forgetful,
> but two in a row, especially after being told that
> you had failed to respond the first time is a tacit
> admission.

I have already responded to this exact point. If you want
to delude yourself that my failure to repeat myself here
is a tacit admission, go ahead.

Derek

On 24 Sep 2005 07:03:21 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>> That's settled then.

>"Yes, according to the definition I gave"

No, according to the definition I gave and which
you clearly don't understand.

>> >But theoretically you could do.

>> No, you cannot source meat from farmed animals
>> without first slaughtering those farmed animals.

>Of course you can. Simply wait for the farm animal
>to die from natural causes.

Meat from animals that have died from natural causes
isn't supplied by livestock farmers.

> > >Therefore the killing
>> >is not an *absolutely* necessary part of meat production.

>> It is if you source your meat from farmed animals
>> because they are always slaughtered intentionally.

>Irrelevant.

No, it is not irrelevant. You cannot source farmed
meat from farmed animals that have died from natural
causes; they are slaughtered intentionally for their meat.

>> Meat sourced from animals that have died from
>> natural causes or from road kill isn't supplied by
>> livestock farming.

>Livestock animals can die of natural causes or become
>road kill.

Yes, but those animals are not sold onto consumers.
All farmed meat is sourced from slaughtered farm
animals.

>> I'm glad to see that you finally agree, though tacitly.

>You weren't putting forward an argument.

Being that I used the term "because", my statement
was indeed an argument, and while you fail to
respond to that argument I can only take that as
tacit agreement with it.

>> If you understood the terms you would not be
>> making the same mistake.

>This is not an argument and therefore doesn't require
>a response.

Are you going to try this little dodge with every statement
I make, time-waster?

>> >What for? I forgot to respond

>> One lack of a response might be seen as forgetful,
>> but two in a row, especially after being told that
>> you had failed to respond the first time is a tacit
>> admission.

>I have already responded to this exact point.

You failed to respond twice in a row, even after being
reminded that you had failed to respond, so for you to
now say that you did respond is an obvious lie.

Dave

Sorry if the format of this post comes out a little strange. My server
crashed just
before I had finished composing it and I had to copy-paste the whole
thing
into word and then back again.

Derek wrote:

> On 24 Sep 2005 07:03:21 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
> >Derek wrote:

> >> That's settled then.

> >"Yes, according to the definition I gave"

> No, according to the definition I gave and which
> you clearly don't understand.

Note the unannotated snippage.

> >> No, you cannot source meat from farmed animals
> >> without first slaughtering those farmed animals.

> >Of course you can. Simply wait for the farm animal
> >to die from natural causes.

> Meat from animals that have died from natural causes
> isn't supplied by livestock farmers.

This still doesn't imply that the property (animal being slaughtered)
is always absolutely necessary for the product we were discussing
(meat from farmed animals) .

> >> It is if you source your meat from farmed animals
> >> because they are always slaughtered intentionally.

> >Irrelevant.

> No, it is not irrelevant. You cannot source farmed
> meat from farmed animals that have died from natural
> causes; they are slaughtered intentionally for their meat.

OK. I see you wish to be more specific about the product
we were discussing. The slaughter of animals is a per-accidens
property of meat that comes from livestock. It is a per-se
property of meat that a consumer can buy over the counter.
However this redefining exposes a massive hole in your ethics.
Suppose that butchers and supermarkets did start buying meat
from animals that died naturally. In that case the slaughter
of animals would become a per-accidens property of meat that
can be bought over the counter and hence, according to your
ethics become, in essence, perfectly ethcial even if the
particular piece of meat you purchased came from an animal
that had been slaughtered. It doesn't make sense!

> >> Meat sourced from animals that have died from
> >> natural causes or from road kill isn't supplied by
> >> livestock farming.

> >Livestock animals can die of natural causes or become
> >road kill.

> Yes, but those animals are not sold onto consumers.
> All farmed meat is sourced from slaughtered farm
> animals.

I have nothing to add to my reply to your previous point.

> >> I'm glad to see that you finally agree, though tacitly.

> >You weren't putting forward an argument.

> Being that I used the term "because", my statement
> was indeed an argument, and while you fail to
> respond to that argument I can only take that as
> tacit agreement with it.

I stand by everything I have said to you in this thread. I already
understand the
distinction between per-se and per-accidens. My contribution to the
thread, demonstrates this.

> >> If you understood the terms you would not be
> >> making the same mistake.

> >This is not an argument and therefore doesn't require
> >a response.

> Are you going to try this little dodge with every statement
> I make, time-waster?

Only when you present opinions that do nothing to further the
discussion like "You don't understand the terms". I shall
continue my policy of responding only to arguments and constructive
statements.

> >> One lack of a response might be seen as forgetful,
> >> but two in a row, especially after being told that
> >> you had failed to respond the first time is a tacit
> >> admission.

> >I have already responded to this exact point.

> You failed to respond twice in a row, even after being
> reminded that you had failed to respond, so for you to
> now say that you did respond is an obvious lie.

I did respond. Here's the proof:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt...7487edd?hl=en&

pearl

"Dave" > wrote in message oups.com...
<..>
>> Suppose that butchers and supermarkets did start buying meat
>> from animals that died naturally.

Strictly prohibited.

'Death from natural causes or accident
27(1) A person shall not take into an abattoir an
animal that has died from natural causes or because
of an accident.
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/acts376?opendocument

'FOOD SAFETY
State and Federal Standards and Regulations
It is unlawful to handle, skin, butcher, cut up, dress
or prepare for the making of fertilizers, animal feeding,
or other uses, any animal, or the meat or other parts
of an animal, that died from natural causes, disease,
or accident, in any room of an establishment where
animals are slaughtered, dressed, and prepared for
human food.
http://www.nasda-hq.org/nasda/nasda/...nnsylvania.pdf