Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:01:01 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

>****wit David Harrison, hopelessly overmatched as ever,
>lied:

>>> I have shown that it is so, ****wit. Stop lying.

>> Yet you can't do it now

>No, I *won't* do it now, ****wit; but I can. You're
>just trying to waste my time, ****wit, and as we long
>ago established, you do not waste my time - I waste yours.
>

>>> YOU want non-existent livestock to come into
>>> existence, and you pretend it's for their benefit, when
>>> it clearly is only for yours.

>> I can consider both

>No, you don't. Stop lying, ****wit. You only consider
>your benefit. Because you're ashamed of it, you go
>through a silly charade of pretending you consider the
>benefit of the animals from existing, but there is no
>such benefit.

The fact that you can't explain why should tell you
that you have no idea what you're trying to talk about,
Goo.
Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 05:17:51 GMT, Goo wrote:

>Rupert wrote:

>> On Jun 7, 1:53 am, Goo wrote:

>>> Then, you know why the moral belief is false, too.

>> Here we go again. Just because vegans also financially support
>> processes which harm animals

>No, cocksucker - not "[merely] financially support",
>you shitbag. They *participate* in those processes,

"the nutritionally unnecessary choice deliberately to kill an animal
ALWAYS causes a moral harm greater in magnitude than . . . the
moral "benefit" realized by the animal in existing at all" - Goo

"Humans could change it. They could change it by ending it." - Goo

"People who don't want them to exist should be "vegans". - Goo

"There is no "selfishness" involved in wanting farm animals not to
exist as a step towards creating a more just world." - Goo
Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 19:33:37 GMT, "Dutch" > wrote:

><dh@.> wrote in message ...
>> On Thu, 31 May 2007 18:42:15 GMT, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>
>>><dh@.> wrote

>>>Why? If they are not made to suffer then it's not cruel to them. "Their
>>>lives", apart from the quality of those lives, is of no moral consequence.

>> So you selfishly continue to insist, without being able to explain
>> why.

>Why do you keep calling it selfish when you are unable to explain why it's
>selfish?

I do explain why it's selfish, but you can't understand it so you
necessarily can't appreciate it either.

>>Why do you think it's ethically superior not to consider what
>> the animals gain?

>Give me one reason to to consider what the animals gain.

Because it's a necessary step in considering whether or not it's
cruel to them to be raised for food.

>Describe one benefit that would accrue to one animal if I began
>doing that right now.

Nothing you think about can benefit any animal. What you do
as a result of what you think about can. Insisting that people
refuse to consider the animals' lives could never help any animals.
Getting people to consider the animals' lives leads to better AW.
Better AW works against the misnomer, which is why you hate it.
Duh, of course. You are in favor of the misnomer, and can't move
away from it. Some aspects of your behavior show that you would
like to, but you're still confused and afraid to try because it makes
you feel dirty. The "dirty" feelings are a result of the purity of your
selfishness, which traps you.
Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

On 31 May 2007 13:02:15 -0700, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

>what you mean, ****wit, is that their lives "ought" to occur,

Which particular their lives are you trying to refer to Goo,
and why do you think anything could suggest that "they"
"ought to occur"?
Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

On Jun 17, 3:17 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> .com...
> >> Then, you know why the moral belief is false, too.

> > Here we go again. Just because vegans also financially support
> > processes which harm animals

> No, cocksucker - not "[merely] financially support",
> you shitbag.

"Financial support" is the correct description.

> They *participate* in those processes,
> rupie.

No.

> When you write "[merely] financially support",
> you are trying to downplay and minimize their role.

No.

> But their role is:
>
> - active
> - fully aware
> - voluntary
> - repeated
> - unnecessary

Yes. But "financial support" is a perfectly correct description.

> Every time, you cocksucker, that you write "[merely]
> financially support", you're trying to create the
> illusion that their participation is passive, something
> they can't help, something they don't want to do.

No.

> But
> we have shown, conclusively and irrefutably, that it is
> anything *but* that, rupie, you filthy shit-faced yob.
> Their participation has these qualities that make
> them fully and undeniably morally culpable in animal
> deaths:
>
> - active
> - fully aware
> - voluntary
> - repeated
> - unnecessary
>
> That is, rupie, you mealy-mouthed coward, they *CHOOSE*
> to participate in animal-killing processes.

They choose to financially support them, yes.

> Stop writing "[merely] financially support", rupie, you
> little smarmy thimbleful of shit.

No. Stop absurdly trying to order people around and acting like a fool.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

Rupert wrote:
> On Jun 18, 4:32 am, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>> Rupert wrote:
>>> Why shouldn't they?

>> Invalid response. The burden of proof is on you to
>> show that they should.
>>

> Nonsense.

No. The burden of proof is on you, and you're not
meeting it.

>>> I'm not advocating preference utilitarianism, I'm explaining what it
>>> is for the purpose of

>> You are helping ****wit David Harrison, the pervert who
>> solicits kinky *** sex on his leaky rusty houseboat.

> No, I'm not.

Yes, you are, you stupid simpering ****.
Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

Rupert wrote:
> On Jun 18, 6:30 am, "Dutch" > wrote:
>> "Rupert" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...

>>> Why shouldn't they?

>> Because those preferences conflict with ours.
>>

> Well, I might as well say, "Why should I give anyone else's
> preferences any consideration, when they conflict with mine?"

If you're talking about mere preferences, then yes, why
*should* you give them any consideration? But we're
not, rupie. When we talk about humans, we are talking
about rights, not merely preferences.
Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

Rupert wrote:
> On Jun 18, 4:38 am, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>> Rupert wrote:
>>> That's a challenge that can be raised, yes.

