Scented Nectar

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> Scented Nectar wrote:
> >><...>

> >>Something is either right or wrong, moral or not moral.

> > You have snipped out where
> > you used the term 'immoral
> > in the extreme'.

> *I* didn't use that term, idiot.

My bad. It was Dutch.

plate

> >>Did you just realize this, dummy? Your disagreement is predicated on
> >>your goofy assumption -- just like the one in which you assumed most
> >>organic food is purchased by vegans. You've balked at addressing it, so
> >>let me refresh your "shit" memory:

> > Don't you mean shitty memory,
> > rather than shit memory?

> I thought I recalled a post in which you called your memory "shit."

I suppose it's possible. The
correct usage though, is
shitty for an adjective.

> >>Using data which we discussed last weekend:
> >>
> >> 1. < 2% of the population is vegetarian
> >> 2. Organic is a $15.4 BILLION/year industry in the US
> >> 3. Organic sales are expected to exceed $30 BILLION by 2007.
> >> 4. One of the fastest growing segments within the organic
> >> industry is organic MEAT (~35% annual growth).
> >>
> >>The total US population is just under 280 million people. That means
> >>there are about 5.5 million "serious" vegetarians. Dividing the $15.4
> >>billion by 5.6 million "serious" vegetarians, we arrive at a figure of
> >>$2750 per "serious" vegetarian -- or $11,000 per family of four for just
> >>organic foods. That appears quite excessive to me, especially when
> >>considering the fact that they're not purchasing any of the organic

meat.

> > Is the 15.4 the total of all
> > organics, MINUS the animal
> > products?

> It's the total for all organic products, dumb ass.

That's where there's a problem.

> > The growth of
> > demand for organic meats
> > doesn't show what the
> > vegetarians are buying.

> The data show that <2% of the population aren't buying >50% of the $15.4
> billion of organic products in the US.

Of course not, if your data
includes meat in it.. Who's
buying all that?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/libra...e_Book_of_Tofu

> soybean volume:weight conversion:
> http://www.fareshare.net/conversions...to-weight.html
>
> > Or are you just guessing
> > again?

> I don't make wild guesses, bitch -- YOU do.

Back in the 80s everyone
thought that all I ate were
carrots and sprouts. Now
it's tofu and gluten. Those
don't play a very big role in
my diet, although I eat them
sometimes. What fodder
to food ratio are you using
for the grain fed beef?

> >>the final yield of the product. You've stubbornly resisted altering your
> >>preference for tropical foods and exotic spices despite the evidence
> >>given to you about how damaging such practices are to the environments
> >>in which those foods are grown as well as the global issue of pollution
> >>(diesel from ships, jet fuel from planes, diesel from trucks and

trains).

> > Yey you claim that it's only
> > wrong if I do it,

> I'm not violating your principles. You are.

I'm not violating my principles.
In your eyes maybe, but who
cares? It's me who counts.

> >>You've not reduced your impact on CDs from food production aside from
> >>the 1001st death -- the meat you won't eat for your peculiar and
> >>irrational reasons.

> > through

eat

> >>I define you in many ways, too: skank, ****, idiot, retard, zealot,
> >>hypocrite.

> > Quite a telling collection.

> You're quite a weirdo.

> >>In what other way are you a success?

> > None of your business. Stop
> > fishing.

> You've clearly nothing to add to your one-item list.

Nothing to share with you.

> >>You can add more detail to the discussion than you have. The self-praise
> >>bit about your "success" for 20 years as a vegetarian was ridiculous. At
> >>what else have you been a success?

> > Actually, it's next May, it will
> > be 25 years.

> The fact that you would remember such a date is pathetic.

No. I think it's neat.

> > What do you have against that?

> Don't act so defensive, Skanky.

I'm not. Just wondering why
you are so disdainful about
my vegiversary.

> >>I'm not complaining. I'm pointing things out and calling you what you
> >>a hypocrite.

> > Nah,

> Yes. You're a rank hypocrite.

do

> >>My diet defines itself. I don't need to wear a shirt identifying myself
> >>as one who eats a healthful diet.

> > So you don't call yourself
> > a flexitarian?

> Not in the context of identitying with others.
>
> > That's a word
> > you sought to use.

> Only as a valid description of what most vegetarians actually eat.

A flexitarian, being a meat eater
is never vegetarian.

> >>It's not about hate, Skanky.

> > Yes it is.

> No.

Yep. You fought over politics
and now all vegans are in the
doghouse. I think I'm seeing it
correctly.

and

legumes,

is

> >>Your "latest quotes" are feeble spin.

> >>Same fallacy, you dumb ass. You're still arguing, "So what if my current
> >>diet causes CDs, meat also causes CDs." Adding qualifiers doesn't change
> >>what you're saying one bit.

> > I guess you weren't comprehending.

> You're the one who doesn't comprehend. It doesn't matter that you're
> arguing one is even worse, you're still using it to justify your
> actions/inactions.

We are really talking about cds
here. What is better? More or
less? I say less.

> >>You sure will, ****.

> >>Funny then that they're not the ones complaining, but that an
> >>emotionally immature adult with a rather profound case of arrested
> >>development is.

> > If I took you more seriously, I
> > could complain to your ISP and
> > get you booted out.

> Booted out from what? I haven't violated their AUP. My posts to both
> these groups have been on topic. The problem you have is that you
> disagree with me. Tough shit, Skanky.

You should think it through before
you follow Rudey into the land of
4 letter words. The C one can get
you into trouble.

> > Luckily for
> > you, I don't tend to do such
> > things.

> No, because you're a chickenshit who hopes someone else will do her
> dirty work.

That info was supplied in case
anyone else was appalled at
your anti-female slurs.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Derek

On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:04:00 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

[..]

>You're not being real and honest. You want the smug feeling of comparing
>yourself to the "opponents you can defeat", but you are not prepared to
>openly acknowledge those who are your betters.

Once again we can see that instead of offering
your opponent anything resembling an argument
in support of your wild claims against vegans, you
project your own failings on to them instead and
hope no one will see it. Look again at your open
response to terra where you admit to feeling smug
when pretending to be a vegetarian in support for
the proposition of animal rights.

[start - terra to Dutch]
> I thought you made a dietary decision and AR just
>came as a bonus.

[Dutch]
That's right, the good light was just gravy.
[terra]
> Well that's why you didn't succeed. Understandable.

[Dutch]
I did feel morally superior, quite smug in fact, I just
didn't brag about it.
[end]
Dutch Jun 21 2002 http://tinyurl.com/7d3b6

Not everyone suffers from your failings, Ditch.
Dutch

"Derek" > wrote
> On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:04:00 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>
> [..]
> >
> >You're not being real and honest. You want the smug feeling of comparing
> >yourself to the "opponents you can defeat", but you are not prepared to
> >openly acknowledge those who are your betters.

> Once again we can see that instead of offering
> your opponent anything resembling an argument
> in support of your wild claims against vegans,

I support my argument by pointing out the flaws
in vegan thinking and arguments. SN has many
of them on display.

[..]

> Not everyone suffers from your failings, Ditch.

I'm sure they don't, but the people I speak to here
do.

Derek

On Mon, 30 May 2005 11:32:04 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote
>> On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:04:00 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>
>> [..]
>> >
>> >You're not being real and honest. You want the smug feeling of comparing
>> >yourself to the "opponents you can defeat", but you are not prepared to
>> >openly acknowledge those who are your betters.

>> Once again we can see that instead of offering
>> your opponent anything resembling an argument
>> in support of your wild claims against vegans,

>I support my argument by pointing out the flaws
>in vegan thinking and arguments.

No, liar Ditch, you were accusing SN of being smug, or
wanting to be smug when being smug was exactly what
you were while pretending to be a vegetarian in support
for the proposition of animal rights. You've snipped the
embarrassing evidence of it away in this post but it still
remains in my previous post to this.

>SN has many of them on display.

In your deluded view and readiness to project your own
failing onto others, anything's possible to be on display.

>> Not everyone suffers from your failings, Ditch.

>I'm sure they don't, but the people I speak to here
>do.

You have no authority whatsoever to make any judgment
concerning the workings of another poster's mind, you
imbecile.
Dutch

"Derek" > wrote

> You have no authority whatsoever to make any judgment
> concerning the workings of another poster's mind, you
> imbecile.

I have complete authority, AND ability to draw inferences
from people's words, too ****ing bad if you don't like it.

Derek

On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:58:24 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote
>
>> You have no authority whatsoever to make any judgment
>> concerning the workings of another poster's mind, you
>> imbecile.

>I have complete authority

No, you have nothing other than your own sad experience
to draw from when pretending to be a vegetarian in support
for the proposition of animal rights, and you're now projecting
that sad experience with all its failings onto SN while insisting
she wants to feel smug about herself. Look again at your open
response to terra where you admit to feeling morally superior
and smug, for example.

[start - terra to Dutch]
> I thought you made a dietary decision and AR just
>came as a bonus.

[Dutch]
That's right, the good light was just gravy.
[terra]
> Well that's why you didn't succeed. Understandable.

[Dutch]
I did feel morally superior, quite smug in fact, I just
didn't brag about it.
[end]
Dutch Jun 21 2002 http://tinyurl.com/7d3b6

Not only are you wrong to insist others suffer from the
same failings you do, you're a hypocrite as well, being
that you tried in vain to feel smug while criticising others
for allegedly doing the same.
Dutch

"Derek" > wrote
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:58:24 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
> >"Derek" > wrote
> >
> >> You have no authority whatsoever to make any judgment
> >> concerning the workings of another poster's mind, you
> >> imbecile.

> >I have complete authority

> No

Yes I do. Just as you have the authority, i.e. the *right*
to spin your little fairy tales about what people say and
what they meant by it, I have complete authority to draw
conclusions from what people say. Give it up.

Stan de SD

"Laurie" > wrote in message

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
> > And you don't think forcing millions of third-world people to forsake
> > protein, amino acids, and caloric intake because you're squeamish about
> > eating animals?

> Are you unaware that running plant protein through animals is only

some
> 5-10% efficient?

Are you aware that cattle can digest certain plant fiber that humans can't,
and can convert it into something humans can eat?

Didn't think so...

Derek

On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:48:04 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote
>> On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:58:24 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>> >"Derek" > wrote

>> >I have complete authority

>> No

>Yes I do.

