Rudy Canoza

Default The Logic of the Talking Pig

wrote:
> [...]

best-known

Killing

but

existence

every

into

its

The animal's existence for ANY length of time is of zero value compared
to never having existed.

right to

justification for

> >> No justification is needed.

You CLEARLY seem to feel one is needed.

> >> Regardless of that, billions of animals are
> >> not simply killed as you would like people to "think", but those

same
> >> billions of them only experience life because humans raise them to

eat.

> >That *IS* an attempt at justification, there is NO OTHER REASON to

point it
> >out.

> It is consideration for animals which

It is a foolish consideration of some mythical, imaginary "benefit"
they get from living. They do not derive any benefit from living,
compared with never living at all.

humans) are

> >> All will die. "This idea" simply considers livestock like it

does ANY
> >> other set of circumstances...

> >There is NO other circumstance, no other class animal or human where

we
> >factor that they "only experience life because humans raise them.."

> That fact applies to all situations where it is true, including

humans, pets,
> etc...

Gobbledygook.

> >when assessing the morality of killing them.

> That's because food animals are in a unique situation, but you

still
> want everyone to "think" of them as YOU think of everything else.

Food animals are not in a "unique" situation when considering the
morality of whether or not they are born to begin with. Life is not a
benefit to them.

> >NONE, ZERO.

for food

> >> It considers more very real aspects of the situation than you

"ARAs"
> >> want
> >> people to consider.

> >It considers them to be a rationalization, an unecessary one.

> >> That's a lie, since "AR" would prevent livestock from having

any life
> >> at all.

> >So that means that your position is even MORE of an "Animal Rights"

position
> >that that of ARAs. They don't want them to ever live, you think

their
> >getting to live is a good thing, which is more of an Animal Rights

position?

> I don't believe any animals have rights.

You very clearly and undeniably believe that intended farm animals have
a right to be born, and you feel animal rights activists, because they
want to eliminate farm animals, are "denying" them that right. It is
absurd for you to claim you don't believe this.

It is not a benefit to pigs to cause them to live, and people who want
to eat pork cannot claim as justification for killing pigs that they
have in any way "benefitted" the pigs by causing them to live.

> >Your position is founded on one thing, to use the lives of livestock

for
> >some justification for raising them. It's a nasty bit of sophistry,

and you
> >don't even know what sophistry means, which makes things worse.

Exactly right. It IS sophistry, and he obviously isn't intelligent
enough to appreciate it.

Causing pigs to be born is not conferring any benefit upon them. If
one wants to eat pork, and if one feels a need to justify killing pigs
to obtain pork - and you CLEARLY feel the need for such justification -
it is absurd to think causing the pigs to "benefit" from having lived
is a suitable justification.

> >> Not even one of them.

> >I thought you knew pigs. They are very aware of filth,

> I don't believe that.

It doesn't matter what you believe. Your beliefs are based in
ignorance. Not just ignorance, but DELIBERATE stupidity.

> >by nature they are
> >very clean animals.

> I don't believe that either.

It doesn't matter what you believe. You believe life itself is some
kind of benefit, but the fact is it is NOT any kind of benefit at all.
You believe LOTS of unreal things.

> >> It's extremely relevant. But since you prefer

What he prefers is to see that causing pigs to live is not any kind of
moral justification for killing them.

> >No fantasy.

human/animal

> >> No, it's much more than that.

> >Nope, it's a rhetorical device.
> >
> >> The author is very obviously trying to
> >> persuade people to feel that

that causing pigs to live is not a moral justification for killing
them. That is what the author is trying to show people. He does a
good job of it, too. In fact, he does such a good job of it that you
can't even begin to address it, preferring instead to mischaracterize
it.

> >> which apparently it is to you and you
> >> want it to be for other people. The influence it could have on

other
> >> people is what you like about it, and what I don't like about it.

It is
> >> an impressively large number of fantasys which do not apply to

reality
> >> in the case of pigs, but for whatever reason(s) you want people to
> >> side with the fantasys. Why Dutch?

> >Your level of comprehension is lower than your morals.

> Then explain extra clearly why you want people to side with the

fantasies.

He wants people to side with logic, and logic dictates that causing
pigs and other animals to live is not any kind of valid moral
justification for killing them.

Rudy Canoza

On 13 Jan 2005 10:54:20 -0800, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:

wrote:

>best-known

>Killing

>but

>existence

>every

>into

>its

>The animal's existence for ANY length of time is of zero value compared
>to never having existed.

· When "ARAs" like the Gonad say things like: No animals
benefit from farming, what they *mean* is that they believe
the animals gain nothing from the arrangement, they consider
it to be absolute exploitation, and they want all people to
become veg*ns without considering *any!* type of alternative.

> [...]

· When "ARAs" like the Gonad say things like: No animals
benefit from farming, what they *mean* is that they believe
the animals gain nothing from the arrangement, they consider
it to be absolute exploitation, and they want all people to
become veg*ns without considering *any!* type of alternative.

>You believe LOTS of unreal things.

>What he prefers is to see that causing pigs to live is not any kind of
>moral justification for killing them.
>

>> >No fantasy.

>human/animal

>> >Nope, it's a rhetorical device.