>> And not met by the ****witted utilitarians in any way.
>>

> As I pointed out in the part which you snipped, the challenge applies
> to many other people, including you. The utilitarians do at least as
> good a job of responding to it as anyone else.

>>> Similar in all morally relevant respects.

>> Circular.
>>

> No, because the preference utilitarian has a theory about what
> respects are morally relevant: what is morally relevant is how much is
> at stake for the affected parties.

>>> No-one's ever given any good reason why it shouldn't.

>> The burden of proof, which you consistently fail to
>> meet, is on you to show that it should.

> No.

Yes. You are the ones who want to change something,
based on assertions you make. You must support the
assertions, and you can't; weakly blabbering, "well,
why not?" is not support.

The burden of proof is on you, and you fail to meet it
- always.
Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

Rupert wrote:
> On Jun 18, 7:28 am, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>> Dutch wrote:
>>> "Rupert" > wrote
>>> [..]
>>> The interest of the chicken in survival is discounted because it is not
>>> sufficiently sentient to be aware of its existence across time. My
>>> interest in consuming chicken wins.

>> rupie the toweringly egotistical boy and other
>> ****witted utilitarians arbitrarily assign weights, on
>> the basis of polemics, such that the chicken "wins".
>> The exercise is bullshit sophistry from start to finish.
>>

> This is nonsense

No. The exercise *is* bullshit sophistry, nothing more.

>>> It's invalid to use the same words in the explanation that are used in
>>> the phrase being defined.

>> If we're talking about utilitarianism, "morality"
>> doesn't enter into it. rupie was just bullshitting.
>>

> Nonsense. Utilitarianism is a moral theory.

No. There's no such thing as morality in
utilitarianism. You can't get to morality by
blabbering about entities' preferences.

>>> If you actually use "equal consideration" in the literal sense then the
>>> animal *always* has more at stake in the immediate equation. Therefore
>>> the consideration is not really equal, it's weighted. Show how its
>>> weighted.

>> Arbitrarily, so that the bullshit sophist "A.L."
>> utilitarian "wins" his little rhetorical game.

> Nonsense. It's not weighted.

Bullshit. You just don't know what the ****ing hell
you're talking about. Of *course* there are weights,
you stupid ****. But you ****s just make them up.
Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

On Jun 18, 3:26 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> glegroups.com...
> >> Invalid response. The burden of proof is on you to
> >> show that they should.

> > Nonsense.

> No. The burden of proof is on you, and you're not
> meeting it.

Why? Is the burden of proof on you to show that the interests of black
people shouldn't be ignored? How do you propose to meet that burden of
proof?

> >> You are helping ****wit David Harrison, the pervert who
> >> solicits kinky *** sex on his leaky rusty houseboat.

> > No, I'm not.

> Yes, you are, you stupid simpering ****.

You truly are quite an astonishing imbecile on so many different
levels.

Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

That's a ****ing lie.

It's a ****ing laugh riot, rupie. What a ****!

>>> You don't have a clue one way or the other

>> One way or ANother, you semi-literate slag.

> "One way or the other" is a perfectly legitimate construction

Wrong. It assumes there are only two ways, and that's
bullshit. "One way or ANother", you stupid blithering
****.

>> But I do have a clue - in fact, much more than that.

> On the basis of what?

Education, experience, innate ability.

>>> I am more ethical than you

>> You are wholly unethical, not least because you lie about your lack of
>> ethics.

> Okay

Yes, okay.

>>> As usual

>> !!!

> What are you making exclamation marks about here, you weirdo? Okay,
> so you think I'll be stuck in telemarketing for the next five years.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Goddamnit, rupie, I'm about to split
my sides!

> I've just completed quite a good Ph.D. thesis in maths

As if anyone is going to take your [highly
self-interested] word for it, you ****.

What the **** is wrong with you, *writing* out "sigh"?
You ****ing baboon.

>>> You think you are

>> I am.

> It gets more convincing

Of course.

>>> That has no bearing on the matter at all.

>> It has all the bearing in the world. The fact that you spend a HUGE
>> amount of time here - you really are a wheezy windbag - instead of
>> doing research speaks volumes.

> Well, that's a very interesting view you have, but the bottom
> line is, I'm extremely well-read in many different areas of
> mathematics,

But not *doing* anything there. SO it was a waste of
the taxpayers' money.

> It may well be that I'll never win the Fields Medal

That's a guarantee.
Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

On Jun 18, 3:28 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> > On Jun 18, 6:30 am, "Dutch" > wrote:
> >> "Rupert" > wrote in message

> roups.com...

> glegroups.com...
> >> Because those preferences conflict with ours.

> > Well, I might as well say, "Why should I give anyone else's
> > preferences any consideration, when they conflict with mine?"

> If you're talking about mere preferences, then yes, why
> *should* you give them any consideration? But we're
> not, rupie. When we talk about humans, we are talking
> about rights, not merely preferences.

Well, in that case you're rejecting preference utilitarianism. I
thought you were addressing a question to the preference
utilitarianism, why not restrict the preferences you consider to human
preferences? If you're just rejecting preference utilitarianism
outright, then that's a different argument. Of course, a rights
theorist who maintains that all sentient humans and only sentient
humans have rights also has to explain why that should be.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

On Jun 18, 3:29 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> legroups.com...
> oglegroups.com...
> >> And not met by the ****witted utilitarians in any way.

> > As I pointed out in the part which you snipped, the challenge applies
> > to many other people, including you. The utilitarians do at least as
> > good a job of responding to it as anyone else.

