rick etter

Default Death means life

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
om...
> > http://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/2...18/story2.html

> Thia article is about what COULD happen to by-products in the future,
> not what is occurring today.

=======================
are your really that blinded by your brainwashing? Why did you snipp out
the quote that told you how it was used right now?
What part of; "...But what's now used for penny-a-pound livestock feed
eventually might be converted..." don't you understand?

> > http://www.cast-science.org/cast-science.lh/wast_nr.htm
> > "...virtually all waste products in agriculture have the potential to be
> > useful as crop nutrients, pet foods, or feed ingredients..."

> Again what COULD happen in the future.

=================
Again, your blindness is a terrible affliction, isn't it. IUses for feed is
what is happening now..
"...Processors of oils routinely dispose of soapstock in a variety of ways.
Some use it to produce fatty acid. Some sell it raw on the open market, and
others spray it on meal as a fat additive..."

> > http://www.westbioenergy.org/may2001/05-01a.html

> And here is the headline:
>
> Potato and Wood Wastes Could Feed an Ethanol Plant
>
> notice the Could in the headline.

=======================
Yes, stupid, it's a 'could' because they get too much money to use the waste
now as feed! Man, your blindness is terminal, isn't it?
"...these are currently sold as animal feed and command significantly higher
prices than would be economical for conversion to ethanol..."

> > http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/l406-w.htm

> Livestock producers frequently seek less costly feed alternatives
> because conventional feedstuffs are often expensive. During periods of
> drought and feed shortages, these feed alternatives may make the
> difference between keeping your beef herd or selling them. Although
> alternate feeds are used routinely, others depend on the location and
> situation.
>
> Again, this is from farmers looking to save some money by not feeding
> cattle what they are supposed to. GRASS

=======================
ROTFLMAO That's not the discussion. The discussion, which you have
dis-honestly snipped out without annotation, was that you are currently
supporting this industry because you buy the veggies that lead to these
wastes, without giving farmers an alternative option.

> > > The whole fact that animals are first grass-fed then fattened up on
> > > grain is what causes so many problems for these animals. It is not
> > > natural for these cattle to eat grain.

> > ==========================
> > LOL And where have *I* ever said otherwise? You must have a problem
> > reading.

> I think you are the one who can't read. You said yourself that most
> cattle are grass fed then finished off on grain. Go back and read
> what you posted.

====================
No, *you* are the one that climed they were all grain fed. have never said
anything but the fact that virtually all cattle are already grass fed.

> > As so as they are taken of
> > > grass and fed grain, they have to be put of high levels of
> > > antibiotics. Those antibiotics are still present in the meat you eat.

> > ====================
> > There is already a large and growing market for beef that is all grass

fed,
> > no hormones, and no antibiotics. *You* do nothing to support or

encourage
> > this alternative to the industry you claim is destroying the world.

Again,
> > boycotting all meats does not change the meat industry that you spew

about.

> My beef (every pun intended) with the cattle ranchers is not solely
> what they are feed. Just because cattle can be grass-fed, does not
> mean that were not treated un-humanely.

==================
Ah, another tap dance. Why can you not address what I'm discussing?
Afterall, you've already proven that treating animals inhumanely is not
really a concern of yours. Afterall, here you are on usenet posting your
ignorance around the world for all to just for some entertainment.

> > There are even
> > > more problems when it comes to dairy cows. Are they forced to produce
> > > more milk then nature intended?

> > ========================
> > I don't drink milk, so i can't tell you. I'm not sure how you 'force' a

cow
> > to give milk though. Hold a gun to its head and yell 'give it up, or
> > else!'?

> It's called hormones. They keep their hormones level high so they
> produce more milk. They first have to get the cows impregnanted.
> After the cow gives birth, they keep her hormone levels high so she
> can keep producing milk long after nature intended. God forbid if she
> gives birth to a boy. Boy cows born to a dairy cow are useless as
> they can not produce milk, and cannot be used for meat. Most are put
> to death before they have a chance at life.

========================
Wow, what a coinsidence, so are many mammals, birds, reptiles, fish and
amphibians just to supply you with cheap, convenient veggies.

> > > What happens to there young, mainly boys that are born to dairy
> > > cattle?

> > ==================
> > Boys? You really have a problem, don't you?

> Come on, let's be mature. This is supposed to be an intellectual
> debate between adults. Not between children.

==================
LOL Not when one side refers to cattles as 'boys'. You are using
deliberately emotive terms becasue you do not have a valid argument.

> > Many boys born to dairy cattle are not suitable for meat
> > > consumption and are put down immediately. What hormones are they
> > > given that is still present in the milk we drink?
> > >
> > > Until these questions are address, I do not feel it is right to eat
> > > meat.

> > ====================
> > No, you won't because you have not looked into the alternative market.

You
> > haven't looked because you don't want to *know* that your hate-filled
> > diatribes are just a pack of lys and delusions.

> First of all, learn how to spell. It's lies, not lys.

====================
No, fool, it "Lys" That's a special tribute to another fellow loonie of
yours that's just as brainwashed and delusional as you are. She used that
as her name for awhile, veryu apt, for that's all she posted, like you do...

Secondly, I
> have looked into it for your information. Just because a piece of
> meat is labeled grass fed, does not mean it the cattle was raised, put
> to death humanely.

==================
Then you must not eat anything, eh stupid? Why the sudden switch to animals
must bne treated humanely? Afterall, the animals that die for your veggies
are killed far more inhumanely than almost any slaughterd animal. Besides,
if you were really concerned, there isn't a farmer around that I know of
that wouldn't allow you to view their operations. You won't, because all
you want to do is spew your hatred of others, not reduce your bloody
footprints. Animals are just the tools you use, then you kill them.

rick etter

Default Death means life; "vegan" means stupid

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
om...
> > It's far to easy to show that there are some meat-included diets that

cause
> > far less death and suffering than some vegan diets. Yet you, and the

other
> > vegan loons here dismiss them or ignore them so that you can continue

your
> > hate-filled diatribes.

> Do you have any proof in your claims? How about some evidence to back
> it up.

================
see below, and then compare it to a grass fed cow, or a game animal...

> You jump to way too many conclusions. You say that I am so full of
> hate, just because I am a vegan. What many vegans strive for in quite
> the opposite of hate. What I strive for every animal on this planet
> to be treated with love and compassion.

================
What you claim to strive for and then present to others are two different
matters.
it's not a conclusion, but a fact demostrated by vegans here on usenet all
the time.

> I have conceeded many times that my diet does indeed kill animals. I
> have conceeded many times that there is no way to go through life
> without killing animals. I know that when fields are cleared for
> veggies, that animals will die.

==================
See, there's delusion #1. They are still dying. Not just when the field
was originally cleared. Mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, and amphibians die
by the millions and millions each and every year. You can delude yourself
and pretend it's only when the field was cleared, but that's just all that
it is, a delusion.

I just don't believe that the way we
> treat to animals we raise for meat is natural.

=============================
Then what is your 'beef' against game animals for meat? See, you so-called
concern just got blown out of the water, yet you'll still follow your simple
rule for simple minds, 'eat no meat.'

I don't not feel that
> keeping chickens locked up in cages all their life in natural. If we
> could go back to a way of life were all animals raised for meat were
> treated humanly, I would not have a problem eating meat. I know there
> are alternatives to the grass-fed cattle. I know there is "organic
> meat" available. But even the farms that raise "organic meat" still
> pratice things that I don't agree with.

=======================
Like what? killing animals, and causing suffering? Those happen every day
on the farms that provide you with your veggies!
You're just grasping at straws for an excuse to keep your mind firmly shut.
You will never reduce your bloody footprints until you honestly look at all*
options for your diet and lifestyle. But being a 'vegan' means more to you
than actually saving animals because it's become a religion.

> Now I am tried of your one arguement. You bore me. Please read up
> and find another topic to debate about.

=======================
It's an argument you cannot refute. That's why you are tired of it. When
you think you have something besides lys and delusions to offer as your
proof, come on back.

