MrFalafel

Default Marinated Mushroom Salad

Marinated Mushroom Salad

225g (8oz) chestnut mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp Marmite
200ml (7floz) extra virgin olive oil

Mix the mushrooms with the garlic, parsley and pepper. In a small
bowl, stir the marmite into the olive oil until it starts to blend,
then pour over the mushrooms, stirring lightly.

Chill the salad for about 2 hours, stirring from time to time
bassboat

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> Marinated Mushroom Salad

Snip,

Hello,
I am new to vegan cooking and I don't know what marmite is. Can you please
enlighten me? TIA.
John

usual suspect

bassboat wrote:
>>Marinated Mushroom Salad

> Snip,
>
> Hello,
> I am new to vegan cooking and I don't know what marmite is. Can you please
> enlighten me? TIA.

Welcome to the group. Marmite is a yeast-extract product made in
England. It has a rich, salty flavor all its own. It's really the same
as Vegemite, though Aussies and Brits fight about which is better.

MEow

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, bassboat of Posted via
Supernews, http://www.supernews.com said:

>Hello,
> I am new to vegan cooking and I don't know what marmite is. Can you please
>enlighten me? TIA.

It's a British yeast extract, but it can also be bought in other
countries. If you find some, possibly in a heath food shop, then buy
the smallest jar possible (if you can't try it elsewhere first), as
it's something you either love or hate. I think it's absolutely
wonderful, but not all people in here would agree.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
MEow

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, MrFalafel of
http://groups.google.com said:

>Marinated Mushroom Salad

Wow! Here I've been thinking about making marinated mushrooms, and was
wondering if I should ask here for a recipe, but then you happened to
post one, before I got around to ask. Thanks! :0)
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Calling a cow a ruminant quadruped is only funny just so many times."
Ben Newsam (2egger)

MrFalafel

MEow > wrote in message >. ..
> While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, bassboat of Posted via
> Supernews, http://www.supernews.com said:
>
> >Hello,
> > I am new to vegan cooking and I don't know what marmite is. Can you please
> >enlighten me? TIA.

> It's a British yeast extract, but it can also be bought in other
> countries. If you find some, possibly in a heath food shop, then buy
> the smallest jar possible (if you can't try it elsewhere first), as
> it's something you either love or hate. I think it's absolutely
> wonderful, but not all people in here would agree.

The most common way people eat Marmite is simply spread thinly on
toast. Some people like this and some people don't. However, used in
cooking, as these recipes demonstrate, the flavour added is absorbed
into the food and people who claim to dislike Marmite will actually
enjoy these recipes.

People in North America can find Marmite in specialty British shops or
online at http://www.britishdelights.com/marmite.htm.
MEow

http://groups.google.com said:

>The most common way people eat Marmite is simply spread thinly on
>toast. Some people like this and some people don't. However, used in
>cooking, as these recipes demonstrate, the flavour added is absorbed
>into the food and people who claim to dislike Marmite will actually
>enjoy these recipes.

I enjoy it spread very thinly on toast, and that is how I mostly eat
it. I've used it when re-hydrating TVP, but am looking forwards to
also trying it in some of the recipes which you've posted.

I've now gotten a bit bored with my usual cooking and get hankerings
for things such as cous-cous salad (which I made a few days ago, and
it was delicious, but not interesting enough to write down a recipe
for), crisp bread, marinated mushrooms, and soup. The latter I can
understand, with winter being very near now, but the other three are
things you'd normally be in the mood for in the summer.

Good thing you post those recipes for inspiration. It's appreciated.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Calling a cow a ruminant quadruped is only funny just so many times."
Ben Newsam (2egger)
MrFalafel

MEow > wrote in message >. ..
> While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, MrFalafel of
> http://groups.google.com said:
>
> >The most common way people eat Marmite is simply spread thinly on
> >toast. Some people like this and some people don't. However, used in
> >cooking, as these recipes demonstrate, the flavour added is absorbed
> >into the food and people who claim to dislike Marmite will actually
> >enjoy these recipes.
> >

> I enjoy it spread very thinly on toast, and that is how I mostly eat
> it. I've used it when re-hydrating TVP, but am looking forwards to
> also trying it in some of the recipes which you've posted.
>
> I've now gotten a bit bored with my usual cooking and get hankerings
> for things such as cous-cous salad (which I made a few days ago, and
> it was delicious, but not interesting enough to write down a recipe
> for), crisp bread, marinated mushrooms, and soup. The latter I can
> understand, with winter being very near now, but the other three are
> things you'd normally be in the mood for in the summer.
>
> Good thing you post those recipes for inspiration. It's appreciated.