> >> Circular.

> > No, because the preference utilitarian has a theory about what
> > respects are morally relevant: what is morally relevant is how much is
> > at stake for the affected parties.

> >> The burden of proof, which you consistently fail to
> >> meet, is on you to show that it should.

> > No.

> Yes. You are the ones who want to change something,
> based on assertions you make. You must support the
> assertions, and you can't; weakly blabbering, "well,
> why not?" is not support.
>
> The burden of proof is on you, and you fail to meet it
> - always.

If I point out that existing institutions are based on discrimination
that lacks justification, then the burden of proof is on those who
would seek to justify those institutions. If I lived in the nineteenth
century and wanted to challenge the institution of enslaving black
people, it would have been sufficient for me to point out that it was
based on arbitrary discrimination and ask for a justification for that
discrimination. How else could I have argued that the institution was
wrong?

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

****wit David Harrison, hopelessly overmatched as ever,
lied:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:01:01 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>> ****wit David Harrison, hopelessly overmatched as ever,
>> lied:

>>> Yet you can't do it now

>> No, I *won't* do it now, ****wit; but I can. You're
>> just trying to waste my time, ****wit, and as we long
>> ago established, you do not waste my time - I waste yours.

>>> I can consider both

>> No, you don't. Stop lying, ****wit. You only consider
>> your benefit. Because you're ashamed of it, you go
>> through a silly charade of pretending you consider the
>> benefit of the animals from existing, but there is no
>> such benefit.

> The fact that

You only consider your benefit, ****wit, and then you
make up bullshit about considering the non-existent
livestock animals' benefit. It's bullshit.
Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

****wit David Harrison, hopelessly overmatched as ever,
lied:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 05:17:51 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:
>
>> Rupert wrote:

>>> Here we go again. Just because vegans also financially support
>>> processes which harm animals

>> No, cocksucker - not "[merely] financially support",
>> you shitbag. They *participate* in those processes,

> "the nutritionally unnecessary choice deliberately to kill an animal
> ALWAYS causes a moral harm greater in magnitude than . . .

You falsified that.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

****wit David Harrison, hopelessly overmatched as ever,
lied:
> On 31 May 2007 13:02:15 -0700, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>> what you mean, ****wit, is that their lives "ought" to occur,

> Which particular thei

There is zero reason to give "their lives" any
consideration. Of
course, what you mean, ****wit, is that their lives
"ought" to occur,
and that's just wrong. You will never persuade anyone
of that. The
*welfare* of their lives, if the lives occur, is
important; "their
lives", as something that should be given even a moment's
consideration before the lives occur, are not important.

You'll never get there, ****wit, no matter how much
bullshit you spew
and how much wasted time you put into it: you will
never persuade
anyone that livestock "ought" to exist out of any
consideration of
their lives.
Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

Rupert wrote:
> On Jun 17, 3:17 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>> Rupert wrote:
>>> Here we go again. Just because vegans also financially support
>>> processes which harm animals

>> No, cocksucker - not "[merely] financially support",
>> you shitbag.

> "Financial support" is

....is a lie. It is not "[merely] financial support",
and that is the incorrect description. That is a
sleazy, deliberately deceptive attempt to minimize what
it is they do, and it has FAILED, rupie. But you're a
dishonest sleaze, and you wrongly think if you keep
repeating the lie often enough, you'll eventually get
away with it.

It is a lie, rupie, and you won't get away with it.
You are trying to minimize the involvement and downplay
it, and you can't do it - not while I'm around to
remind you and all the sleazy little ****s you're
trying to protect that their *PARTICIPATION* is:

- active
- fully aware
- voluntary
- repeated
- unnecessary

They *CHOOSE* to participate in killing animals, rupie.
YOU DO, rupie. There is blood on your hands, rupie.

>> They *participate* in those processes,
>> rupie.

> No.

Yes, rupie.

>> When you write "[merely] financially support",
>> you are trying to downplay and minimize their role.

> No.

Yes, rupie, you are. It is sleazy and dishonest, and
this is the biggest part of why we *KNOW* that you are
unethical.

>> But their role is:
>>
>> - active
>> - fully aware
>> - voluntary
>> - repeated
>> - unnecessary
>>

> Yes. But "financial support" is

....is a lie, rupie. It's wrong. It's dishonest, and
it's a sleazy attempt to avoid moral culpability that
*ATTACHES* to you.

>> Every time, you cocksucker, that you write "[merely]
>> financially support", you're trying to create the
>> illusion that their participation is passive, something
>> they can't help, something they don't want to do.

> No.

Yes, rupie, that's exactly what you're trying to do,
you sleazy lying ****.

>> But
>> we have shown, conclusively and irrefutably, that it is
>> anything *but* that, rupie, you filthy shit-faced yob.
>> Their participation has these qualities that make
>> them fully and undeniably morally culpable in animal
>> deaths:
>>
>> - active
>> - fully aware
>> - voluntary
>> - repeated
>> - unnecessary
>>
>> That is, rupie, you mealy-mouthed coward, they *CHOOSE*
>> to participate in animal-killing processes.
>>

> They choose to

They choose to kill, rupie. You choose to kill. You
are a killer.

>> Stop writing "[merely] financially support", rupie, you
>> little smarmy thimbleful of shit.

> No.

Yes, rupie. When you write it, you are a sleazy and
dishonest ****.
Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

Rupert wrote:
> On Jun 18, 3:26 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>> Rupert wrote:
>>> Nonsense.