>that causing pigs to live is not a moral justification for killing
>them. That is what the author is trying to show people. He does a
>good job of it, too. In fact, he does such a good job of it that you
>can't even begin to address it,

Real pigs are not capable of any of the things required to make
The Logic of the Talking Pig anything other than a fantasy about
a talking pig. The Talking Pig is really a collection of at least
34 fantasies presented to give the false impression that pigs are
capable of things which they are not. In order for the fantasies
to be any more than childish fantasies, it would be required that:

1. pigs are capable of replying to humans
2. pigs are aware of revered moralists
3. pigs understand the concept of pleading
4. pigs contemplate time
5. pigs contemplate their own existence
6. pigs contemplate the future
7. pigs understand their bodies will be butchered
and prepared in specific ways
8. pigs understand and are capable of disputing
verbally with humans
9. pigs consider that they may be unworthy to dispute
with "a master of ethics"
10. pigs consider themselves to have an inferior intellect
11. pigs know humans deliberately raise them
12. pigs are aware of death
13. pigs know they can be killed
14. pigs know humans deliberately kill them
15. pigs know humans eat their dead bodies
16. pigs consider what motivates human thinking
17. pigs are aware of moral reasoning
18. pigs believe recognition of the fact that they only exist because
humans raise them, can only be done in an attempt "to find a
moral reason" for devouring them
19. pigs consider how they come into existence
20. pigs accurately understand what humans do and do not consider
21. pigs contemplate their own fate
22. pigs would rather they had never been born
23. pigs know humans eat meat
24. pigs know they are "pork"
25. pigs have a "so be it" attitude about humans killing them for food
26. pigs are able to understand human speach
27. pigs believe recognition of the fact that they only exist because
humans raise them, is in some way "sophistry"
28. pigs understand the situation they are in
29. pigs understand how the situation they are in relates to humans
30. pigs are aware of filth
31. pigs feel they are forced to live in filth
32. pigs contemplate the fact that humans feed them
33. pigs feel that what and or how they are fed is filthy
34. pigs contemplate what will happen to their bodies after their death

wrote:

> [...]

20. pigs accurately understand what humans do and do not consider
21. pigs contemplate their own fate
22. pigs would rather they had never been born
23. pigs know humans eat meat
24. pigs know they are "pork"
25. pigs have a "so be it" attitude about humans killing them for food
26. pigs are able to understand human speach
27. pigs believe recognition of the fact that they only exist because
humans raise them, is in some way "sophistry"
28. pigs understand the situation they are in
29. pigs understand how the situation they are in relates to humans
30. pigs are aware of filth
31. pigs feel they are forced to live in filth
32. pigs contemplate the fact that humans feed them
33. pigs feel that what and or how they are fed is filthy
34. pigs contemplate what will happen to their bodies after their death
Rudy Canoza

wrote:

>>best-known

>>Killing

>>but

>>existence

>>every

>>into

>>its

>>The animal's existence for ANY length of time is of zero value compared
>>to never having existed.

> · When "ARAs" Gonad say things like: No animals
> benefit from farming

No animals "benefit" from farming. What you mean when
you say they do is that coming into existence is
"better" than not coming into existence. You are wrong.

>>> It is consideration for animals which

>>It is a foolish consideration of some mythical, imaginary "benefit"
>>they get from living. They do not derive any benefit from living,
>>compared with never living at all.

> · When "ARAs" say things like: No animals
> benefit from farming, what they *mean* is that they believe
> the animals gain nothing from the arrangement

They don't. They are not better off for having
existed, versus never having existed.

>>> I don't believe any animals have rights.

>>You very clearly and undeniably believe that intended farm animals have
>>a right to be born, and you feel animal rights activists, because they
>>want to eliminate farm animals, are "denying" them that right. It is
>>absurd for you to claim you don't believe this.

>>It is not a benefit to pigs to cause them to live, and people who want
>>to eat pork cannot claim as justification for killing pigs that they
>>have in any way "benefitted" the pigs by causing them to live.

>>> I don't believe that.

>>It doesn't matter what you believe. Your beliefs are based in
>>ignorance. Not just ignorance, but DELIBERATE stupidity.

>>> I don't believe that either.

>>It doesn't matter what you believe. You believe life itself is some
>>kind of benefit, but the fact is it is NOT any kind of benefit at all.
>>
>>You believe LOTS of unreal things.

>>What he prefers is to see that causing pigs to live is not any kind of
>>moral justification for killing them.

>>that causing pigs to live is not a moral justification for killing
>>them. That is what the author is trying to show people. He does a
>>good job of it, too. In fact, he does such a good job of it that you
>>can't even begin to address it,

> Real pigs are not capable of any of

The author is saying that causing pigs to live is not a
moral justification for killing them.

Rudy Canoza

wrote:

>>>best-known

>>>Killing

>>>but

>>>existence

>>>every

>>>into

>>>its

>>>The animal's existence for ANY length of time is of zero value compared
>>>to never having existed.

>> · When "ARAs" Gonad say things like: No animals
>> benefit from farming

>No animals "benefit" from farming. What you mean when
>you say they do is that coming into existence is
>"better" than not coming into existence. You are wrong.

