t.racer

Default malt extract

Can anyone tell me where to purchase or order malt extract? It's an
ingredient in a recipe like this for example:

Vegan Lemon Sponge Cake
2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup demerara sugar
3/4 cup vegetable margarine
1/2 cup hot water
2 tablespoons malt extract
2 lemons
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6

Use two 23cm/9 inch sandwich tins.

Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl, add the sugar and mix
well by lifting and sprinkling, using a spoon. Put the margarine to
melt in a small saucepan over a low heat. Remove from heat as soon as
it's melted.

Put the hot water in a jug together with the malt extract and set
aside. Finely grate the lemon rinds, add to the dry ingredients and
mix in by lifting and sprinkling as before. Squeeze the lemons, add
the juice to the water and malt mixture and stir until the malt has
completely dissolved.

Preheat the oven and prepare the sponge tins by lightly greasing and
flouring them. As quickly as you can, add the melted margarine to the
dry ingredients and stir well in, followed immediately by the water,
malt and lemon juice mixture. Beat well for a few moments only before
transferring equal amounts to each of the two prepared sponge tins and
placing them in the preheated oven. Bake till the top goes firm and
golden brown (about 20-25 minutes), or test with a warm knife. Allow
to cool before removing from the tins.

http://www.inetworld.net/thrill/
Rubystars

"t.racer" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me where to purchase or order malt extract? It's an
> ingredient in a recipe like this for example:

<snip>

I found this page by searching for "malt extract" on google.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/extract.asp

-Rubystars

Dave

"t.racer" > wrote in message
| Can anyone tell me where to purchase or order malt extract? It's an
| ingredient in a recipe like this for example:

Any homebrew supply store. It's used to make beer (if you don't want to go
all the way from grain - malt extract is a shortcut). There are many
different types/flavors/etc. Here's a place to start looking:
http://www.thegrape.net

gd

Malt extract should be available in most supermarkets (it is in
Australia). In this form its usually a thick syrupy liquid.
If you can't get it the supermarket, you will certainly be able to buy
it as a liquid or dried powder at any local home brewery shop.

Graeme

Malt Extract Bob S General Cooking 1 10-02-2007 06:00 AM
Malt Extract Bob S Historic 0 10-02-2007 12:59 AM
Malt Extract Bob S Beer 0 10-02-2007 12:56 AM
Malt Extract Bob S Baking 0 10-02-2007 12:55 AM
ingredient Q: barley malt vs. malt extract t.racer Vegan 1 18-06-2006 10:10 PM