Here are some sites, with info on specific areas and
pesticides. Animals die.
http://www.abcbirds.org/pesticides/pesticideindex.htm
http://www.pmac.net/summer-rivers.html
http://www.pmac.net/fishkill.htm
http://www.pmac.net/summer-rivers.html
http://www.pmac.net/bird_fish_CA.html
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/news...00/nitrate.htm
http://www.abcbirds.org/pesticides/P...carbofuran.htm
http://www.nwf.org/internationalwildlife/hawk.html
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Pn36/pn36p3.htm
http://www.wwfcanada.org/satellite/p...feFactSheet.pd
http://www.panna.org/panna/resources...Cotton.dv.html
http://www.sustainablecotton.org/TOUR/

http://www.wildlifetrustofindia.org/...ele_poison.htm
http://species.fws.gov/bio_rhin.html
http://www.forages.css.orst.edu/Topi...rate/Mice.html
http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/news/food/vegan.html
http://www.hornedlizards.org/hornedlizards/help.html
http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/b-5093.html
http://www.orst.edu/dept/ncs/newsarc...00/nitrate.htm
http://www.orst.edu/instruct/fw251/n...riculture.html
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Pn35/pn35p6.htm

http://www.clearwater.org/news/powerplants.html
http://www.towerkill.com/index.html
http://www.repp.org/repp_pubs/articl.../04impacts.htm

Since your non-animal clothing isn't cruelty-free either,
here's a couple to cover some problems with cotton.
http://www.panna.org/panna/resources...Cotton.dv.html
http://www.sustainablecotton.org/TOUR/

To give you an idea of the sheer number of animals in a field,
here's some sites about *just* mice and voles. Note that there
can be 100s to 1000s in each acre, not the whole field.
http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache...state.edu/pubs
/natres/06507.pdf+%22voles+per+acre%22+field&hl=en&ie=UTF8
http://extension.usu.edu/publica/natrpubs/voles.pdf
http://extension.ag.uidaho.edu/district4/MG/voles.html
http://www.forages.css.orst.edu/Topi...rate/Mice.html

To cover your selfish pleasure of using usenet, and
maintaining a web page on same, here's are a couple
dealing with power and communications.
http://www.clearwater.org/news/powerplants.html
http://www.towerkill.com/index.html

rick etter

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
om...
> > You say it implicitly all the time by criticizing
> > meat eaters merely for their eating of meat.

> I have never critized meat eaters. I think you are free to eat what
> you please. My husband eats meat. I don't sit at the dinner table and
> make him feel bad for eating meat. Don't pretend that you know me.
> All vegans/vegetarians have different reasons for becoming so. But
> you and Mr. Rick come on a vegan web board and critize the way we
> live. You call us killers, stupid, morons. Don't you have a life?
> You are the ones critizing me, not the other way around.

======================
LOL Nope, think of it as improving your mind. It's obviously lacking in
knowledge now.
When you finally figure out that you *could* cause less death and suffering
by replacing many of your calories with some meats, then maybe you won't be
the stupid killing moron you are now. :-)

ipse dixit

On 11 Jan 2004 18:30:57 -0800, (Jennifer) wrote:

>My beef (every pun intended) with the cattle ranchers is not solely
>what they are feed. Just because cattle can be grass-fed, does not
>mean that were not treated un-humanely.

In fact, it doesn't even mean that the beef was
actually grass fed.

[Some meat producers use "grass-fed" to describe
animals that are raised in pens on industrial feed,
including corn, and finished on rations of grass in
feedlots far from home. A similar confusion still
surrounds "free-range," which can refer to animals
that roam where they please or to animals kept in
barns and allowed to range in circumscribed yards.
No one regulates the use of these terms, and given
how many years it took to achieve a national
definition of "organic," it may be a long time before
anyone does.]
http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2003/05/kummer.htm

[Grass Fed Claims; This would appear to be the
most commented upon topic in this docket. We
will not belabor all the points of concern which
are addressed but will focus on the areas of
concern to our cooperative of growers. While
Grain Fed addressed specifically what the method
IS, Grass Fed seems to try to define what it IS
NOT. This dichotomy is confusing. We feel that
you need to define both as what they ARE since
that is what is motivating the consumer.

While the intent of this language would suggest
that Grass Fed animals are not Grain Finished,
especially in Feedlots, the language as written is
not at all clear to that end. In fact by allowing
80% of consumed energy to be concentrated at
the finishing stage, our data suggests that beef
animals could be fed 50% forage /50% grain for
70 days at finishing. Likewise an animal could be
fed 85% grain for 60 days and still qualify under
these guidelines. This is absolutely not in line with
consumer expectations as is borne out in the
website comments.]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/comments/mc213.pdf
Jennifer

"rick etter" > wrote in message >...
> "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> om...
> > > http://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/2...18/story2.html

> > Thia article is about what COULD happen to by-products in the future,
> > not what is occurring today.

> =======================
> are your really that blinded by your brainwashing? Why did you snipp out
> the quote that told you how it was used right now?
> What part of; "...But what's now used for penny-a-pound livestock feed
> eventually might be converted..." don't you understand?

What part of the words "eventually might" don't YOU understand. Here
are some definitions for you if you did not already know what they
mean.

Eventually: At an unspecified future time.
Might: Used to indicate a certain measure of likelihood or
possibility.

In case you don't know what researching mean here is the definition:

Researching:
1. Scholarly or scientific investigation or inquiry.
2. Close, careful study.
Does that clear anything up for you. This article talks about what
might happen in the furture. Not what is happening now. The headline
of the article explains it all: 4 groups researching crop waste.

Are there any other big words you don't understand?

Jennifer

> Wow, what a coinsidence, so are many mammals, birds, reptiles, fish and
> amphibians just to supply you with cheap, convenient veggies.

Here are the figures that show how harmful meat production is to the
environment. If we stopped using animals for meat, that would mean
less grain that would have to be grown, less land that would have to
be cleared to grown said grain, less water that would have to be used,
less waste from animals that would effect the environment by
contaminating the water supply. How does that not greatly cut back on
the lives that would be lost with a vegetarian diet?

http://www.foodrevolution.org/eatingforpeace.htm

And the amount of grain that we grow in the West is mostly used to
feed our cattle. Eighty percent of the corn grown in this country is
to feed the cattle to make meat. Ninety-five percent of the oats
produced in this country is not for us to eat, but for the animals
raised for food. According to this recent report that we received of
all the agricultural land in the US, eighty-seven percent is used to
raise animals for food. That is forty-five percent of the total land
mass in the US.

More than half of all the water consumed in the US whole purpose is to
raise animals for food. It takes 2500 gallons of water to produce a
pound of meat, but only 25 gallons to produce a pound of wheat. A
totally vegetarian diet requires 300 gallons of water per day, while a
meat-eating diet requires more than 4000 gallons of water per day.

Raising animals for food causes more water pollution than any other
industry in the US because animals raised for food produce one hundred
thirty times the excrement of the entire human population. It means
87,000 pounds per second. Much of the waste from factory farms and
slaughter houses flows into streams and rivers, contaminating water
sources.

Each vegetarian can save one acre of trees per year. More than 260
million acres of US forests have been cleared to grow crops to feed
animals raised for meat. And another acre of trees disappears every
eight seconds. The tropical rain forests are also being destroyed to
create grazing land for cattle.

In the US, animals raised for food are fed more than eighty percent of
the corn we grow and more than ninety-five percent of the oats. We are
eating our country, we are eating our earth, we are eating our
children. And I have learned that more than half the people in this
country overeat.
Jennifer

> > Potato and Wood Wastes Could Feed an Ethanol Plant
> >
> > notice the Could in the headline.

> =======================
> Yes, stupid, it's a 'could' because they get too much money to use the waste
> now as feed! Man, your blindness is terminal, isn't it?
> "...these are currently sold as animal feed and command significantly higher
> prices than would be economical for conversion to ethanol..."

I have already state MANY times that the majority of corn and grain
produced in this country is for animal feed. Most of this product is
not fit for human consumption.
Jennifer

> > > ==========================
> > > LOL And where have *I* ever said otherwise? You must have a problem
> > > reading.

> > I think you are the one who can't read. You said yourself that most
> > cattle are grass fed then finished off on grain. Go back and read
> > what you posted.