>>>It is a foolish consideration of some mythical, imaginary "benefit"
>>>they get from living. They do not derive any benefit from living,
>>>compared with never living at all.

>> · When "ARAs" say things like: No animals
>> benefit from farming, what they *mean* is that they believe
>> the animals gain nothing from the arrangement

>They don't. They are not better off for having
>existed, versus never having existed.

Explain how you know that Gonad.

>>>You very clearly and undeniably believe that intended farm animals have
>>>a right to be born, and you feel animal rights activists, because they
>>>want to eliminate farm animals, are "denying" them that right. It is
>>>absurd for you to claim you don't believe this.

>>>It is not a benefit to pigs to cause them to live, and people who want
>>>to eat pork cannot claim as justification for killing pigs that they
>>>have in any way "benefitted" the pigs by causing them to live.

>>>It doesn't matter what you believe. Your beliefs are based in
>>>ignorance. Not just ignorance, but DELIBERATE stupidity.

>>>It doesn't matter what you believe. You believe life itself is some
>>>kind of benefit, but the fact is it is NOT any kind of benefit at all.
>>>
>>>You believe LOTS of unreal things.

>>>What he prefers is to see that causing pigs to live is not any kind of
>>>moral justification for killing them.

>>>that causing pigs to live is not a moral justification for killing
>>>them. That is what the author is trying to show people. He does a
>>>good job of it, too. In fact, he does such a good job of it that you
>>>can't even begin to address it,

>> Real pigs are not capable of any of

>The author is saying that causing pigs to live is not a
>moral justification for killing them.

The author created a fantasy about a talking pig who knows
many things that no pig could ever know, to encourage people
to have the false impression that pigs suffer from the knowledge
that they will be killed.
Meanwhile here in reality billions of animals continue to
experience life only because humans raise them to eat, and many
of them have decent lives. Too bad for those of you who hate it.
Rudy Canoza

compared

> >> =B7 When "ARAs" say things like: No animals
> >> benefit from farming

> >No animals "benefit" from farming. What you mean when
> >you say they do is that coming into existence is
> >"better" than not coming into existence. You are wrong.

"benefit"

> >> When "ARAs" say things like: No animals
> >> benefit from farming, what they *mean* is that they believe
> >> the animals gain nothing from the arrangement

> >They don't. They are not better off for having
> >existed, versus never having existed.

> Explain how you know that

No. You have read the explanation dozens of times. You know that it
is compelling, and right.

you

> >> Real pigs are not capable of any of

> >The author is saying that causing pigs to live is not a
> >moral justification for killing them.

> The author created a

The author explained, lucidly and compellingly, that causing pigs to
live is not doing any favor to the pigs.

Jonathan Ball/Citizen/Benfez/Wilson Woods/Radical Moderate/
Bingo/Edward/George/Bill/Fred/Mystery Poster/Merlin the dog/
Bob the /elvira/Dieter/Abner Hale/
Roger Whitaker/****tard/Apoo/Ted /
Jay /Rudy Canoza...
aka the Gonad wrote:

wrote:

>compared

>> >No animals "benefit" from farming. What you mean when
>> >you say they do is that coming into existence is
>> >"better" than not coming into existence. You are wrong.

>"benefit"

>> >They don't. They are not better off for having
>> >existed, versus never having existed.

>> Explain how you know that

>No. You have read the explanation dozens of times. You know that it
>is compelling, and right.

LOL!!! I mean: no as a matter of fact I've never seen it Gonad. Please
present it so I can learn from your great wisdom, or at least consider that
you may not be lying about this as you lie about everything else. Please.
Gonad. Present it now.

>you

>> >The author is saying that causing pigs to live is not a
>> >moral justification for killing them.

>> The author created a

>The author explained, lucidly and compellingly, that causing pigs to
>live is not doing any favor to the pigs.

Oh? I missed that part Gonad, unless you're referring to that thing
about filth. Show me:

" This, then, is the benign attitude of the Philosopher towards the Pig;
and what shall be the reply of the Pig to the Philosopher? "Revered
moralist," he might plead, "it were unseemly for me, who am to-day a
pig, and to-morrow but ham and sausages, to dispute with a master of
ethics, yet to my porcine intellect it appeareth that having first determined
to kill and devour me, thou hast afterwards bestirred thee to find a moral
reason. For mark, I pray thee, that in my entry into the world my own
predilection was in no wise considered, nor did I purchase life on condition
of my own butchery. If, then, thou art firm set on pork, so be it, for pork
I am: but though thou hast not spared my life, at least spare me thy
sophistry. It is not for his sake, but for thine, that in his life the Pig is filthily
housed and fed, and at the end barbarously butchered.""

exactly where does the author explain that causing pigs to live is not
doing any favor to the pigs?
Dutch

> wrote

> " This, then, is the benign attitude of the Philosopher towards the Pig;
> and what shall be the reply of the Pig to the Philosopher? "Revered
> moralist," he might plead, "it were unseemly for me, who am to-day a
> pig, and to-morrow but ham and sausages, to dispute with a master of
> ethics, yet to my porcine intellect it appeareth that having first

determined
> to kill and devour me, thou hast afterwards bestirred thee to find a moral
> reason. For mark, I pray thee, that in my entry into the world my own
> predilection was in no wise considered, nor did I purchase life on

condition
> of my own butchery. If, then, thou art firm set on pork, so be it, for

pork
> I am: but though thou hast not spared my life, at least spare me thy
> sophistry. It is not for his sake, but for thine, that in his life the Pig

is filthily
> housed and fed, and at the end barbarously butchered.""