You have nothing other than your own sad experience
to draw from, and you're now projecting that same sad
experience with all its failings onto SN while insisting
she wants to feel smug about herself, but look again at
your open response to terra where you admitted to a
feeling of moral superiority and smugness during the
earlier years when you tried to pass yourself off as
vegetarian in support for the proposition of animal
rights, for example.

[start - terra to Dutch]
> I thought you made a dietary decision and AR just
>came as a bonus.

[Dutch]
That's right, the good light was just gravy.
[terra]
> Well that's why you didn't succeed. Understandable.

[Dutch]
I did feel morally superior, quite smug in fact, I just
didn't brag about it.
[end]
Dutch Jun 21 2002 http://tinyurl.com/7d3b6

Not only are you wrong to insist others suffer from the
same failings you do, you're a hypocrite as well, being
that you tried in vain to feel smug while criticising others
for allegedly doing the same.
Dutch

"Derek" > wrote
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:48:04 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

> >> No

> >Yes I do.

> You have nothing other than your own sad experience
> to draw from

As do you, and by virtue of that experience we have the
right and the ability to comment on other's positions.

Steve C

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 06:47 +0000, Stan de SD wrote:
> "Laurie" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> >
> > > And you don't think forcing millions of third-world people to forsake
> > > protein, amino acids, and caloric intake because you're squeamish about
> > > eating animals?

> > Are you unaware that running plant protein through animals is only

> some
> > 5-10% efficient?

> Are you aware that cattle can digest certain plant fiber that humans can't,
> and can convert it into something humans can eat?
>
> Didn't think so...

....ok, so this part that humans can eat, which end does it come out of
and why would it be appetizing?

-Steve

Derek

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:02:45 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote
>> On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:48:04 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>> >"Derek" > wrote

>> >Yes I do.

>> You have nothing other than your own sad experience
>> to draw from

>As do you

Mine isn't a sad experience. I haven't set out to
delude myself the way you did, and neither do I
feel the need to invent ways (lie) to cling to any
illusions, as you've admitted to doing, so you've
no authority to comment on another poster's
mind, particularly while those comments focus
directly on what you've projected onto them: your
failings.
Dutch

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:02:45 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

> >> You have nothing other than your own sad experience
> >> to draw from

> >As do you

> Mine isn't a sad experience.

You are a classic sad case.

Always the gentleman, isn't he. I prefer "****wit" personally.

> Activists and other snake-oil salesmen (e.g., your continued parroting
> of unfounded bullshit about hemp oil even after being informed what
> omega-6 and omega-9 FAs really are).

And here we have coninued parroting of unfounded bullshit about omega-6
and omega-9 FAs after being informed what diets are correlated with
cancer and other diseases.

BTW who is selling the snake-oil, vegetarians? LOL

> >> From a very simple mind. You're culpable for deaths related to your
> >>consumption.

> > The farmers and equipment
> > manufacturers are.

> Stop passing the buck. You know the alternatives if you believe killing
> animals is wrong. Your refusal to engage in the existing alternatives
> and to pass the buck in this manner shows how disingenuous you are. You
> are unprincipled.

The killing of animals is not necessarily wrong. Everyone agrees with
this even the veg*ns so you are beating up a straw man. Way more
important is the treatment of the animals - treatment of our
environment - and our health.

> >>Yes. Killer.

> > Nope.

> Yes. Your consumption of specific foods produced in specific ways,
> despite the existence of reasonable alternatives, puts the blame
> squarely on your sagging shoulders.

I bet Scented is willing to take that blame for the death of those
worms.

Are you willing to take the blame for helping build the Georgia
hog-runoff cesspool? For supporting industrial farm practices which
treat animals as inanimate?

> [...]
>
> The years have already told us that "serious vegetarians" are stuck
> below 2% of the entire population. You're ****ed if you're going to wait
> for others to practice what YOU preach [expletive]

We all eat vegetables, that puts the number at 100%. So what do you
mean by "serious vegetarian", and which population are you talking
about? How about 99% of calories from vegetables, is that about where
you get the 2% from? Certainly nobody gets 100% from vegetables -
though there may be some who approach 3 or 4 nines.

Dutch

> wrote

> BTW who is selling the snake-oil, vegetarians? LOL

Yes. The vast majority of nutritionists sing the praises
of diets high in fiber, fresh fruits and vegetables. These
are non-vegetarians. Vegetarians are the ones claiming
that only diets completely *devoid* of animal products
can be truly healthful, and ethical.

[..]

> > Stop passing the buck. You know the alternatives if you believe killing
> > animals is wrong. Your refusal to engage in the existing alternatives
> > and to pass the buck in this manner shows how disingenuous you are. You
> > are unprincipled.
> >

> The killing of animals is not necessarily wrong. Everyone agrees with
> this even the veg*ns so you are beating up a straw man.

That's false. The fundamental principle of AR/veganism is that killing
animals is an a priori wrong.

>Way more
> important is the treatment of the animals - treatment of our
> environment - and our health.

Those are utilitarian concerns not necessarily related to vegetarianism.

[..]

> > Yes. Your consumption of specific foods produced in specific ways,
> > despite the existence of reasonable alternatives, puts the blame
> > squarely on your sagging shoulders.
> >

> I bet Scented is willing to take that blame for the death of those
> worms.

Yes, but she runs for cover when the mammals and birds are mentioned.

> Are you willing to take the blame for helping build the Georgia
> hog-runoff cesspool? For supporting industrial farm practices which
> treat animals as inanimate?

I'm willing to take a share of responsibility, philisophically speaking,
for everything I knowingly support.

[...]
> > The years have already told us that "serious vegetarians" are stuck
> > below 2% of the entire population. You're ****ed if you're going to wait
> > for others to practice what YOU preach [expletive]
> >

> We all eat vegetables, that puts the number at 100%. So what do you
> mean by "serious vegetarian", and which population are you talking
> about? How about 99% of calories from vegetables, is that about where
> you get the 2% from? Certainly nobody gets 100% from vegetables -
> though there may be some who approach 3 or 4 nines.

This whole obsession with removing the last vestige of animal cells
is a key indicator of the vegan fallacy/mythology. The impact of one's
diet and lifestyle is not linked directly to this number, as put forth in
the
vegan dream-time.

Dutch wrote:
> > wrote
>
> > BTW who is selling the snake-oil, vegetarians? LOL

> Yes. The vast majority of nutritionists sing the praises
> of diets high in fiber, fresh fruits and vegetables. These
> are non-vegetarians. Vegetarians are the ones claiming
> that only diets completely *devoid* of animal products
> can be truly healthful, and ethical.

Please do not equate the words of the few with the thoughts of the
many.

You meant to say "some vegetarians... ". They are wrong.

> > > Stop passing the buck. You know the alternatives if you believe killing
> > > animals is wrong. Your refusal to engage in the existing alternatives
> > > and to pass the buck in this manner shows how disingenuous you are. You
> > > are unprincipled.
> > >

> > The killing of animals is not necessarily wrong. Everyone agrees with
> > this even the veg*ns so you are beating up a straw man.

> That's false. The fundamental principle of AR/veganism is that killing
> animals is an a priori wrong.

There's the straw man again. Is the fundamental principle of
omnivorism that killing animals is an a priori right? No.
Everyone agrees that a suffering animal sometimes should be put out of
its misery. Everyone agrees that lions culling a herd of wildebeast is
not an a priori wrong - to give two examples.

> >Way more
> > important is the treatment of the animals - treatment of our
> > environment - and our health.

> Those are utilitarian concerns not necessarily related to vegetarianism.

These are the central tenets of vegetarianism!! Vegetarians will
certainly find much to disagree about amongst themselves but they will
probably all agree that diet choices should reflect those three things.

> [..]
>
> > > Yes. Your consumption of specific foods produced in specific ways,
> > > despite the existence of reasonable alternatives, puts the blame
> > > squarely on your sagging shoulders.
> > >

> > I bet Scented is willing to take that blame for the death of those
> > worms.

> Yes, but she runs for cover when the mammals and birds are mentioned.
>
> > Are you willing to take the blame for helping build the Georgia
> > hog-runoff cesspool? For supporting industrial farm practices which
> > treat animals as inanimate?

> I'm willing to take a share of responsibility, philisophically speaking,
> for everything I knowingly support.

Well put. I strive for that ideal as well.

> [...]
> > >
> > > The years have already told us that "serious vegetarians" are stuck
> > > below 2% of the entire population. You're ****ed if you're going to wait
> > > for others to practice what YOU preach [expletive]
> > >

> > We all eat vegetables, that puts the number at 100%. So what do you
> > mean by "serious vegetarian", and which population are you talking
> > about? How about 99% of calories from vegetables, is that about where
> > you get the 2% from? Certainly nobody gets 100% from vegetables -
> > though there may be some who approach 3 or 4 nines.

> This whole obsession with removing the last vestige of animal cells
> is a key indicator of the vegan fallacy/mythology. The impact of one's
> diet and lifestyle is not linked directly to this number, as put forth in
> the
> vegan dream-time.

Good point - that number is one of -many- indicators that can give some
idea as to the impact of diet on health, society, etc. Without other
information it is basically a useless datum.

Cheers -

Dutch

> wrote
>

> Dutch wrote:
>> > wrote
>>
>> > BTW who is selling the snake-oil, vegetarians? LOL

>> Yes. The vast majority of nutritionists sing the praises
>> of diets high in fiber, fresh fruits and vegetables. These
>> are non-vegetarians. Vegetarians are the ones claiming
>> that only diets completely *devoid* of animal products
>> can be truly healthful, and ethical.
>>

> Please do not equate the words of the few with the thoughts of the
> many.
>
> You meant to say "some vegetarians... ". They are wrong.

Based on my experience here on this group in the last five years
it is the vast majority. Your claimed moderate outlook represents
a small minority. *You* represent the few, not the other way around.

>> > The killing of animals is not necessarily wrong. Everyone agrees with
>> > this even the veg*ns so you are beating up a straw man.

>> That's false. The fundamental principle of AR/veganism is that killing
>> animals is an a priori wrong.
>>

> There's the straw man again. Is the fundamental principle of
> omnivorism that killing animals is an a priori right? No.

Yes.

> Everyone agrees that a suffering animal sometimes should be put out of
> its misery.

Not the same thing..

Everyone agrees that lions culling a herd of wildebeast is
> not an a priori wrong - to give two examples.

Lions are not moral agents, only a fool discusses right and
wrong in the context of animal behaviour.

You might have mentioned the thinning of deer herds by
controlled hunting.

>> >Way more
>> > important is the treatment of the animals - treatment of our
>> > environment - and our health.

