Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Tea Tours in Hong Kong?

Hello again,
I've been to HK a few times and I often see groups of tourists/other
interested people being taken around various shopping areas on organised
'shopping' tours.

So I was wondering if someone over there does a similar thing but targetting
tea shops/outlets?? Whilst this approach may not be the ideal way of
buying/tasting tea I think it might serve as a good introduction, at least
for a newbie such as myself. Of course any tour guide would obviously take
you to places where he/she were paid a good commission - but given that, I
also think it'd be a good way to spend an afternoon rather than doing the
usual stuff one does on vacation in Honkers; I mean one can only spend so
much time at Stanley Markets !

Regards
Mal
Oz

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
LLW LLW is offline

Hi,

I don't think there is any tour for tea lovers in Hong Kong. But HK is small
place. You won't have any difficulties finding those tea shops yourselves.
You may start with this one. This shop is mainly for tourists or expats in
HK, I think. They speak good English, the quality of their tea is not bad.
So it's a good place to start with.
http://www.mingcha.com.hk/

For the local tea lovers, they would buy tea at the more traditional tea
shops like the following ones. They may not speak or speak very little
English.
http://www.lkytea.com/contactus.php
Ngan Ki Heung Tea Co. Ltd., G/F, 290, Queen's Road, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
Ming Heung Tea Co. Ltd., 77 Hau Wong Road, Kowloon City, Kowloon Hong Kong

You may also like to visit our Museum of Tea Ware.
http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/Museum/Art...ro/eintro.html

Hope that helps.

Wai

"Draconus" > ...
> Hello again,
> I've been to HK a few times and I often see groups of tourists/other
> interested people being taken around various shopping areas on organised
> 'shopping' tours.
>
> So I was wondering if someone over there does a similar thing but
> targetting
> tea shops/outlets?? Whilst this approach may not be the ideal way of
> buying/tasting tea I think it might serve as a good introduction, at least
> for a newbie such as myself. Of course any tour guide would obviously take
> you to places where he/she were paid a good commission - but given that, I
> also think it'd be a good way to spend an afternoon rather than doing the
> usual stuff one does on vacation in Honkers; I mean one can only spend so
> much time at Stanley Markets !
>
> Regards
> Mal
> Oz

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thanks Wai, I think I agree, I hadn't seen any evidence of these types of
tours either on my last few visits, but that didn't necessarily mean there
weren't any, so thought it was worth the unquiry as I am not a HK local.

Yes I know Ming Cha too (well at least where it is, I haven't been there
yet), it's just around the corner from where we are staying so I'll
definitely add that to my list. The tea museum actually does a short intro
to tea and tea culture a couple of times a week so we'll be checking that
out too.

Appreciate the feed back.

Cheers
Mal
Oz

Hong Kong Shrimp Wayne Asian Cooking 0 31-12-2005 01:36 AM
pu er tea in hong kong mathias Tea 4 23-04-2005 05:28 PM
pu er tea in hong kong mathias Tea 0 21-04-2005 09:00 PM
I am going to Hong Kong, which teas should I buy? Nick Tea 2 21-05-2004 05:48 PM
Hong Kong visit LeRoy Asian Cooking 3 30-03-2004 06:25 PM