>> No. The burden of proof is on you, and you're not
>> meeting it.
>>

> Why? Is the burden of proof on you to show that the interests of black
> people shouldn't be ignored? How do you propose to meet that burden of
> proof?

>>> No, I'm not.

>> Yes, you are, you stupid simpering ****.

> You truly are

You truly are a simpering stupid ****.
Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

Rupert wrote:
> On Jun 18, 3:28 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>> Rupert wrote:
>>> Well, I might as well say, "Why should I give anyone else's
>>> preferences any consideration, when they conflict with mine?"

>> If you're talking about mere preferences, then yes, why
>> *should* you give them any consideration? But we're
>> not, rupie. When we talk about humans, we are talking
>> about rights, not merely preferences.

> Well, in that case

**** off, sleazy lying **** boy.
Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

Rupert wrote:
> On Jun 18, 3:29 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>> Rupert wrote:
>>> As I pointed out in the part which you snipped, the challenge applies
>>> to many other people, including you. The utilitarians do at least as
>>> good a job of responding to it as anyone else.
>>> No, because the preference utilitarian has a theory about what
>>> respects are morally relevant: what is morally relevant is how much is
>>> at stake for the affected parties.
>>> No.

>> Yes. You are the ones who want to change something,
>> based on assertions you make. You must support the
>> assertions, and you can't; weakly blabbering, "well,
>> why not?" is not support.
>>
>> The burden of proof is on you, and you fail to meet it
>> - always.

> If I point out that existing institutions are based on discrimination
> that lacks justification

Then the burden of proof is on YOU to demonstrate the
lack of justification. You fail.

****wit.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

"Rupert" > wrote
> On Jun 18, 6:30 am, "Dutch" > wrote:

[..]

>> > Why shouldn't they?

>> Because those preferences conflict with ours.
>>

> Well, I might as well say, "Why should I give anyone else's
> preferences any consideration, when they conflict with mine?" What
> justification is there for drawing the distinction on the basis of
> species? Why not on the basis of race, or on whether someone was born
> in a leap year?

Because species signifies differences in sentience, sometime vast
differences. Year of birth doesn't signify anything.

>> > What grounds are there for giving no weight to
>> > preferences of nonhuman beings, any more than there are grounds for
>> > giving no weight to the preferences of humans with dark skin?

>> There are relevant bases for differentiation between species, there are
>> none
>> between races of humans.
>>

> Well, we've been through this many many times. There are differences
> between typical humans and typical nonhumans, but if you're going to
> make those the basis of differentiation then some humans will fall
> outside the protected circle.

Ability vs "capability", read the essay.

> Incidentally, there are measurable differences between the average IQ
> scores of different races.

What do average IQs have to do with anything?

>> > If you're taking the viewpoint that preference-satisfaction is what
>> > matters, then if anyone is going to say that the preferences of some
>> > beings don't count, the burden is on them to explain why.

>> It's not even that they don't count, it's that they are overruled.
>> Organisms
>> always place priority on their own preferences.
>>

> Well, preference utilitarians say we should consider all interests of
> all parties affected equally.

Nobody does that.

> You may not agree with it, that's fine,
> I'm just expounding for you what the theory says, as an example of a
> theory that is consistent with equal consideration.

Nothing is consistent with "equal consideration", nobody knows what it
means, and an equally inscrutable catch-phrase will not pass as a lucid
definition. Consideration is always specific.

>> > I'm not advocating preference utilitarianism, I'm explaining what it
>> > is for the purpose of explaining to Dutch what theories are consistent
>> > with equal consideration.

>> You have never explained it, you just assert it.
>>

> I'm explaining what it says. I'm not asserting that it is the correct
> theory.

You're repeating catch-phrases, you're not explaining anything.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

"Rupert" > wrote.
> If I were in the nineteenth
> century and I were arguing that the interests of black people should
> be given equal weight to those of white people, it would not be my job
> to make a positive case. It would be sufficient simply to challenge my
> opponents to give good grounds on which to discriminate against black
> people.

You can't base your position on the assumption that racism provides a valid
example. It doesn't, it's an absurd argument. The differences between negro
men and white men are insignificant compared to the differences between a
chicken and a human being.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

"Rupert" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jun 18, 7:24 am, "Dutch" > wrote:
>> "Rupert" > wrote

>> > No-one's ever given any good reason why it shouldn't. You might as
>> > well say, why should we give equal consideration to the preferences of
>> > black humans. If you're going to discount the interests of the members
>> > of a particular group, you need to give some justification.

>> The sentience level of a chicken is not even remotely close to that of a
>> human, and you have said yourself that sentience is a morally relevant
>> factor. You have essentially implied that sentience *in any degree*
>> implies
>> that we should apply equal consideration (literally) yet in other
>> arguments
>> you agree that we are not required to do so.

> You're confused about what equal consideration means.

I agree, so are you, you just won't admit it.

> We should give
> the chicken's interest equal consideration to that which we would give
> to the relevantly similar interests of a human. (In order to have
> relevantly similar interests, the human would have to be of similar
> cognitive capacity to the chicken). However a chicken's interests are
> different in kind to that of a typical human, because of the smaller
> degree of cognitive complexity. This may give rise to differences in
> the way we treat the chicken.

Meaning.. if I ever encounter a chicken that can carry on a conversation I
will stop eating chicken.

Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

"Rupert" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 18, 8:56 am, "Dutch" > wrote:

>> > I'd be interested to see you defend that claim.

>> I'd be happy to, but first, for the sake of argument, say I do. Say that
>> show beyond all reasonable doubt that my diet causes less harm than the
>> average vegan diet, what then? How does that effect the charge that
>> vegan's
>> make that we need to stop using animals as food?
>>

> It would show that a diversity of diets are acceptable.