>> Those are utilitarian concerns not necessarily related to vegetarianism.
>>

> These are the central tenets of vegetarianism!!

They are items of window dressing. The central tenent of vegetarianism is
the
idea that it is wrong to kill animals.

> Vegetarians will
> certainly find much to disagree about amongst themselves but they will
> probably all agree that diet choices should reflect those three things.

Those tenets are of concern to people who follow all
types of diets.

Once again, a veg*n attempts to lay exclusive claim to
the moral high ground.

[..]

>> > I bet Scented is willing to take that blame for the death of those
>> > worms.

>> Yes, but she runs for cover when the mammals and birds are mentioned.
>>
>> > Are you willing to take the blame for helping build the Georgia
>> > hog-runoff cesspool? For supporting industrial farm practices which
>> > treat animals as inanimate?

>> I'm willing to take a share of responsibility, philisophically speaking,
>> for everything I knowingly support.
>>

> Well put. I strive for that ideal as well.

I think that you will find that most veg*ns who contribute
to these groups prefer to find some way to weasel out of
responsibility for the collateral death toll associated with
agriculture. There are many variations, too many to list.
The one we see lately from Derek and SN is probably the
most despicable and least supportable of all. "Blame it all
on the dirty farmer." There is also flat denial, demand for
unreasonable proof, such as peer-reviewed studies of
collateral deaths in agriculture, asserting that they are
"unecessary", or not specifically demanded, therefore
less significant. Another one I hate is the cheesy moral
relativity of, "at least I cause fewer deaths than X".

[...]

>> > We all eat vegetables, that puts the number at 100%. So what do you
>> > mean by "serious vegetarian", and which population are you talking
>> > about? How about 99% of calories from vegetables, is that about where
>> > you get the 2% from? Certainly nobody gets 100% from vegetables -
>> > though there may be some who approach 3 or 4 nines.

>> This whole obsession with removing the last vestige of animal cells
>> is a key indicator of the vegan fallacy/mythology. The impact of one's
>> diet and lifestyle is not linked directly to this number, as put forth in
>> the
>> vegan dream-time.

> Good point - that number is one of -many- indicators that can give some
> idea as to the impact of diet on health, society, etc. Without other
> information it is basically a useless datum.

That number is absolutely useless as an indicator of those
relevant data once it passes a certain point far above zero.

What it is, is a scorecard which vegans who score well
use to declare themselves superior to others, and which
quasi-veg*ns view as not so important or too bothersome
to attempt.

Dutch wrote:
> > wrote

> >> Yes. The vast majority of nutritionists sing the praises
> >> of diets high in fiber, fresh fruits and vegetables. These
> >> are non-vegetarians. Vegetarians are the ones claiming
> >> that only diets completely *devoid* of animal products
> >> can be truly healthful, and ethical.
> >>

> > Please do not equate the words of the few with the thoughts of the
> > many.
> >
> > You meant to say "some vegetarians... ". They are wrong.

> Based on my experience here on this group in the last five years
> it is the vast majority. Your claimed moderate outlook represents
> a small minority. *You* represent the few, not the other way around.

Well I yield to your larger experience in this group, but I don't see
that kind of thinking from most of the self proclaimed vegetarians I
know. Don't ignore or offend the minority - especially if you agree
with them.

> >> That's false. The fundamental principle of AR/veganism is that killing
> >> animals is an a priori wrong.
> >>

> > There's the straw man again. Is the fundamental principle of
> > omnivorism that killing animals is an a priori right? No.

> Yes.

You are arguing that the killing of any animal under any circumstances
is right? No, it is not a priori right - i.e. there are circumstances
which you disagree with the killing (timing, method, species, etc.).

> > Everyone agrees that a suffering animal sometimes should be put out of
> > its misery.

> Not the same thing..
>
> Everyone agrees that lions culling a herd of wildebeast is
> > not an a priori wrong - to give two examples.

> Lions are not moral agents, only a fool discusses right and
> wrong in the context of animal behaviour.
>
> You might have mentioned the thinning of deer herds by
> controlled hunting.

Yes.

Another good example is the benefit of hunting to elephant populations.
In some areas the increased revenues from hunters gives the locals a
reason to maintain the habitat and enforce anti-poaching laws.

Another example is when a species is imported and messes up the local
ecology.

> >> Those are utilitarian concerns not necessarily related to vegetarianism.
> >>

> > These are the central tenets of vegetarianism!!

> They are items of window dressing. The central tenent of vegetarianism is
> the
> idea that it is wrong to kill animals.

It has nothing to do with what we eat?

> > Vegetarians will
> > certainly find much to disagree about amongst themselves but they will
> > probably all agree that diet choices should reflect those three things.

> Those tenets are of concern to people who follow all
> types of diets.
>
> Once again, a veg*n attempts to lay exclusive claim to
> the moral high ground.

Good point, they should be of concern to all. Sorry if I suggested
exclusivity..

> [..]

> >> Yes, but she runs for cover when the mammals and birds are mentioned.

> >> I'm willing to take a share of responsibility, philisophically speaking,
> >> for everything I knowingly support.
> >>

> > Well put. I strive for that ideal as well.

> I think that you will find that most veg*ns who contribute
> to these groups prefer to find some way to weasel out of
> responsibility for the collateral death toll associated with
> agriculture. There are many variations, too many to list.
> The one we see lately from Derek and SN is probably the
> most despicable and least supportable of all. "Blame it all
> on the dirty farmer." There is also flat denial, demand for
> unreasonable proof, such as peer-reviewed studies of
> collateral deaths in agriculture, asserting that they are
> "unecessary", or not specifically demanded, therefore
> less significant. Another one I hate is the cheesy moral
> relativity of, "at least I cause fewer deaths than X".
>
> [...]

Yes, we should accept responsibility for our actions and not always be
pointing the finger.

> >> This whole obsession with removing the last vestige of animal cells
> >> is a key indicator of the vegan fallacy/mythology. The impact of one's
> >> diet and lifestyle is not linked directly to this number, as put forth in
> >> the
> >> vegan dream-time.

> > Good point - that number is one of -many- indicators that can give some
> > idea as to the impact of diet on health, society, etc. Without other
> > information it is basically a useless datum.

> That number is absolutely useless as an indicator of those
> relevant data once it passes a certain point far above zero.
>
> What it is, is a scorecard which vegans who score well
> use to declare themselves superior to others, and which
> quasi-veg*ns view as not so important or too bothersome
> to attempt.

There is some statistical significance to the number. Health insurance
companies have tried and would LOVE to get their hands on such figures
and adjust rates accordingly. Unfortunately for them there's no
reliable way to know what people are really eating (or smoking) - and
there may even be some legislation that keeps such information off
limits to them.

Dutch

> wrote
>

> Dutch wrote:

> Well I yield to your larger experience in this group, but I don't see
> that kind of thinking from most of the self proclaimed vegetarians I
> know. Don't ignore or offend the minority - especially if you agree
> with them.

I think for the most part that those people
are not attracted here to have this discussion.

[..]

>> > There's the straw man again. Is the fundamental principle of
>> > omnivorism that killing animals is an a priori right? No.

>> Yes.
>>

> You are arguing that the killing of any animal under any circumstances
> is right? No, it is not a priori right - i.e. there are circumstances
> which you disagree with the killing (timing, method, species, etc.).

I agree that there are exceptions. As I understand the meaning
of a priori, it means essentially that the right exists by default
unless there is a overriding exception to prohibit it.

[..]

> It has nothing to do with what we eat?

It has something to do with eating, but "ethical vegetarianism",
which is what we are actually discussing, has much more to do
with the politics of killing animals than food.

[..]

Scented Nectar

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> usual suspect wrote:
> > Scented Nectar wrote:
> > <...>
> >
> > I didn't blame anyone, you filthy [expletive].
> >

> Always the gentleman, isn't he. I prefer "****wit" personally.
>

> > Activists and other snake-oil salesmen (e.g., your continued parroting
> > of unfounded bullshit about hemp oil even after being informed what
> > omega-6 and omega-9 FAs really are).
> >

> And here we have coninued parroting of unfounded bullshit about omega-6
> and omega-9 FAs after being informed what diets are correlated with
> cancer and other diseases.
>
> BTW who is selling the snake-oil, vegetarians? LOL

> > > The farmers and equipment
> > > manufacturers are.

> > Stop passing the buck. You know the alternatives if you believe killing
> > animals is wrong. Your refusal to engage in the existing alternatives
> > and to pass the buck in this manner shows how disingenuous you are. You
> > are unprincipled.
> >

> The killing of animals is not necessarily wrong. Everyone agrees with
> this even the veg*ns so you are beating up a straw man. Way more
> important is the treatment of the animals - treatment of our
> environment - and our health.

> > > Nope.

> > Yes. Your consumption of specific foods produced in specific ways,
> > despite the existence of reasonable alternatives, puts the blame
> > squarely on your sagging shoulders.
> >

> I bet Scented is willing to take that blame for the death of those
> worms.

Yes I am. And for some
insects too. If I do my own
farming in the future, there
will likely be even more. I
would like to enrich the soil
enough on it's first dig to
not need redigging up for
reconditioning for 5 years
to eternity. I don't know
what good top dressing
can do to keep it fertile,
but I will try, and not redig
until it's needed for sure.
Hopefully, now that I know
that worms don't always
regenerate, the soil will
help them flourish once
it's mixed with nourishing
stuff.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

> Are you willing to take the blame for helping build the Georgia
> hog-runoff cesspool? For supporting industrial farm practices which
> treat animals as inanimate?
>
> > [...]
> >
> > The years have already told us that "serious vegetarians" are stuck
> > below 2% of the entire population. You're ****ed if you're going to wait
> > for others to practice what YOU preach [expletive]
> >

> We all eat vegetables, that puts the number at 100%. So what do you
> mean by "serious vegetarian", and which population are you talking
> about? How about 99% of calories from vegetables, is that about where
> you get the 2% from? Certainly nobody gets 100% from vegetables -
> though there may be some who approach 3 or 4 nines.

Scented Nectar

"Dutch" > wrote in message

> > wrote
>
> > BTW who is selling the snake-oil, vegetarians? LOL

> Yes. The vast majority of nutritionists sing the praises
> of diets high in fiber, fresh fruits and vegetables. These
> are non-vegetarians. Vegetarians are the ones claiming
> that only diets completely *devoid* of animal products
> can be truly healthful, and ethical.
>
> [..]
>
> > > Stop passing the buck. You know the alternatives if you believe

killing
> > > animals is wrong. Your refusal to engage in the existing alternatives
> > > and to pass the buck in this manner shows how disingenuous you are.