> ====================
> No, *you* are the one that climed they were all grain fed. have never said
> anything but the fact that virtually all cattle are already grass fed.

And I quote "No, because virtually all cattle are grass fed, and then
finished on grains. Does that not compute anywhere in your
brainwashing?"

This came straight from YOUR post. Having trouble are we keeping up
with what you said in the past?
Jennifer

> When you finally figure out that you *could* cause less death and suffering
> by replacing many of your calories with some meats, then maybe you won't be
> the stupid killing moron you are now. :-)

And does would adding more meat in my diet equate to less deaths?
Since the majority of grain and corn produced in this country goes to
feed farm animals. Wouldn't that increase the amounts of deaths? The
more animals that are needed for human consumption, there is a greater
need for feed, and farm land to raise said feed.

Not to mention they amount of water needed to raise farm animals.
Fresh water is a very important resource that we are slowly running
out of. It would greatly help the environment if we stopped raised
animals for food.
Jonathan Ball

Jennifer wrote:

>>When you finally figure out that you *could* cause less death and suffering
>>by replacing many of your calories with some meats, then maybe you won't be
>>the stupid killing moron you are now. :-)

> And does would adding more meat in my diet equate to less deaths?

Adding, by itself? Probably not. However, doing some
judicious *substitution* of meat for some non-meat
items could well yield a reduction.

> Since the majority of grain and corn produced in this country goes to
> feed farm animals. Wouldn't that increase the amounts of deaths? The
> more animals that are needed for human consumption, there is a greater
> need for feed, and farm land to raise said feed.

Suppose the meat you added came from deer or elk that
you shot yourself? How many verifiable deaths would
you then be causing, and how many meals would you get
from one death? Or suppose you were to do something
like the NY Times reporter did? Recall that he bought
one steer and paid the costs associated with raising
it. I imagine you could do pretty much the same thing,
except with one that is raised by one of the
grass-fed-only ranchers. You'd buy the steer, let the
rancher raise it, and arrange to pay for any veterinary
and other incurred expenses at the time it was
slaughtered. As the slaughter of those steers appears
to be highly custom, you would be able to ensure that
the meat you obtained came from *your* steer, which
would enable you to know exactly how many deaths you
caused: ONE.

Now, you could substitute some single-death beef for
some of the multi-death things you eat. I suggest you
begin with the rice, as that is a notorious high-death
food.

> Not to mention they amount of water needed to raise farm animals.

Animals drinking water does not in and of itself cause
other animals to die.

> Fresh water is a very important resource that we are slowly running
> out of. It would greatly help the environment if we stopped raised
> animals for food.

Everything humans do has some kind of environmental
impact. It is a safe bet that you are not carefully
choosing the foods you eat in order to minimize your
overall environmental impact.

Jonathan Ball

Jennifer wrote:

>> You say it implicitly all the time by criticizing
>>meat eaters merely for their eating of meat.

> I have never critized meat eaters. I think you are free to eat what
> you please. My husband eats meat. I don't sit at the dinner table and
> make him feel bad for eating meat. Don't pretend that you know me.
> All vegans/vegetarians have different reasons for becoming so. But
> you and Mr. Rick come on a vegan web board and critize the way we
> live. You call us killers, stupid, morons. Don't you have a life?
> You are the ones critizing me, not the other way around.

I am not criticizing you for what you eat. I am
criticizing the shoddy reasoning you employ in deciding
*why* you are going to eat one thing and not another.
You clearly are a vegetarian for some vague, mushy
mixture of ethical and environmental reasons, but you
can't coherently defend the reasoning. It is very
clear that you are following a dietary rule - "don't
consume animal parts" - rather than adhering to genuine
ethical principles. If can't or won't see the
difference, I doubt I can explain it to you; there is,
whether or not you can see it, a vast difference.

rick etter

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
om...
> "rick etter" > wrote in message

> > "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > >
> > > Thia article is about what COULD happen to by-products in the future,
> > > not what is occurring today.

> > =======================
> > are your really that blinded by your brainwashing? Why did you snipp

out
> > the quote that told you how it was used right now?
> > What part of; "...But what's now used for penny-a-pound livestock feed
> > eventually might be converted..." don't you understand?

> What part of the words "eventually might" don't YOU understand. Here
> are some definitions for you if you did not already know what they
> mean.

=====================
You truely are that stupid, aren't you? the point of the post wasn't what
could happen to waste, but what *IS* happening now to the wastes.
They are used as feed! Try reading again, this statement tells you how the
waste IS being used right now! "...now used for penny-a-pound livestock
feed..."
You wanted proof that your waste vggie products are used in the livestock
industry, I have provided it. That you now what to change the subject and
look even more ignorant than you already do is fine with me, killer.

> Eventually: At an unspecified future time.
> Might: Used to indicate a certain measure of likelihood or
> possibility.

================
Let's take a look at the meaning of the word 'now', as in what waste is
being used as this instant, maybe that's what's throwing you.

Main Entry: 1now
Pronunciation: 'nau
1 a : at the present time or moment

> In case you don't know what researching mean here is the definition:
>
> Researching:

================
Something that you obviously have no dealingts with...

> 1. Scholarly or scientific investigation or inquiry.
> 2. Close, careful study.
> Does that clear anything up for you. This article talks about what
> might happen in the furture. Not what is happening now. The headline
> of the article explains it all: 4 groups researching crop waste.
>
> Are there any other big words you don't understand?

====================
Apparently you can't catch up on the meaning of 3 letter words yet. Care to
take another stab at proving your ignorance. killer?

rick etter

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
om...
> > Wow, what a coinsidence, so are many mammals, birds, reptiles, fish and
> > amphibians just to supply you with cheap, convenient veggies.
> >

> Here are the figures that show how harmful meat production is to the
> environment. If we stopped using animals for meat, that would mean
> less grain that would have to be grown, less land that would have to
> be cleared to grown said grain, less water that would have to be used,
> less waste from animals that would effect the environment by
> contaminating the water supply. How does that not greatly cut back on
> the lives that would be lost with a vegetarian diet?

====================
You still are missing it, aren't you killer?
I'm talking about grass fed beef and game. No grains are grown for them.
What part of *NO* do you now not understand?
I was surprised that you had problems with three letter words, but truly
amazed that you don't understand 2 letter words. Is english not your first
language?

> http://www.foodrevolution.org/eatingforpeace.htm
>
> And the amount of grain that we grow in the West is mostly used to
> feed our cattle.

==================
Again, zero grain is required for beef production. I suppose that 'zero' is
too hard a word for you too, since it has 4 letters.

snippage of spew that has no bearing on the discussion...

rick etter

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
m...
> > > Potato and Wood Wastes Could Feed an Ethanol Plant
> > >
> > > notice the Could in the headline.

> > =======================
> > Yes, stupid, it's a 'could' because they get too much money to use the

waste
> > now as feed! Man, your blindness is terminal, isn't it?
> > "...these are currently sold as animal feed and command significantly

higher
> > prices than would be economical for conversion to ethanol..."

> I have already state MANY times that the majority of corn and grain
> produced in this country is for animal feed. Most of this product is
> not fit for human consumption.

==================
That's not the discussion, fool. So, what's your point now? All you wanted
before was proof that waste materials from crop production was used for
livestock..
It's been delivered to you. Why no comment on you ignorance?

rick etter

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
m...

on

not

problem

> > > I think you are the one who can't read. You said yourself that most
> > > cattle are grass fed then finished off on grain. Go back and read
> > > what you posted.

> > ====================
> > No, *you* are the one that climed they were all grain fed. have never

said
> > anything but the fact that virtually all cattle are already grass fed.

> And I quote "No, because virtually all cattle are grass fed, and then
> finished on grains. Does that not compute anywhere in your
> brainwashing?"
>
> This came straight from YOUR post. Having trouble are we keeping up
> with what you said in the past?

======================
You don't even know anymore what you said that I replied to, do you?
You claimed that cows are kept in warehouses their whole lives. You claimed
that they are fed only grain. You never mentioned grass fed except that
that is how cows cows "should" be fed, and if they ever were be again we
wouldn't have any problems.
I suggest you start taking notes on what you write from now on, what with
your obviously limited vocabulary, and comprehension problems, it looks like
your memory is shot too.