To whom? Should vegans change their posture on this issue if I am correct?

>> > If you really feel they're not making every reasonable effort, sure,
>> > why not?

>> I do think that they're efforts are reasonable, but my charge would be
>> that
>> their belief that the use of animals for food is immoral based on harm to
>> animals is hypocritical.
>>

> If the belief is unqualified, yes, that would be fair enough.

The only qualifications offered by vegans is that we could kill animals to
eat if there was no other food. Even that falls short of "equal
consideration". It totally fails to recognize the possibilty that a
non-vegan diet could be less harmful.

>> > Then why have I had abuse and scorn poured on me ever since I got here
>> > when that's all I've ever been saying? Were you not listening?

>> I don't think there's any point attempting to dissect what exactly you've
>> been saying or haven't been saying, but I repeat, if vegans propose that
>> their diet is "a reasonable alternative" in reducing animal harm, then
>> nobody would argue.
>>

> Well, that's all I've been saying since I got here, and I've received
> untold scorn and abuse from all the antis, including you. So perhaps
> you should apologize and resolve to listen more carefully to what
> people say in the future.

That isn't all you've been saying, and you've deserved every bit of scorn
you've gotten and then some. You are a colossal twit.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

"Rupert" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 18, 7:18 am, "Dutch" > wrote:
>> "Rupert" > wrote
>>
>> > On Jun 17, 4:57 pm, "Dutch" > wrote:

>> [..]

>> > Then you weigh up the interests of all those affected.

>> The interest of the chicken in survival is discounted because it is not
>> sufficiently sentient to be aware of its existence across time. My
>> interest
>> in consuming chicken wins.
>>

> Well, Peter Singer would not be in unqualified agreement with you. He
> has a discussion of this in Chapter 5 of "Practical Ethics". Please
> don't whinge about my referring to books. We are discussing Peter
> Singer's views here, not my own. If you want to understand what those
> views are, you should read what he wrote.

I don't, I asked YOU.

>> > It means similar in all morally relevant respects.

>> It's invalid to use the same words in the explanation that are used in
>> the
>> phrase being defined.
>>

> See my reply to Ball.

No, give me a real definition.

>> > The issue is who
>> > has the most at stake.

>> If you actually use "equal consideration" in the literal sense then the
>> animal *always* has more at stake in the immediate equation. Therefore
>> the
>> consideration is not really equal, it's weighted. Show how its weighted.
>>

> What Peter Singer advocates is equal consideration.

No it isn't.

>> > It depends on who has more at stake.

>> Who wins, me or the chicken? I want your opinion.
>>

> I'm not a preference utilitarian. If I were, I wouldn't think it would
> be right for you to kill a chicken who happened to be passing by just
> because you felt hungry, no.

Why not? Isn't the hunger of a highly sentient being more important than the
life of a marginally sentient one?

> When the chicken was brought into
> existence because of your desire to eat it, the issue is more complex.

Do tell.

[..]

>> > Yeah, you're right, complex issues are raised in actually applying
>> > preference utilitarianism, and it may not be absolutely clear what it
>> > actually entails about our situation. You want to argue about this,
>> > maybe you should thrash it out with Peter Singer. I'm just presenting
>> > it to you as an example.

>> You're the one who claimed that preference utilitarianism is consistent
>> wih
>> equal consideration. How did you arrive at that conclusion?
>>

> It gives equal weight to the relevantly similar interests of all
> sentient beings.

You don't have the slightest idea do you? You just type catch-phrases and
expect people to stand in awe of your intellect.

[..]

>> Sure, but the fundamental issue is the use of animals as a food source,
>> and
>> he doesn't challenge that.
>>

> Well, actually, he does in "Practical Ethics", but he may have
> softened his views somewhat since then.

Maybe he flops around as the situation warrants, ARAs tend to do that.

>> > Singer only thinks constraints apply when following them leads to
>> > better consequences.

>> What do YOU think?
>>

> I don't agree with him.

Not Singer, you.

>> > Well, you could argue that. Singer, I belive, would think that the
>> > consequences are better overall if we stick around.

>> What do YOU think?
>>

> I think this contention of Singer's is fairly plausible.

Not Singer, you.

>> > I don't think a plant's sensations have any subjective character. It
>> > is not like anything to be a plant.

>> I would add to that, being a chicken or a cow is nothing like being a
>> person. The difference in the subjective experience is huge. Animals,
>> except
>> perhaps higher apes, simply exist in the moment, which explains many of
>> their amazing abilities, and our fascination with them.
>>
>> [..]

>> > If it were put into practice fairly radical changes would be required.
>> > So why aren't most thoughtful people campaigning for radical changes
>> > in the way we treat animals?

>> The same reason they aren't campaigning to change a thousand other
>> examples
>> of injustice in the world, like genocide in Darfur or slave trade in
>> Russia,
>> people are busy living their lives. It's not because they don't think
>> it's
>> wrong.
>>

> Okay, fine. So most thoughtful people basically agree with me about
> animals and support the work I do.

Telemarketing? No they don't.

> Apparently they choose not to
> change their diets, but never mind.

What do you recommend, veganism? What a surprise.

> So why do I get so much flak here?

Because you're a colossal idiot, beyond anything that I ever imagined
possible. You ramble on and never say anything and when people call you on
it you cry like a baby. You think you're imparting great profound thoughts
but you just talk in circles.

[..]

>> > really don't see what's wrong with offering to attempt to educate
>> > someone.

