Jonathan Wachter

Default Fermenting Tofu?

Hi,

I was wondering if one could ferment tofu with certain bacteria, just
like with cheese.
As it is, tofu is curdled soy milk, just the beginning stage of cheese
is curdled animal milk.

Does anybody know anything about this? It's been in the back of my
mind for a while...

Thanks,
Jonathan
usual suspect

Jonathan Wachter wrote:
> I was wondering if one could ferment tofu with certain bacteria, just
> like with cheese.
> As it is, tofu is curdled soy milk, just the beginning stage of cheese
> is curdled animal milk.
>
> Does anybody know anything about this? It's been in the back of my
> mind for a while...

You can buy already prepared fermented tofu at Asian grocery stores. It
often has a strong cheesy flavor, and the texture is usually quite soft.
That might be your best bet for starting a culture if you want to make
your own, not to mention seeing if it suits your tastes. Some people
liken it to Limburger, only the taste is often every bit as powerful as
the smell.

Carey

"Jonathan Wachter" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if one could ferment tofu with certain bacteria, just
> like with cheese.
> As it is, tofu is curdled soy milk, just the beginning stage of cheese
> is curdled animal milk.
>
> Does anybody know anything about this? It's been in the back of my
> mind for a while...
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan

I've read about people trying to do things like "blue tofu" (like blue
cheese)...but so far it hasn't worked. The cultures just don't perform
right. Still hoping though

John Manning

In article >, Carey >
wrote:

> "Jonathan Wachter" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering if one could ferment tofu with certain bacteria, just
> > like with cheese.

> I've read about people trying to do things like "blue tofu" (like blue
> cheese)...but so far it hasn't worked. The cultures just don't perform
> right. Still hoping though

Fermented tofu is available in asian markets. I like it, but it's
definitely an acquired taste. It's like a very intense, salty soft
cheese.

http://allok-e.mandt.de/egeschichte.htm

--
-John
http://electronworks.com/recipes/
Rubystars

"John Manning" > wrote in message
news:230120040944114168%jgmanning@mindsEXCESSpring .com...
> In article >, Carey >
> wrote:
>
> > "Jonathan Wachter" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was wondering if one could ferment tofu with certain bacteria, just
> > > like with cheese.

> > I've read about people trying to do things like "blue tofu" (like blue
> > cheese)...but so far it hasn't worked. The cultures just don't perform
> > right. Still hoping though

> Fermented tofu is available in asian markets. I like it, but it's
> definitely an acquired taste. It's like a very intense, salty soft
> cheese.

Sounds like it might be good in recipes.

-Rubystars

Curried Tofu Apple Soup (Tofu) workingonit Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2010 03:05 AM
DAP to fermenting must jeff Winemaking 1 14-09-2005 12:46 PM
fermenting Alex Winemaking 3 28-09-2004 05:59 PM
Do I need a fermenting bin? Derrick Bateman Winemaking 5 04-07-2004 12:04 PM
what's fermenting? Dar V Winemaking 25 19-10-2003 01:56 AM