Here's part of your ignorance for you to review....

the
animals that are used for our food never see the light of day. There
are kept in cages most of their lives. There are some smaller cattle
farms that do allow cows to roam free. But these are not the farms
that produce the majority of our meats. That is a fact. That is not
some PETA brainwashing. If you actually were to ready up more on the
subject, then you would see that most animals are kept in warehouses
there whole lives. Want proof. Pick up a magazine that caters to
cattle ranch farmers. They go into great detail on how to maximize
your profits in cattle farming. If cattle farmers were indeed keeping
the cattle in natural conditions, and allowing them to graze on grass
an hay, the way mother nature designed them, then we would not have
mad cow disease the would we?..."<<<<<

Now, a couple more points about you stupidity here. First off, almost half
of all beef cows are raised on farms with herds of less than 100 cows.
USDA, NASS publications... So your first spew about no small farms is just
that, spew.

Next, you spew about never seeing the light of day..
"...How are Cattle Raised?
All cattle start out eating grass; three-fourths of them are "finished"
(grown to maturity) in feedlots where they are fed specially formulated feed
based on corn or other grains..."

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/focusbeef.htm

Notice that all cows are grass fed, in direct contrdiction to your ignornat
claims. Notice also, that only 3/4 of all cows are actually finished on
grains.
Again there is a large and growing market for grass-fed beef. You can even
read USA Today for some info...
Side note, ther's even a picture of the cows out in pasture eating, my gosh,
grass! Of course, I' sure you'll just say the picture was staged for the
camera and as soon as USA Today left the cows were forced back into their
yokes of slavery, right, killer?

Now, since i have provided the things you want, tell me how cruelty-free
your veggies are. tell us how by just following a simple rule for simple
minds you automatically cause the least amount of death and suffering as you
possibly can. I won't hold my breath for any revelations...

I'll even provide you with some data to review...

[...]

Jennifer

> Suppose the meat you added came from deer or elk that
> you shot yourself?

That is completely out of the question, because I don't like to shoot
guns. But I don't see anything wrong with a hunter killing a deer, so
long as it is for food and not just for the sport. The unfortunate
thing about urban growth is that we have be taking over land that had
once belong to deer. Now they run through are cities. This proposes
a great danger to them. I traveled up north for Christmas and was
appalled to see the number of deer hit by cars on the side of the
road. So I don't see anything wrong with controlled deer hunts. I
myself could never do it.

> > Not to mention they amount of water needed to raise farm animals.

> Animals drinking water does not in and of itself cause
> other animals to die.

But is does when the water is used to produce grain and corn to feed
animals.
Jennifer

> I am not criticizing you for what you eat. I am
> criticizing the shoddy reasoning you employ in deciding
> *why* you are going to eat one thing and not another.
> You clearly are a vegetarian for some vague, mushy
> mixture of ethical and environmental reasons, but you
> can't coherently defend the reasoning. It is very
> clear that you are following a dietary rule - "don't
> consume animal parts" - rather than adhering to genuine
> ethical principles. If can't or won't see the
> difference, I doubt I can explain it to you; there is,
> whether or not you can see it, a vast difference.

What if any would be a "genuine ethical principle" that you would deem
worthy of a vegetarian diet? Culture? Religion? Besides these two
choices, most people choose to become vegetarian for numerous reasons.
Most I suspect to you seem like cushy enviromental reasons.
rick etter

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
om...
> > When you finally figure out that you *could* cause less death and

suffering
> > by replacing many of your calories with some meats, then maybe you won't

be
> > the stupid killing moron you are now. :-)

> And does would adding more meat in my diet equate to less deaths?

====================
Which meat? You haven't comprehended a single thing in this discussion,
have you?
Are you that full of hate and delusions that you can't even think for
yourself anymore?

> Since the majority of grain and corn produced in this country goes to
> feed farm animals.

=====================
Again, we aren't talking about the 'majority' of beef, now are we. Just as
we are not talking about you becoming completely self suffecient by growing
your own veggies. We are talking about options you have right now, that are
still convenient and won't interrupt that consumer driven lifestyle you
crave.

Wouldn't that increase the amounts of deaths?
=====================
You haven't been listening, have you? If you eat the kind of meats I have
been talking about, no it would not. It would reduce it! Is it really that
hard to see?
the death of one grass fed cow for beef or a game animal would provide you
with 100s of 1000s of calories for the death of that one animal. You cannot
seriously think that the production of 100s of 1000s of calories of the
veggies that would be replaced could cause fewer.

The
> more animals that are needed for human consumption, there is a greater
> need for feed, and farm land to raise said feed.

====================
NO, there isn't. Again, there is *NO* need to feed grains and crops to
cows. That it is done now is not an excuse for looking into alternatives if
you are truly looking for ways to reduce *your* impact on animals and the
environment. On top of that, a cows are already living most of their lives
on grass. Already in fields and pastures. The fields and pastures are
already there. Now, would it take more fields and pastures to keep the same
# of cows? Sure, but we're talking about grass lands, a far more natural
environment for other animals than mono-culture row cropping. Plus, they
could be where you take the grain fields out of production. Overall, far
more sound that the normal suggestion of using the grain fields to grow more
food for the world, when there is already more than enough that much of it
goes to waste already.

> Not to mention they amount of water needed to raise farm animals.
> Fresh water is a very important resource that we are slowly running
> out of. It would greatly help the environment if we stopped raised
> animals for food.

==================
Water for what? Crops?
Here's a chart that shows irrigation by crop type. You'll notice that
*your* veggies dominate the chart, and grains do not.
http://wwwga.usgs.gov/edu/ircropbar.html

Here's a chart for water usage in the US.. It's a USGS chart for sholl
kids, you should be able to read it...
You'll notice that only mining uses less water than livestock... And,
you'll notice that almost 1/2 of the water 'used' is returned to the
environment.
http://wwwga.usgs.gov/edu/summary95.html

Another tidbit, (from Australia, but I don't think water is any different
there)
beef cows take 16000 liters per year.
A vegetable garden takes 5000 liters per sq meter.
so, a garden about 30' by 100' would take over a million liters..
and you? You'll take 50000 liters...
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/web/root/d...08e37a810f38b9
4a256789000ee6bb/dc7ed245fd5879e0ca256bcf000ad4eb?OpenDocument

All you have is your brainwashing...

Again, now tell me how cruelty-free your diet is...

rick etter

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
m...
> > Suppose the meat you added came from deer or elk that
> > you shot yourself?

> That is completely out of the question, because I don't like to shoot
> guns. But I don't see anything wrong with a hunter killing a deer, so
> long as it is for food and not just for the sport. The unfortunate
> thing about urban growth is that we have be taking over land that had
> once belong to deer. Now they run through are cities. This proposes
> a great danger to them. I traveled up north for Christmas and was
> appalled to see the number of deer hit by cars on the side of the
> road. So I don't see anything wrong with controlled deer hunts. I
> myself could never do it.
>
> > > Not to mention they amount of water needed to raise farm animals.

> > Animals drinking water does not in and of itself cause
> > other animals to die.

> But is does when the water is used to produce grain and corn to feed
> animals.

====================
LOL

Here's a chart that shows irrigation by crop type. You'll notice that
*your* veggies dominate the chart, and grains do not.
"...Other crops, such as corn, don't rely on irrigation. .."
Wheat for grain is even further down the list than corn...
http://wwwga.usgs.gov/edu/ircropbar.html

Now, I'll give you partial credit, because all those irrigated crops for
your consumptions have waste invloved with them, and those wastes go into
the feed contributions. So, again, your highly irrigated crops are used to
feed livestock. A livestock indutry that you claim to hate, yet here you
are contributing to it as much as you can because you will not substitute a
less cruel food with ones you eat now. Ah, the irony of it all....

