Steve

Default Article: Atkins diet may make women infertile, interferes with genetic,imprinting

From:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=10086
Atkins diet may make women infertile, interferes with genetic
imprinting

If you are a woman and you are on the Atkins diet, you may have a
problem if you want to start a family, say scientists. A high protein
diet could make it more difficult for a woman to conceive. Scientists
at the Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine, Englewood, USA, have
come to this tentative conclusion after carrying out a study on mice.

Dr. David Garner, lead researcher, said "Although our investigations
were conducted in mice, our data may have implications for diet and
reproduction in humans." He said that a diet which consists of 25% (or
more) protein disrupts the development of mice embryos.

Dr. Garnes believes the same problem may appear in humans.

There is a genetic process called ‘imprinting'. This controls the
activity of genes inherited from the mother and father. A high protein
diet seems to interfere with this process.

The scientists had two groups of mice. They fed one group on a diet of
25% protein and the other group on 14% (protein). Four weeks after
being on this diet they mated.

Only a third of the mice (36%) on the high protein diet developed with
a normal H19 gene, as opposed to 70% of the other group.

Only 65% of the embryos from the high protein group developed into
baby mice while 81% of the lower protein group embryos developed into
baby mice.

They also found that the fetuses in the high protein group developed
more slowly than the other group. They also found more defects in the
baby mice from the high protein group.
--
Steve
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real unless it can be seen
on television or bought in a shopping mall"
John Coleman

see also http://www.atkinsfacts.org/

NeitherDisneylandNorMecca

In article >,
says...

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=10086
> Atkins diet may make women infertile, interferes with genetic
> imprinting
>

> If you are a woman and you are on the Atkins diet, you may have a
> problem if you want to start a family, say scientists. A high protein
> diet could make it more difficult for a woman to conceive. Scientists
> at the Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine, Englewood, USA, have
> come to this tentative conclusion after carrying out a study on mice.

<SNIP>

On a positive note though, at least there will be far fewer arrogant
Americans around as a result of their fad diet.
Let 'em die out as a consequence of their meat obsessed lifestyles - the
sooner the better I say.

NeitherDisneylandNorMecca

Steve

NeitherDisneylandNorMecca wrote:
> On a positive note though, at least there will be far fewer arrogant
> Americans around as a result of their fad diet.
> Let 'em die out as a consequence of their meat obsessed lifestyles - the

I'm an American, a vegan, and I posted that article.

Steve
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real unless it can be seen
on television or bought in a shopping mall"
Ray Audette

See:
"Hominid Dietary Selection Before Fire."
Current Anthropology Vol. 25, No. 2 April 1984) 151-68.
Explains the constraints on human diet without fire.

Grain without the chemistry is indigestable consisting of flour, water
and fiber ( in French "papier mache"). It is not eaten by any species
of primate. The relationship between grain and cancer has been known
since 1843 when it was discovered that epidemological cancer rates
matched grain consumption everywhere in the world by the U of Paris
Medical School ( grain was the first idenified carcinogen being 120
years more mathmatically obvious than cigarettes). The reason for
this was only discovered in 2002 in Sweden ( google acrlyamides)when a
single slice of bread was assigned an Ames number of 300 ( cancer
ranking)- more than a full pack of cigarettes.

Potatoes are also undigestable raw yeilding less than 10% of their
nutritional value when eaten this way. They are also the most
chemically contaiminated food one can buy in America ( source
Smithsonian Magazine) and contain lectins that inhibit vitamin
absorbtion leading to a particular type of blindness caused by vitamin
A deficency. The British used the potatoes to enslave the Irish just
as the Incas had forced their vanquished foes to eat them in their
surender ceremonies.

Beans ( legumes) are by definition poisonous when raw containing
pesticides produced by these types of plants in nature. These include
neurotoxins that have been linked to Altzheimer's in the second
largest long-term nutrition study ever conducted ( U of Hawaii Medical
School. They also contain xeno-estogens that have been linked to
abnormal sexual development in children and agressive forms of
estrogen dependent cancers.

As to the history of the sucess of low-carb ( Paleolithic) diets see:

Knott,C. (1998). "Changes in orangutan diet, caloric intake and
ketones in response to fluctuating fruit availability." Int J Primatol
19: 1061-1079.
Seems apes have been doing the Atkins thing for tens of millions of
years though I'm glad I wasn't the guy following them around for two
years waiting to catch their urine falling from the tree tops to test
with ketosticks! BTW, pregnant and nursing females had the highest
levels of ketones. If a pregnant human is not in ketosis that
indicates gestational diabetes.

If you don't like my site visit www.paleodiet.com for more information
from scientists from around the world.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"
www.NeanderThin.com

Atkins diet [email protected] General Cooking 10 01-04-2005 07:19 PM
Atkins diet Freddy Wine 11 04-04-2004 08:34 AM
[Article]: Article and recipes on spiritual diet. Smart Book General Cooking 42 22-03-2004 07:55 PM
The Atkins diet dude Vegan 3 07-03-2004 12:33 PM
Atkins Diet Vicky and John General Cooking 38 07-11-2003 10:17 PM