Marmite is especially fantastic for re-hydrating TVP chunks. I put a
handful of chunks in a sauce pan, add some marmite, a splash of soy
sauce and a dollop of kethcup and cover with water and simmer for
about 20 minutes and then use normally. Good stuff.

Also, just adding a dash of marmite to stews and soups gives it a
really rich flavour. Not to mention the B12...
MEow

http://groups.google.com said:

>Marmite is especially fantastic for re-hydrating TVP chunks. I put a
>handful of chunks in a sauce pan, add some marmite, a splash of soy
>sauce and a dollop of kethcup and cover with water and simmer for
>about 20 minutes and then use normally. Good stuff.

I'll try that sometime, if I get around to buy some ketchup. I never
use ketchup normally, though, so it might be a bit of a waste.

BTW: do you happen to have a good recipe for potato salad, with some
kind of vinegar/garlic dressing, lying around? If you do, I'd
appreciate you posting it, if it's not too much bother.

>Also, just adding a dash of marmite to stews and soups gives it a
>really rich flavour. Not to mention the B12...

I agree. It's a great source for B12.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Calling a cow a ruminant quadruped is only funny just so many times."
Ben Newsam (2egger)
MrFalafel

MEow > wrote in message >. ..
> While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, MrFalafel of
> http://groups.google.com said:
>
> >Marmite is especially fantastic for re-hydrating TVP chunks. I put a
> >handful of chunks in a sauce pan, add some marmite, a splash of soy
> >sauce and a dollop of kethcup and cover with water and simmer for
> >about 20 minutes and then use normally. Good stuff.

> I'll try that sometime, if I get around to buy some ketchup. I never
> use ketchup normally, though, so it might be a bit of a waste.
>
> BTW: do you happen to have a good recipe for potato salad, with some
> kind of vinegar/garlic dressing, lying around? If you do, I'd
> appreciate you posting it, if it's not too much bother.

This is a huge amount of potato salad but I guess you can halve the
ingredients to make it more managable.

The Ultimate Potato Salad Recipe
From 'Feasts from the Place Below' by Bill Sewell

This is a sauce that is poured over recently boiled potatoes. This
will cover about two kilos worth of potatoes.

Ingredients
140g (5oz) garlic (2 medium sized bulbs)
60g (2oz) ground almonds
1 tsp salt
90ml (3floz) water
1tbsp white wine vinegar
300ml sunflower oil

Method
Pre-heat the oven to 230C (45F/gas mark 8).
Break the garlic bulbs into cloves but do not peel and spread them out
onto a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes until soft when pressed
and smelling toasty. Allow to cool and then peel.

Toast the ground almonds, either in the oven, spreading them out on a
baking sheet and turning over after about 5 minutes when the ones on
the surface are coloured or in a dry pan over a medium heat, stirring
every 30 seconds or so until most are golden coloured. Allow to cool.

Put the peeled baked garlic and the toasted almond in a blender
together with the salt, water and vinegar and whizz until very smooth.
While still whizzing, gradually pour in the sunflower oil. Check the
seasoning and pour over recently boiled potatoes.

MEow

http://groups.google.com said:

>> BTW: do you happen to have a good recipe for potato salad, with some
>> kind of vinegar/garlic dressing, lying around? If you do, I'd
>> appreciate you posting it, if it's not too much bother.
>> >

>This is a huge amount of potato salad but I guess you can halve the
>ingredients to make it more managable.

<snip>
Sounds fine, thanks! I imagine that I can also have some fresh veggies
with the potatoes just before adding the dressing.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Calling a cow a ruminant quadruped is only funny just so many times."
Ben Newsam (2egger)
bassboat

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> bassboat wrote:
> >>Marinated Mushroom Salad

> > Snip

Group,
Thanks for all the replies. They were appreciated. And thanks for the
welcome.
John