Here's a chart for water usage in the US.. It's a USGS chart for sholl
kids, you should be able to read it...
You'll notice that only mining uses less water than livestock... And,
you'll notice that almost 1/2 of the water 'used' is returned to the
environment.
http://wwwga.usgs.gov/edu/summary95.html

Another tidbit, (from Australia, but I don't think water is any different
there)
beef cows take 16000 liters per year.
A vegetable garden takes 5000 liters per sq meter.
so, a garden about 30' by 100' would take over a million liters..
and you? You'll take 50000 liters...
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/web/root/d...08e37a810f38b9
4a256789000ee6bb/dc7ed245fd5879e0ca256bcf000ad4eb?OpenDocument

rick etter

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
om...
> > I am not criticizing you for what you eat. I am
> > criticizing the shoddy reasoning you employ in deciding
> > *why* you are going to eat one thing and not another.
> > You clearly are a vegetarian for some vague, mushy
> > mixture of ethical and environmental reasons, but you
> > can't coherently defend the reasoning. It is very
> > clear that you are following a dietary rule - "don't
> > consume animal parts" - rather than adhering to genuine
> > ethical principles. If can't or won't see the
> > difference, I doubt I can explain it to you; there is,
> > whether or not you can see it, a vast difference.

> What if any would be a "genuine ethical principle" that you would deem
> worthy of a vegetarian diet? Culture? Religion? Besides these two
> choices, most people choose to become vegetarian for numerous reasons.
> Most I suspect to you seem like cushy enviromental reasons.

==================
No, many here are couching their diet on animal rights issues. Afterall,
this is a vegan newsgroup, and the premise behind veganism is *not* a diet,
but a lifestyle that supposedly reduces the exploitation and harm of
animals. It is an 'ethics' based religion. Complete with a belief in
faith. faith that just by not eating animals you do not kill them, or you
kill fewer, or you cause less to suffer... blah, blah, blah...

Nick P

I have no idea why this discussion continues, and the longer it does
with people trying to defend being vegan/vegetarian, the more people
like Jonathan and Rick feed on it.

I've no problem admiting that I'm a flaky vegetarian (meaning I still
consume egg and milk products) but I do it for a few reasons - First,
I'm healthier now than when I was eating meat, and two because in
comparison to what I was eating, I'm doing less damage now both to
myself and the environment.

As far as I can figure, I'm eating about the same food that I did when
I ate "animal products", minus the meat and leather products which I
just don't buy.

I eat the same amount of salad, and whatnot - I just eat a bit more
pasta now, usually vegetable based and organically grown, whenever I
can.

But all in all - The biggest thing here is that you guys are trolling.
You are doing no better than the vegan "Killers" - you are treating
these people people as though they were "beneath" you, and how is that
any better than what you are chastising them/us for?

Maybe if you actually dealt with people in a civil manner, it might
get you somewhere - but until then, you're just trolls, and nothing
more, sorry.

Nick

Jonathan Ball > wrote in message link.net>...
> Jennifer wrote:
>
> >> You say it implicitly all the time by criticizing
> >>meat eaters merely for their eating of meat.

> > I have never critized meat eaters. I think you are free to eat what
> > you please. My husband eats meat. I don't sit at the dinner table and
> > make him feel bad for eating meat. Don't pretend that you know me.
> > All vegans/vegetarians have different reasons for becoming so. But
> > you and Mr. Rick come on a vegan web board and critize the way we
> > live. You call us killers, stupid, morons. Don't you have a life?
> > You are the ones critizing me, not the other way around.

> I am not criticizing you for what you eat. I am
> criticizing the shoddy reasoning you employ in deciding
> *why* you are going to eat one thing and not another.
> You clearly are a vegetarian for some vague, mushy
> mixture of ethical and environmental reasons, but you
> can't coherently defend the reasoning. It is very
> clear that you are following a dietary rule - "don't
> consume animal parts" - rather than adhering to genuine
> ethical principles. If can't or won't see the
> difference, I doubt I can explain it to you; there is,
> whether or not you can see it, a vast difference.

Jennifer

> As the slaughter of those steers appears
> to be highly custom, you would be able to ensure that
> the meat you obtained came from *your* steer, which
> would enable you to know exactly how many deaths you
> caused: ONE.
>
> Now, you could substitute some single-death beef for
> some of the multi-death things you eat. I suggest you
> begin with the rice, as that is a notorious high-death
> food.

But that slaughtered steer in that article was feed with grain. Grain
produced on farms that had to be cleared, that according to Rick and
you contribute to many more deaths. Grass-fed steer is another story
entirely. Currently there is little regulation what is considered
grass-fed. Just because a cattle is grass fed, does not mean that
that steer does not have greater implacts on the environment than say
veggies. Farm animals produce more waste than humans. The waste then
runs off into rivers, lakes and pollutes the
water supply. Not to mention the amount of methane that is produced
each year from cattle.

Case is point:

http://www.foodrevolution.org/grassfedbeef.htm

And there are other environmental costs. Next to carbon dioxide, the
most destabilizing gas to the planet's climate is methane. Methane is
actually 24 times more potent a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide,
and its concentration in the atmosphere is rising even faster. The
primary reason that concentrations of atmospheric methane are now
triple what they were when they began rising a century ago is beef
production. Cattle raised on pasture actually produce more methane
than feedlot animals, on a per-cow basis.

See I don't look at eating vegetables save ONE life. I see the
greater impact that the raising of animals for food has on the
environment. From pollution to the waste of resources in feeding said
animals.
rick etter

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
om...
> > As the slaughter of those steers appears
> > to be highly custom, you would be able to ensure that
> > the meat you obtained came from *your* steer, which
> > would enable you to know exactly how many deaths you
> > caused: ONE.
> >
> > Now, you could substitute some single-death beef for
> > some of the multi-death things you eat. I suggest you
> > begin with the rice, as that is a notorious high-death
> > food.

> But that slaughtered steer in that article was feed with grain.

==================
One article does not an industry make. Why are you so opposed to actually
lessening your impact on animals and the environment? Just so you can
continue to spew your delusions and hate?

Grain
> produced on farms that had to be cleared, that according to Rick and
> you contribute to many more deaths. Grass-fed steer is another story
> entirely. Currently there is little regulation what is considered
> grass-fed.

========================
LOL What is it with 'regulations'? Find a farmer near you that just raises
cows for his comsumption and for those of a few others. They need no
massive amounts of regulation to tell them that cows eat grass!

Just because a cattle is grass fed, does not mean that
> that steer does not have greater implacts on the environment than say
> veggies.

====================
Now your reaching. name some of those impacts.

Farm animals produce more waste than humans.
====================
LOL Waste that keeps the fields and pastures growing without massive
chemical inputs like your crop use!

The waste then
> runs off into rivers, lakes and pollutes the
> water supply. Not to mention the amount of methane that is produced
> each year from cattle.

==========================
LOL Keep trying, you won't get there this way. You have too much hate to
really want to know how to reduce your impact on animals and the
environment.

Is that even really a concern of yours? It doesn't appear to be from here.

> snippage of typical crappola..

Besides, if you were truly concerned about methane, you'd call for a
complete ban on rice. It's right there with cattle emmisions. Oh, you
didn't know that, did you? You can only spew the propaganda that is fed to
you, and you have no understanding on how to really think for yourself, do
you?
How about all your contributions to land fills? That's the biggest source
of methane, yet you happily throw away all that stuff that makes your life
convenient.
There are then better, and more envirnmentally sound ways to reduce methane
emissions. Plus, the epa estimates that it would take only about a 10%
decrease in current levels to reduce the concentrations problems.

rick etter

"Nick P" > wrote in message
om...
> I have no idea why this discussion continues, and the longer it does
> with people trying to defend being vegan/vegetarian, the more people
> like Jonathan and Rick feed on it.
>
> I've no problem admiting that I'm a flaky vegetarian (meaning I still
> consume egg and milk products) but I do it for a few reasons - First,
> I'm healthier now than when I was eating meat, and two because in
> comparison to what I was eating, I'm doing less damage now both to
> myself and the environment.

========================
Umm, just the point we are making. You cannot provide the proof that you
are causing less damage. All you can say is that now you don't see animals
on your plate. They are still dead and dying all the time, only now they
are just left to rot.