Well done! Thanks for posting that again, it does such a beautiful job of
illustrating the sophistry of "The Logic of the Larder".

Dutch

> wrote

> " This, then, is the benign attitude of the Philosopher towards the Pig;
> and what shall be the reply of the Pig to the Philosopher? "Revered
> moralist," he might plead, "it were unseemly for me, who am to-day a
> pig, and to-morrow but ham and sausages, to dispute with a master of
> ethics, yet to my porcine intellect it appeareth that having first

determined
> to kill and devour me, thou hast afterwards bestirred thee to find a moral
> reason. For mark, I pray thee, that in my entry into the world my own
> predilection was in no wise considered, nor did I purchase life on

condition
> of my own butchery. If, then, thou art firm set on pork, so be it, for

pork
> I am: but though thou hast not spared my life, at least spare me thy
> sophistry. It is not for his sake, but for thine, that in his life the Pig

is filthily
> housed and fed, and at the end barbarously butchered.""

Well done! Thanks for posting that again, it does such a beautiful job of
illustrating the sophistry of "The Logic of the Larder".

Rudy Canoza

> Rudy Canoza wrote:

"benefit"

living,

> >> Explain how you know that

> >No. You have read the explanation dozens of times. You know that

it
> >is compelling, and right.

> LOL!!!

Why do you find it funny that you pretend not to know what has been
written in response to your ravings?

It is a logical absurdity to believe that coming into existence is a
"benefit" compared to never existing.

killing

does

that
> >you

> >> The author created a

> >The author explained, lucidly and compellingly, that causing pigs to
> >live is not doing any favor to the pigs.

> Oh? I missed that part

You always miss the logic.

> " This, then, is the benign attitude of the Philosopher towards the

Pig

You didn't "miss" that part - that's what YOU believe. You believe
that you are being "benign" to animals, because you "provided them
life".

> exactly where does the author explain that causing pigs to live is

not
> doing any favor to the pigs?

When he says that it is not for the pig's sake, but for the sake of the
philosopher, that the pig was caused to be born. Right there. That's
where he explains it.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:35:52 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:

> wrote
>
>> " This, then, is the benign attitude of the Philosopher towards the Pig;
>> and what shall be the reply of the Pig to the Philosopher? "Revered
>> moralist," he might plead, "it were unseemly for me, who am to-day a
>> pig, and to-morrow but ham and sausages, to dispute with a master of
>> ethics, yet to my porcine intellect it appeareth that having first

>determined
>> to kill and devour me, thou hast afterwards bestirred thee to find a moral
>> reason. For mark, I pray thee, that in my entry into the world my own
>> predilection was in no wise considered, nor did I purchase life on

>condition
>> of my own butchery. If, then, thou art firm set on pork, so be it, for

>pork
>> I am: but though thou hast not spared my life, at least spare me thy
>> sophistry. It is not for his sake, but for thine, that in his life the Pig

>is filthily
>> housed and fed, and at the end barbarously butchered.""

>Well done! Thanks for posting that again, it does such a beautiful job of
>illustrating the sophistry of "The Logic of the Larder".

Later on the pig sings "Swing Low", is thankful that it got to live,
and hopes to have some life beyond this one.
Rudy Canoza

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:35:52 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>
> > wrote
> >
> >> [(il)logic of the larder]

> >Well done! Thanks for posting that again, it does such a beautiful

job of
> >illustrating the sophistry of "The Logic of the Larder".

> Later on

No, there is no "later on". Salt makes his excellent points

- that the pig was bred for the philsopher's benefit, not the pig's;
- that life per se is not a benefit to the pig
and then he moves on. There is no "later on" to Salt's essay.

Dutch

> wrote
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:35:52 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>
> wrote
>>
>>> " This, then, is the benign attitude of the Philosopher towards the Pig;
>>> and what shall be the reply of the Pig to the Philosopher? "Revered
>>> moralist," he might plead, "it were unseemly for me, who am to-day a
>>> pig, and to-morrow but ham and sausages, to dispute with a master of
>>> ethics, yet to my porcine intellect it appeareth that having first

>>determined
>>> to kill and devour me, thou hast afterwards bestirred thee to find a
>>> moral
>>> reason. For mark, I pray thee, that in my entry into the world my own
>>> predilection was in no wise considered, nor did I purchase life on

>>condition
>>> of my own butchery. If, then, thou art firm set on pork, so be it, for

>>pork
>>> I am: but though thou hast not spared my life, at least spare me thy
>>> sophistry. It is not for his sake, but for thine, that in his life the
>>> Pig

>>is filthily
>>> housed and fed, and at the end barbarously butchered.""

>>Well done! Thanks for posting that again, it does such a beautiful job of
>>illustrating the sophistry of "The Logic of the Larder".

> Later on the pig sings "Swing Low", is thankful that it got to live,
> and hopes to have some life beyond this one.

You just used the same literary device to express three ideas. That wasn't
so hard was it?

Rudy Canoza

> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:34:35 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>
> > wrote
> >> "Dutch" > wrote:

> >> Real pigs are not capable of any of the things required to

make
> >> The Logic of the Talking Pig anything other than a fantasy about
> >> a talking pig. [..]

> >Bullshit. The same first-person device could be used to express how

infant
> >children ought to be treated.
> >
> >"You should cuddle me why I cry. You should change my diapers when

they are
> >dirty. You should feed me when I'm hungry. You should love me
> >unconditionally."
> >
> >That doesn't mean babies can talk or form those thoughts, it's way

of
> >communicating moral attitudes, not a fantasy about a talking baby.

> If you're presenting a fantasy

He isn't.

> >You're too stupid for words.
> >
> >[..]

issue is to

> >> How do you do that without considering the animals' lives?

> >Just do it, the animals' lives per se are immaterial to the

evaluation.

> That's true for you because you are incredibly inconsiderate.

No. He is considerate where moral consideration is due.

> >> Your main objective is to maintain the false belief that no

farm
> >> animals benefit from farming,

That is not a false belief. It is a FACT. No farm animals benefit
from coming into existence.

> >If by that you mean "The Logic of the Larder" then yes.

> Each year billions of animals experience life only because humans
> raise them for food.

Their lives are not something for which you can claim any moral credit,
much as you'd like to.

argument,

> >> You are obsessively insisting that people do NOT consider the
> >> animals themselves.

> >If by that you mean "The Logic of the Larder" then yes.

> Real pigs

"Giving life" to real pigs may not validly be offered as moral
justification for subsequently killing the pigs.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:48:44 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:

> wrote
>> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:35:52 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>
> wrote

>>>determined
>>>condition
>>>pork
>>>is filthily
>>>
>>>Well done! Thanks for posting that again, it does such a beautiful job of
>>>illustrating the sophistry of "The Logic of the Larder".

>> Later on the pig sings "Swing Low", is thankful that it got to live,
>> and hopes to have some life beyond this one.

>You just used the same literary device to express three ideas. That wasn't
>so hard was it?

Nope. And now we know pigs are thankful that humans raise
them for food too. Well, I'm glad we got that straightened out.

On 14 Jan 2005 11:37:44 -0800, the Gonad wrote:

wrote:
>> the Gonad wrote:

>"benefit"

>living,

>> >No. You have read the explanation dozens of times. You know that

>it
>> >is compelling, and right.

>> LOL!!!

>Why do you find it funny that you pretend not to know what has been
>written in response to your ravings?
>
>It is a logical absurdity to believe that coming into existence is a
>"benefit" compared to never existing.

How do you know what never existing is like Mr Gonad?

>killing

>does

>that
>> >you

>> >The author explained, lucidly and compellingly, that causing pigs to
>> >live is not doing any favor to the pigs.

>> Oh? I missed that part

>You always miss the logic.
>

>> " This, then, is the benign attitude of the Philosopher towards the

>Pig
>
>You didn't "miss" that part - that's what YOU believe. You believe
>that you are being "benign" to animals, because you "provided them
>life".
>

>> exactly where does the author explain that causing pigs to live is

>not
>> doing any favor to the pigs?

>When he says that it is not for the pig's sake, but for the sake of the
>philosopher, that the pig was caused to be born. Right there. That's
>where he explains it.

It doesn't say the pigs don't benefit too, it just says the reason
they are born is to benefit humans. Some of them do benefit too,
and some of them don't. It's really hard to imagine anyone being
too ignorant to understand something that's so obviously true.
Even without ever being on a pig farm anyone should be able to
understand that some pigs have decent lives and that some don't,
the same as with everything else including humans.

wrote:
>> the Gonad wrote:

>"benefit"

>living,

>> >No. You have read the explanation dozens of times. You know that

>it
>> >is compelling, and right.

>> LOL!!!

>Why do you find it funny that you pretend not to know what has been
>written in response to your ravings?
>
>It is a logical absurdity to believe that coming into existence is a
>"benefit" compared to never existing.

How do you know what never existing is like Mr Gonad?

>killing

>does

>that
>> >you

>> >The author explained, lucidly and compellingly, that causing pigs to
>> >live is not doing any favor to the pigs.

>> Oh? I missed that part

>You always miss the logic.
>

>> " This, then, is the benign attitude of the Philosopher towards the

>Pig
>
>You didn't "miss" that part - that's what YOU believe. You believe
>that you are being "benign" to animals, because you "provided them
>life".
>

>> exactly where does the author explain that causing pigs to live is

>not
>> doing any favor to the pigs?

>When he says that it is not for the pig's sake, but for the sake of the
>philosopher, that the pig was caused to be born. Right there. That's
>where he explains it.

It doesn't say the pigs don't benefit too, it just says the reason
they are born is to benefit humans. Some of them do benefit too,
and some of them don't. It's really hard to imagine anyone being
too ignorant to understand something that's so obviously true.
Even without ever being on a pig farm anyone should be able to
understand that some pigs have decent lives and that some don't,
the same as with everything else including humans.
Dutch

> wrote

>>> Later on the pig sings "Swing Low", is thankful that it got to live,
>>> and hopes to have some life beyond this one.

