Vaine

Default Vegan Restaurant

This summer I hope to open a vegan restaurant. The name will probably be
Patches Natural or Patches Natural Cooking.
Can any1 give me some of there fav Vegan Recipes for * style cooking.
*Grilling
*Mexican
*Italian
*Irish
*Cajun
*Asian
*French cooking/coffee
(not sure what type of food we'll serve, maybe all of 'em)
Im trying to also make it a cafe, with "home-made coffee"(we grind the
coffee beans, use soy milk/creamer, pick the vanilla/herbs from my garden)

We will also be making our own (red) wine, using diff herbs to flavor
it, so if you could also tell me good (herbal) flavors of wine that
would be nice.(I usually like when the grapes are planted with vanilla
or hemp, they giv the wine a good flavor)

So if you'll post some good casual restaurant type vegan recipes, id be
really greatfull.
Rubystars

"Vaine" > wrote in message
> This summer I hope to open a vegan restaurant.

In order to stay afloat you may have to offer some lacto ovo meals.

There's a restaurant here in Houston called the Hobbit Hole. It used to be a
vegetarian restaurant only but now they also serve some meat dishes in order
that vegetarians can go out to eat with their non-vegetarian friends and
have fun together (maybe even introduce them to some good veg food).

>The name will probably be
> Patches Natural or Patches Natural Cooking.
> Can any1 give me some of there fav Vegan Recipes for * style cooking.
> *Grilling
> *Mexican
> *Italian
> *Irish
> *Cajun
> *Asian
> *French cooking/coffee
> (not sure what type of food we'll serve, maybe all of 'em)
> Im trying to also make it a cafe, with "home-made coffee"(we grind the
> coffee beans, use soy milk/creamer, pick the vanilla/herbs from my garden)

That sounds good.

> We will also be making our own (red) wine, using diff herbs to flavor
> it, so if you could also tell me good (herbal) flavors of wine that
> would be nice.(I usually like when the grapes are planted with vanilla
> or hemp, they giv the wine a good flavor)
>
> So if you'll post some good casual restaurant type vegan recipes, id be
> really greatfull.

Why don't you make some basic soups? You should also offer soy ice cream for
desserts too.

-Rubystars

Yonder

Vaine,
Where do you plan to open this restraunt?

My brother and I have started to thinkabout it also, in CT.

Just curiois, if it was near me, I'd come and support.

I don't have any recipes I could pass along. I'm sure whatever you make
will be great. I'm sure you'll find plenty on the internet.

GoodLuck

--SW
NJ

"Vaine" > wrote in message
> This summer I hope to open a vegan restaurant. The name will probably be
> Patches Natural or Patches Natural Cooking.
> Can any1 give me some of there fav Vegan Recipes for * style cooking.
> *Grilling
> *Mexican
> *Italian
> *Irish
> *Cajun
> *Asian
> *French cooking/coffee
> (not sure what type of food we'll serve, maybe all of 'em)
> Im trying to also make it a cafe, with "home-made coffee"(we grind the
> coffee beans, use soy milk/creamer, pick the vanilla/herbs from my garden)
>
> We will also be making our own (red) wine, using diff herbs to flavor
> it, so if you could also tell me good (herbal) flavors of wine that
> would be nice.(I usually like when the grapes are planted with vanilla
> or hemp, they giv the wine a good flavor)
>
> So if you'll post some good casual restaurant type vegan recipes, id be
> really greatfull.

Vaine

Yonder wrote:
> Vaine,
> Where do you plan to open this restraunt?
>
> My brother and I have started to thinkabout it also, in CT.
>
> Just curiois, if it was near me, I'd come and support.
>
> I don't have any recipes I could pass along. I'm sure whatever you make
> will be great. I'm sure you'll find plenty on the internet.
>
> GoodLuck
>
> --SW
> NJ

Well Ill be opening mine in FL.
A lil south of you.
BlueHeron

Rubystars wrote:

> "Vaine" > wrote in message
>
>>This summer I hope to open a vegan restaurant.

> In order to stay afloat you may have to offer some lacto ovo meals.
>
> There's a restaurant here in Houston called the Hobbit Hole. It used to be a
> vegetarian restaurant only but now they also serve some meat dishes in order
> that vegetarians can go out to eat with their non-vegetarian friends and
> have fun together (maybe even introduce them to some good veg food).

That's pretty sad. I suppose it depends on where you are located,
because here in Montreal, there are quire a few vegan only restaurants
that do just fine. That has been my experience in Toronto as well, and
from doing some research on NYC, it works well there as well.