> As far as I can figure, I'm eating about the same food that I did when
> I ate "animal products", minus the meat and leather products which I
> just don't buy.

======================
So? Why is the use of synthetics that rely on a global petro-chemical
industry such a good thing?

> I eat the same amount of salad, and whatnot - I just eat a bit more
> pasta now, usually vegetable based and organically grown, whenever I
> can.

====================
Yes, you eat more mass produced food stuffs. Organic does not mean
cruelty-free. It's still a machine intensive system, and still using
pesticides that are deadly to animals.

> But all in all - The biggest thing here is that you guys are trolling.
> You are doing no better than the vegan "Killers" - you are treating
> these people people as though they were "beneath" you, and how is that
> any better than what you are chastising them/us for?

======================
No, we're not. We're here to educate the ignorant. Do you really agree
with some of the fabtastic things Jennie has said?
Vegans make claims to care about animals, yet all they do is follow a simple
rule for simple minds, 'eat no meat.' But categorically and automatically
eliminating any choice that can be shown to increase the chances of them
acheiving their supposed goal just tells me that that really isn't their
goal afterall. It's appears more to be all about their hatred of others and
ultimatly themselves. They love to be marginalized people. they crave it,
they adore it, and then they can claim that everyone doesn't understand.

> Maybe if you actually dealt with people in a civil manner, it might
> get you somewhere - but until then, you're just trolls, and nothing
> more, sorry.

=====================
I can be. But it's the vegans that tend to tell me they wish me dead, that
I get cancer, yadda, yadda. The compassion of vegans is well known.

> Nick
>
> Jonathan Ball > wrote in message

link.net>...

> > > I have never critized meat eaters. I think you are free to eat what
> > > you please. My husband eats meat. I don't sit at the dinner table and
> > > make him feel bad for eating meat. Don't pretend that you know me.
> > > All vegans/vegetarians have different reasons for becoming so. But
> > > you and Mr. Rick come on a vegan web board and critize the way we
> > > live. You call us killers, stupid, morons. Don't you have a life?
> > > You are the ones critizing me, not the other way around.

> > I am not criticizing you for what you eat. I am
> > criticizing the shoddy reasoning you employ in deciding
> > *why* you are going to eat one thing and not another.
> > You clearly are a vegetarian for some vague, mushy
> > mixture of ethical and environmental reasons, but you
> > can't coherently defend the reasoning. It is very
> > clear that you are following a dietary rule - "don't
> > consume animal parts" - rather than adhering to genuine
> > ethical principles. If can't or won't see the
> > difference, I doubt I can explain it to you; there is,
> > whether or not you can see it, a vast difference.

Jonathan Ball

Jennifer wrote:

>>As the slaughter of those steers appears
>>to be highly custom, you would be able to ensure that
>>the meat you obtained came from *your* steer, which
>>would enable you to know exactly how many deaths you
>>caused: ONE.
>>
>>Now, you could substitute some single-death beef for
>>some of the multi-death things you eat. I suggest you
>>begin with the rice, as that is a notorious high-death
>>food.

> But that slaughtered steer in that article was feed with grain.

It's not helpful when you snip out something that
directly shows that your comment indicates bad reading
comprehension. Here's what I wrote that you SNIPPED
OUT without noting it, along with some extra emphasis
this time:

Or suppose you were to do something like the NY
Times reporter did? Recall that he bought one steer
and paid the costs associated with raising it. I
imagine you could do pretty much the same thing,
***except with one that is raised by one of the
grass-fed-only ranchers.***

Thus, your comment - "But that slaughtered steer in
that article was feed with grain." - is NONSENSICAL, as
I already stipulated that you would buy a steer and
"park" it with a rancher raising grass-fed-only cattle

So now, we'll just snip out the IRRELEVANT rant about
grain.

> Grass-fed steer is another story
> entirely. Currently there is little regulation what is considered
> grass-fed.

There are web sites for companies that clearly
distinguish between their 100% grass-fed-ONLY beef, and
beef that is lightly "finished" on some grain.

> Just because a cattle is grass fed, does not mean that
> that steer does not have greater implacts on the environment than say
> veggies. Farm animals produce more waste than humans. The waste then
> runs off into rivers, lakes and pollutes the
> water supply. Not to mention the amount of methane that is produced
> each year from cattle.

But your objection to meat is that the animals are
killed. Introducing a lot of hysteria about other
environmental effects of livestock ranching is
disingenuous and irrelevant.

[snip sleazy environmental scare-mongering]

Look: you are not making *any* changes in lots of
other aspects of your life in which you cause
pollution. To be grasping around desperately for yet
another peg on which to hang your rapidly unraveling
"animal rights" garments isn't going to work.

Jonathan Ball

Jennifer wrote:

>>Suppose the meat you added came from deer or elk that
>>you shot yourself?

> That is completely out of the question, because I don't like to shoot
> guns.

You don't need to do it personally. Anyway, it is
becoming increasingly apparent that there is a HUGE
amount of aesthetics in your opposition to meat, rather
than ethics.

> But I don't see anything wrong with a hunter killing a deer, so
> long as it is for food and not just for the sport. The unfortunate
> thing about urban growth is that we have be taking over land that had
> once belong to deer.

There are tens of millions of wild deer in the U.S.;
they are practically vermin in some places. There also
are large venison ranching operations in New Zealand.
If you want venison, it can easily be had.

> Now they run through are cities. This proposes
> a great danger to them. I traveled up north for Christmas and was
> appalled to see the number of deer hit by cars on the side of the
> road. So I don't see anything wrong with controlled deer hunts. I
> myself could never do it.
>

>>>Not to mention they amount of water needed to raise farm animals.

>>Animals drinking water does not in and of itself cause
>>other animals to die.

> But is does when the water is used to produce grain and corn to feed
> animals.

We're talking about grass-fed-only beef, so the water
used to grow grain is irrelevant.

Second of all, Rick has already pointed out to you that
almost NO water is used to grow the grains fed to
livestock, so that shitty excuse can just be dismissed.

Jonathan Ball

Jennifer wrote:

>>I am not criticizing you for what you eat. I am
>>criticizing the shoddy reasoning you employ in deciding
>>*why* you are going to eat one thing and not another.
>>You clearly are a vegetarian for some vague, mushy
>>mixture of ethical and environmental reasons, but you
>>can't coherently defend the reasoning. It is very
>>clear that you are following a dietary rule - "don't
>>consume animal parts" - rather than adhering to genuine
>>ethical principles. If can't or won't see the
>>difference, I doubt I can explain it to you; there is,
>>whether or not you can see it, a vast difference.

> What if any would be a "genuine ethical principle" that you would deem
> worthy of a vegetarian diet? Culture? Religion?

Culture and religion are not principles.

Do you seriously not understand what moral principles are?

> Besides these two
> choices, most people choose to become vegetarian for numerous reasons.
> Most I suspect to you seem like cushy enviromental reasons.

No, most vegetarians choose it for health reasons.
Only a tiny minority are vegetarian for so-called
ethical considerations.

Jennifer

> > But that slaughtered steer in that article was feed with grain.
> ==================
> One article does not an industry make. Why are you so opposed to actually
> lessening your impact on animals and the environment? Just so you can
> continue to spew your delusions and hate?

Actually if your read the article is states that this is the industry
norm.

> Now your reaching. name some of those impacts.
>
> Farm animals produce more waste than humans.
> ====================
> LOL Waste that keeps the fields and pastures growing without massive
> chemical inputs like your crop use!

If that were true, then why would the epa have to come out with strict
regulations on the wastes produce from CAFO's?

http://cfpub.epa.gov/npdes/afo/cafofinalrule.cfm

> How about all your contributions to land fills? That's the biggest source
> of methane, yet you happily throw away all that stuff that makes your life
> convenient.
> There are then better, and more envirnmentally sound ways to reduce methane
> emissions. Plus, the epa estimates that it would take only about a 10%
> decrease in current levels to reduce the concentrations problems.

