Steve

Default beans

Rubystars wrote:
> Are navy beans and great northern beans the same thing, or are they two
> different types of beans?
>
> I'm trying to put together a vegetarian "white chili" recipe from scratch
> and if they're different I'll use both of those kinds of beans in it, but if
> they're the same then it won't matter.
>
> -Rubystars

One is larger then the other and has another name. For anything that
matters they are basically the same.....taste, nutrition ( higher
calcium then other beans ).

Steve

--
2 Bush Administrations
2 Recessions

Rubystars

"Steve"
<ADDRESS_MUNGED_TO_PREVENT_SPAM_PLEASE_REPLY_TO_GR
> wrote in message ...
> Rubystars wrote:
> > Are navy beans and great northern beans the same thing, or are they two
> > different types of beans?
> >
> > I'm trying to put together a vegetarian "white chili" recipe from

scratch
> > and if they're different I'll use both of those kinds of beans in it,

but if
> > they're the same then it won't matter.
> >
> > -Rubystars
> >

> One is larger then the other and has another name. For anything that
> matters they are basically the same.....taste, nutrition ( higher
> calcium then other beans ).
>
> Steve

Thanks. I've eaten both kinds and they seemed to be almost identical in
every respect except for the name. Now I know that there's also a difference
in size.Thanks.

-Rubystars

Jonathan Ball

Default beans (and lentils)

Rubystars wrote:

> "Steve"
> <ADDRESS_MUNGED_TO_PREVENT_SPAM_PLEASE_REPLY_TO_GR
>
>>wrote in message ...
>>Rubystars wrote:
>>
>>>Are navy beans and great northern beans the same thing, or are they two
>>>different types of beans?
>>>
>>>I'm trying to put together a vegetarian "white chili" recipe from

> scratch
>
>>>and if they're different I'll use both of those kinds of beans in it,

> but if
>
>>>they're the same then it won't matter.
>>>
>>>-Rubystars
>>>

>>One is larger then the other and has another name. For anything that
>>matters they are basically the same.....taste, nutrition ( higher
>>calcium then other beans ).
>>
>>Steve

> Thanks. I've eaten both kinds and they seemed to be almost identical in
> every respect except for the name. Now I know that there's also a difference
> in size.Thanks.

Here's a page,
http://www.americanbean.org/Informat...eties/Home.htm,
with descriptions and pictures of various common beans.
Note that the navy beans are considerably smaller in
the picture than the great northern.

I always use the smallest white bean I can find for my
baked beans, but I've sometimes only been able to get
great northern. The beans turn out fine; I just like
the smaller bean for that use.

See if you can find a cookbook called the "All American
Bean Book", by F.H. "Ted" Waskey. It has a lot of good
bean recipes for a variety of types of dishes - main
course, salad, side dish, etc. - and it also has a good
introduction about beans in general. I thought it was
out of print, but this site,
http://www.opengroup.com/cabooks/067/0671644033.shtml,
apparently has it for sale.

One of my favorites from the book that isn't a true
bean is called Lentils Creole. It's very easy and
fast, and is very amenable to "doctoring" with whatever
seasonings strike your fancy. The basic recipe is
already quite tasty, though. Someone has posted the
recipe he
http://www.opengroup.com/cabooks/067/0671644033.shtml

I think lentils are seriously underappreciated in
American cooking.

Jonathan Ball

Jonathan Ball wrote:

> Rubystars wrote:
>
>> "Steve"
>> <ADDRESS_MUNGED_TO_PREVENT_SPAM_PLEASE_REPLY_TO_GR
>>

>>> wrote in message ...

>> scratch

>> but if

>>> One is larger then the other and has another name. For anything that
>>> matters they are basically the same.....taste, nutrition ( higher
>>> calcium then other beans ).
>>>
>>> Steve

>> Thanks. I've eaten both kinds and they seemed to be almost identical in
>> every respect except for the name. Now I know that there's also a
>> difference
>> in size.Thanks.

> Here's a page,
> http://www.americanbean.org/Informat...eties/Home.htm, with
> descriptions and pictures of various common beans. Note that the navy
> beans are considerably smaller in the picture than the great northern.
>
> I always use the smallest white bean I can find for my baked beans, but
> I've sometimes only been able to get great northern. The beans turn out
> fine; I just like the smaller bean for that use.
>
> See if you can find a cookbook called the "All American Bean Book", by
> F.H. "Ted" Waskey. It has a lot of good bean recipes for a variety of
> types of dishes - main course, salad, side dish, etc. - and it also has
> a good introduction about beans in general. I thought it was out of
> print, but this site,
> http://www.opengroup.com/cabooks/067/0671644033.shtml, apparently has it
> for sale.
>
> One of my favorites from the book that isn't a true bean is called
> Lentils Creole. It's very easy and fast, and is very amenable to
> "doctoring" with whatever seasonings strike your fancy. The basic
> recipe is already quite tasty, though. Someone has posted the recipe
> he http://www.opengroup.com/cabooks/067/0671644033.shtml

[gulp] Uh...*I* posted it, but I got the link wrong;
it's http://www.vegan-food.net/index.cgi?658.

I don't even remember doing it...bad sign...very bad
sign...

