Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default spinach logic

I'm guessing that the price of frozen spinach (great for spanakopita)
will go way down now that the e.coli outbreak is in the news concerning
bagged raw spinach. It should be the right time to stock up. I'll
check the price at the supermarket over the next few days.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> I'm guessing that the price of frozen spinach (great for spanakopita)
> will go way down now that the e.coli outbreak is in the news concerning
> bagged raw spinach. It should be the right time to stock up. I'll
> check the price at the supermarket over the next few days.

I keep thinking I should make spanakopita, but it's hardly worthwhile for
two of us. The only use I have ever had for frozen spinach is a spinach
boat dip made with spinach, Knorr vegetable soup mix, a grated onion and
mayonnaise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>.................. The only use I have ever had for frozen spinach is a
>spinach
> boat dip made with spinach, Knorr vegetable soup mix, a grated onion and
> mayonnaise.

oh, i have a great casserole with spinach, rice, and nutmeg,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I keep thinking I should make spanakopita, but it's hardly worthwhile for
> two of us. The only use I have ever had for frozen spinach is a spinach
> boat dip made with spinach, Knorr vegetable soup mix, a grated onion and
> mayonnaise.

The only way I really like spinach is well-cooked as in a soup or
casserole. For that, frozen is the way to go since it saves the step of
cleaning. I defrost, squeeze out the excess moisture and am good to go.

If you like spanakopita in general but don't want the trouble of
buttering and layering all the phyllo or opening an entire package of
phyllo for just 2 people, you can make an excellent casserole with just
the innards in a casserole dish.

I don't measure for this one so an approximate recipe looks like this:

Brown sliced onion in butter or olive oil.
Add minced garlic until aroma is released.
Remove from heat and use the fry pan for your mixing bowl. (Less
cleaning that way.)
Stir in defrosted and squeezed spinach.
Add and stir in eggs, crumbled feta cheese and ricotta cheese.
Add seasonings such as oregano, dried garlic, salt, pepper.
Empty mixture into a buttered casserole dish.
Top with grated hard cheese like parmesan, kasseri, cheddar.
Bread crumbs might be good here though I generally don't use them.
Bake at 350 degrees until all is bubbly and solid.
Good hot or cold.
You could also bake in a pie crust, and it would be a sort of quiche.
I've also been known to add mushrooms, red peppers, kale (actually
prefer it to spinach), grated carrots. The only important point is to
make sure the vegetables don't give off too much water. So saute the
mushrooms first so they're dry.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> I'm guessing that the price of frozen spinach (great for spanakopita)
> will go way down now that the e.coli outbreak is in the news concerning
> bagged raw spinach. It should be the right time to stock up. I'll
> check the price at the supermarket over the next few days.

Huh? Why wouldn't it go up as people switch out of fear from fresh to
frozen? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>>I'm guessing that the price of frozen spinach (great for spanakopita)
>>will go way down now that the e.coli outbreak is in the news concerning
>>bagged raw spinach. It should be the right time to stock up. I'll
>>check the price at the supermarket over the next few days.
>>

> Huh? Why wouldn't it go up as people switch out of fear from fresh to
> frozen? -aem

Good question. I was thinking that the price would go down as fear of
bagged spinach would extend to fear of bagged anything which would
extend to fear of frozen spinach and would finally extend to fear of
anything green including lime lifesavers and green gummi worms. People
tend not to be logical when they're hysterical. Let's see how it goes.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> aem wrote:
> > Julia Altshuler wrote:
> >
> >>I'm guessing that the price of frozen spinach (great for spanakopita)
> >>will go way down now that the e.coli outbreak is in the news concerning
> >>bagged raw spinach. It should be the right time to stock up. I'll
> >>check the price at the supermarket over the next few days.
> >>

> > Huh? Why wouldn't it go up as people switch out of fear from fresh to
> > frozen?

> Good question. I was thinking that the price would go down as fear of
> bagged spinach would extend to fear of bagged anything which would
> extend to fear of frozen spinach and would finally extend to fear of
> anything green including lime lifesavers and green gummi worms. People
> tend not to be logical when they're hysterical. Let's see how it goes.

There goes the St. Paddy's Day green beer... and watching Popeye
cartoons...

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> I'm guessing that the price of frozen spinach (great for spanakopita)
>> will go way down now that the e.coli outbreak is in the news concerning
>> bagged raw spinach. It should be the right time to stock up. I'll
>> check the price at the supermarket over the next few days.
>>

> Huh? Why wouldn't it go up as people switch out of fear from fresh to
> frozen? -aem

I missed some of this. I like fresh spinach. I detest frozen spinach. I LOVE
canned spinach. I know, I'm the only person in the world who does. Is canned
spinach under suspicion? I have a case of much loved Del Monte canned whole
spinach in my pantry.

Really,
Charliam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> There goes the St. Paddy's Day green beer... and watching Popeye
> cartoons...
>
> Sheldon

Didn't Popeye switch to broccoli recently. I swear I saw it on the Food
Channel. Broccoli is good with Olive Oyl. I'm sure that Bluto has a secret
stash of garlic too. It only makes sense that he would.

Charliam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> > I keep thinking I should make spanakopita, but it's hardly worthwhile for
> > two of us. The only use I have ever had for frozen spinach is a spinach
> > boat dip made with spinach, Knorr vegetable soup mix, a grated onion and
> > mayonnaise.

> The only way I really like spinach is well-cooked as in a soup or
> casserole. For that, frozen is the way to go since it saves the step of
> cleaning. I defrost, squeeze out the excess moisture and am good to go.

I am not a huge fan of it, but I actually learned to like it cooked the way my
wife does it. She heats up a pan, rinses the spinach leaves, shakes them off,
rinses them again but instead of shaking them off again she tosses them into
the hot pot for one minutes, then stirs it around and serves it immediately.
It doesn't get that nasty taste that spinach develops when it is over cooked.

A few years ago spinach soup was one of the options with a dinner special at a
Portuguese restaurant in Montreal. It didn't sound very appealing, but it
sounded better than the other option, so I ordered it. It turned out to be
delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Good question. I was thinking that the price would go down as fear of
> bagged spinach would extend to fear of bagged anything which would
> extend to fear of frozen spinach and would finally extend to fear of
> anything green including lime lifesavers and green gummi worms. People
> tend not to be logical when they're hysterical. Let's see how it goes.

Fortunately, it's time to begin planting the cool season veggies here
in SoCal. Last year we overdid the lettuces and didn't plant enough
spinach. Both work best for us if we're diligent about sowing the
seeds at two or three week intervals. This year I'm going to go look
for more varieties of spinach. Last year's Olympia hybrid was good but
not so outstanding as to prevent trying others. -aem

Muffin Logic Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 0 06-01-2012 06:05 PM
Roux vs Cornstarch ; logic please Mike[_25_] General Cooking 6 05-10-2009 07:18 PM
Logic of terroir Max Hauser Wine 16 16-04-2007 10:44 AM
FAQ logic - Water Bluesea Tea 33 16-02-2005 01:10 AM
The Logic of the Talking Pig Rudy Canoza Vegan 89 27-01-2005 02:28 AM