Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beans beans good for the heart

I had success in the search for nay beans the other day. I was in a
grocery store to pick up a few things and looked for beans. I not only
found them... they were on sale. So I made a batch of baked beans
today. Unlike my very unsuccessful bean venture more than 30 years ago,
they were delicious. This recipe called for a pound of bacon, a
jalapeno pepper and a half tsp. of Cayenne pepper. I didn't have fresh
jalapeno so I used to pickled jalapenos. Given the volume of beans and
liquid, much of which was absorbed by the beans, they were surprisingly
hot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'll have beans and franks Sat using canned light red kidney beans with chili powder added to them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>I had success in the search for nay beans the other day. I was in a
>grocery store to pick up a few things and looked for beans. I not only
>found them... they were on sale. So I made a batch of baked beans today.
>Unlike my very unsuccessful bean venture more than 30 years ago, they were
>delicious. This recipe called for a pound of bacon, a jalapeno pepper and
>a half tsp. of Cayenne pepper. I didn't have fresh jalapeno so I used to
>pickled jalapenos. Given the volume of beans and liquid, much of which was
>absorbed by the beans, they were surprisingly hot.

I am eating mine now. Mighty good! 12 oz. of bacon in mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 17:38:56 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>I had success in the search for nay beans the other day. I was in a
>>grocery store to pick up a few things and looked for beans. I not only
>>found them... they were on sale. So I made a batch of baked beans today.
>>Unlike my very unsuccessful bean venture more than 30 years ago, they were
>>delicious. This recipe called for a pound of bacon, a jalapeno pepper and
>>a half tsp. of Cayenne pepper. I didn't have fresh jalapeno so I used to
>>pickled jalapenos. Given the volume of beans and liquid, much of which was
>>absorbed by the beans, they were surprisingly hot.

>I am eating mine now. Mighty good! 12 oz. of bacon in mine.

Huh... your surgery must've been a HUGE liposuction by Dyson...
naturally a total waste if you are mainlining bacon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 6:45:38 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> I had success in the search for nay beans the other day. I was in a
> grocery store to pick up a few things and looked for beans. I not only
> found them... they were on sale. So I made a batch of baked beans
> today. Unlike my very unsuccessful bean venture more than 30 years ago,
> they were delicious. This recipe called for a pound of bacon, a
> jalapeno pepper and a half tsp. of Cayenne pepper. I didn't have fresh
> jalapeno so I used to pickled jalapenos. Given the volume of beans and
> liquid, much of which was absorbed by the beans, they were surprisingly
> hot.

Red kidney beans do have a lot of bean toxin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Red kidney beans are higher on the ORAC scale than pinto beans are but they also likely have 100x as much bean toxin as pintos.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 1:45:38 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> I had success in the search for nay beans the other day. I was in a
> grocery store to pick up a few things and looked for beans. I not only
> found them... they were on sale. So I made a batch of baked beans
> today. Unlike my very unsuccessful bean venture more than 30 years ago,
> they were delicious. This recipe called for a pound of bacon, a
> jalapeno pepper and a half tsp. of Cayenne pepper. I didn't have fresh
> jalapeno so I used to pickled jalapenos. Given the volume of beans and
> liquid, much of which was absorbed by the beans, they were surprisingly
> hot.

The beans I made in the slow-cooker were pretty good. The main problem was that the bacon turned awful after 12 or so hours of cooking. It turned into a dark fibrous material. The beans however, were fine. I used 2lbs of bacon for one pound of beans.

This morning I put a chuck roast into the slow-cooker and let it run. It was great. The meat was injected with a solution of water, salt, garlic powder, MSG, and shoyu and cooked for 10 hours.

I might cook more beans tomorrow. This time, I won't add the bacon until the beans are almost done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 16:22:48 -0800 (PST), wrote:

> Red kidney beans are higher on the ORAC scale than pinto beans are but they also likely have 100x as much bean toxin as pintos.

So what? You aren't going to eat them raw.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The big danger would be sprouting kidney beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Some of the anti oxidants that ORAC measures aren't anti oxidants in the human body at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 1:45:38 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I had success in the search for nay beans the other day. I was in a
>> grocery store to pick up a few things and looked for beans. I not only
>> found them... they were on sale. So I made a batch of baked beans
>> today. Unlike my very unsuccessful bean venture more than 30 years ago,
>> they were delicious. This recipe called for a pound of bacon, a
>> jalapeno pepper and a half tsp. of Cayenne pepper. I didn't have fresh
>> jalapeno so I used to pickled jalapenos. Given the volume of beans and
>> liquid, much of which was absorbed by the beans, they were surprisingly
>> hot.

