Jupiter

Default What is nutritional yeast

Is it vegan? Is it vegetarian?
I heard that it contains taurine, so possible it can be given to vegan
cats as a supplement, don't you think?

TIA,
Jupiter
MrFalafel

(Jupiter) wrote in message om>...
> Is it vegan? Is it vegetarian?
> I heard that it contains taurine, so possible it can be given to vegan
> cats as a supplement, don't you think?
>
> TIA,
> Jupiter

Yes, some brands are vegan. Here's some information
http://www.efn.org/~sundance/NutritionalYeast.html
http://www.bulkfoods.com/nutritional_yeast.htm

You need to be very, very careful if you try and feed your cat a vegan
diet. Don't just feed it nutritional yeast because 'you heard it
contains taurine.' That would be very irresponsible and can lead to
serious health problems for your cat. Learn more he
http://www.vegepet.com/
http://www.vegancats.com/faq.html
Belial

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 04:51:17 -0700, MrFalafel wrote:

> You need to be very, very careful if you try and feed your cat a vegan
> diet. Don't just feed it nutritional yeast because 'you heard it contains
> taurine.' That would be very irresponsible and can lead to serious health
> problems for your cat. Learn more he http://www.vegepet.com/
> http://www.vegancats.com/faq.html

Very sound advice.

I look at it this way - if you can't stand to feel your pets meat, don't
own carnivors. There's plenty of herbivore pets out there whose lives
won't be endangered by you imposing your values on them.

Ben

- coming of age during the plague of Regan and Bush
watching capitalism gun down democracy
it had a funny effect on me, I guess

Ani DiFranco
Belial

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 23:10:08 +0000, wowfabgroovy wrote:

> wouldn't cats just go out and eat birds or whatever when you're not
> looking anyway? we've had quite a few cats move in with us over the
> years, they all used to fetch bits of dead things in from the garden.

Most likely. That's why we make sure ours are well fed before they're
allowed to leave the house.

Ben

- coming of age during the plague of Regan and Bush
watching capitalism gun down democracy
it had a funny effect on me, I guess

Ani DiFranco
Megan Milligan

> > wouldn't cats just go out and eat birds or whatever when you're not
> > looking anyway? we've had quite a few cats move in with us over the
> > years, they all used to fetch bits of dead things in from the garden.
> >

> Most likely. That's why we make sure ours are well fed before they're
> allowed to leave the house.
>

> Ben

well-fed has nothing to do with it. domesticated cats still have the
hunter/killer instinct in them and will still go after birds and other
little things no matter what if given the chance.

megan

Belial

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 07:41:48 -0700, Megan Milligan wrote:

> well-fed has nothing to do with it. domesticated cats still have the
> hunter/killer instinct in them and will still go after birds and other
> little things no matter what if given the chance.
>
> megan

We've found with our cats that they're quite content to chase bugs so long
as they're well fed. On the (rare) occasions that we've let them out
without feeding them, they usually go after something... bigger.

So long as they're not hungry, and we play games with them that utilise
their more native instincts, they don't hunt. Of course bells (and a
beeping collar for the more capable of the 2) don't go astray.

Of course your experiences may be different.

Ben

- coming of age during the plague of Regan and Bush
watching capitalism gun down democracy
it had a funny effect on me, I guess

Ani DiFranco
nemo

Jupiter > wrote in message
m...
> Is it vegan? Is it vegetarian?
> I heard that it contains taurine, so possible it can be given to vegan
> cats as a supplement, don't you think?
>
> TIA,
> Jupiter

Vegan cats??? That's not Chris or Christine P. who used to live in Banbury
is it??

nemo

Belial > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 04:51:17 -0700, MrFalafel wrote:
>

> > You need to be very, very careful if you try and feed your cat a vegan
> > diet. Don't just feed it nutritional yeast because 'you heard it

contains
> > taurine.' That would be very irresponsible and can lead to serious

health
> > problems for your cat. Learn more he http://www.vegepet.com/
> > http://www.vegancats.com/faq.html

> Very sound advice.
>
> I look at it this way - if you can't stand to feel your pets meat, don't
> own carnivors. There's plenty of herbivore pets out there whose lives
> won't be endangered by you imposing your values on them.
>

> Ben

Yup. Get a rabbit instead and then you can feed it "Lettuce with a Gladsome
Mind."

(That's the veg/Vegan hymn! ))

Megan Milligan

yeah, it's different for each pet. my pekingese (RIP) always loved bringing
dead birds in the house. :-)

heh, gotta share this though. a friend of mine sent me this recently. I
got one hell of a laugh out of it, especially over how true it is. :-)

http://www.lolfun.com/flash_0902/kitty_hiphop.cfm

Megan