You
> > > are unprincipled.
> > >

> > The killing of animals is not necessarily wrong. Everyone agrees with
> > this even the veg*ns so you are beating up a straw man.

> That's false. The fundamental principle of AR/veganism is that killing
> animals is an a priori wrong.
>
> >Way more
> > important is the treatment of the animals - treatment of our
> > environment - and our health.

> Those are utilitarian concerns not necessarily related to vegetarianism.
>
> [..]
>
> > > Yes. Your consumption of specific foods produced in specific ways,
> > > despite the existence of reasonable alternatives, puts the blame
> > > squarely on your sagging shoulders.
> > >

> > I bet Scented is willing to take that blame for the death of those
> > worms.

> Yes, but she runs for cover when the mammals and birds are mentioned.

That's because I don't feel
I'm to blame for them. With
worms and insects, I know
(because I was there) that
I was directly responsible
for slicing worms while
digging up garden space,
and bugs while using my
homemade pesticide.
The mammals and birds
happen on commercial
farmers farms, on their
watch, so to speak.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

> > Are you willing to take the blame for helping build the Georgia
> > hog-runoff cesspool? For supporting industrial farm practices which
> > treat animals as inanimate?

> I'm willing to take a share of responsibility, philisophically speaking,
> for everything I knowingly support.
>
> [...]
> > >
> > > The years have already told us that "serious vegetarians" are stuck
> > > below 2% of the entire population. You're ****ed if you're going to

wait
> > > for others to practice what YOU preach [expletive]
> > >

> > We all eat vegetables, that puts the number at 100%. So what do you
> > mean by "serious vegetarian", and which population are you talking
> > about? How about 99% of calories from vegetables, is that about where
> > you get the 2% from? Certainly nobody gets 100% from vegetables -
> > though there may be some who approach 3 or 4 nines.

> This whole obsession with removing the last vestige of animal cells
> is a key indicator of the vegan fallacy/mythology. The impact of one's
> diet and lifestyle is not linked directly to this number, as put forth in
> the
> vegan dream-time.

farrell77

"Scented Nectar" > wrote in message
> "usual suspect" > wrote in message
> news

[...]

kill?

> > > Yes, the fewer the better. Just
> > > like cds, almost.

> > You're pretty ****ed up if you think someone is "better" or "more
> > ethical" for killing 40 people instead of 50.

Why wouldn't it be more ethical (or less unethical) to kill fewer
people?

Even Rudy said immorality is cumulative. Is he wrong?

farrell77

"Scented Nectar" > wrote in message
> "usual suspect" > wrote in message
> > Scented Nectar wrote:
> > <...>

> > > Just to immorality?

> > Something is either right or wrong, moral or not moral.

So there's no scale to immorality, in the sense that no
immoral action can be more immoral than another immoral
action?

Dutch

"Scented Nectar" > wrote
> > wrote
> > > Yes. Your consumption of specific foods produced in specific ways,
> > > despite the existence of reasonable alternatives, puts the blame
> > > squarely on your sagging shoulders.
> > >

> > I bet Scented is willing to take that blame for the death of those
> > worms.

> Yes I am. And for some
> insects too.

Why not all the birds, mammals, and amphibians
that die to support your comfortable lifestyle?

Are they not worthy?

Dutch

"Scented Nectar" > wrote
> "Dutch" > wrote

> > > I bet Scented is willing to take that blame for the death of those
> > > worms.

> > Yes, but she runs for cover when the mammals and birds are mentioned.

> That's because I don't feel
> I'm to blame for them.

You are complicit. You can't escape it any more
than meat consumers can escape the fact that
animals are killed for them, and not always humanely.

When you choose to be part of a process, you
assume responsibility for forseeable systemic outcomes
within it..

Scented Nectar

"Dutch" > wrote in message
> "Scented Nectar" > wrote
> > "Dutch" > wrote

> > > Yes, but she runs for cover when the mammals and birds are mentioned.

> > That's because I don't feel
> > I'm to blame for them.

> You are complicit. You can't escape it any more
> than meat consumers can escape the fact that
> animals are killed for them, and not always humanely.
>
> When you choose to be part of a process, you
> assume responsibility for forseeable systemic outcomes
> within it..

But when there is no reasonable
alternatives to buying/supporting
such products, it diminishes,
maybe eliminates responsibility.
One has to consider the stage
of the process at which the
deaths are occurring, and take
action there. If the farmers are
being given no choice in their
machinery, which I suspect is
the case, then the equipment
manufacturerers must be held
accountable. If from all sides
it's reasonably unavoidable,
then maybe we just have to
accept those until a better
idea comes up. Meat is in my
opinion avoidable of course.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Scented Nectar

"Dutch" > wrote in message

> "Scented Nectar" > wrote
> > > wrote
> > > >

> > > I bet Scented is willing to take that blame for the death of those
> > > worms.

> > Yes I am. And for some
> > insects too.

> Why not all the birds, mammals, and amphibians
> that die to support your comfortable lifestyle?
>
> Are they not worthy?

They're worthy. And probably the
bugs I've killed too, but the rest
don't happen on my watch or at my
request.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Rudy Canoza

Scented Nectar wrote:

> "Dutch" > wrote in message
>
>>"Scented Nectar" > wrote
>>
>>>"Dutch" > wrote

>>>That's because I don't feel
>>>I'm to blame for them.

>>You are complicit. You can't escape it any more
>>than meat consumers can escape the fact that
>>animals are killed for them, and not always humanely.
>>
>>When you choose to be part of a process, you
>>assume responsibility for forseeable systemic outcomes
>>within it..

> But when there is no reasonable
> alternatives to buying/supporting
> such products,

There is a reasonable alternative. You just find it
aesthetically distasteful.
Scented Nectar

"Rudy Canoza" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Scented Nectar wrote:
>
> > "Dutch" > wrote in message
> >
> >>"Scented Nectar" > wrote

> >>You are complicit. You can't escape it any more
> >>than meat consumers can escape the fact that
> >>animals are killed for them, and not always humanely.
> >>
> >>When you choose to be part of a process, you
> >>assume responsibility for forseeable systemic outcomes
> >>within it..

> > But when there is no reasonable
> > alternatives to buying/supporting
> > such products,

> There is a reasonable alternative. You just find it
> aesthetically distasteful.

It's not the aesthetics of farming
commercially. It's the uncertainty.
I don't know how good at it I'd be.
To depend on it would be
unreasonable. On the other hand,
where I work, I do my job very
well, know it, feel secure in it,
and will get an extra pension
out of it. Waiting until retirement
to farm, is much more reasonable,
not having to depend on selling
to other people. I could grow
only for myself and others of
my choice if I want, or venture
a shot at some commercial
growing. I'm assuming in the
above of course, that your
alternative was to commercially
farm? Don't forget, I'd need
my own land to farm as close
to veganic as I can. Bye bye
savings, hello uncertainty if
I quit and moved to the
country today.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

usual suspect

Scented Nectar wrote:
> "usual suspect" > wrote in message
>
>>Scented Nectar wrote:
>>
>>>"usual suspect" > wrote in message
.. .

> note

> vegans.

> Utopian

> based

> just

>>>meat.

>>>Ask nicely.

>>Not after your chickenshit attempt to get *others* to accuse me of
>>usenet abuse to my ISP just because you happen to disagree with me.

> Considering what you were
> calling me, you can't really
> complain, can you?

My complaint is about your passivity in *everything*. You think killing
animals is wrong, but wait for others like farmers and warehousemen to
change things they routinely do (without any feeling of guilt) to
minimize *your* culpability. You object to valid names (see below)
others call you and then you post abuse complaint addresses and hope
others will do what you won't.

You have a *very deep* character flaw. The irony is you'd probably send
in a complaint about the use of the word "****" long before you'd ever
attempt to meaningfully address the moral crisis you have with respect
to your consumption in light of your stated principles. Note your
refusal to address the evidence provided to you about consumption of
organic foods as well as your refusal to engage in a discussion about
how wasteful foods like tofu, seitan, and products made from the two
(Yves!) really are compared to grazed ruminants (do you eat grass? no,
you smoke it), wild game, poultry, and various other livestock.

For the record, the word you're whining about has been used
*legitimately*. Among its definitions is, "Used as a disparaging term
for a person one dislikes or finds extremely disagreeable." I've already
explained what I find extremely disagreeable about you: your persistent
refusal to admit the scope of your errors and your propensity to make
things up (e.g., that 'veganic' foods will be on supermarket shelves,
that farmers will adopt 'veganic' methods as the norm, that vegetarians
buy most of the organic food, and that ANY meat requires more input per
pound than either tofu or seitan). You deserve to be disparaged
similarly for your advocacy of marijuana, which is probably where your
complete disconnect from reality lies.

Finally, the word "****" has a rich history and has been embraced by
feminists in the same manner which homosexuals have embraced the word
"queer." I refuse to eliminate it from my vocabulary.
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/enc.../C/Cu/****.htm

usual suspect

Scented Nectar wrote:

>>>You have snipped out where
>>>you used the term 'immoral
>>>in the extreme'.

>>*I* didn't use that term, idiot.

> My bad. It was Dutch.

No apology?

> plate

>>>Don't you mean shitty memory,
>>>rather than shit memory?

>>I thought I recalled a post in which you called your memory "shit."

> I suppose it's possible. The
> correct usage

I put it in quotation marks for a reason: because I recalled you saying
that. FWIW, I don't need grammatical lessons from someone who
incessantly misuses "less" for "fewer" and vice versa and whose posts
read like they were written by a mediocre fourth-grader.

> meat.
>
>>>Is the 15.4 the total of all
>>>organics, MINUS the animal
>>>products?

>>It's the total for all organic products, dumb ass.

> That's where there's a problem.

That's NOT a problem. Your claim has been that most organics are
purchased by vegetarians. If you'd read the links I offered, you'd find
that meat is a small but very fast growing segment of organic food
production: "Only 0.2% of American pastureland and rangeland is
certified organic, however a large rise in organic farmland is predicted
as more meat producers take the organic route." Etc.

>>>The growth of
>>>demand for organic meats
>>>doesn't show what the
>>>vegetarians are buying.

>>The data show that <2% of the population aren't buying >50% of the $15.4
>>billion of organic products in the US.

