Jack Blake

Default Wanted; a complete list of 'buttery spread' brands besides Earth Balance

Hi, I'm looking for less-expensive alternatives to Earth Balance, Soy
Garden, Smart Balance.

Anybody have a list of their competitors, and price-comparisons?

Thanks.
Nosir Arafat

lostcherree wrote:
>>Hi, I'm looking for less-expensive alternatives to Earth Balance, Soy
>>Garden, Smart Balance.
>>
>>Anybody have a list of their competitors, and price-comparisons?
>>
>>Thanks.

> I used Fleishman's ...

Fleischmann's.

> I'm pretty sure that is vegan

I'm pretty sure you're WRONG. From the label:
INGREDIENTS: VEGETABLE OIL BLEND (LIQUID CORN OIL, LIQUID
SOYBEAN OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED AND HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN
OIL), *WHEY*, WATER, SALT, VEGETABLE MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES AND
SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIERS), POTASSIUM SORBATE AND SODIUM
BENZOATE (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), PHOSPHORIC ACID (ACIDULANT),
ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, COLORED WITH BETA
CAROTENE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN A), VITAMIN D3 ADDED.
*CONTAINS: MILK*
http://www.fleischmanns.com/products/original.jsp

Honestly, though, you should be much more concerned about the presence
of transfats from the hydrogenated oil in it. The amount in a serving
size of 1 tbsp allows them to claim zero transfat, but there is some in
it -- and more of it than the whey, which is entirely fat-free won't
clog your arteries.

BTW, all Fleischmann's margarines have a kosher mark of "(U)-Dairy".
Wink, wink.

> and I dont remember it being expensive

It shouldn't be. It's made of crap oils like hydrogenated soy oil and
corn oil. The former elevates LDL (bad cholesterol) and suppresses HDL
(good cholesterol); the latter is okay in moderation. Both, though, are
rich in omega-6 FAs. Your body gets plenty omega-6 FAs from the nuts you
eat as well as from all the other sources of vegetable oil you consume.
You should make sure you're getting enough omega-3 FAs to maintain a
healthy balance between the two. An imbalance of too much omega-6 and
too little omega-3 can cause serious health problems, including cancer.

Generally speaking, people ingest far more omega-6 acids than
omega-3 acids. That's because the sources for omega-6 acids
taste better: cereals, eggs, poultry, most vegetable oils,
whole-grain breads, baked goods, and margarine. Omega-6, or
linolenic acid, may produce the inflammatory acids known as
prostaglandins that promote cancer, according to new research.

Dr. Ann Kulze, a primary care physician in Charleston, S.C.,
said that omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are vital components
of a healthy diet. "These fats are designed to work together,"
she said. "Too much of one and not enough of the other is
dangerous to your health. That's why it's extremely important to
achieve a balance between the two, both to promote optimum
weight loss and general health status."

According to the American Cancer Society, omega-3 acids and
omega-6 acids work well because they counterbalance each other
as important nutrients involved in many human biological
processes.

"Americans currently eat an overabundance of omega-6 fats
relative to omega-3 fats, which is unfortunate," Kulze
explained. "Generally, omega-3s oppose the effects of omega-6
and are anti-inflammatory, anti-blood clotting, and
anti-cellular growth. Like a seesaw moving up and down, the two
constantly work at achieving equilibrium, but when diets are
deficient in omega-3s, a healthy balance is impossible to
achieve."
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=41236

> smart balance is vegan?

No. And it's made from palm fruit oil, which is its source of saturated
fat. It's marginally better for you than the transfat in Fleischmann's.
Like your Fleischmann's, it has whey. It also has "natural and
artificial flavors" which might be of animal origin. Why should that
bother you since you didn't even read your Fleischmann's label to see
the whey, the kosher-dairy symbol, OR the allergen warning that it
contains milk (in big capital letters)?
lostcherree

Nosir Arafat > wrote in
:

> [...]

> she said. "Too much of one and not enough of the other is
> dangerous to your health. That's why it's extremely important to
> achieve a balance between the two, both to promote optimum
> weight loss and general health status."
>
> According to the American Cancer Society, omega-3 acids and
> omega-6 acids work well because they counterbalance each other
> as important nutrients involved in many human biological
> processes.
>
> "Americans currently eat an overabundance of omega-6 fats
> relative to omega-3 fats, which is unfortunate," Kulze
> explained. "Generally, omega-3s oppose the effects of omega-6
> and are anti-inflammatory, anti-blood clotting, and
> anti-cellular growth. Like a seesaw moving up and down, the two
> constantly work at achieving equilibrium, but when diets are
> deficient in omega-3s, a healthy balance is impossible to

I dont have that kind???

I'm not such an idiot I would buy stuff with whey and ask if it was vegan

your trillion ingredient list doesnt resemble the box I have at all... so
thanks for your lack of good information

and also I dont slab margarine all over everything so no I'm not worried
about the unhealthy side of margarine

suck my left one
Nosir Arafat

lostcherree wrote:

> [...]

>> she said. "Too much of one and not enough of the other is
>> dangerous to your health. That's why it's extremely important to
>> achieve a balance between the two, both to promote optimum
>> weight loss and general health status."
>>
>> According to the American Cancer Society, omega-3 acids and
>> omega-6 acids work well because they counterbalance each other
>> as important nutrients involved in many human biological
>> processes.
>>
>> "Americans currently eat an overabundance of omega-6 fats
>> relative to omega-3 fats, which is unfortunate," Kulze
>> explained. "Generally, omega-3s oppose the effects of omega-6
>> and are anti-inflammatory, anti-blood clotting, and
>> anti-cellular growth. Like a seesaw moving up and down, the two
>> constantly work at achieving equilibrium, but when diets are
>> deficient in omega-3s, a healthy balance is impossible to

Why are you asking ME what you have?

> I'm not such an idiot

Don't kid yourself.

> your trillion ingredient list doesnt resemble the box I have at all...

That's from their website.

> suck my left one

No thanks. I don't know where it's been, skank.

Buttery Spread Resolved! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 1 04-02-2014 06:28 AM
buttery Chard RichD General 0 20-01-2012 04:31 AM
The Complete Belgian Brewery/Beerfirm List Filip Geerts Beer 0 27-11-2005 09:14 AM
Wanted - Garden Vegetable Cheese Spread Carol \Damsel\ Peterson General Cooking 47 22-10-2005 12:48 AM
Vegan buttery-spread recipe wanted, please post Jack Blake Vegan 1 09-01-2005 04:20 AM