Old 04-12-2018, 11:16 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,alt.philosophy,free.bharat,soc.culture.india

Default How the rise of veganism may tenderise fictional*language

How the rise of veganism may tenderise fictional*language

By Shareena Z. Hamzah
Postdoctoral Researcher, Swansea University
The Conversation, theconversation.com
November 22, 2018

Excerpts:

It is not surprising that food metaphors, often meat-based,
infuse our daily speech. There is invariably a
gastronomically themed way of expressing almost any
situation. Having money troubles? Then your goose is cooked
if you don't bring home the bacon.

[...]

The increased awareness of vegan issues will filter through
our consciousness to produce new modes of expression
after all, there's more than one way to peel a potato. At
the same time, metaphors involving meat could gain an
increased intensity if the killing of animals for food
becomes less socially acceptable. The image of "killing two
birds with one stone" is, if anything, made more powerful
by the animal-friendly alternative of "feeding two birds
with one scone". If veganism forces us to confront the
realities of food's origins, then this increased awareness
will undoubtedly be reflected in our language and our
literature.

Continues at:

https://theconversation.com/how-the-...anguage-106576

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi