Jay

Default Question about using agar

Hey guys,

Just a quick question about using agar to make fruit jellies....

I've used gelatin before in making white wine jelly but I would really like
to be able to use agar (so that I can actually eat it!) but I'm not sure how
much to use since my recipe calls for leaf (gold) gelatin. Does anyone know
how I could convert it? From what I understand, the setting properties of
agar are quite a bit stronger than that of gelatin and I'm a little bit
reluctant to experiment with my good wine.

Any suggestions?

My recipe calls for

375ml of white wine
275 ml simple syrup
12 leaves of gelatin
fruit

Thanks for any help,
Jay

"Unlike you, I have no problem spanking men."
-Angel

Plug

"Jay" > wrote in message
> Hey guys,
>
> Just a quick question about using agar to make fruit jellies....

I've always use a little less liquid than specified as I find veggie jelly
never sets as firmly as gelatine. I also make a point of leaving it in the
fridge until just before serving. Since I find the thought of marrow from
animal bones quite repulsive, this small difference has never bothered me!
You can buy veggie jelly sachets in Holland and Barrett; sadly mine only now
does strawberry but I know other flavours are produced. Perhaps experiment
with veggie jelly without the wine before you take the plunge...
Deb

Sarah Carter

Plug > wrote in message =

> I've always use a little less liquid than specified as I find veggie =

jelly
> never sets as firmly as gelatine. I also make a point of leaving it =

in the
> fridge until just before serving. Since I find the thought of marrow =

from
> animal bones quite repulsive, this small difference has never bothered =

me!
> You can buy veggie jelly sachets in Holland and Barrett; sadly mine =

only now
> does strawberry but I know other flavours are produced. Perhaps =

experiment
> with veggie jelly without the wine before you take the plunge...

I've never tried to make it myself but my mum uses "vegeren" to make =
jelly out of fruit juice. It seems to set properly and has instructions =
on the packet.

Sarah
--=20

T5NF

Jay wrote:
<snip>
>I'm not sure how
>much to use since my recipe calls for leaf (gold) gelatin. Does anyone know
>how I could convert it? From what I understand, the setting properties of
>agar are quite a bit stronger than that of gelatin and I'm a little bit
>reluctant to experiment with my good wine.
>
>Any suggestions?

Hi Jay.... I've never used leaf gelatin before so I'm not sure what the amount
would compare to...basically, one tablespoon of gelatin equals 1 tablespoon of
agar powder or 3 tablespoons of agar flakes so if you're using the powdered
stuff you should be able to substitute 1 to 1.

I generally use 1 tablespoon of agar powder per cup of liquid unless it's
particularly acidic, then I increase the agar powder by 10% or so... one of the
great things about agar is that if it doesn't set up as much as you'd like, you
can always reheat and add more.

Be sure to soak whatever type of agar you use in the wine first for at least
10 minutes and bring it to a full boil and let it simmer until it totally
dissolves...usually around 8 minutes... it can sometimes be a little tricky to
work with-- if you overcook it it won't set up properly much as if you add too
little it won't be really firm. Takes a little experimenting but it's worth it
:-).

hth,

Cheers,

Fritz

Jay

"Sarah Carter" > wrote in message
Plug > wrote in message

> I've always use a little less liquid than specified as I find veggie jelly
> never sets as firmly as gelatine. I also make a point of leaving it in

the
> fridge until just before serving. Since I find the thought of marrow from
> animal bones quite repulsive, this small difference has never bothered me!
> You can buy veggie jelly sachets in Holland and Barrett; sadly mine only

now
> does strawberry but I know other flavours are produced. Perhaps

experiment
> with veggie jelly without the wine before you take the plunge...

>>I've never tried to make it myself but my mum uses "vegeren" to make jelly

out of fruit juice. It seems to set properly and has instructions on the
packet.

I'm in Canada and I've never seen this brand. The stuff I have is just plain
agar-agar, no brand name or anything. Bought in the bulk section of a health
food store. That's the only thing I've really seen around here. Maybe I'll
have to take a bit of a look around in other stores. I experimented with a
little of it last night and it set WAY harder and faster than gelatine. It
was thick and even a little bit grainy after soaking and cooking. Anyone
know if that's normal?

thanks,
Jay
"Unlike you, I have no problem spanking men." -Angel

Jay

> I generally use 1 tablespoon of agar powder per cup of liquid unless it's
> particularly acidic, then I increase the agar powder by 10% or so... one

of the
> great things about agar is that if it doesn't set up as much as you'd

like, you
> can always reheat and add more.
>
> Be sure to soak whatever type of agar you use in the wine first for at

least
> 10 minutes and bring it to a full boil and let it simmer until it totally
> dissolves...usually around 8 minutes... it can sometimes be a little

tricky to
> work with-- if you overcook it it won't set up properly much as if you add

too
> little it won't be really firm. Takes a little experimenting but it's

worth it
> :-).

Thanks Fritz, I'm sure I can find something online as to the conversion
between leaf gelatin and powdered stuff. But thanks again for the
instructions, I'm sure they'll help a great deal.

-Jay

"Unlike you, I have no problem spanking men" -Angel

T5NF

>> I generally use 1 tablespoon of agar powder per cup of liquid unless it's
>> particularly acidic, then I increase the agar powder by 10% or so... one

>of the
>> great things about agar is that if it doesn't set up as much as you'd

>like, you
>> can always reheat and add more.
>>
>> Be sure to soak whatever type of agar you use in the wine first for at

>least
>> 10 minutes and bring it to a full boil and let it simmer until it totally
>> dissolves...usually around 8 minutes... it can sometimes be a little

>tricky to
>> work with-- if you overcook it it won't set up properly much as if you add

>too
>> little it won't be really firm. Takes a little experimenting but it's

>worth it
>> :-).

>Thanks Fritz, I'm sure I can find something online as to the conversion
>between leaf gelatin and powdered stuff. But thanks again for the
>instructions, I'm sure they'll help a great deal.

Don't thank me too quickly--it was supposed to read "one teaspoon" of powder
per cup of liquid, not one tablespoon.(d'oh)

Cheers,

Fritz
Jay

> Don't thank me too quickly--it was supposed to read "one teaspoon" of
powder
> per cup of liquid, not one tablespoon.(d'oh)

Heh. That woulda been a sweet hello for me....Look! Here's my block of
plastic cement....er, I mean wine jelly!

Thanks again to all who responded with help,
Jay

T5NF

Jay wrote:
<snip>
>Heh. That woulda been a sweet hello for me....Look! Here's my block of
>plastic cement....er, I mean wine jelly!

Well some folks do like their jellies really firm....*giggle*. (sorry about the
mistake) Have you tried the recipe? When you do, please post how it worked
out.

Cheers,

Fritz

Agar Powder herbalstore General 0 03-09-2009 10:00 AM
buy ampicillin plate order ampicillin dosing order ampicillinprophylaxis order ampicillin gentamycin order ampicillin dosing orderampicillin agar order ampicillin buy ampicillin acne order ampicillin solutionlb agar plates penicillin order ampicillin [email protected] General Cooking 0 13-03-2008 05:41 AM
Please Answer My Serious Question [was Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench] Radium Wine 6 09-07-2006 11:22 PM
Agar as a thickener? OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 32 04-10-2005 11:55 PM
Agar zxcvbob General Cooking 7 07-03-2005 12:10 AM