> The beans I made in the slow-cooker were pretty good. The main problem was that the bacon turned awful after 12 or so hours of cooking. It turned into a dark fibrous material. The beans however, were fine. I used 2lbs of bacon for one pound of beans.
>
> This morning I put a chuck roast into the slow-cooker and let it run. It was great. The meat was injected with a solution of water, salt, garlic powder, MSG, and shoyu and cooked for 10 hours.
>
> I might cook more beans tomorrow. This time, I won't add the bacon until the beans are almost done.

A pork hick is the way to go, really.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> The big danger would be sprouting kidney beans.

Like big 'ol heart worms, eh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think many people may get too much anti oxidants from foods an supplements. There are good oxidation reactions in the body.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/1/2016 00:13 wrote:

> The big danger would be sprouting kidney beans.

Why?

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 7:35:31 AM UTC-10, cibola de oro wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 1:45:38 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> >> I had success in the search for nay beans the other day. I was in a
> >> grocery store to pick up a few things and looked for beans. I not only
> >> found them... they were on sale. So I made a batch of baked beans
> >> today. Unlike my very unsuccessful bean venture more than 30 years ago,
> >> they were delicious. This recipe called for a pound of bacon, a
> >> jalapeno pepper and a half tsp. of Cayenne pepper. I didn't have fresh
> >> jalapeno so I used to pickled jalapenos. Given the volume of beans and
> >> liquid, much of which was absorbed by the beans, they were surprisingly
> >> hot.

> > The beans I made in the slow-cooker were pretty good. The main problem was that the bacon turned awful after 12 or so hours of cooking. It turned into a dark fibrous material. The beans however, were fine. I used 2lbs of bacon for one pound of beans.
> >
> > This morning I put a chuck roast into the slow-cooker and let it run. It was great. The meat was injected with a solution of water, salt, garlic powder, MSG, and shoyu and cooked for 10 hours.
> >
> > I might cook more beans tomorrow. This time, I won't add the bacon until the beans are almost done.
> >

> A pork hick is the way to go, really.

You're right about that. OTOH, I got 10lbs of bacon ends I have to get rid of. OTOH, what the heck, it's a good idea. I'll pick some up and it'll be great. Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 1:45:38 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I had success in the search for nay beans the other day. I was in a
>> grocery store to pick up a few things and looked for beans. I not only
>> found them... they were on sale. So I made a batch of baked beans
>> today. Unlike my very unsuccessful bean venture more than 30 years ago,
>> they were delicious. This recipe called for a pound of bacon, a
>> jalapeno pepper and a half tsp. of Cayenne pepper. I didn't have fresh
>> jalapeno so I used to pickled jalapenos. Given the volume of beans and
>> liquid, much of which was absorbed by the beans, they were surprisingly
>> hot.

> The beans I made in the slow-cooker were pretty good. The main problem was
> that the bacon turned awful after 12 or so hours of cooking. It turned
> into a dark fibrous material. The beans however, were fine. I used 2lbs of
> bacon for one pound of beans.
>
> This morning I put a chuck roast into the slow-cooker and let it run. It
> was great. The meat was injected with a solution of water, salt, garlic
> powder, MSG, and shoyu and cooked for 10 hours.
>
> I might cook more beans tomorrow. This time, I won't add the bacon until
> the beans are almost done.

I have not had that problem with the bacon and I have cooked them for as
long as 16 hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> The big danger would be sprouting kidney beans.

People who sprout do know this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 23:03:43 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 1:45:38 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I had success in the search for nay beans the other day. I was in a
>> grocery store to pick up a few things and looked for beans. I not only
>> found them... they were on sale. So I made a batch of baked beans
>> today. Unlike my very unsuccessful bean venture more than 30 years ago,
>> they were delicious. This recipe called for a pound of bacon, a
>> jalapeno pepper and a half tsp. of Cayenne pepper. I didn't have fresh
>> jalapeno so I used to pickled jalapenos. Given the volume of beans and
>> liquid, much of which was absorbed by the beans, they were surprisingly
>> hot.

>The beans I made in the slow-cooker were pretty good.
>The main problem was that the bacon turned awful after
>12 or so hours of cooking. It turned into a dark fibrous material.
>The beans however, were fine. I used 2lbs of bacon for one pound of beans.

That proportion would produce a swamp of fat. The bacon is for adding
its disgusting artificial smoke flavor (most commercially packaged
bacon contains artificial smoke flavoring), 2-3 rashers would be
sufficient... more bacon won't make it smokier but will make it a
whole lot saltier, do you have any concept of how much salt is in two
pounds of bacon? One regular thickness slice of bacon contains 82 mg
sodium *after pan frying and drained*... tossed raw into your bean pot
you can triple the sodium.... but even if you pan fry and drain two
pounds of bacon it would add about 5,000 mg of sodium. add it raw and
you're adding about 15,000 mg sodium. Either way you'd be rendering
your puny one pound of dried beans inedible. One of the easiest ways
to add smoke flavor to a pound of dried beans is to add two tube
steaks. But I much prefer a smoked ham hock, adds little salt and
little fat. There are several cottage industry smoke houses around
here that supply the markets... during hunting season they make up
tons of venison sausage, but they smoke all kinds of game, and also
pork. They make excellent products, all naturally smoked with local
hardwoods.

>This morning I put a chuck roast into the slow-cooker and let it run.
>It was great. The meat was injected with a solution of water, salt,
>garlic powder, MSG, and shoyu and cooked for 10 hours.

Huh... why does meat that's slow cooked for ten hours need to be
injected... simply add the seasonings to the pot.

>I might cook more beans tomorrow. This time, I won't add the
>bacon until the beans are almost done.

Better with no bacon... to a pound of beans one smoked ham hock will
be far better... rather than all that salty fat it's gelatinous
goodness will melt into the beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 7:35:31 AM UTC-10, cibola de oro wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> The beans I made in the slow-cooker were pretty good. The main problem was that the bacon turned awful after 12 or so hours of cooking. It turned into a dark fibrous material. The beans however, were fine. I used 2lbs of bacon for one pound of beans.
>>>
>>> This morning I put a chuck roast into the slow-cooker and let it run. It was great. The meat was injected with a solution of water, salt, garlic powder, MSG, and shoyu and cooked for 10 hours.
>>>
>>> I might cook more beans tomorrow. This time, I won't add the bacon until the beans are almost done.
>>>

>> A pork hick is the way to go, really.

> You're right about that.

Lol, make that HOCK!

Fat fingers again...

Too many chicken feet.

> OTOH, I got 10lbs of bacon ends I have to get rid of. OTOH, what the heck, it's a good idea. I'll pick some up and it'll be great. Thanks!

De nada, Sr.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:
> On 17-Jan-2016, cibola de oro > wrote:
>
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> The beans I made in the slow-cooker were pretty good. The main problem
>>> was that the bacon turned awful after 12 or so hours of cooking. It
>>> turned into a dark fibrous material. The beans however, were fine. I
>>> used 2lbs of bacon for one pound of beans.
>>>
>>> This morning I put a chuck roast into the slow-cooker and let it run. It
>>> was great. The meat was injected with a solution of water, salt, garlic
>>> powder, MSG, and shoyu and cooked for 10 hours.
>>>
>>> I might cook more beans tomorrow. This time, I won't add the bacon until
>>> the beans are almost done.
>>>

>> A pork hick is the way to go, really.

> Or, if one likes a bit more meat than a hock can supply, smoked shanks
> provide it along with all the good things a hock does.

Indeed, a fine choice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> The big danger would be sprouting kidney beans.

> People who sprout do know this.

I hate to sprout, it means I forgot to trim my tornails well enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-01-17 2:10 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> That proportion would produce a swamp of fat. The bacon is for adding
> its disgusting artificial smoke flavor (most commercially packaged
> bacon contains artificial smoke flavoring), 2-3 rashers would be
> sufficient... more bacon won't make it smokier but will make it a
> whole lot saltier, do you have any concept of how much salt is in two
> pounds of bacon?

FWIW, the thing that got me interesting in making beans was the sample
of smoked beans I had recently at a BBW joint. That smokey flavour was
what made them so good, but that was real smoking. I used a smoked
bacon, not cheap bacon injected with artificial smoke.

> Better with no bacon... to a pound of beans one smoked ham hock will
> be far better... rather than all that salty fat it's gelatinous
> goodness will melt into the beans.

My results disagree with you. The finished product was excellent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I hope to get 3 cans of Luck's light red kidney beans Tue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
>> Better with no bacon... to a pound of beans one smoked ham hock will
>> be far better... rather than all that salty fat it's gelatinous
>> goodness will melt into the beans.

> My results disagree with you. The finished product was excellent.

Your "results", it may surprise you to know, are not HIS!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 9:10:29 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 23:03:43 -0800 (PST), ds>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 1:45:38 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> >> I had success in the search for nay beans the other day. I was in a
> >> grocery store to pick up a few things and looked for beans. I not only
> >> found them... they were on sale. So I made a batch of baked beans
> >> today. Unlike my very unsuccessful bean venture more than 30 years ago,
> >> they were delicious. This recipe called for a pound of bacon, a
> >> jalapeno pepper and a half tsp. of Cayenne pepper. I didn't have fresh
> >> jalapeno so I used to pickled jalapenos. Given the volume of beans and
> >> liquid, much of which was absorbed by the beans, they were surprisingly
> >> hot.

> >The beans I made in the slow-cooker were pretty good.
> >The main problem was that the bacon turned awful after
> >12 or so hours of cooking. It turned into a dark fibrous material.
> >The beans however, were fine. I used 2lbs of bacon for one pound of beans.

> That proportion would produce a swamp of fat. The bacon is for adding
> its disgusting artificial smoke flavor (most commercially packaged
> bacon contains artificial smoke flavoring), 2-3 rashers would be
> sufficient... more bacon won't make it smokier but will make it a
> whole lot saltier, do you have any concept of how much salt is in two
> pounds of bacon? One regular thickness slice of bacon contains 82 mg
> sodium *after pan frying and drained*... tossed raw into your bean pot
> you can triple the sodium.... but even if you pan fry and drain two
> pounds of bacon it would add about 5,000 mg of sodium. add it raw and
> you're adding about 15,000 mg sodium. Either way you'd be rendering
> your puny one pound of dried beans inedible. One of the easiest ways
> to add smoke flavor to a pound of dried beans is to add two tube
> steaks. But I much prefer a smoked ham hock, adds little salt and
> little fat. There are several cottage industry smoke houses around
> here that supply the markets... during hunting season they make up
> tons of venison sausage, but they smoke all kinds of game, and also
> pork. They make excellent products, all naturally smoked with local
> hardwoods.
>
> >This morning I put a chuck roast into the slow-cooker and let it run.
> >It was great. The meat was injected with a solution of water, salt,
> >garlic powder, MSG, and shoyu and cooked for 10 hours.

> Huh... why does meat that's slow cooked for ten hours need to be
> injected... simply add the seasonings to the pot.
>
> >I might cook more beans tomorrow. This time, I won't add the
> >bacon until the beans are almost done.

> Better with no bacon... to a pound of beans one smoked ham hock will
> be far better... rather than all that salty fat it's gelatinous
> goodness will melt into the beans.

I got ten pounds of bacon so you can bet it's gonna go in, as well as a hick - if I can find one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 8:40:12 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message
> > On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 1:45:38 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> >> I had success in the search for nay beans the other day. I was in a
> >> grocery store to pick up a few things and looked for beans. I not only
> >> found them... they were on sale. So I made a batch of baked beans
> >> today. Unlike my very unsuccessful bean venture more than 30 years ago,
> >> they were delicious. This recipe called for a pound of bacon, a
> >> jalapeno pepper and a half tsp. of Cayenne pepper. I didn't have fresh
> >> jalapeno so I used to pickled jalapenos. Given the volume of beans and
> >> liquid, much of which was absorbed by the beans, they were surprisingly
> >> hot.

> > The beans I made in the slow-cooker were pretty good. The main problem was
> > that the bacon turned awful after 12 or so hours of cooking. It turned
> > into a dark fibrous material. The beans however, were fine. I used 2lbs of
> > bacon for one pound of beans.
> >
> > This morning I put a chuck roast into the slow-cooker and let it run. It
> > was great. The meat was injected with a solution of water, salt, garlic
> > powder, MSG, and shoyu and cooked for 10 hours.
> >
> > I might cook more beans tomorrow. This time, I won't add the bacon until
> > the beans are almost done.

> I have not had that problem with the bacon and I have cooked them for as
> long as 16 hours.

You probably didn't cook it long enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 9:38:15 AM UTC-10, cibola de oro wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> A pork hick is the way to go, really.

> > You're right about that.

> Lol, make that HOCK!

This info will make my shopping a lot easier. I think they got only ham shinks at my Safeway. Full of sminkey goodness they are!

> Fat fingers again...
>
> Too many chicken feet.
>
> > OTOH, I got 10lbs of bacon ends I have to get rid of. OTOH, what the heck, it's a good idea. I'll pick some up and it'll be great. Thanks!

> De nada, Sr.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2016-01-17 2:10 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> That proportion would produce a swamp of fat. The bacon is for adding
>> its disgusting artificial smoke flavor (most commercially packaged
>> bacon contains artificial smoke flavoring), 2-3 rashers would be
>> sufficient... more bacon won't make it smokier but will make it a
>> whole lot saltier, do you have any concept of how much salt is in two
>> pounds of bacon?