> Of course not, if your data
> includes meat in it.. Who's
> buying all that?

More than one-half of Americans (54 percent) have tried organic
foods, with nearly one-third (29 percent) claiming to consume
more organic foods and beverages than one year ago, according to
the 2003 Whole Foods Market Organic Foods Trend Tracker....The
overwhelming majority (69 percent) of "frequent organic eaters"
(eat organic several times a week) claim they are eating more
organic foods than one year ago; meanwhile, 43 percent of
"occasional organic eaters" (eat organic several times a month)
and 16 percent of "infrequent organic eaters" (have tried, but
do not consume regularly) report eating more organic foods than
one year ago. Overall, 14 percent of the U.S. population is
eating more organic foods than they were one year ago.
http://www.wholefoods.com/company/pr_10-14-03.html

What percentage of the population is vegetarian? *Less than two-percent*.

Additionally, WFM's survey showed that 19% of purchases were meat. That
leaves over four-fifths of all food purchases. Vegetarians are not
making the bulk of those purchases.

You don't have to admit you're wrong. I've already proven it.

>>>Do you have any figures?

>>Yes. I've given them to you before.
>>
>>GLUTEN
>>Average wheat flour contains about 13% protein, and gluten
>> accounts for 80% of that. A pound of vital gluten, then, would
>> require over 9.5 pounds of flour. It would then have to be
>> hydrated if it were purchased already processed. Much of the
>> weight of seitan is going to be water, but one uses a tremendous
>> amount of water when washing out the starch to make seitan on
>> one's own. No matter how you cut it, it's wasteful of grain and
>> water resources and requires more water and grain per pound than
>> a turkey would.
>>
>>See also:
>>http://tinyurl.com/crax7
>>http://www.smallgrains.org/springwh/mar99/import.htm
>>http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...7736.Bc.r.html
>>
>>TOFU
>>Tofu is mostly water. According to the following article, one pound of
>>soybeans should yield 3.5-4 pounds of tofu. The recipe itself yields
>>22-26 ounces depending how much water is pressed out (soft vs firm). The
>>weight of the water input is >13x the weight of the soybeans -- 11 cups
>>of water is just over 2.6 liters, or 5.72 pounds of water by weight. A
>>cup of soybeans weighs seven ounces -- less than 1/2 pound.
>>
>>Recipe:
>>
>> http://www.motherearthnews.com/libra...e_Book_of_Tofu

>>soybean volume:weight conversion:
>>http://www.fareshare.net/conversions...to-weight.html
>>

>>>Or are you just guessing
>>>again?

>>I don't make wild guesses, bitch -- YOU do.

> Back in the 80s

Stop changing the subject. You questioned my figures, which I'd already
supported. I supported them for you again. Don't tell me about the
1980s. Stick to the issue.

You don't have to admit you're wrong. I've already proven it.

> Now it's tofu and gluten. Those
> don't play a very big role in
> my diet, although I eat them
> sometimes. What fodder
> to food ratio are you using
> for the grain fed beef?

You mean grain-*finished* beef.

The length of time that cattle spend in feedlots on high grain
diets is variable. A calf typically starts life in March to May
and remains with the cow on pasture or range until October or
November. The calf may then be moved to a feedlot or may be
maintained on a forage feeding program until a year later when
it is moved to a feedlot as a yearling. Thus, beef cattle
generally enter feedlots at weights of 450 to 650 pounds
(calves), or 650 to 900 pounds (yearlings). For example, calves
may enter the feedlot at 500 pounds and be marketed at about
1,100 pounds. Yearlings may enter the feedlot at 750 pounds and
be marketed at about 1,200 pounds, while heavy yearlings enter
at about 900 pounds and are marketed at about 1,200 pounds.

How much grain and protein supplement are required to produce a
pound of retail beef?

* 1,200-pound beef cows marketed at 7 years of age have
consumed a total of 840 pounds of protein supplement (120 pounds
per year).
* 500-pound feedlot calves fed to 1,100 pounds consume 6.5
pounds of total feed (80 percent grain and protein supplement)
per pound of gain.
* 750-pound feedlot yearlings fed to 1,200 pounds consume
7.2 pounds of total feed (90 percent grain and protein
supplement) per pound of gain.
* Yield of retail beef per pound of live weight is .45 pound
(.35 pound for cows).

Thus, it takes 2 pounds of grain and protein supplement to
produce a pound of retail beef from beef cows and 3.6 pounds for
heavy yearlings. For lighter weight yearlings and calves, the
figures are 5.4 pounds and 6.3 pounds. These calculations do not
consider the fertilizer value of the manure and urine provided
by cattle during grazing and finishing.

Contrary to some published claims, it does not take 16 pounds of
grain to produce a pound of beef (Robbins 1987). Since beef cows
are a major source of ground beef, a value between 3 and 4
pounds of grain and protein supplement to produce a pound of
ground beef would be appropriate. Only by assuming that beef
animals are fed diets composed largely of grains from birth to
market weight could a value as great as 16 pounds be obtained.
Those familiar with the beef industry know that this does not
occur. In fact, cattle do not require any grain for the
production of meat; the microbes in the rumen manufacture
high-quality protein from nonprotein nitrogen.
http://tinyurl.com/93mwm

You don't have to admit you're wrong. I've already proven it.

> trains).
>
>>>Yey you claim that it's only
>>>wrong if I do it,

>>I'm not violating your principles. You are.

> I'm not violating my principles.

Yes, you are. You say it's wrong to kill animals yet you object to
changing your ways to meet your rhetoric.

>>>through

> eat

>>>Quite a telling collection.

>>You're quite a weirdo.

>>>None of your business. Stop
>>>fishing.

>>You've clearly nothing to add to your one-item list.

> Nothing to share with you.

Nothing period.

>>>Actually, it's next May, it will
>>>be 25 years.

>>The fact that you would remember such a date is pathetic.

> No.

Yes.

> I think it's neat.

Another indication of your arrested development.

>>>What do you have against that?

>>Don't act so defensive, Skanky.

> I'm not.

You are.

> Just wondering why
> you are so disdainful about
> my vegiversary.

I wouldn't say I'm acting with disdain. It's amusement.

>>>Nah,

>>Yes. You're a rank hypocrite.

> do

>>>So you don't call yourself
>>>a flexitarian?

>>Not in the context of identitying with others.
>>

>>>That's a word
>>>you sought to use.

>>Only as a valid description of what most vegetarians actually eat.

> A flexitarian, being a meat eater
> is never vegetarian.

Since you want to give me grammar lessons, allow me to help you. Two
commas are used when setting off a participle phrase in middle of a
sentence:
A flexitarian, being a meat eater, is never a vegetarian.

As to the substance of your comment, it's funny that you see absolutes
here but not when it comes to your silliness that "killing animals is
wrong." A flexitarian's diet is predominantly vegetarian, but not
rigidly so. I recall discussions at afv in which "vegans" fell off the
bandwagon temporarily, confessed their sins, and other "vegans" were
quick to forgive them and let them be "vegans" again -- even though they
had dairy, honey, meat, or bought new leather. Were they really still
"vegans"?

Back to this issue, that raises a question. What's the *qualitative*
difference between a flexitarian and a vegetarian? I think at the heart
of the matter is the reason(s) for one being vegetarian in the first
place. Flexitarians are entirely health-oriented. If the reason for
being vegetarian is health, one can't object to the consumption of meat
on occasion (flexitarianism) or even frequent consumption of lean,
healthful meats. I've already detailed for you numerous times that
various meats can be part of a healthful diet.

That gets us to the objection about "dead animals," which immediately
betrays the objector's *real* sentiments about vegetarianism: that it
has more to do with animal rights than other issues (i.e., health). One
doesn't rationally object to "dead animals" in a healthful diet. One
emotes by calling them dead in the first place and demonstrates
irrational thought by willfully refusing to accept that meat can be part
of a healthful diet.

You keep coming back to dead animals despite the evidence. You're
irrational, emotive, and your reasons for being vegetarian have
absolutely NOTHING to do with health and EVERYTHING to do with your
now-proven-to-be-sham principle that killing animals is wrong. You
object to animals only when they appear on plates, not when they're killed.

>>>Yes it is.

>>No.

> Yep.

No.

> You fought over politics

Correct.

> and now all vegans are in the
> doghouse.

Non sequitur. My objection has been to veganISM. I still get along great
with certain vegans. You seem to believe this is all personal. It isn't.
It's about unfounded claims people like you make.

> I think I'm seeing it
> correctly.

I disagree:
Effects of smoking are generally felt within a few minutes and
peak in 10 to 30 minutes. They include dry mouth and throat,
increased heart rate, *impaired coordination and balance*,
*delayed reaction time*, and *diminished short-term memory*.
Moderate doses tend to induce a sense of well-being and a dreamy
state of relaxation that *encourages fantasies*, *renders some
users highly suggestible*, and *distorts perception* (making it
dangerous to operate machinery, drive a car or boat, or ride a
bicycle). *Stronger doses prompt more intense and often
disturbing reactions including paranoia and hallucinations*....

*Marijuana use reduces learning ability*. Research has been
piling up of late demonstrating clearly that *marijuana limits
the capacity to absorb and retain information*. A 1995 study of
college students discovered that the inability of heavy
marijuana users to focus, sustain attention, and organize data
persists for as long as 24 hours after their last use of the
drug. Earlier research, comparing cognitive abilities of adult
marijuana users with non-using adults, found that users fall
short on memory as well as math and verbal skills. Although it
has yet to be proven conclusively that heavy marijuana use can
cause irreversible loss of intellectual capacity, animal studies
have shown *marijuana-induced structural damage to portions of
the brain essential to memory and learning*.
http://www.acde.org/common/Marijana.htm

You and Derek both admit to using drugs. Note that use of marijuana is
associated with encouragement of fantasies and distortion of perception.
You're *not* seeing anything clearly.

> and

> legumes,

> is

>>>I guess you weren't comprehending.

>>You're the one who doesn't comprehend. It doesn't matter that you're
>>arguing one is even worse, you're still using it to justify your
>>actions/inactions.

> We are really talking about cds
> here. What is better? More or
> less? I say less.

So says the weirdo who wrote, "Killing animals is wrong." It's either
acceptable or not. Period. Not "acceptable to kill fewer" or
"unacceptable to kill more."

>>>If I took you more seriously, I
>>>could complain to your ISP and
>>>get you booted out.

>>Booted out from what? I haven't violated their AUP. My posts to both
>>these groups have been on topic. The problem you have is that you
>>disagree with me. Tough shit, Skanky.