>> That's amazing.
>>
>> [..]

>> > It can be expressed in English, but a little time and effort is
>> > required to understand.

>> You haven't tried to express it in plain English so I haven't had the
>> opportunity.
>>

> Yes, I have.

OK, maybe you've tried, but you have not succeeded. I accept the possibility
that you don't know how.

[..]

>> > Well, elaborate.

>> The ability to have a higher subjective experience is uniquely human. We
>> don't know to what extent people with limited abilities retain this
>> ability,
>> so we err on the side of caution.

> Then we should err on the side of caution in the case of nonhuman
> animals as well.

Why? There has never been any evidence whatsoever that the animals we use
for food possess any higher cognitive abilities. On the other hand, it is
very plausible that even impaired humans still do possess such abilities,
even in some hidden form. That's why we err on the side of caution with
humans. Besides it remains a completely implausible idea that the human race
could function while "erring on the side of caution" when dealing with
animals. We couldn't do it if we wanted to.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

<dh@.> wrote in message ...
> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 19:33:37 GMT, "Dutch" > wrote:
>
>><dh@.> wrote in message ...

>>> So you selfishly continue to insist, without being able to explain
>>> why.

>>Why do you keep calling it selfish when you are unable to explain why it's
>>selfish?

> I do explain why it's selfish, but you can't understand it so you
> necessarily can't appreciate it either.

You've never explained it, not once. You've never tried.

>>>Why do you think it's ethically superior not to consider what
>>> the animals gain?

>>Give me one reason to to consider what the animals gain.

> Because it's a necessary step in considering whether or not it's
> cruel to them to be raised for food.

It's obviously not a necessary step, because neither I, nor Jonathan nor
Swamp, nor any of a long list of anti-ARAs whose names you know well
"consider what the animals gain" and not one of us thinks its cruel to raise
animals for food. The fact that you think its necessary says something about
you, nothing else.

>>Describe one benefit that would accrue to one animal if I began
>>doing that right now.

> Nothing you think about can benefit any animal. What you do
> as a result of what you think about can. Insisting that people
> refuse to consider the animals' lives could never help any animals.

Stop moving the goalposts ****wit. I didn't say don't consider the animals
lives, I said it's unecessary to consider "what they get out of it".

> Getting people to consider the animals' lives leads to better AW.

Considering "what they get out of it" won't lead to better AW. If we think
animals already gain the benefit of getting to experience life maybe I'll
decide that's good enough, I don't need to do more.

> Better AW works against the misnomer, which is why you hate it.
> Duh, of course. You are in favor of the misnomer, and can't move
> away from it. Some aspects of your behavior show that you would
> like to, but you're still confused and afraid to try because it makes
> you feel dirty. The "dirty" feelings are a result of the purity of your
> selfishness, which traps you.

You're the one who believes that unless we "consider how the animals
benefit" by being born that we must necessarily think that raising them is
cruel. You're the one who thinks like an ARA, albeit a twisted and confused
one.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

<dh@.> wrote
> On 31 May 2007 13:02:15 -0700, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>what you mean, ****wit, is that their lives "ought" to occur,

> Which particular their lives are you trying to refer to Goo,
> and why do you think anything could suggest that "they"
> "ought to occur"?

If he's not correct, then what's selfish about advocating the elimination of
livestock?

Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

"Rupert" > wrote
> On Jun 17, 3:17 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

[..]

>> we have shown, conclusively and irrefutably, that it is
>> anything *but* that, rupie, you filthy shit-faced yob.
>> Their participation has these qualities that make
>> them fully and undeniably morally culpable in animal
>> deaths:
>>
>> - active
>> - fully aware
>> - voluntary
>> - repeated
>> - unnecessary
>>
>> That is, rupie, you mealy-mouthed coward, they *CHOOSE*
>> to participate in animal-killing processes.
>>

> They choose to financially support them, yes.

No different than if they went out to the farm and wrung their little necks
with their bare hands.

>> Stop writing "[merely] financially support", rupie, you
>> little smarmy thimbleful of shit.

> No. Stop absurdly trying to order people around and acting like a fool.

You tell him rupe, he's not the boss of you.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

"Rupert" > wrote

> Why? Is the burden of proof on you to show that the interests of black
> people shouldn't be ignored? How do you propose to meet that burden of
> proof?

I'm sure negros are impressed that you are comparing their human rights with
chickens.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

"Rupert" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jun 18, 3:28 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>> Rupert wrote:

>> roups.com...

>> glegroups.com...

>> > Well, I might as well say, "Why should I give anyone else's
>> > preferences any consideration, when they conflict with mine?"

>> If you're talking about mere preferences, then yes, why
>> *should* you give them any consideration? But we're
>> not, rupie. When we talk about humans, we are talking
>> about rights, not merely preferences.

> Well, in that case you're rejecting preference utilitarianism. I
> thought you were addressing a question to the preference
> utilitarianism, why not restrict the preferences you consider to human
> preferences? If you're just rejecting preference utilitarianism
> outright, then that's a different argument. Of course, a rights
> theorist who maintains that all sentient humans and only sentient
> humans have rights also has to explain why that should be.

Ability and capability.. read the essay.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

"Rupert" > wrote

[..]

> If I point out that existing institutions are based on discrimination
> that lacks justification,

The charge has to be plausible. It isn't sufficient that a small group of
wild-eyed fanatics "point something out". I could point out that women
routinely choose men as husbands, discriminating against many good dogs.
That is not a plausible argument, and no justification is needed except to
inform you that dogs are the wrong species.

