Richard Miller

Default Healthy Diet?

I need to go back to my vegan diet but I have had so much stress and eating
at burger king instead of smoking and drinking. I'm trying to find out what
is healthy and what's not? You can eat all kinds of junk food and still keep
your vegan idea. Like non fat salad dressing, pickles, crackers, breads, can
food, box food, and the list goes on or ok or not? I'm so confused I feel if
I eat anything besides raw fruit and veggie and some nuts and seeds I'm
doing something wrong. I also know that I eat in the top 15% of Americans.
(Stress = Burger King) Being in the top 15% American is like saying I only
smoke a half pack of cig. instead of my regular 2 packs. I am just trying to
get a grip of how to eat healthy. The more I know the more confused I get.

Richard

st7

Richard Miller wrote:
>I'm trying to find out what
> is healthy and what's not? You can eat all kinds of junk food and still keep
> your vegan idea. Like non fat salad dressing, pickles, crackers, breads, can
> food, box food, and the list goes on or ok or not?

I agree with this and would further assert that most vegans
are junk food vegans.

>I'm so confused I feel if
> I eat anything besides raw fruit and veggie and some nuts and seeds I'm
> doing something wrong.

Mostly raw vegetables and fruits is good with emphasis
on dark green leaves will be great. Some cooked
legumes and colored root vegetables are also good.
A little extra virgin olive oil or avocado and some
cooked whole grains and a reliable, adequate source
of B12 and maybe even some preformed algae-based DHA
can round out the balance of kcals. Mild calorie
restriction and very high fiber (from food, not
supplements) will also greatly decrease your risks
of CHD, type II diabetes, and most types of cancers.

> I also know that I eat in the top 15% of Americans.
> (Stress = Burger King) Being in the top 15% American is like saying I only
> smoke a half pack of cig. instead of my regular 2 packs. I am just trying to
> get a grip of how to eat healthy. The more I know the more confused I get.

I agree with this, too. It is estimated that about 35% of
known cancers are associated with tobacco use and about
55% with inappropriate nutritional habits. PMID: 15281219
Steve

Richard Miller wrote:
> I need to go back to my vegan diet but I have had so much stress and eating
> at burger king instead of smoking and drinking. I'm trying to find out what
> is healthy and what's not?

http://www.veganhealth.org

The first link in my signature also some good resources to that end.

Good Luck!

--

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

nemo

"Richard Miller" > wrote in message
> I need to go back to my vegan diet but I have had so much stress and

eating
> at burger king instead of smoking and drinking. I'm trying to find out

what
> is healthy and what's not? You can eat all kinds of junk food and still

keep
> your vegan idea. Like non fat salad dressing, pickles, crackers, breads,

can
> food, box food, and the list goes on or ok or not? I'm so confused I feel

if
> I eat anything besides raw fruit and veggie and some nuts and seeds I'm
> doing something wrong. I also know that I eat in the top 15% of

Americans.
> (Stress = Burger King) Being in the top 15% American is like saying I only
> smoke a half pack of cig. instead of my regular 2 packs. I am just trying

> get a grip of how to eat healthy. The more I know the more confused I get.
>
> Richard

nemo

"Richard Miller" > wrote in message
> I need to go back to my vegan diet but I have had so much stress and

eating
> at burger king instead of smoking and drinking. I'm trying to find out

what
> is healthy and what's not? You can eat all kinds of junk food and still

keep
> your vegan idea. Like non fat salad dressing, pickles, crackers, breads,

can
> food, box food, and the list goes on or ok or not? I'm so confused I feel

if
> I eat anything besides raw fruit and veggie and some nuts and seeds I'm
> doing something wrong. I also know that I eat in the top 15% of

Americans.
> (Stress = Burger King) Being in the top 15% American is like saying I only
> smoke a half pack of cig. instead of my regular 2 packs. I am just trying

> get a grip of how to eat healthy. The more I know the more confused I get.
>
> Richard

Oops. Hit the wrong icon.

As a Vegan you can eat prepared foods but you need to know the ingredients.

In the UK, this is easy because of our Food Labelling Regulations which
stipulate that all ingredients and additives have to be listed except for
flavourings.

No problem. Flavourings are a sign of a poor recipe so I just avoid 'em. The
stupid manufacturers say that the combinations of flavourings they use
characterise their products and must remain trade secrets. Silly buggers.

From what you say, it seems prepared foods might not have to be labelled in
the US.

The thing about raw fruit and veggies, nuts, seeds etc. is you need to learn
how to cook. That's how I manage to eat well on a very tight budget so it's
economical as well.

