Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nutritional Yeast on Popcorn

We tried this for the first time today. It's a hit and a definite repeat
purchase. The yeast adds a rich, cheesy flavor and a nice vitamin
boost. The yeast is cheaper than butter or parmesan and doesn't add fat
or sodium. Somehow the popcorn seemed more filling. Is there any other
way you like to enjoy nutritional yeast?

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> We tried this for the first time today. It's a hit and a definite repeat
> purchase. The yeast adds a rich, cheesy flavor and a nice vitamin
> boost. The yeast is cheaper than butter or parmesan and doesn't add fat
> or sodium. Somehow the popcorn seemed more filling. Is there any other
> way you like to enjoy nutritional yeast?

Yes. It is often used in the making of nut cheeses. But you wouldn't need
to eat these unless you can't have dairy. It is also used in vegan mac and
cheese. But my favorite use for it is in twice baked potatoes.

We use really large ones and buy extra because we like them overstuffed.
Plus I always manage to break one or two.

Bake in whatever manner you like. You can do these in the Crockpot or
microwave first because the oven will crisp the skins later.

Cool until you can handle them. Or you can make them the day before and
refrigerate.

Cut a slice from the top and scoop out the insides, leaving a somewhat thin
shell.

Mash the insides well and mix with rice milk (or whatever milk you normally
use), salt, pepper, a little olive oil, lots of nutritional yeast and some
chopped green onion. You can use another type of onion or chives instead.

Stuff back into the shells, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with Sweet
Hungarian Paprika and bake until the tops begin to brown and they are hot
through.

Top with some more onion and serve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 13:56:42 -0500, Tara >
wrote:

> We tried this for the first time today. It's a hit and a definite repeat
> purchase. The yeast adds a rich, cheesy flavor and a nice vitamin
> boost. The yeast is cheaper than butter or parmesan and doesn't add fat
> or sodium. Somehow the popcorn seemed more filling. Is there any other
> way you like to enjoy nutritional yeast?

No, but this popcorn topping thing has me interested.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 16:46:33 -0700, sf wrote:

> No, but this popcorn topping thing has me interested.

I hope you'll like it. You can get a little free sample he

http://bragg.com/samples/samples_6521.php

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 19:01:49 -0500, Tara >
wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 16:46:33 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > No, but this popcorn topping thing has me interested.

> I hope you'll like it. You can get a little free sample he
>
> http://bragg.com/samples/samples_6521.php

Thanks for the link, I may even do it!

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/30/2014 11:56 AM, Tara wrote:
> We tried this for the first time today. It's a hit and a definite repeat
> purchase. The yeast adds a rich, cheesy flavor and a nice vitamin
> boost. The yeast is cheaper than butter or parmesan and doesn't add fat
> or sodium. Somehow the popcorn seemed more filling. Is there any other
> way you like to enjoy nutritional yeast?
>
> Tara

Nutritional yeast is very good on hot popcorn, I also like it on a
freshly prepared omelet or scrambled eggs. Try thinking of it as a
Parmesan replacement and see what else you can come up with.

The reason it seems more filling is probably because the yeast contains
a lot of natural glutamate, also known as "umami", something that
contributes to a sense of fullness and satisfaction. You might notice
the same effect when using Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, or other fermented foods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/30/2014 04:46 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 13:56:42 -0500, Tara >
> wrote:
>
>> We tried this for the first time today. It's a hit and a definite repeat
>> purchase. The yeast adds a rich, cheesy flavor and a nice vitamin
>> boost. The yeast is cheaper than butter or parmesan and doesn't add fat
>> or sodium. Somehow the popcorn seemed more filling. Is there any other
>> way you like to enjoy nutritional yeast?

> No, but this popcorn topping thing has me interested.

Have you tried dry Furikake powder (basically, powdered bonito flakes
and powdered toasted nori seaweed, plus some other stuff like asian rice
crackers and wasabi peas, all ground up in a spice grinder) sprinkled on
popcorn? Very good, it is. Hurricane popcorn is a similar concoction
that's almost a national dish in Hawaii.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/30/2014 9:29 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 19:01:49 -0500, Tara wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 16:46:33 -0700, sf wrote:
>>
>>> No, but this popcorn topping thing has me interested.

>> I hope you'll like it. You can get a little free sample he
>>
>> http://bragg.com/samples/samples_6521.php

> This link seems to work better:
>
> http://bragg.com/samples/samples_14410.php
>
> -sw

Neither link worked.
"No input file specified."