>>You just used the same literary device to express three ideas. That wasn't
>>so hard was it?

> Nope. And now we know pigs are thankful that humans raise
> them for food too. Well, I'm glad we got that straightened out.

Your sentence, in extending the literary device used by Salt, got across
your ideas that pigs enjoy and "benefit from" life, and that they may even
go to piggy heaven. You're a poet and don't even know it!

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 20:00:01 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:

> wrote

>>>You just used the same literary device to express three ideas. That wasn't
>>>so hard was it?

>> Nope. And now we know pigs are thankful that humans raise
>> them for food too. Well, I'm glad we got that straightened out.

>Your sentence, in extending the literary device used by Salt, got across
>your ideas that pigs enjoy and "benefit from" life,

That one did. Some do and some don't.

>and that they may even
>go to piggy heaven.

Maybe:

Genesis 9:5 - "I will demand an accounting from every animal."

>You're a poet and don't even know it!

Actually Dutch, before I learned what a bunch of assholes I'm
dealing with here I did make use of the supposed literary device,
and posted my own fantasy about a typing cow as a sort of joke
but still to convey a message. If the talking pig had any influence
on you, then maybe the typing cow can help you out a bit too.
Here's a repost:

From: (David)
Subject: mmm.....mmmmmo........mmmmoooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Date: 1999/02/25
Newsgroups: alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

OK all you veggie heads, a good friend of mine would like to say a few
things to you folks, so here she is:

hi my names gladys an im a 6 years old holstein. the first thing i want to
say is my farmer is a nice man who feeds me good but he could do better
cause im 6 and still have never got to eat enough to get foundered..oh well.
he feeds me good though and only kicks me in the ass when its draggin so i
cant complain about that. an the way he cleans my nipples..oooh....it makes
me feel so.....never mind.

a other thing i want to tell you is ive had 3 children 2 sons and a daughter
and i loved the boys but they got took away too soon and i cried for a while
but i loved them while they were with me. i dont know where the boys went
but my little girl is workin with me an had a son of her own and we eat lunch
together and that is nice. i wouldnt trade the kids for anything ya know what
i mean.

so now i want say my job is cool an i don want no office job cause this typin
is gettin me wore out, so give us cows a break an let us keep workin. hav a
glassa milk or a icecream or somethin....eat some cottage cheese wouldya!!
an if no one eats dairy food we will all die an then there wont be no more milk
cows is that what you want?? and dont listen to then tv cows sayin eat more
chicken cause they sold out for the money! cows are loyal to their own an
its a low cow sure that tries to help chickens! besides chicken is wuss food
so eat a steak or burger instead. beef cows wanta live too so help em out..
their retirement plan sux but the job itsef is awesom! furget chicken!!

thats about it cept i eat plants too an theres nothin rong with it but dont
try to put us outa work or make cows extinct cause were nice people too an
aint done nothin to hurt non of yoy guys! jus you eat yor plants an let the
other peoples eat ther beef an ther dairy an then so we can get ta have our
lifes too...please!!!

Thank you Gladys--you did a great job (we'll discuss the carpet later).
Hopefully they'll listen to you; they sure don't listen to me... You are a
nice lady for doing this--and you've got a cute daughter too ;-)

So there you have it, straight from the cows mouth! You won't listen to
me, but we're hoping you'll listen to the cows. At least you could *think*
about what she said. Cows don't lie!
Of course some of you will want to bring in your own cows with an
opposing view point, but be warned that it isn't easy...the farmers don't
like it, cows have no respect for your living room, and they are murder on
the keyboard.

All the best to ALL of us (cows too :-)!!!

David

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 20:00:01 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:

> wrote

>>>You just used the same literary device to express three ideas. That wasn't
>>>so hard was it?

>> Nope. And now we know pigs are thankful that humans raise
>> them for food too. Well, I'm glad we got that straightened out.

>Your sentence, in extending the literary device used by Salt, got across
>your ideas that pigs enjoy and "benefit from" life,

That one did. Some do and some don't.

>and that they may even
>go to piggy heaven.

Maybe:

Genesis 9:5 - "I will demand an accounting from every animal."

>You're a poet and don't even know it!

Actually Dutch, before I learned what a bunch of assholes I'm
dealing with here I did make use of the supposed literary device,
and posted my own fantasy about a typing cow as a sort of joke
but still to convey a message. If the talking pig had any influence
on you, then maybe the typing cow can help you out a bit too.
Here's a repost:

Dutch

> [...]

> the
> other peoples eat ther beef an ther dairy an then so we can get ta have
> our
> lifes too...please!!!
>

> Thank you Gladys--you did a great job (we'll discuss the carpet later).
> Hopefully they'll listen to you; they sure don't listen to me... You are a
> nice lady for doing this--and you've got a cute daughter too ;-)
>
> So there you have it, straight from the cows mouth! You won't listen to
> me, but we're hoping you'll listen to the cows. At least you could *think*
> about what she said. Cows don't lie!
> Of course some of you will want to bring in your own cows with an
> opposing view point, but be warned that it isn't easy...the farmers don't
> like it, cows have no respect for your living room, and they are murder on
> the keyboard.
>
> All the best to ALL of us (cows too :-)!!!