The best thing to do might be to get in touch with Vegan societies, groups
etc. Do a Google on "vegan society" including the quotes. There are
plenty out there.

Nemo

Vegan for c. 37 years and still aliyyyyve I tell you!

Beach Runner

nemo wrote:

> "Richard Miller" > wrote in message
>
>>I need to go back to my vegan diet but I have had so much stress and

> eating
>
>>at burger king instead of smoking and drinking. I'm trying to find out

> what
>
>>is healthy and what's not? You can eat all kinds of junk food and still

> keep
>
>>your vegan idea. Like non fat salad dressing, pickles, crackers, breads,

> can
>
>>food, box food, and the list goes on or ok or not? I'm so confused I feel

> if
>
>>I eat anything besides raw fruit and veggie and some nuts and seeds I'm
>>doing something wrong. I also know that I eat in the top 15% of

> Americans.
>
>>(Stress = Burger King) Being in the top 15% American is like saying I only
>>smoke a half pack of cig. instead of my regular 2 packs. I am just trying

>>get a grip of how to eat healthy. The more I know the more confused I get.
>>
>>Richard
>>

> Oops. Hit the wrong icon.
>
> As a Vegan you can eat prepared foods but you need to know the ingredients.
>
> In the UK, this is easy because of our Food Labelling Regulations which
> stipulate that all ingredients and additives have to be listed except for
> flavourings.
>
> No problem. Flavourings are a sign of a poor recipe so I just avoid 'em. The
> stupid manufacturers say that the combinations of flavourings they use
> characterise their products and must remain trade secrets. Silly buggers.
>
> From what you say, it seems prepared foods might not have to be labelled in
> the US.
>
> The thing about raw fruit and veggies, nuts, seeds etc. is you need to learn
> how to cook. That's how I manage to eat well on a very tight budget so it's
> economical as well.
>
> The best thing to do might be to get in touch with Vegan societies, groups
> etc. Do a Google on "vegan society" including the quotes. There are
> plenty out there.
>
> Nemo
>
> Vegan for c. 37 years and still aliyyyyve I tell you!

Yes, avoid preparred foods, but if you must read labels. It is easy to
make unhealthy vegan food. Linda McCartney makes a living doing it. She
puts so much fat and sodium in her foods.

Eats lots of fresh fruit first. They digest first.

Then a large combination of whole grains, leafy greens, and legumes,
supplment with some tofu or fermented tofu. Look for organic foods.
According to Consumer Reports they have much less pesticides residue,
but be sure to wash it still.

Get blood tests annually for B12 especially, as well as you CDC complete
panel. PSA too.

Don't smoke.

Drinking a BIT, No more than one drink a day is said to be ok.

Bob

usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
<...>
> Yes, avoid preparred foods, but if you must read labels. It is easy to
> make unhealthy vegan food. Linda McCartney makes a living doing it.

No, she doesn't. She's dead. You twit.

> She puts so much fat and sodium in her foods.

Must be difficult for her, being in a grave and all...

<...>
Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:

> Beach Runner wrote:
> <...>
>
>> Yes, avoid preparred foods, but if you must read labels. It is easy
>> to make unhealthy vegan food. Linda McCartney makes a living doing it.

> No, she doesn't. She's dead. You twit.
>
>> She puts so much fat and sodium in her foods.

> Must be difficult for her, being in a grave and all...
>
> <...>

Read her products. You are one nasty SOB.
usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
>>> Yes, avoid preparred foods, but if you must read labels. It is easy
>>> to make unhealthy vegan food. Linda McCartney makes a living doing it.

>> No, she doesn't. She's dead. You twit.
>>
>>> She puts so much fat and sodium in her foods.

>> Must be difficult for her, being in a grave and all...
>>
>> <...>

> Read her products.

She doesn't make them, dummy. She's been dead for over seven years.
Those frozen foods carrying her name are made and sold by the HJ Heinz
company.

> You are one nasty SOB.

At least I'm not a bumbling twit like you are.
Laurie

"Richard Miller" > wrote in message
> I feel if I eat anything besides raw fruit and veggie and some nuts and
> seeds I'm doing something wrong.

Exactly, we are frugivorous apes and cultural hypnosis and willful
ignorance are not going to change that.

Laurie

Healthy diet Z General Cooking 0 11-04-2007 07:12 PM
Healthy diet. Z General Cooking 0 02-04-2007 03:01 PM
Healthy diet Z General Cooking 0 21-03-2007 04:28 PM
Healthy diet Z General Cooking 1 15-03-2007 02:46 PM
Healthy diet. Z General Cooking 3 14-03-2007 12:55 AM