> then the burden of proof is on those who
> would seek to justify those institutions.

No, the burden remains on you to establish that your charge is plausible,
you haven't, in fact everything you say in support of your charge only
undermines it by it's sheer brutal circularity and lack of coherence.

>If I lived in the nineteenth
> century and wanted to challenge the institution of enslaving black
> people, it would have been sufficient for me to point out that it was
> based on arbitrary discrimination and ask for a justification for that
> discrimination. How else could I have argued that the institution was
> wrong?

By arguing that skin colour was not a morally relevant criterion to
discriminate on, it's immaterial. Species is morally relevant because it
signals that an animal either has or lacks the ability and/or capability to
exhibit higher cognitive functions like advanced self-awareness, knowledge
of living in time and mortality. So far only humans have demonstrated this
cap/ability.

Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
Don Don is offline

"Rudy Canoza"> wrote
> donnie can't give coherent reasons for his opposition to meat consumption,

Thats because I have none, I eat meat all the time.
Now tell us again why you have a guilt complex about animals.

Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
Don Don is offline

"Kadaitcha Man"> wrote
> Don> wrote
>> "Kadaitcha Man"> wrote
>>> What is there to justify? Man's brain developed off the back of
>>> eating protein-rich meat.

>> Make that *raw* meat and you may be close.

> Homo Erectus Pekinensis is known to have tended fires as far back as
> 300,000
> years or more, perhaps 350,000, and there is evidence that Homo Erectus
> Pekinensis used fire to prepare food, amongst other things.

And he ate meat how prior to discovering fire?
Notice your qualifier word *developed* above.
You seem to want to pick an arbitrary time in history to support your
assertion, while I prefer to go back to the beginning.

Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
Don Don is offline

"Rudy Canoza" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Don wrote:
>> "Kadaitcha Man" > wrote in message
>>> Dutch > Thou issue of a mangy dog. Thou damnable fellow. Ye
>>> afforded:

>>> Suppose, for one moment, that all vegans suddenly discover that their
>>> bodies
>>> are lacking in a certain mineral or enzyme (et al) and that they will
>>> die
>>> horrible deaths over the space of a month due to the supposed lack. Also
>>> suppose that they must do what the man below did or die horribly because
>>> the
>>> life-saving ingredient cannot be obtained any other way:
>>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070605/...uk_china_frogs
>>>
>>> How many vegans do you suppose will succumb to their innate will to live
>>> thereby ****ing off their alleged "moral commitment"?
>>>
>>> I say damn near every one of them would. So then, what value is the
>>> "moral
>>> commitment"?

>> This so called *moral code* is largely a figment of the posters
>> imagination.

> No. What is imaginary is your belief that you are morally superior by
> virtue of not consuming animal parts. That such a false moral belief
> underlies "veganism" is not in rational dispute.

You just make this stuff up as you go along don't you Rudy?
You can't show one post where I stated I don't consume meat, and certainly
nothing about veganism.
Notice how silly you look.

Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
Don Don is offline

"Rupert" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 6, 3:27 am, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>> Don wrote:
>> > "Kadaitcha Man" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> > This so called *moral code* is largely a figment of the posters
>> > imagination.

>> No. What is imaginary is your belief that you are
>> morally superior by virtue of not consuming animal
>> parts. That such a false moral belief underlies
>> "veganism" is not in rational dispute.

> Why is it false, Ball? Why isn't it morally preferable to cause less
> suffering? Just once I'd like to hear the slightest reason.

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but Rudy's comment is made from
whole cloth.
He made it up, as I have never claimed the things he's said.
In other words, he's a bold faced liar.
In about 20 mins I have a nice 3lb meatloaf coming out of the oven, and I'll
dump some gravy all over the top. Mmmmmm.........

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

On Jun 18, 7:31 pm, "Dutch" > wrote:
> "Rupert" > wrote
>
> > Why? Is the burden of proof on you to show that the interests of black
> > people shouldn't be ignored? How do you propose to meet that burden of
> > proof?

> I'm sure negros are impressed that you are comparing their human rights with
> chickens.

Well, you tell me where the analogy breaks down. Sure you can say,
negroes have similar cognitive capacities to typical Caucasian humans
and chickens don't, but that's basically conceding my point, inasmuch
as you're making an effort to meet the burden of proof.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

On Jun 18, 3:31 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> Rupert wrote:

that

overall

future time,

death for

is not

My
> >> rupie the toweringly egotistical boy and other
> >> ****witted utilitarians arbitrarily assign weights, on
> >> the basis of polemics, such that the chicken "wins".
> >> The exercise is bullshit sophistry from start to finish.

> > This is nonsense

> No. The exercise *is* bullshit sophistry, nothing more.

That's not an argument. You wouldn't know anything about what you're
talking about anyway. If you want to criticize the existing
literature,
then engage with it.

moral

interests of all

chicken?

used in
> >> If we're talking about utilitarianism, "morality"
> >> doesn't enter into it. rupie was just bullshitting.

> > Nonsense. Utilitarianism is a moral theory.

> No. There's no such thing as morality in
> utilitarianism. You can't get to morality by
> blabbering about entities' preferences.

Nonsense. Utilitarianism is just as much a moral theory as any other.
As pointed out a few times now, your own political philosophy
sometimes
appeals to utilitarian considerations.

then the

Therefore

its
> >> Arbitrarily, so that the bullshit sophist "A.L."
> >> utilitarian "wins" his little rhetorical game.

> > Nonsense. It's not weighted.

> Bullshit. You just don't know what the ****ing hell
> you're talking about. Of *course* there are weights,
> you stupid ****. But you ****s just make them up.