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/30/2014 6:02 PM, Whirled Peas wrote:

> Nutritional yeast is very good on hot popcorn, I also like it on a
> freshly prepared omelet or scrambled eggs. Try thinking of it as a
> Parmesan replacement and see what else you can come up with.
>
> The reason it seems more filling is probably because the yeast contains
> a lot of natural glutamate, also known as "umami", something that
> contributes to a sense of fullness and satisfaction. You might notice
> the same effect when using Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, or other fermented foods.

Nutritional yeast is dead yeast cells and used to be a by-product/waste
from the beer brewing industry. It's called "nutritional yeast" because
that sounds a lot better than "nasty vat scum." Essentially, it's used
as a more socially acceptable substitute for MSG in a lot of savory snacks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/30/2014 6:02 PM, Whirled Peas wrote:
>
>> Nutritional yeast is very good on hot popcorn, I also like it on a
>> freshly prepared omelet or scrambled eggs. Try thinking of it as a
>> Parmesan replacement and see what else you can come up with.
>>
>> The reason it seems more filling is probably because the yeast contains
>> a lot of natural glutamate, also known as "umami", something that
>> contributes to a sense of fullness and satisfaction. You might notice
>> the same effect when using Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, or other fermented
>> foods.

> Nutritional yeast is dead yeast cells and used to be a by-product/waste
> from the beer brewing industry. It's called "nutritional yeast" because
> that sounds a lot better than "nasty vat scum." Essentially, it's used as
> a more socially acceptable substitute for MSG in a lot of savory snacks.

Also widely used by vegans for a cheesy taste and also vitamin B12.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/30/2014 9:01 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Also widely used by vegans for a cheesy taste and also vitamin B12.

Mostly, it's hippie food. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 01:29:54 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Neither link worked.
> "No input file specified."

You have to go to the home page and click on "samples" in the left
column.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 21:14:06 -0700, Whirled Peas wrote:

> Have you tried dry Furikake powder (basically, powdered bonito flakes
> and powdered toasted nori seaweed, plus some other stuff like asian rice
> crackers and wasabi peas, all ground up in a spice grinder) sprinkled on
> popcorn? Very good, it is. Hurricane popcorn is a similar concoction
> that's almost a national dish in Hawaii.

I need to try this one day.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/30/2014 11:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 6/30/2014 6:02 PM, Whirled Peas wrote:
>
>> Nutritional yeast is very good on hot popcorn, I also like it on a
>> freshly prepared omelet or scrambled eggs. Try thinking of it as a
>> Parmesan replacement and see what else you can come up with.
>>
>> The reason it seems more filling is probably because the yeast contains
>> a lot of natural glutamate, also known as "umami", something that
>> contributes to a sense of fullness and satisfaction. You might notice
>> the same effect when using Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, or other fermented
>> foods.

> Nutritional yeast is dead yeast cells and used to be a by-product/waste
> from the beer brewing industry. It's called "nutritional yeast" because
> that sounds a lot better than "nasty vat scum." Essentially, it's used
> as a more socially acceptable substitute for MSG in a lot of savory snacks.

Nutritional yeast is *not* brewery waste. See
<http://lesaffre-yeast.com/faq.html#myths>, where they quash the idea
thoroughly. LeSaffre is the parent company of Red Star Yeast, and they
ought to know. In short, nutritional yeast is a separate strain of yeast
that is grown, processed and packed at the Iowa facility. It's been
pastured before it leaves and is no longer live.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I understand that it's not a byproduct anymore. That's why I used the pastense. It's still hippie food and used so the manufacturer can proudly proclaim "No MSG!" on the packaging.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/30/2014 9:01 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> Also widely used by vegans for a cheesy taste and also vitamin B12.

> Mostly, it's hippie food. :-)

Yes. Although I never could figure out how hippies latched onto granola.
That doesn't seem very healthy to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2014 7:44 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 6/30/2014 9:01 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>

>>> Also widely used by vegans for a cheesy taste and also vitamin B12.

>> Mostly, it's hippie food. :-)

> Yes. Although I never could figure out how hippies latched onto
> granola. That doesn't seem very healthy to me.

The hippies were first with granola, but the stuff has been pretty
mainstream for the last 30 years. My guess is that I'll be long dead
before nutritional yeast finds it's way to most folks' table. Praise the
Lord!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

We tried a generous shake of nutritional yeast on baked potatoes tonight.
It's a tasty potato topping.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 17:08:55 -0500, Tara >
wrote:

> We tried a generous shake of nutritional yeast on baked potatoes tonight.
> It's a tasty potato topping.

Which reminds me, I signed up for the sample.... wondering how soon it
will arrive? Amazon texted me that my KA attachments will arrive
tomorrow and gratuitous grating will ensue shortly thereafter.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2014 12:37 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> OK <sigh> try THIS One instead:
>
> http://bragg.com/general/FSredirect.php