How do you know that I don't. I do for your fact use my city provided
recycling service, and buy many of my goods from the local natural
grocery store. Again you jumped to too many assumption. And you know
what they say about assumptions don't you?
ipse dixit

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:00:07 -0500, "rick etter" > wrote:

>"ipse dixit" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On 11 Jan 2004 18:30:57 -0800, (Jennifer) wrote:
>> >
>> >My beef (every pun intended) with the cattle ranchers is not solely
>> >what they are feed. Just because cattle can be grass-fed, does not
>> >mean that were not treated un-humanely.
>> >

>> In fact, it doesn't even mean that the beef was
>> actually grass fed.
>>
>> [Some meat producers use "grass-fed" to describe
>> animals that are raised in pens on industrial feed,

>==========================
>LOL I've already told you where my beef is raised. Come on down and see
>for yourself. You can even pet them and pluck a handfull of grass for them
>and feed it to them yourself.

And the farmer there will no doubt lie to me by
pretending his beef cattle are grass fed all year
round.

[...]

Jennifer

> Look: you are not making *any* changes in lots of
> other aspects of your life in which you cause
> pollution. To be grasping around desperately for yet
> another peg on which to hang your rapidly unraveling
> "animal rights" garments isn't going to work.

Once again... how do you know what I do in my life? Stop making
assumptions. This is your greatest mistake.
Jennifer

> > What if any would be a "genuine ethical principle" that you would deem
> > worthy of a vegetarian diet? Culture? Religion? Besides these two
> > choices, most people choose to become vegetarian for numerous reasons.
> > Most I suspect to you seem like cushy enviromental reasons.

> ==================
> No, many here are couching their diet on animal rights issues. Afterall,
> this is a vegan newsgroup, and the premise behind veganism is *not* a diet,
> but a lifestyle that supposedly reduces the exploitation and harm of
> animals. It is an 'ethics' based religion. Complete with a belief in
> faith. faith that just by not eating animals you do not kill them, or you
> kill fewer, or you cause less to suffer... blah, blah, blah...

You still never answered my question. In your mind is their a geniune
reason for becoming a vegetarian?
Jennifer

> You still are missing it, aren't you killer?
> I'm talking about grass fed beef and game. No grains are grown for them.
> What part of *NO* do you now not understand?
> I was surprised that you had problems with three letter words, but truly
> amazed that you don't understand 2 letter words. Is english not your first
> language?

And what your are not seeing is that there are still enviromental
impacts in grass-fed beef. From the waste they produce, to the
methane they produce.
Jennifer

> You don't even know anymore what you said that I replied to, do you?
> You claimed that cows are kept in warehouses their whole lives. You claimed
> that they are fed only grain. You never mentioned grass fed except that
> that is how cows cows "should" be fed, and if they ever were be again we
> wouldn't have any problems.
> I suggest you start taking notes on what you write from now on, what with
> your obviously limited vocabulary, and comprehension problems, it looks like
> your memory is shot too.
>

> Here's part of your ignorance for you to review....

> the
> animals that are used for our food never see the light of day. There
> are kept in cages most of their lives. There are some smaller cattle
> farms that do allow cows to roam free. But these are not the farms
> that produce the majority of our meats. That is a fact. That is not
> some PETA brainwashing.

I was also refering to the number of chickens and hogs that are raised
for meat. Most chickens and hogs are kept in warehouses. You see the
issue of animals rights is not limited to grass-fed vs. grain-fed
beef. But this is your only argument. Eat more grass-fed beef. And
what of the chickens and hogs?
Jennifer

> I can be. But it's the vegans that tend to tell me they wish me dead, that
> I get cancer, yadda, yadda. The compassion of vegans is well known.

Don't be to quick to jump to character assumptions. Just because a
persons chooses to give up animals products, that does not mean they
are automatically a card carrying PETA person. That is like saying
every African American is a member of the Black Panthers, or every
white person is a member of the KKK. You know this is not so. But
you lump us all into one little category and call us haters. I guess
it is easier to hate something you don't understand, than to take the
time out to get to know the person. You are the one filled with hate.
You come here and call me/us names. Stupid, Killers, Morons. When
have I ever insulted you? But you continously have insulted me by
calling me names. I suggest you take a look at your own life, and
look at why you have so much contempt and hatred.

Have you ever gotten into a one on one debate with a vegan? I mean
real life. Not hiding behind a computer like the passive aggressive
person I suspect you are. Have you ever gotten into an intellectual
debate with a vegetarian where you did not insult them by calling them
names? What is lacking in your life that you need to insult people
just because they don't agree with you. Do you need a hug?

usual suspect

Jennifer wrote:
>>You still are missing it, aren't you killer?
>>I'm talking about grass fed beef and game. No grains are grown for them.
>>What part of *NO* do you now not understand?
>>I was surprised that you had problems with three letter words, but truly
>>amazed that you don't understand 2 letter words. Is english not your first
>>language?

> And what your are not seeing is that there are still enviromental
> impacts in grass-fed beef.

Not to the extent of intensive finishing operations. You're judging
apples and oranges without understanding the differences between two
distinct forms of livestock production. Grass-fed beef must be managed
in a manner consistent with other organic practices, especially crop
rotation. If a rancher allows one part of the range to be overgrazed, it
will affect his bottom line more seriously than it would for someone who
finishes his cattle on grain.

> From the waste they produce, to the
> methane they produce.

Do you defecate? Do you fart? What is your environmental impact, Jen?

usual suspect

Jennifer wrote:
>>Second of all, Rick has already pointed out to you that
>>almost NO water is used to grow the grains fed to
>>livestock, so that shitty excuse can just be dismissed.

> Figures don't lie:

No, but liars figure.

> http://www.foodrevolution.org/eatingforpeace.htm
>
> More than half of all the water consumed in the US whole purpose is to
> raise animals for food. It takes 2500 gallons of water to produce a
> pound of meat,

That's not for meat, that's for grain used to finish grain-fed beef.
Grass-fed beef does *not* take so much water since no grains are fed to
the cattle. How many pounds of wheat does it take to finish a grass-fed
steer? None! All that water to finish grain-fed beef comes from the
wheat (and soy and corn and other stuff).

> but only 25 gallons to produce a pound of wheat. A
> totally vegetarian diet requires 300 gallons of water per day, while a
> meat-eating diet requires more than 4000 gallons of water per day.

I disagree with the extrapolations used by Robbins. Even if we accept
that (and I don't), that's for *grain*-fed livestock, not grazed.
Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, not to each other. This
is very disingenuous of you, but it could just be from malnutrition.
What's your iron count, vegan?

usual suspect

Stupid Jennifer wrote:
> But that slaughtered steer in that article was feed with grain. Grain
> produced on farms that had to be cleared, that according to Rick and
> you contribute to many more deaths. Grass-fed steer is another story
> entirely. Currently there is little regulation what is considered
> grass-fed.

Regulations are unnecessary. Was the steer fed on grass exclusively?
It's grass-fed. Was it finished with grains? Then it's grain-fed. I can
understand how such complexity must overwhelm you: you are malnourished,
vegan.

> Just because a cattle is grass fed, does not mean that
> that steer does not have greater implacts on the environment than say
> veggies.

Maybe you should re-read the entire article from Robbins' website again.

In addition to consuming less energy, grass-fed beef has another
environmental advantage - it is far less polluting. The animals'
wastes drop onto the land, becoming nutrients for the next cycle
of crops. In feedlots and other forms of factory farming,
however, the animals' wastes build up in enormous quantities,
becoming a staggering source of water and air pollution.

What the hell do you think is used to nourish the soil in which your
veggies and grains are grown? Manure, that's what.

> Farm animals produce more waste than humans. The waste then
> runs off into rivers, lakes and pollutes the
> water supply.

Can you document your claim as it relates to non-intensive grazed
ruminant production?

> Not to mention the amount of methane that is produced
> each year from cattle.

Stop eating rice:
http://www.ghgonline.org/methanerice.htm

Stop putting out your trash:
http://www.ghgonline.org/methanelandfill.htm

Stop farting. Your own farts contribute to the rise in methane levels.