> You should think it through

YOU should think a lot of things through before you go off telling me
what not to write. You've repeatedly been given evidence showing that
your stated beliefs, your ASSumptions, and everything else you espouse
is 180-degrees from reality. You *don't* think. You probably never have.

That word fits you like a T.
usual suspect

> usual suspect wrote:
>
>>Scented Nectar wrote:
>><...>
>>
>>I didn't blame anyone, you filthy [expletive].

> Always the gentleman, isn't he. I prefer "****wit" personally.

I'll remember that next time you make a ridiculous statement. BTW, why
did you edit out "****" but see fit to type in "****wit"?

>>Activists and other snake-oil salesmen (e.g., your continued parroting
>>of unfounded bullshit about hemp oil even after being informed what
>>omega-6 and omega-9 FAs really are).

> And here we have coninued parroting of unfounded bullshit about omega-6
> and omega-9 FAs after being informed what diets are correlated with
> cancer and other diseases.

Actually, the person parroting about omega-6 and -9 was Skanky:

I guess you forgot to mention that I said hempseed
oil had all 3 omega acids, 3, 6, and 9. It's been you
that's been emphasising and criticising the 6 part
of it. Many oil have omega 6, but not 3 and 9. I
believe that hempseed oil gives a good balance.
http://tinyurl.com/ad6ut

Etc.

> BTW who is selling the snake-oil, vegetarians? LOL

Yes:
SNAKE OIL: A worthless preparation fraudulently peddled as a
cure for many ills.
http://www.answers.com/topic/snake-oil-1

>>>The farmers and equipment
>>>manufacturers are.

>>Stop passing the buck. You know the alternatives if you believe killing
>>animals is wrong. Your refusal to engage in the existing alternatives
>>and to pass the buck in this manner shows how disingenuous you are. You
>>are unprincipled.

> The killing of animals is not necessarily wrong.

Skanky says it is.

> Everyone agrees with
> this even the veg*ns

Read their websites.

> so you are beating up a straw man.

I do indeed believe that killing animals is wrong...
http://tinyurl.com/88pb4

> Way more
> important is the treatment of the animals - treatment of our
> environment - and our health.

Non sequiturs. Not one of those issues is incompatible with any farming
method.

>>>Nope.

>>Yes. Your consumption of specific foods produced in specific ways,
>>despite the existence of reasonable alternatives, puts the blame
>>squarely on your sagging shoulders.

> I bet Scented is willing to take that blame for the death of those
> worms.

A few worms, yes. The *rest* of the animals killed due to her choices as
a consumer, no. She passes the buck for ALL of them.

> Are you willing to take the blame for helping build the Georgia
> hog-runoff cesspool? For supporting industrial farm practices which
> treat animals as inanimate?

Cut the emotive questions. What farm practice isn't "industrial"?

>>[...]
>>
>>The years have already told us that "serious vegetarians" are stuck
>>below 2% of the entire population. You're ****ed if you're going to wait
>>for others to practice what YOU preach [expletive]

> We all eat vegetables, that puts the number at 100%. So what do you
> mean by "serious vegetarian",

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/content.asp?contentid=4949

> and which population are you talking
> about?

US population.

> How about 99% of calories from vegetables, is that about where
> you get the 2% from?

The <2% is the size of the "serious vegetarian" population of the US as
noted in the article referenced previously.

> Certainly nobody gets 100% from vegetables -
> though there may be some who approach 3 or 4 nines.

You really should read through the thread before making such an ass of
yourself, shev.
usual suspect

>>>BTW who is selling the snake-oil, vegetarians? LOL

>>Yes. The vast majority of nutritionists sing the praises
>>of diets high in fiber, fresh fruits and vegetables. These
>>are non-vegetarians. Vegetarians are the ones claiming
>>that only diets completely *devoid* of animal products
>>can be truly healthful, and ethical.

> Please do not equate the words of the few with the thoughts of the
> many.

Those "few" are the activists who convince others to "go vegan" in the
first place. Their motives and data are equally suspect.

> You meant to say "some vegetarians... ".

No. The claim is the rule, not an exception.

> They are wrong.

Very much so.

>>>The killing of animals is not necessarily wrong. Everyone agrees with
>>>this even the veg*ns so you are beating up a straw man.

>>That's false. The fundamental principle of AR/veganism is that killing
>>animals is an a priori wrong.

> There's the straw man again.

Not a strawman. They even use that principle to force their peculiar set
of ethics onto other species:
Most people would agree that hurting others is wrong. However,
many of us have neglected the simple rule: Do no harm. Even
though we know, both from a scientific and a subjective point of
view, that animals feel pain when we cage, dominate, and kill
them, more than 6 billion animals live and die under horrible
conditions every year in the U.S. Could it ever be right for a
person to needlessly cause pain and death to another? Shouldn't
we put the needs of others before our pleasures?

This is especially true if it is our pleasure that directly
causes their suffering. But even if one accepts that eating
other animals is wrong for humans, does the same logic apply to
dogs who eat other animals? Isn't it natural for dogs to eat
meat?

First, whether something is "natural" (presumably defined as
arising without human intervention) has no bearing on whether it
is good. For example, radiation, famine, and malaria are all
"natural," but this does not make them personally desirable for
us or our animal companions.

Second, since it is unlikely that an animal possesses the
ability to think, "Gee, I really shouldn't chase that cat
because it isn't nice," a dog should not be held to an ethical
standard. Therefore, it is not wrong for dogs to eat meat.

But, is it right for humans to participate in the killing of
other animals by feeding meat to their canine companions? To
answer this question, we need only consider two issues: 1) Does
raising and killing animals for food inflict suffering on
others? and 2) Must we kill animals to feed our companion
animals? If an activity is both cruel and unnecessary, then it
is wrong.

If the reader has any doubt about the answer to the first
question, please read the books by Peter Singer and John Robbins
listed on page 50...
http://vegetariandogs.com/

The following poll has a very small sampling, but it reflects other data
I've seen from veg-n surveys:
http://tinyurl.com/9e9pv

This is a bigger survey.
Why vegan? 87% of people are vegan for ethical/moral reasons.
http://www.imaner.net/panel/profile.htm

> Is the fundamental principle of
> omnivorism that killing animals is an a priori right? No.
> Everyone agrees that a suffering animal sometimes should be put out of
> its misery. Everyone agrees that lions culling a herd of wildebeast is
> not an a priori wrong - to give two examples.

Many vegans not only try to convince other humans to follow their
lifestyle, they bully other species into eating a plant-based diet.

>>>Way more
>>>important is the treatment of the animals - treatment of our
>>>environment - and our health.

>>Those are utilitarian concerns not necessarily related to vegetarianism.

> These are the central tenets of vegetarianism!!

No, they're not. Health and environment are *entirely distinct* from
vegetarianism.

> Vegetarians will
> certainly find much to disagree about amongst themselves

Doubtful.

> but they will
> probably all agree that diet choices should reflect those three things.

No. Not all vegetarians are concerned with animal welfare. Most only
give lip service to issues about health (read some of the fried, sugary
recipes posted to AFV) and the environment.

>>[..]

>>>I bet Scented is willing to take that blame for the death of those
>>>worms.

>>Yes, but she runs for cover when the mammals and birds are mentioned.
>>

>>>Are you willing to take the blame for helping build the Georgia
>>>hog-runoff cesspool? For supporting industrial farm practices which
>>>treat animals as inanimate?

>>I'm willing to take a share of responsibility, philisophically speaking,
>>for everything I knowingly support.

> Well put. I strive for that ideal as well.
>

>> [...]
>>>>

>>>We all eat vegetables, that puts the number at 100%. So what do you
>>>mean by "serious vegetarian", and which population are you talking
>>>about? How about 99% of calories from vegetables, is that about where
>>>you get the 2% from? Certainly nobody gets 100% from vegetables -
>>>though there may be some who approach 3 or 4 nines.

>>This whole obsession with removing the last vestige of animal cells
>>is a key indicator of the vegan fallacy/mythology. The impact of one's
>>diet and lifestyle is not linked directly to this number, as put forth in
>>the
>>vegan dream-time.

> Good point - that number is one of -many- indicators that can give some
> idea as to the impact of diet on health, society, etc. Without other
> information it is basically a useless datum.

usual suspect

Scented Nectar wrote:
> "Dutch" > wrote in message
>
> wrote
>>

>>>BTW who is selling the snake-oil, vegetarians? LOL

>>Yes. The vast majority of nutritionists sing the praises
>>of diets high in fiber, fresh fruits and vegetables. These
>>are non-vegetarians. Vegetarians are the ones claiming
>>that only diets completely *devoid* of animal products
>>can be truly healthful, and ethical.
>>
>>[..]

> killing

> You

>>>The killing of animals is not necessarily wrong. Everyone agrees with
>>>this even the veg*ns so you are beating up a straw man.

>>That's false. The fundamental principle of AR/veganism is that killing
>>animals is an a priori wrong.
>>

>>>Way more
>>>important is the treatment of the animals - treatment of our
>>>environment - and our health.

>>Those are utilitarian concerns not necessarily related to vegetarianism.
>>
>>[..]

>>>I bet Scented is willing to take that blame for the death of those
>>>worms.

>>Yes, but she runs for cover when the mammals and birds are mentioned.

> That's because I don't feel
> I'm to blame for them.

You are whether you "feel" it or not.

<...>
> The mammals and birds
> happen on commercial
> farmers farms, on their
> watch, so to speak.

Entirely for YOUR consumption: you want produce at a certain price. You
get it and all the deaths attributable to the "short cuts" taken so it's
worth the farmer's time to grow it for you.
usual suspect

Scented Nectar wrote:
> "Rudy Canoza" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>
>>Scented Nectar wrote:

>>>But when there is no reasonable
>>>alternatives to buying/supporting
>>>such products,

>>There is a reasonable alternative. You just find it
>>aesthetically distasteful.

> It's not the aesthetics of farming
> commercially.

Yes, it is.

> It's the uncertainty.

Pitiful excuse.

> I don't know how good at it I'd be.

About as good as anything else you ever tried -- not very.

> To depend on it would be
> unreasonable.

Not at all, and certainly more reasonable to practice what you preach.

<snip your tired, rambling litany of BS excuses>

Rudy Canoza

Scented Nectar wrote:
> "Rudy Canoza" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>
>>Scented Nectar wrote:

>>>But when there is no reasonable
>>>alternatives to buying/supporting
>>>such products,

>>There is a reasonable alternative. You just find it
>>aesthetically distasteful.

> It's not the aesthetics of farming
> commercially. It's the uncertainty.
> I don't know how good at it I'd be.

You'll never know until you try it, and you'll never try.

> To depend on it would be
> unreasonable.

No, it wouldn't.

> On the other hand,
> where I work, I do my job very
> well, know it, feel secure in it,
> and will get an extra pension
> out of it.

So you make your ethics contingent on your job
satisfaction and your financial reward. That isn't an
ethics at all.

> Waiting until retirement
> to farm, is much more reasonable,

No, it's just much more satisfying to you in terms of
your utility.
Dutch

"Scented Nectar" > wrote
> "Dutch" > wrote
>> "Scented Nectar" > wrote
>> > "Dutch" > wrote

>> > That's because I don't feel
>> > I'm to blame for them.

>> You are complicit. You can't escape it any more
>> than meat consumers can escape the fact that
>> animals are killed for them, and not always humanely.
>>
>> When you choose to be part of a process, you
>> assume responsibility for forseeable systemic outcomes
>> within it..

> But when there is no reasonable
> alternatives to buying/supporting
> such products, it diminishes,
> maybe eliminates responsibility.

I agree with that principle, but is it reasonable
for responsibility to hinge on perpetuation
of one's secure and comfortable lifestyle?
If we were talking about the actions of
our governments or police forces, then
we truly do not have any reasonable
alternatives but to support them.

> One has to consider the stage
> of the process at which the
> deaths are occurring, and take
> action there. If the farmers are
> being given no choice in their
> machinery, which I suspect is
> the case, then the equipment
> manufacturerers must be held
> accountable. If from all sides
> it's reasonably unavoidable,
> then maybe we just have to
> accept those until a better
> idea comes up.

Maybe it's unreasonable to believe that
one can farm without harming animals,
after all, farms produce food, and animals
will always gravitate towards food.

> Meat is in my
> opinion avoidable of course.

Of course it is, but why should anyone
who enjoys it greatly and finds it healthy
abstain from it when we have already
concluded above that it is probably
unreasonable to believe that one can
produce food without harming animals?

I find no significant moral difference in
killing animals while ploughing, spraying,
harvesting, or farming them for food.
That is why I do not believe the moral
presumptions of veganism.

Dutch

"Scented Nectar" > wrote
> "Dutch" > wrote

>> > Yes I am. And for some
>> > insects too.

>> Why not all the birds, mammals, and amphibians
>> that die to support your comfortable lifestyle?
>>
>> Are they not worthy?

> They're worthy. And probably the
> bugs I've killed too, but the rest
> don't happen on my watch or at my
> request.

They are done on your behalf. If you knew
that Brand X coffee involved exploitation of
workers, you would be morally bound to
boycott that brand, if you believed that to
be immoral, even though you were not
present at or involved in the exploitation.
If ALL coffee were involved then you would
be bound to boycott ALL coffee. Your own
interests do not come into it. You cannot just
wave your hand and dissolve complicity.

Scented Nectar

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> Scented Nectar wrote:

> .. .

and

> > note

> > vegans.

> > Utopian

> > based

the

of

> > just

> >>Not after your chickenshit attempt to get *others* to accuse me of
> >>usenet abuse to my ISP just because you happen to disagree with me.

> > Considering what you were
> > calling me, you can't really
> > complain, can you?

> My complaint is about your passivity in *everything*. You think killing
> animals is wrong, but wait for others like farmers and warehousemen to
> change things they routinely do (without any feeling of guilt) to
> minimize *your* culpability. You object to valid names (see below)
> others call you and then you post abuse complaint addresses and hope
> others will do what you won't.
>
> You have a *very deep* character flaw. The irony is you'd probably send
> in a complaint about the use of the word "****" long before you'd ever
> attempt to meaningfully address the moral crisis you have with respect
> to your consumption in light of your stated principles. Note your
> refusal to address the evidence provided to you about consumption of
> organic foods as well as your refusal to engage in a discussion about
> how wasteful foods like tofu, seitan, and products made from the two
> (Yves!) really are compared to grazed ruminants (do you eat grass? no,
> you smoke it), wild game, poultry, and various other livestock.
>
> For the record, the word you're whining about has been used
> *legitimately*. Among its definitions is, "Used as a disparaging term
> for a person one dislikes or finds extremely disagreeable." I've already
> explained what I find extremely disagreeable about you: your persistent
> refusal to admit the scope of your errors and your propensity to make
> things up (e.g., that 'veganic' foods will be on supermarket shelves,
> that farmers will adopt 'veganic' methods as the norm, that vegetarians
> buy most of the organic food, and that ANY meat requires more input per
> pound than either tofu or seitan). You deserve to be disparaged
> similarly for your advocacy of marijuana, which is probably where your
> complete disconnect from reality lies.
>
> Finally, the word "****" has a rich history and has been embraced by
> feminists in the same manner which homosexuals have embraced the word
> "queer." I refuse to eliminate it from my vocabulary.
> http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/enc.../C/Cu/****.htm

It is a valid word, but of all the
so-called 4 letter words, it usually
is considered to be the worst one.
As for posting the abuse contact,
you were using the word in an
abusive manner, and getting
worse. The manner in which
feminists have embraced the
word is never as a put down,
but rather as a reference to
genitals. Also, I posted the
abuse contact to remind
people that abusive people
can at least be kept busy by
having to keep getting new
internet accounts. I'm way
more accepting of its
occasional use than most
people are, but I think we
could have much better debates
by lowering the insults and just
sticking to the points one is
trying to make. Is that too
much to ask? What's the
point of severe insults? I can
accept a small amount of
insulting or sarcasm, but
going overboard on it just
makes your points look as
bad as your attiitude. That's
my take on it, and others feel
even much more strongly about
the use of that word, even when
they accept other 4 letter words.
Consider my post a be-careful
thing, since most people will
probably not go to the extreme
of actually complaining. If they
do though, then that's just
further proof that it really gets
on people's bad side.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Scented Nectar

> >>*I* didn't use that term, idiot.

> > My bad. It was Dutch.

> No apology?

No, just an acknowledgement
of my mistake. What's to
apologize for? No harm came
of it.

> > plate

so

> >>I thought I recalled a post in which you called your memory "shit."

> > I suppose it's possible. The
> > correct usage

> I put it in quotation marks for a reason: because I recalled you saying
> that. FWIW, I don't need grammatical lessons from someone who
> incessantly misuses "less" for "fewer" and vice versa and whose posts
> read like they were written by a mediocre fourth-grader.

I don't hold myself to perfect
grammar in conversational
writing and talking.

just

> > meat.

> >>It's the total for all organic products, dumb ass.

> > That's where there's a problem.

> That's NOT a problem. Your claim has been that most organics are
> purchased by vegetarians. If you'd read the links I offered, you'd find
> that meat is a small but very fast growing segment of organic food
> production: "Only 0.2% of American pastureland and rangeland is
> certified organic, however a large rise in organic farmland is predicted
> as more meat producers take the organic route." Etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to find
that the same is true for plant
based organic foods. Both
vegetarians and the meat
eaters use plant based foods.

> >>The data show that <2% of the population aren't buying >50% of the $15.4
> >>billion of organic products in the US.

> > Of course not, if your data
> > includes meat in it.. Who's
> > buying all that?

> More than one-half of Americans (54 percent) have tried organic
> foods, with nearly one-third (29 percent) claiming to consume
> more organic foods and beverages than one year ago, according to
> the 2003 Whole Foods Market Organic Foods Trend Tracker....The
> overwhelming majority (69 percent) of "frequent organic eaters"
> (eat organic several times a week) claim they are eating more
> organic foods than one year ago; meanwhile, 43 percent of
> "occasional organic eaters" (eat organic several times a month)
> and 16 percent of "infrequent organic eaters" (have tried, but
> do not consume regularly) report eating more organic foods than
> one year ago. Overall, 14 percent of the U.S. population is
> eating more organic foods than they were one year ago.
> http://www.wholefoods.com/company/pr_10-14-03.html
>
> What percentage of the population is vegetarian? *Less than two-percent*.

Organic has become popular
with everyone is all you're
saying.

> Additionally, WFM's survey showed that 19% of purchases were meat. That
> leaves over four-fifths of all food purchases. Vegetarians are not
> making the bulk of those purchases.
>
> You don't have to admit you're wrong. I've already proven it.

All you've proven is organics
have become popular among
meat eaters. They have
become aware of the health
aspects of the antibiotics,
hormones, etc. Hopefully, next
they will become aware of the
plight of factory farmed meat
since organic does not
necessarily mean a happy
life, just no chemicals.

meat

past

> >>Yes. I've given them to you before.
> >>
> >>GLUTEN
> >>Average wheat flour contains about 13% protein, and gluten
> >> accounts for 80% of that. A pound of vital gluten, then, would
> >> require over 9.5 pounds of flour. It would then have to be
> >> hydrated if it were purchased already processed. Much of the
> >> weight of seitan is going to be water, but one uses a

tremendous
> >> amount of water when washing out the starch to make seitan on
> >> one's own. No matter how you cut it, it's wasteful of grain and
> >> water resources and requires more water and grain per pound

than
> >> a turkey would.
> >>
> >>See also:
> >>http://tinyurl.com/crax7
> >>http://www.smallgrains.org/springwh/mar99/import.htm
> >>http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...7736.Bc.r.html
> >>
> >>TOFU
> >>Tofu is mostly water. According to the following article, one pound of
> >>soybeans should yield 3.5-4 pounds of tofu. The recipe itself yields
> >>22-26 ounces depending how much water is pressed out (soft vs firm). The
> >>weight of the water input is >13x the weight of the soybeans -- 11 cups
> >>of water is just over 2.6 liters, or 5.72 pounds of water by weight. A
> >>cup of soybeans weighs seven ounces -- less than 1/2 pound.
> >>
> >>Recipe:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/libra...e_Book_of_Tofu

> >>soybean volume:weight conversion:
> >>http://www.fareshare.net/conversions...to-weight.html

> >>I don't make wild guesses, bitch -- YOU do.

> > Back in the 80s

> Stop changing the subject. You questioned my figures, which I'd already
> supported. I supported them for you again. Don't tell me about the
> 1980s. Stick to the issue.
>
> You don't have to admit you're wrong. I've already proven it.
>
> > Now it's tofu and gluten. Those
> > don't play a very big role in
> > my diet, although I eat them
> > sometimes. What fodder
> > to food ratio are you using
> > for the grain fed beef?