No, that's rubbish. You are the one who doesn't know what he's
talking
about. If you want to prove otherwise, make an argument. Preferably
one
which refers to the literature.

Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

wrote:

moral

denying

justified.

is morally

at

all, and

against it.

be

it's

That's

issue raised by

ability.

diligence, not

mathematical

of people

way.

Ph.D. was

taxpayers.

people as a

for the
> >> You are. Telemarketing = bothering people.

> > Most of the people I speak with are perfectly polite to me, and

many
> > are pleased to receive my call.

> That's a ****ing lie.

No. You wouldn't have a clue about it. You're very fond of making
confident assertions about things you wouldn't have a clue about.

of
> >> With a Ph.D. in maths. Priceless!

> > Well, I'm glad you find it entertaining

> It's a ****ing laugh riot, rupie. What a ****!

I know a lot of people who've just finished a Ph.D. who are in the
same
situation: it's going to take them time to find jobs which match
their
qualifications. How long did it take you?

substantially
> >> One way or ANother, you semi-literate slag.

> > "One way or the other" is a perfectly legitimate construction

> Wrong. It assumes there are only two ways, and that's
> bullshit. "One way or ANother", you stupid blithering
> ****.

No, there are only two ways. The proposition is either true or false.
And you don't have a clue either way. Silly fool.

> >> But I do have a clue - in fact, much more than that.

> > On the basis of what?

> Education, experience, innate ability.

None of which bears on the issue you claim to have a clue about. You
know nothing about my life and my level of ability, Ball.

did.

figures.
> >> You are wholly unethical, not least because you lie about your

lack of
> >> ethics.

> > Okay

> Yes, okay.

Silly fool.

you've
> >> !!!

> > What are you making exclamation marks about here, you weirdo? Okay,
> > so you think I'll be stuck in telemarketing for the next five

years.

> Ha ha ha ha ha! Goddamnit, rupie, I'm about to split
> my sides!

Strange fellow. Yes, I agree, the suggestion is pretty amusing.

> > I've just completed quite a good Ph.D. thesis in maths

> As if anyone is going to take your [highly
> self-interested] word for it, you ****.

They won't need to. My supervisor and others will testify to my
ability. In any case, the fact that I have completed the thesis and
will be
awarded the degree will increase my employability.

scum.
> >> Yes.

> > Sigh.

> What the **** is wrong with you, *writing* out "sigh"?
> You ****ing baboon.

something far
> >> I am.

> > It gets more convincing

> Of course.

Clark medal

candidate

the Fields

mathematics,

I've only got

that I'll

matter is
> >> It has all the bearing in the world. The fact that you spend a

HUGE
> >> amount of time here - you really are a wheezy windbag - instead of
> >> doing research speaks volumes.

> > Well, that's a very interesting view you have, but the bottom
> > line is, I'm extremely well-read in many different areas of
> > mathematics,

> But not *doing* anything there. SO it was a waste of
> the taxpayers' money.

No, it wasn't. I did some interesting research, and I'll probably do
more. Also, my skills will soon be put to good use in some way or
other.

> > It may well be that I'll never win the Fields Medal

> That's a guarantee.

That's a conjecture made in utter ignorance. I have some degree of
competence to judge the matter, you have none. The bottom line is no-
one
really knows at this stage. Anyway, it's irrelevant. Why do you think
it's so significant if I won't win the Fields Medal? Your desperation
try to put other people down is truly pathetic.

Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

On Jun 18, 3:29 am, "Dutch" > wrote:
> "Rupert" > wrote
>
> > On Jun 17, 3:17 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

> [..]
>

> >> we have shown, conclusively and irrefutably, that it is
> >> anything *but* that, rupie, you filthy shit-faced yob.
> >> Their participation has these qualities that make
> >> them fully and undeniably morally culpable in animal
> >> deaths:

> >> - active
> >> - fully aware
> >> - voluntary
> >> - repeated
> >> - unnecessary

> >> That is, rupie, you mealy-mouthed coward, they *CHOOSE*
> >> to participate in animal-killing processes.

> > They choose to financially support them, yes.

> No different than if they went out to the farm and wrung their little necks
> with their bare hands.
>
> >> Stop writing "[merely] financially support", rupie, you
> >> little smarmy thimbleful of shit.

> > No. Stop absurdly trying to order people around and acting like a fool.

> You tell him rupe, he's not the boss of you.

Baby Goo it is too late for you to help Pappy Goo.

Flailing your tiny fists will avail him nothing.

He's had his ass kicked here repeatedly.

Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

On Jun 18, 3:52 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> oglegroups.com...

completely >>

closely

laudable

validity of

consideration and

Singer's

equal

of a theory

time I

Perhaps you

understand.

you just

nothing so far

will >>

by now.

example of a

not saying

who didn't

utilitarianism not

you to view

on my part.

"Would you mind

is?"

while

way that any

Then you

perform that

overall

future time,

death for

applies

as

moral

interests of all

chicken?

much is
> >> Yes. You are the ones who want to change something,
> >> based on assertions you make. You must support the
> >> assertions, and you can't; weakly blabbering, "well,
> >> why not?" is not support.

> >> The burden of proof is on you, and you fail to meet it
> >> - always.

> > If I point out that existing institutions are based on

discrimination
> > that lacks justification

> Then the burden of proof is on YOU to demonstrate the
> lack of justification. You fail.
>
> ****wit.

That's utterly absurd. If someone maintains that there's a
justification, it's clearly their job to provide it. You utterly
incredible fool.