If your dishes are good enough, there is no reason why you should have
to "branch out" into ovo-lacto or meaty cuisine.

>>The name will probably be
>>Patches Natural or Patches Natural Cooking.
>>Can any1 give me some of there fav Vegan Recipes for * style cooking.
>>*Grilling
>>*Mexican
>>*Italian
>>*Irish
>>*Cajun
>>*Asian
>>*French cooking/coffee
>>(not sure what type of food we'll serve, maybe all of 'em)
>>Im trying to also make it a cafe, with "home-made coffee"(we grind the
>>coffee beans, use soy milk/creamer, pick the vanilla/herbs from my garden)

> That sounds good.

Good sounding indeed! A suggestion thought: If you are going to grind
your own beans (yay!), you should also look at roasting your own beens.
You get them even fresher and tastier.

I will just mention one of my favourite veggie-friendly (unfortunately,
the food is not very vegan friendly...) places here in Montreal: Cafe
Santropol (http://www.santropol.com/). They have been in business since
1976, selling Fair Trade coffee and tea years before it started to
become trendy. I buy there beans at a local co-op here because their
cafe is located at the other end of the island from me.

They recently (as in, the past 5 years or so) spun off another effort
called "Santropol Roulant", which is basically a locally funded
meals-on-wheels. That is where the profits from the cafe go.

As the emphasis is on it being a "cafe", they do not need a restaurant
license so long as the only "cooking" that they do is to boil water.
They instead qualify for a more restrictive (in what they can do), but
cheaper and easier to attain cafe license. Maybe that's just a Montreal
thing though, I don't know!

>>We will also be making our own (red) wine, using diff herbs to flavor
>>it, so if you could also tell me good (herbal) flavors of wine that
>>would be nice.(I usually like when the grapes are planted with vanilla
>>or hemp, they giv the wine a good flavor)
>>
>>So if you'll post some good casual restaurant type vegan recipes, id be
>>really greatfull.

Sandwitches are always good, and easy. Just use your imagination. Easy
to prepare, casusal, good lunches, and go well with coffee. Other
options include rice bowls, pasta (easy, and familiar to most people,
including non-vegans), chili.

I would offer some recipes, however, many of mine originally came from
local restaurants.

> Why don't you make some basic soups? You should also offer soy ice cream for
> desserts too.

Also excellent ideas.

A "curry cream of brocoli" soup that I have been playing with recently
goes something like this:

8 cups of vegetable broth
2 cups of soy milk
4 cups of diced potatoes
3 cups of thinly sliced leeks (just the white parts)
3-4 cups of chopped brocoli
3 cloves of pressed garlic
curry paste to taste.

Method:

* Simmer all ingredients about 1 hour, until vegetables are soft.
* blend soup in batches until mostly creamy (I like having some chunks
still in there).

-- Blue

usual suspect

BlueHeron wrote:
>> In order to stay afloat you may have to offer some lacto ovo meals.
>>
>> There's a restaurant here in Houston called the Hobbit Hole. It used
>> to be a
>> vegetarian restaurant only but now they also serve some meat dishes in
>> order
>> that vegetarians can go out to eat with their non-vegetarian friends and
>> have fun together (maybe even introduce them to some good veg food).

> That's pretty sad.

Why is it "pretty sad" to be able to dine with non-veg friends and family?

> I suppose it depends on where you are located,
> because here in Montreal, there are quire a few vegan only restaurants
> that do just fine. That has been my experience in Toronto as well, and
> from doing some research on NYC, it works well there as well.

There are also vegan-only restaurants in Houston, some of them quite good.
That's not the issue.

> If your dishes are good enough, there is no reason why you should have
> to "branch out" into ovo-lacto or meaty cuisine.

Re-read what Rubystars wrote. It's not simply about dishes, it's about what
*customers* wanted: foods that *others* will eat. That's how most businesses
function -- by selling customers what the customers want. In case you haven't
figured it out yet, most people are *not* veg-n. Some restaurants will niche
market to veg-ns, but others will try to accomodate everyone whether they eat
meat or dairy or not. Why does that trouble you?

<...>

WorldsWorst

The summer isn't that long way off and it seems you've very little time to
work with one of the most half-baked ideas I've come across in recent weeks.
Well done, your forte should be comedy and not running a restuarant - you
gave me a good laugh this morning (the funniest line was when you said
"maybe all of 'em" - yeah!). Incidentally, here in the UK it's illegal to
sell homemade wine/alcohol - I don't know where you are (US?) but I hope
you've researched this!

Get real!!