> FWIW, the thing that got me interesting in making beans was the sample of
> smoked beans I had recently at a BBW joint. That smokey flavour was what
> made them so good, but that was real smoking. I used a smoked bacon, not
> cheap bacon injected with artificial smoke.
>

>> Better with no bacon... to a pound of beans one smoked ham hock will
>> be far better... rather than all that salty fat it's gelatinous
>> goodness will melt into the beans.

> My results disagree with you. The finished product was excellent.

I don't like fatty foods. I did use a bit of olive oil and margarine for my
onions. I cooked the bacon until super crisp and drained it well. End
result wasn't greasy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 2016-01-17 2:10 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> That proportion would produce a swamp of fat. The bacon is for adding
>>> its disgusting artificial smoke flavor (most commercially packaged
>>> bacon contains artificial smoke flavoring), 2-3 rashers would be
>>> sufficient... more bacon won't make it smokier but will make it a
>>> whole lot saltier, do you have any concept of how much salt is in two
>>> pounds of bacon?

>> FWIW, the thing that got me interesting in making beans was the sample of
>> smoked beans I had recently at a BBW joint. That smokey flavour was what
>> made them so good, but that was real smoking. I used a smoked bacon, not
>> cheap bacon injected with artificial smoke.
>>

>>> Better with no bacon... to a pound of beans one smoked ham hock will
>>> be far better... rather than all that salty fat it's gelatinous
>>> goodness will melt into the beans.

>> My results disagree with you. The finished product was excellent.

I DON'T SEE ANY BEANS SO I DON'T BELIEVE YOU COOKED ANY BEANS.
I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING YOU'VE CLAIMED TO HAVE COOKED SO WHAT AM I TO
BELIEVE. . .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 9:38:15 AM UTC-10, cibola de oro wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> You're right about that.

>> Lol, make that HOCK!

> This info will make my shopping a lot easier. I think they got only ham shinks at my Safeway. Full of sminkey goodness they are!

LOLOLOL!!!!

>> Fat fingers again...
>>
>> Too many chicken feet.
>>
>>> OTOH, I got 10lbs of bacon ends I have to get rid of. OTOH, what the heck, it's a good idea. I'll pick some up and it'll be great. Thanks!

>> De nada, Sr.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like baby limas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-01-17 4:39 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> My results disagree with you. The finished product was excellent.

> I DON'T SEE ANY BEANS SO I DON'T BELIEVE YOU COOKED ANY BEANS.
> I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING YOU'VE CLAIMED TO HAVE COOKED SO WHAT AM I TO
> BELIEVE. . .

What can I say that I have not said before. Those who are quick to call
other people liars are those who lie and assume that others do as well.
Would it really make you feel better to see a pot with baked beans?
Would you really know if they were beans I baked or if I stole the photo
from another site?

What I can also say is that they did not have the typical and expected
gassy results .... the first night I had them. There was an
accumulative effect when I ate them the second day, and it was even
worse on the third day. I took a break from baked beans today. I still
have enough for several more meals. I think the next time I made baked
beans it will be for a pot luck or some other occasion where they will
get eaten up in one sitting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/1/2016 08:24 Julie Bove wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message

>>> Poison. They'll either die or get really sick from eating them.
>>> Mungbeans
>>> can be sprouted. So can chickpeas, peas and lentils. Other beans must
>>> be
>>> brought to a boil and cooked.

>> Would they sprout if you soak them too long?

> For sure they would ferment. I suppose they could accidentally sprout but
> when you sprout something you are doing deliberate things to it, part of
> which might make it safer for you to eat. Like rinsing it will with clean
> water, several times a day, draining and at certain times avoiding light and
> giving light. Large beans would take several days to sprout.
>
> But... Did you ever do the science experiment with the lima bean? I had to
> do it a couple of times in school. Take lima bean seed (granted, one
> intended for planting), put between wet paper towels, observe daily and see
> how long it takes for a sprout to occur. It is several days out.

I've done that with seeds -forgot which- for planting purposes. In a
ziplock bag so the paper towel doesn't dry out. And then you plant the
sprouted seed. It's suppose to increase your chances with harder seeds,
I believe.

So far I've made a black bean dal and refried pinto beans. Both very
nice. I still have to make a Cuban bean dish SF mentioned. And then
there's black or kidney bean burgers and Japanese style soy bean based
breakfast cookies.

--
Bruce