> Case is point:
>
> http://www.foodrevolution.org/grassfedbeef.htm
>
> And there are other environmental costs. Next to carbon dioxide, the
> most destabilizing gas to the planet's climate is methane. Methane is
> actually 24 times more potent a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide,
> and its concentration in the atmosphere is rising even faster. The
> primary reason that concentrations of atmospheric methane are now
> triple what they were when they began rising a century ago is beef
> production. Cattle raised on pasture actually produce more methane
> than feedlot animals, on a per-cow basis.

According to whom? Your OWN source says:

Comparing grass-fed beef to feedlot beef is a little like
[comparing a hamburger to a can of cola]. It's far healthier,
more humane, and more environmentally sustainable. It's indeed
better. If you are going to eat meat, dairy products or eggs,
then that's the best way to do it.

> See I don't look at eating vegetables save ONE life.

Good, because a grain-based diet is far more harmful to far more animals
than slaughtering or hunting grass-fed ruminants.

> I see the
> greater impact that the raising of animals for food has on the
> environment.

You would since you compare apples to oranges. Funny that your own
biased source refutes you on point after point.

> From pollution to the waste of resources in feeding said
> animals.

Do you eat GRASS, vegan? What's wrong with eating something that eats
something you can't and you won't?

usual suspect

Dummy Jennifer wrote:
>>When you finally figure out that you *could* cause less death and suffering
>>by replacing many of your calories with some meats, then maybe you won't be
>>the stupid killing moron you are now. :-)

> And does would adding more meat in my diet equate to less deaths?

Certain kinds, yes. Do you count the deaths of animals used to produce
your grains, beans, and veggies? How about to transport and store them?

You may not eat mice or rats, but they're killed as a matter of course
in producing the foods you eat. If they're not thrashed by combines or
run over by tractors, they're poisoned in the field, in the granary, in
the warehouse, and in the store. Public health laws in most
jurisdictions mandate various pest control measures.

Other animals are killed or poisoned or injured to produce your veg-n
food. Tractors run over various animals and birds. "Organic" doesn't
mean "pesticide-free," it means free of synthetic pesticides and
herbicides. Organic chemicals can be far more lethal than the
synthetics. Small animals, birds, and fish die or sicken because of
these chemicals. Ground water is affected by them just as much as by
synthetic chemicals. Where's your complaint about that, vegan?

> Since the majority of grain and corn produced in this country goes to
> feed farm animals. Wouldn't that increase the amounts of deaths? The
> more animals that are needed for human consumption, there is a greater
> need for feed, and farm land to raise said feed.

Grazed ruminants require no grains. Your arguments are baseless.

> Not to mention they amount of water needed to raise farm animals.

The water used in your (Robbins') wild-assed conjecture comes from how
much water it takes to produce the grain it takes to produce a pound of
meat. Grazed animals don't require 2500 gallons of water to gain a pound
of flesh.

> Fresh water is a very important resource that we are slowly running
> out of.

Never, EVER end a sentence with a preposition, especially at the end of
an unsupported and unsupportable sentence.

> It would greatly help the environment if we stopped raised
> animals for food.

Ipse dixit. You know even less about agriculture and livestock
production than you do about English grammar.

Nick P

"rick etter" > wrote in message >...
> "Nick P" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I have no idea why this discussion continues, and the longer it does
> > with people trying to defend being vegan/vegetarian, the more people
> > like Jonathan and Rick feed on it.
> >
> > I've no problem admiting that I'm a flaky vegetarian (meaning I still
> > consume egg and milk products) but I do it for a few reasons - First,
> > I'm healthier now than when I was eating meat, and two because in
> > comparison to what I was eating, I'm doing less damage now both to
> > myself and the environment.

> ========================
> Umm, just the point we are making. You cannot provide the proof that you
> are causing less damage. All you can say is that now you don't see animals
> on your plate. They are still dead and dying all the time, only now they
> are just left to rot.

In my mind and, I believe, in the mind of many other
vegetarians/vegans, by not consuming animal products, we are lessening
the acceptance to the industry. It's the same reason why I do not
support large chains by not shopping at them when I can at all help
it.

I could be doing more, as could most all of us, but at least we're
trying to do something.

There needs to be a wider understanding about what damage is caused by
consuming what we consume, whether it be animal products or vegetarian
products.

> > As far as I can figure, I'm eating about the same food that I did when
> > I ate "animal products", minus the meat and leather products which I
> > just don't buy.

> ======================
> So? Why is the use of synthetics that rely on a global petro-chemical
> industry such a good thing?

True enough - and point well taken. What I do buy, in replacement of
animal products, I try to make as "healthy" a choice as possible.
That means buying items made of hemp, and other environmentally
non-caustic materials. Hemp, as you probably know, requires no
pesticides and is virtually indestructable. I still end up buying
more synthetics than I would like, but I'm trying and that's the
important thing.

> > I eat the same amount of salad, and whatnot - I just eat a bit more
> > pasta now, usually vegetable based and organically grown, whenever I
> > can.

> ====================
> Yes, you eat more mass produced food stuffs. Organic does not mean
> cruelty-free. It's still a machine intensive system, and still using
> pesticides that are deadly to animals.

When I say organics, for the most part I talk about home or small-farm
grown products. For example, the eggs I eat are free-range eggs from
a neighborhood farm where the chickens consume only vegetable feed,
also grown from the farm. As far as vegetables go, it's an area that
we all need to do more "research" on, but again the point is that I'm
making an attempt.

> > But all in all - The biggest thing here is that you guys are trolling.
> > You are doing no better than the vegan "Killers" - you are treating
> > these people people as though they were "beneath" you, and how is that
> > any better than what you are chastising them/us for?

> ======================
> No, we're not. We're here to educate the ignorant. Do you really agree
> with some of the fabtastic things Jennie has said?
> Vegans make claims to care about animals, yet all they do is follow a simple
> rule for simple minds, 'eat no meat.' But categorically and automatically
> eliminating any choice that can be shown to increase the chances of them
> acheiving their supposed goal just tells me that that really isn't their
> goal afterall. It's appears more to be all about their hatred of others and
> ultimatly themselves. They love to be marginalized people. they crave it,
> they adore it, and then they can claim that everyone doesn't understand.

This, unfortunately, is true. I've met far too many brainless
"cruelty-free" vegans, and I think people, upon choosing the lifestyle
for the improvement of animals need to look into, and think about,
what is is they are doing and why. Do some research on both sides of
the story, don't just allow being spoon-fed PETA crap. Generally it's
just as bad, often worse, than the pro-meat ranters.

> > Maybe if you actually dealt with people in a civil manner, it might
> > get you somewhere - but until then, you're just trolls, and nothing
> > more, sorry.

> =====================
> I can be. But it's the vegans that tend to tell me they wish me dead, that
> I get cancer, yadda, yadda. The compassion of vegans is well known.

It's a viscious cycle, it seems. Vegans/Vegetarians are no "better"
than those who are not. We may be healthier, but in no way should we
tout our "moral superiority". That's not the solution, nor is it
going to help the cause. But among these types of "groups", there are
many blind followers... kinda reminds me of this thing called
"Religion"

Thanks for the discussion, Rick.

Nick

> > Nick
> >
> > Jonathan Ball > wrote in message

> link.net>...

> > > I am not criticizing you for what you eat. I am
> > > criticizing the shoddy reasoning you employ in deciding
> > > *why* you are going to eat one thing and not another.
> > > You clearly are a vegetarian for some vague, mushy
> > > mixture of ethical and environmental reasons, but you
> > > can't coherently defend the reasoning. It is very
> > > clear that you are following a dietary rule - "don't
> > > consume animal parts" - rather than adhering to genuine
> > > ethical principles. If can't or won't see the
> > > difference, I doubt I can explain it to you; there is,
> > > whether or not you can see it, a vast difference.

OT;; Death of transvestite Abo custody death = australias shame George W Frost General Cooking 0 23-07-2010 11:26 PM
Life after death RichD Wine 2 15-06-2008 10:54 PM
Death Clock predicts your death day! Paul M. Cook General Cooking 0 12-03-2006 10:53 PM
Death means life; "vegan" means stupid; "Gary Beckwith" means Jonathan Ball Vegan 0 06-07-2004 12:00 AM
Meat eaters contribute to life and death tortrix Vegan 4 19-10-2003 08:01 PM