Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default ingredient Q: barley malt vs. malt extract

Okay, a long time ago someone sent me this English vegan cook book. It
has a recipe for lemon sponge cake which calls for "malt extract." I
never made the cake because I really didn't know where to find this
ingredient (I searched online and only found it mentioned on beer
making web pages.) Then today at Henry's I saw a jar of Barley Malt:
Traditional Malt Syrup on sale for .99 ("save $5.") So I bought it.
The Q is; is this the "malt extract" I'm supposed to use or something
completely different?
Posted to alt.food.vegan

Thank you me! Nobody could answer the Q. I finally found that
someone answered my Q in the great world wide web:

malt syrup

A natural sweetener made from a filtered, evaporated mash of ground
corn and sprouted BARLEY. Found in health-food stores, malt syrup has
an earthy, full-bodied flavor and is 75 to 80 percent as sweet as
honey. Plain malt syrup is sweeter than the hop-flavored style, which
has a bitter edge. Malt syrup may be substituted for other syrupy
sweeteners. It's also referred to as malt extract.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Malt Extract Bob S General Cooking 1 10-02-2007 06:00 AM
Malt Extract Bob S Historic 0 10-02-2007 12:59 AM
Malt Extract Bob S Beer 0 10-02-2007 12:56 AM
Malt Extract Bob S Baking 0 10-02-2007 12:55 AM
malt extract t.racer Vegan 3 24-12-2003 12:41 AM