General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 03:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 196
Default Language of FoodTV

Wanna be a cook? Learn the proper use of the reduntant words "out" and
"up" and learn to glorify your work, regardless of its mediocrity.

Giada does it a lot:

Measure out
Thaw out
Grill up
Pack up (cookies)
My perfect (whatever)

SLee is worse:

Mix this up
Cook this up
Stir this up
Toast this up
While these are baking up
Finish off (my rice)
It's thickening up
Finish up
Press these down (patties)
My super super simple (whatever)
My phenomenal (whatever)
My wonderful (whatever)

Then SLee makes the most incredible statement. She wraps bacon around
a hot dog and "cooks it up" and says, "Kids love these and it's an
easy way to get protein into them."

Yep. Also a good way to watch them "fatten up".






  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 07:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,880
Default Language of FoodTV

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:00:39 -0400, raymond
wrote:

Then SLee makes the most incredible statement. She wraps bacon around
a hot dog and "cooks it up" and says, "Kids love these and it's an
easy way to get protein into them."

Yep. Also a good way to watch them "fatten up".

SL is skinny enough to know all about fat.

--
See return address to reply by email
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 05:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,546
Default Language of FoodTV

In article , sf wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:00:39 -0400, raymond
wrote:

Then SLee makes the most incredible statement. She wraps bacon around
a hot dog and "cooks it up" and says, "Kids love these and it's an
easy way to get protein into them."

Yep. Also a good way to watch them "fatten up".

SL is skinny enough to know all about fat.


Some kids need fattening up. Some don't. I weighed 135 pounds at 6'2".
I like hot dogs, slit lengthwise, stuffed with cheese, and bacon on top.
I bake them in a medium oven until the bacon is done (I sometimes nuke
the bacon a little first, until it is limp). I like these eaten with
knife and fork, with horseradish mustard. At my current weight, once or
twice a year is enough.
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,258
Default Language of FoodTV

On Jun 14, 9:00 pm, raymond wrote:
Wanna be a cook? Learn the proper use of the reduntant words "out" and
"up" and learn to glorify your work, regardless of its mediocrity.

Giada does it a lot:

Measure out
Thaw out
Grill up
Pack up (cookies)
My perfect (whatever)

SLee is worse:

Mix this up
Cook this up
Stir this up
Toast this up
While these are baking up
Finish off (my rice)
It's thickening up
Finish up
Press these down (patties)
My super super simple (whatever)
My phenomenal (whatever)
My wonderful (whatever)

Then SLee makes the most incredible statement. She wraps bacon around
a hot dog and "cooks it up" and says, "Kids love these and it's an
easy way to get protein into them."

Yep. Also a good way to watch them "fatten up".



You forgot "off," the most popular redundancy ever: cook off, sear
off, fry off, bake off, braise off, stew off, etc. etc. ad nauseum.
The competitors on Top Chef were particularly egregious, but many of
the FTV stars are guilty, too.

N.

  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,664
Default Language of FoodTV

raymond wrote:

Wanna be a cook? Learn the proper use of the reduntant words "out" and
"up" and learn to glorify your work, regardless of its mediocrity.


"Pop it into the oven!" I grow weary of hearing that phrase over and over.

Becca


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 504
Default Language of FoodTV

raymond wrote:

snip


SLee is worse:

Mix this up
Cook this up
Stir this up
Toast this up
While these are baking up
Finish off (my rice)
It's thickening up
Finish up
Press these down (patties)
My super super simple (whatever)
My phenomenal (whatever)
My wonderful (whatever)


"What I want you to do is..."
"What I want you to do is..."
"What I want you to do is..."
"What I want you to do is..."
"All you have to do is..."
"What I want you to do is..."
"Just come in here with your..."
"What I want you to do is..."
"Just go in with your..."
"All you have to do is..."
"What I want you to do is..."


Then SLee makes the most incredible statement. She wraps bacon around
a hot dog and "cooks it up" and says, "Kids love these and it's an
easy way to get protein into them."

Yep. Also a good way to watch them "fatten up".


But... but... it's just like gourmet!

(pout) Gordon likes it. (pout)

just stir in some vanilla extract and food coloring and spread it all
over the top. it's fine
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,230
Default Language of FoodTV

Dan Abel wrote:

In article , sf wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:00:39 -0400, raymond
wrote:

Then SLee makes the most incredible statement. She wraps bacon
around a hot dog and "cooks it up" and says, "Kids love these and
it's an easy way to get protein into them."

Yep. Also a good way to watch them "fatten up".

SL is skinny enough to know all about fat.


Some kids need fattening up. Some don't. I weighed 135 pounds at
6'2".


I hate you.



Brian

--
If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
won't shut up.
-- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-06-2007, 12:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,880
Default Language of FoodTV

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:38:32 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

I weighed 135 pounds at 6'2".


WOW! You were a real string bean. My hubby was 135 at 5'10" and
that's a skinny man.

--
See return address to reply by email
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-06-2007, 12:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,965
Default Language of FoodTV

sf wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:38:32 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

I weighed 135 pounds at 6'2".


WOW! You were a real string bean. My hubby was 135 at 5'10" and
that's a skinny man.


Dang, I'm 146 at 5'7". I must be HUGE in comparison. :-(

kili


  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-06-2007, 01:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,546
Default Language of FoodTV

In article , sf wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:38:32 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

I weighed 135 pounds at 6'2".


WOW! You were a real string bean. My hubby was 135 at 5'10" and
that's a skinny man.


It wasn't pleasant.


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-06-2007, 01:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,546
Default Language of FoodTV

In article ,
"kilikini" wrote:

sf wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:38:32 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

I weighed 135 pounds at 6'2".


WOW! You were a real string bean. My hubby was 135 at 5'10" and
that's a skinny man.


Dang, I'm 146 at 5'7". I must be HUGE in comparison. :-(



We're on the rfc mugshots page. I'm about 170 pounds now.
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-06-2007, 05:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 236
Default Language of FoodTV


"Nancy2" wrote in message
ups.com...


You forgot "off," the most popular redundancy ever: cook off, sear
off, fry off, bake off, braise off, stew off, etc. etc. ad nauseum.
The competitors on Top Chef were particularly egregious, but many of
the FTV stars are guilty, too.

N.


For whatever reason, that's pretty common in commercial kitchens. As is
f*** off, during the height of Friday or Saturday night's dinner service!




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very OT - an ol Frech language movie Bryan-TGWWW General Cooking 2 08-09-2014 01:44 AM
English the funniest language learnspeakingenglish General Cooking 34 16-11-2010 04:22 PM
Bad Language on Cooking Shows Fritz Tynan General Cooking 2 06-05-2008 03:48 AM
French-language recipe archives? Brian Connors General Cooking 10 14-02-2008 02:32 AM
Japanese language, slightly OT Lori Lee Sushi 12 29-03-2006 01:50 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017