Were you intending to convey that cows can actually talk and think those
things?

So what is all this crap about Salt's essay being a fantasy about a talking
pig? You knew all along that the voice of the pig was intended to echo the
conscience of the meat consumer, never the pig itself.

What a lying asshole.

Dutch

> [...]

> nice lady for doing this--and you've got a cute daughter too ;-)
>
> So there you have it, straight from the cows mouth! You won't listen to
> me, but we're hoping you'll listen to the cows. At least you could *think*
> about what she said. Cows don't lie!
> Of course some of you will want to bring in your own cows with an
> opposing view point, but be warned that it isn't easy...the farmers don't
> like it, cows have no respect for your living room, and they are murder on
> the keyboard.
>
> All the best to ALL of us (cows too :-)!!!

Were you intending to convey that cows can actually talk and think those
things?

So what is all this crap about Salt's essay being a fantasy about a talking
pig? You knew all along that the voice of the pig was intended to echo the
conscience of the meat consumer, never the pig itself.

None of your ranting, even if true, supports your idiotic claim that
life, in and of itself, is a benefit. There is a huge difference
between "some farm animals have decent lives" and "life is a benefit",
why don't you understand this?

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:00:05 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:

> [...]

>> Thank you Gladys--you did a great job (we'll discuss the carpet later).
>> Hopefully they'll listen to you; they sure don't listen to me... You are a
>> nice lady for doing this--and you've got a cute daughter too ;-)
>>
>> So there you have it, straight from the cows mouth! You won't listen to
>> me, but we're hoping you'll listen to the cows. At least you could *think*
>> about what she said. Cows don't lie!
>> Of course some of you will want to bring in your own cows with an
>> opposing view point, but be warned that it isn't easy...the farmers don't
>> like it, cows have no respect for your living room, and they are murder on
>> the keyboard.
>>
>> All the best to ALL of us (cows too :-)!!!

>Were you intending to convey that cows can actually talk and think those
>things?
>
>So what is all this crap about Salt's essay being a fantasy about a talking

That's what it is, like my fantasy about a typing cow.

>You knew all along that the voice of the pig was intended to echo the
>conscience of the meat consumer,

No. It was intended to create the impression that pigs know they will
be slaughtered, and suffer mentally from that knowledge.

>never the pig itself.
>
>What a lying asshole.

They are both fantasies. The difference between you and I is that
I know and admit it, but you either don't know it or won't admit it. If
there is any value in Salt's fantasy, then there is just as much value
in my fantasy. More in mine actually, since a greater percentage of
things in my fantasy are things that the animals are aware of. There
is practically nothing in Salt's fantasy that pigs could ever learn about.

> [...]

>pig?

That's what it is, like my fantasy about a typing cow.

>You knew all along that the voice of the pig was intended to echo the
>conscience of the meat consumer,

No. It was intended to create the impression that pigs know they will
be slaughtered, and suffer mentally from that knowledge.

>never the pig itself.
>
>What a lying asshole.

They are both fantasies. The difference between you and I is that
I know and admit it, but you either don't know it or won't admit it. If
there is any value in Salt's fantasy, then there is just as much value
in my fantasy. More in mine actually, since a greater percentage of
things in my fantasy are things that the animals are aware of. There
is practically nothing in Salt's fantasy that pigs could ever learn about.
Dutch

> wrote

>>> All the best to ALL of us (cows too :-)!!!

>>Were you intending to convey that cows can actually talk and think those
>>things?
>>
>>So what is all this crap about Salt's essay being a fantasy about a
>>talking
>>pig?

> That's what it is, like my fantasy about a typing cow.

Exactly, so your objections have been bullshit, which says you have no REAL
objections.

>>You knew all along that the voice of the pig was intended to echo the
>>conscience of the meat consumer,

> No. It was intended to create the impression that pigs know they will
> be slaughtered, and suffer mentally from that knowledge.

BULLSHIT! It conveys how the author believes we should think about
livestock.

>>never the pig itself.
>>
>>What a lying asshole.

> They are both fantasies.

They are rhetorical devices. They don't imply any powers in pigs or cows.

> The difference between you and I is that
> I know and admit it, but you either don't know it or won't admit it. If
> there is any value in Salt's fantasy, then there is just as much value
> in my fantasy. More in mine actually, since a greater percentage of
> things in my fantasy are things that the animals are aware of. There
> is practically nothing in Salt's fantasy that pigs could ever learn about.

That's not the point asshole!

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:40:45 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:

> wrote

>>>Were you intending to convey that cows can actually talk and think those
>>>things?
>>>
>>>So what is all this crap about Salt's essay being a fantasy about a
>>>talking
>>>pig?

>> That's what it is, like my fantasy about a typing cow.

>Exactly, so your objections have been bullshit, which says you have no REAL
>objections.
>
>>>You knew all along that the voice of the pig was intended to echo the
>>>conscience of the meat consumer,

>> No. It was intended to create the impression that pigs know they will
>> be slaughtered, and suffer mentally from that knowledge.

>BULLSHIT! It conveys how the author believes we should think about
>livestock.

Right. He wants people to think that livestock know they will be slaughtered,
and suffer mentally from that knowledge.