> I think lentils are seriously underappreciated in American cooking.

C. James Strutz

"Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Jonathan Ball wrote:
>
> > Rubystars wrote:
> >
> >> "Steve"

<ADDRESS_MUNGED_TO_PREVENT_SPAM_PLEASE_REPLY_TO_GR

two

> >> scratch

> >> but if

> >> Thanks. I've eaten both kinds and they seemed to be almost identical in
> >> every respect except for the name. Now I know that there's also a
> >> difference
> >> in size.Thanks.

> > Here's a page,
> > http://www.americanbean.org/Informat...eties/Home.htm, with
> > descriptions and pictures of various common beans. Note that the navy
> > beans are considerably smaller in the picture than the great northern.
> >
> > I always use the smallest white bean I can find for my baked beans, but
> > I've sometimes only been able to get great northern. The beans turn out
> > fine; I just like the smaller bean for that use.
> >
> > See if you can find a cookbook called the "All American Bean Book", by
> > F.H. "Ted" Waskey. It has a lot of good bean recipes for a variety of
> > types of dishes - main course, salad, side dish, etc. - and it also has
> > a good introduction about beans in general. I thought it was out of
> > print, but this site,
> > http://www.opengroup.com/cabooks/067/0671644033.shtml, apparently has it
> > for sale.
> >
> > One of my favorites from the book that isn't a true bean is called
> > Lentils Creole. It's very easy and fast, and is very amenable to
> > "doctoring" with whatever seasonings strike your fancy. The basic
> > recipe is already quite tasty, though. Someone has posted the recipe
> > he http://www.opengroup.com/cabooks/067/0671644033.shtml

> [gulp] Uh...*I* posted it, but I got the link wrong;
> it's http://www.vegan-food.net/index.cgi?658.
>
> I don't even remember doing it...bad sign...very bad
> sign...

Don't take it so badly. After all, it was one of your better posts.

> > I think lentils are seriously underappreciated in American cooking.

Rubystars

"Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
<snip>
> I always use the smallest white bean I can find for my
> baked beans, but I've sometimes only been able to get
> great northern. The beans turn out fine; I just like
> the smaller bean for that use.

<snip>

Ok, and thanks for the info on the link and the books.

> I think lentils are seriously underappreciated in
> American cooking.

Lentils are ok but they have a funny taste to me.

My favorite beans are white kidney beans.

-Rubystars

C. James Strutz

"Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Jonathan Ball wrote:
>
> > Rubystars wrote:
> >
> >> "Steve"

<ADDRESS_MUNGED_TO_PREVENT_SPAM_PLEASE_REPLY_TO_GR

two

> >> scratch

> >> but if

> >> Thanks. I've eaten both kinds and they seemed to be almost identical in
> >> every respect except for the name. Now I know that there's also a
> >> difference
> >> in size.Thanks.

> > Here's a page,
> > http://www.americanbean.org/Informat...eties/Home.htm, with
> > descriptions and pictures of various common beans. Note that the navy
> > beans are considerably smaller in the picture than the great northern.
> >
> > I always use the smallest white bean I can find for my baked beans, but
> > I've sometimes only been able to get great northern. The beans turn out
> > fine; I just like the smaller bean for that use.
> >
> > See if you can find a cookbook called the "All American Bean Book", by
> > F.H. "Ted" Waskey. It has a lot of good bean recipes for a variety of
> > types of dishes - main course, salad, side dish, etc. - and it also has
> > a good introduction about beans in general. I thought it was out of
> > print, but this site,
> > http://www.opengroup.com/cabooks/067/0671644033.shtml, apparently has it
> > for sale.
> >
> > One of my favorites from the book that isn't a true bean is called
> > Lentils Creole. It's very easy and fast, and is very amenable to
> > "doctoring" with whatever seasonings strike your fancy. The basic
> > recipe is already quite tasty, though. Someone has posted the recipe
> > he http://www.opengroup.com/cabooks/067/0671644033.shtml

> [gulp] Uh...*I* posted it, but I got the link wrong;
> it's http://www.vegan-food.net/index.cgi?658.
>
> I don't even remember doing it...bad sign...very bad
> sign...
>

> > I think lentils are seriously underappreciated in American cooking.

Oh man, I made this last night and it was awesome. This would be a great
meal served with a green salad, crusty bread, and a good bitter beer. Skip
the garnish of scallions if you're nervous about hepatitis.

Lentils & Rice

Rice
2/3 cup brown rice
1-1/2 cup mushroom broth *

Lentils
1 cup lentils
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 Tbs garlic, chopped
1 habanero pepper, finely chopped
2 tomatos, chopped
2 Tbs dried thyme
2-1/2 cups mushroom broth *
dash of smoke flavor
salt, pepper to taste
chopped scallions for garnish (optional)

* I use a 32 oz carton of Pacific Organic Mushroom Broth

While the rice is steaming, saute the onions and green peppers in a tiny bit
of olive oil until they begin to soften. Add the lentils and the mushroom
broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Add the garlic, habanero,
tomatos and continue to simmer until the lentils are cooked through and most
of the mushroom broth has been absorbed. Season with thyme, smoke, salt and
pepper. Serve over the rice and garnish with chopped scallions.