> You mean grain-*finished* beef.

How about pork? That's a
huge industry world wide.
Many people eat some on
a daily basis in North America
with their breakfast plus other
meals.

> The length of time that cattle spend in feedlots on high grain
> diets is variable. A calf typically starts life in March to May
> and remains with the cow on pasture or range until October or
> November. The calf may then be moved to a feedlot or may be
> maintained on a forage feeding program until a year later when

A forage feeding program?
Are they having to forage in
the winter? Or are they
being given hay?

> it is moved to a feedlot as a yearling. Thus, beef cattle
> generally enter feedlots at weights of 450 to 650 pounds
> (calves), or 650 to 900 pounds (yearlings). For example, calves
> may enter the feedlot at 500 pounds and be marketed at about
> 1,100 pounds. Yearlings may enter the feedlot at 750 pounds and
> be marketed at about 1,200 pounds, while heavy yearlings enter
> at about 900 pounds and are marketed at about 1,200 pounds.

Veal though is another story.
Although I'm surprised at how
young the beef cattle are when
they are killed.

> How much grain and protein supplement are required to produce a
> pound of retail beef?
>
> * 1,200-pound beef cows marketed at 7 years of age have
> consumed a total of 840 pounds of protein supplement (120 pounds
> per year).
> * 500-pound feedlot calves fed to 1,100 pounds consume 6.5
> pounds of total feed (80 percent grain and protein supplement)
> per pound of gain.
> * 750-pound feedlot yearlings fed to 1,200 pounds consume
> 7.2 pounds of total feed (90 percent grain and protein
> supplement) per pound of gain.
> * Yield of retail beef per pound of live weight is .45 pound
> (.35 pound for cows).
>
> Thus, it takes 2 pounds of grain and protein supplement to
> produce a pound of retail beef from beef cows and 3.6 pounds for
> heavy yearlings. For lighter weight yearlings and calves, the
> figures are 5.4 pounds and 6.3 pounds. These calculations do not
> consider the fertilizer value of the manure and urine provided
> by cattle during grazing and finishing.
>
> Contrary to some published claims, it does not take 16 pounds of
> grain to produce a pound of beef (Robbins 1987). Since beef cows
> are a major source of ground beef, a value between 3 and 4
> pounds of grain and protein supplement to produce a pound of
> ground beef would be appropriate. Only by assuming that beef
> animals are fed diets composed largely of grains from birth to
> market weight could a value as great as 16 pounds be obtained.
> Those familiar with the beef industry know that this does not
> occur. In fact, cattle do not require any grain for the
> production of meat; the microbes in the rumen manufacture
> high-quality protein from nonprotein nitrogen.
> http://tinyurl.com/93mwm
>
> You don't have to admit you're wrong. I've already proven it.

The 16 to 1 ratio is probably
including the pastureland and
hay fields. I am curious about
something. Why pasture the
cows at all if the massive
weight gain comes from the
factory feeding side of things?
I assume that farmers must
have tried it and it didn't
work for some reason. They
wouldn't pass up a chance
to make more money in
less time.

your

pollution

> > trains).

> >>I'm not violating your principles. You are.

> > I'm not violating my principles.

> Yes, you are. You say it's wrong to kill animals yet you object to
> changing your ways to meet your rhetoric.

I say it's mostly wrong. As
for my objection to the only
possible mostly veganic
option, I answered that in
a post to Rudy (?) late, late
last night (this morning).

successful

> > eat

> >>You're quite a weirdo.

> >>You've clearly nothing to add to your one-item list.

> > Nothing to share with you.

> Nothing period.

Nothing to share with you.

self-praise

At

> >>The fact that you would remember such a date is pathetic.

> > No.

> Yes.
>
> > I think it's neat.

> Another indication of your arrested development.

May of 1981 was very
memorable for me. I quit
smoking tobacco cold
turkey after a 2 pack a day
4 year habit, and I became
vegetarian.

> >>Don't act so defensive, Skanky.

> > I'm not.

> You are.

Must be in response to an
offensive.

> > Just wondering why
> > you are so disdainful about
> > my vegiversary.

> I wouldn't say I'm acting with disdain. It's amusement.

Whatever turns your crank.

> >>Yes. You're a rank hypocrite.

nor

> > do

myself

> >>Not in the context of identitying with others.

> >>Only as a valid description of what most vegetarians actually eat.

> > A flexitarian, being a meat eater
> > is never vegetarian.

> Since you want to give me grammar lessons, allow me to help you. Two
> commas are used when setting off a participle phrase in middle of a
> sentence:
> A flexitarian, being a meat eater, is never a vegetarian.

Don't worry, sometimes I more
than make up for it by using
too many commas.

> As to the substance of your comment, it's funny that you see absolutes
> here but not when it comes to your silliness that "killing animals is
> wrong." A flexitarian's diet is predominantly vegetarian, but not
> rigidly so. I recall discussions at afv in which "vegans" fell off the
> bandwagon temporarily, confessed their sins, and other "vegans" were
> quick to forgive them and let them be "vegans" again -- even though they
> had dairy, honey, meat, or bought new leather. Were they really still
> "vegans"?

I would say that they were,
then they weren't, then they
were again. Flexitarians
don't have any no-meat rule
so there's no bandwagon to
fall off of. I have a number
of friends who qualify as
flexitarians. None call
themselves vegetarians,
although a couple have said
that they, most of the time,
eat vegetarian foods.

> Back to this issue, that raises a question. What's the *qualitative*
> difference between a flexitarian and a vegetarian? I think at the heart
> of the matter is the reason(s) for one being vegetarian in the first
> place. Flexitarians are entirely health-oriented. If the reason for
> being vegetarian is health, one can't object to the consumption of meat
> on occasion (flexitarianism) or even frequent consumption of lean,
> healthful meats. I've already detailed for you numerous times that
> various meats can be part of a healthful diet.

I still don't believe that it's healthy
to eat any amount of meat. It's
something that I believe deeply.
IF I believed that it was healthy, I
would do it, despite the animal
death, because it would be the
best diet. I would of course be
a marginal in that I would buy
not only organic, but free range
as well, and no MBM in their
feed since that is organic but
I wouldn't be wanting it no
matter what species is eating
it.

> That gets us to the objection about "dead animals," which immediately
> betrays the objector's *real* sentiments about vegetarianism: that it
> has more to do with animal rights than other issues (i.e., health). One
> doesn't rationally object to "dead animals" in a healthful diet. One
> emotes by calling them dead in the first place and demonstrates
> irrational thought by willfully refusing to accept that meat can be part
> of a healthful diet.

Despite the emotive tone,
I object on mainly health
grounds, and secondly on
animal rights grounds.
Some people say that one's
blood type indicates what
is the best diet. I keep an
open mind on that one, and
I would like to see more
studies done. I am blood
type A and from what I
remember, that's the best
on a vegan diet. Maybe
that's why I feel healthiest
on one (not that I'm fully
vegan these days, just
almost).

> You keep coming back to dead animals despite the evidence. You're
> irrational, emotive, and your reasons for being vegetarian have
> absolutely NOTHING to do with health and EVERYTHING to do with your
> now-proven-to-be-sham principle that killing animals is wrong. You
> object to animals only when they appear on plates, not when they're

killed.

> >>No.

> > Yep.

> No.
>
> > You fought over politics

> Correct.
>
> > and now all vegans are in the
> > doghouse.

> Non sequitur. My objection has been to veganISM. I still get along great
> with certain vegans. You seem to believe this is all personal. It isn't.
> It's about unfounded claims people like you make.
>
> > I think I'm seeing it
> > correctly.

> I disagree:
> Effects of smoking are generally felt within a few minutes and
> peak in 10 to 30 minutes. They include dry mouth and throat,
> increased heart rate, *impaired coordination and balance*,
> *delayed reaction time*, and *diminished short-term memory*.
> Moderate doses tend to induce a sense of well-being and a dreamy
> state of relaxation that *encourages fantasies*, *renders some
> users highly suggestible*, and *distorts perception* (making it
> dangerous to operate machinery, drive a car or boat, or ride a
> bicycle). *Stronger doses prompt more intense and often
> disturbing reactions including paranoia and hallucinations*....
>
> *Marijuana use reduces learning ability*. Research has been
> piling up of late demonstrating clearly that *marijuana limits
> the capacity to absorb and retain information*. A 1995 study of
> college students discovered that the inability of heavy
> marijuana users to focus, sustain attention, and organize data
> persists for as long as 24 hours after their last use of the
> drug. Earlier research, comparing cognitive abilities of adult
> marijuana users with non-using adults, found that users fall
> short on memory as well as math and verbal skills. Although it
> has yet to be proven conclusively that heavy marijuana use can
> cause irreversible loss of intellectual capacity, animal studies
> have shown *marijuana-induced structural damage to portions of
> the brain essential to memory and learning*.
> http://www.acde.org/common/Marijana.htm

Sounds like a case of Reefer
Madness to me. The same
plant that makes my mild
recreational drug, does a
whole lot more. Check out
http://www.jackherer.com/
They will give you $100,000
if you can prove them wrong.

> You and Derek both admit to using drugs. Note that use of marijuana is
> associated with encouragement of fantasies and distortion of perception.
> You're *not* seeing anything clearly.

I see quite clearly.

> > and

> > legumes,

you

one

differently

> > is

current

change

> >>You're the one who doesn't comprehend. It doesn't matter that you're
> >>arguing one is even worse, you're still using it to justify your
> >>actions/inactions.

> > We are really talking about cds
> > here. What is better? More or
> > less? I say less.

> So says the weirdo who wrote, "Killing animals is wrong." It's either
> acceptable or not. Period. Not "acceptable to kill fewer" or
> "unacceptable to kill more."

MOSTLY wrong. Of course
it is better to kill fewer
animals than more animals
if you have to choose.

> >>Booted out from what? I haven't violated their AUP. My posts to both
> >>these groups have been on topic. The problem you have is that you
> >>disagree with me. Tough shit, Skanky.

> > You should think it through

> YOU should think a lot of things through before you go off telling me
> what not to write. You've repeatedly been given evidence showing that
> your stated beliefs, your ASSumptions, and everything else you espouse
> is 180-degrees from reality. You *don't* think. You probably never have.
>
> That word fits you like a T.

Others take much more offence
at the word than I do. Just want
to remind you of that. Anything