>>>never the pig itself.
>>>
>>>What a lying asshole.

>> They are both fantasies.

>They are rhetorical devices.

Fantasies.

>They don't imply any powers in pigs or cows.

The pigs or cows would be required to do things pigs and cows are not
capable of doing, in order for the fantasies to be taken seriously.

>> The difference between you and I is that
>> I know and admit it, but you either don't know it or won't admit it. If
>> there is any value in Salt's fantasy, then there is just as much value
>> in my fantasy. More in mine actually, since a greater percentage of
>> things in my fantasy are things that the animals are aware of. There
>> is practically nothing in Salt's fantasy that pigs could ever learn about.

>That's not the point asshole!

We are talking about things that are cruel *to the animals*. Most of the
things Salt's pig is talking about are things that pigs will never know about,
and therefore are not cruel to them. They aren't even aware that they are
in danger while at the slaughterhouse, unless things go badly wrong.
Dutch

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:40:45 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>
> wrote

>>> That's what it is, like my fantasy about a typing cow.

>>Exactly, so your objections have been bullshit, which says you have no
>>REAL
>>objections.

>>> No. It was intended to create the impression that pigs know they will
>>> be slaughtered, and suffer mentally from that knowledge.

>>BULLSHIT! It conveys how the author believes we should think about
>>livestock.

> Right. He wants people to think that livestock know they will be
> slaughtered,
> and suffer mentally from that knowledge.

Actually the pig says he doesn't mind that part so much, he says "If, then,
thou art firm set on pork, so be it, for pork I am:.." So you are dead
wrong, you're not reading the passage for comprehension.

In other words the author believes raising pigs for pork is not the real
immoral thing, it's the self-serving rationalization that he finds
offensive. So do I.

>>> They are both fantasies.

>>They are rhetorical devices.

> Fantasies.

I doesn't matter what you call it. It doesn't imply human abilities in pigs.

>>They don't imply any powers in pigs or cows.

> The pigs or cows would be required to do things pigs and cows are not
> capable of doing, in order for the fantasies to be taken seriously.

The device is not meant to imply that pigs are actually capable of such
things as speech. How could you even suggest that?

>>> The difference between you and I is that
>>> I know and admit it, but you either don't know it or won't admit it. If
>>> there is any value in Salt's fantasy, then there is just as much value
>>> in my fantasy. More in mine actually, since a greater percentage of
>>> things in my fantasy are things that the animals are aware of. There
>>> is practically nothing in Salt's fantasy that pigs could ever learn
>>> about.

>>That's not the point asshole!

> We are talking about things that are cruel *to the animals*.

No we are not, this is not about cruelty to animals at all, it is condemning
a way of thinking that proposes that man may raise pigs for pork while at
the same time claiming a moral victory because that same animal "experienced
life". It has nothing to do with the pig, it has to do with immoral and
unethical thinking.

> Most of the
> things Salt's pig is talking about are things that pigs will never know
> about,
> and therefore are not cruel to them. They aren't even aware that they are
> in danger while at the slaughterhouse, unless things go badly wrong.

The paragraph is all about the last part of the sentence I began above,
which goes "..but though thou hast not spared my life, at least spare me thy
sophistry."

This is a message to people who use such devious and circular logic to
justify something they do, it's not about the killing the pig at all.

The passage....

[...]

Rudy Canoza

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:40:45 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>

> wrote

>>> That's what it is, like my fantasy about a typing cow.

>>Exactly, so your objections have been bullshit, which says you have no REAL
>>objections.

Right.

>>> No. It was intended to create the impression that pigs know they will
>>>be slaughtered, and suffer mentally from that knowledge.

>>BULLSHIT! It conveys how the author believes we should think about
>>livestock.

> Right.

Right: that it is not a benefit to the pig to cause it
to live.

>>> They are both fantasies.

>>They are rhetorical devices. They don't imply any powers in pigs or cows.

> The pigs or cows

Do not benefit from being caused to live. That is
Salt's point, and it is correct.

>>>The difference between you and I is that
>>>I know and admit it, but you either don't know it or won't admit it. If
>>>there is any value in Salt's fantasy, then there is just as much value
>>>in my fantasy. More in mine actually, since a greater percentage of
>>>things in my fantasy are things that the animals are aware of. There
>>>is practically nothing in Salt's fantasy that pigs could ever learn about.

>>That's not the point asshole!

> We are talking about things that are cruel *to the animals*.

No. We are talking about whether or not causing
animals to be conceived and born is a benefit to those
animals. It is not, for logically unassailable reasons.

Life _per se_ is not a benefit to farm animals.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 06:27:22 GMT, the Gonad wrote:

>You are a shitbag,

Explain what you're afraid might happen if people
deliberately try to contribute to decent lives for farm
animals with their lifestyle.

Muffin Logic Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 0 06-01-2012 07:05 PM
Logic of terroir Max Hauser Wine 16 16-04-2007 10:44 AM
The real logic of what we should be eating PeterL General Cooking 71 18-02-2007 04:09 AM
spinach logic Julia Altshuler General Cooking 10 16-09-2006 07:49 PM
FAQ logic - Water Bluesea Tea 33 16-02-2005 02:10 AM