Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Favorite teas to drink iced?

It hit 80 degrees F today. I hate heat. So, now that I'm venturing
further afield from generic "black" and "green" teas, what are people's
favorite varieties to drink iced, and do you sweeten them or no?

Thanks,
--
Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
"Poodles are space aliens who think they've disguised
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Debbie the Dogged > wrote:
>It hit 80 degrees F today. I hate heat. So, now that I'm venturing
>further afield from generic "black" and "green" teas, what are people's
>favorite varieties to drink iced, and do you sweeten them or no?

I tend to use cheap Uva-grown Ceylon teas, and occasionally assam for
iced tea.

Jasmine iced tea is very interesting. My wife can't stand it, but I
rather like it, made with yellow box jasmine.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

My local tea shoppe started selling something called Smoothies.
Basically it is a chai of the day with puree ice that is creamy as any
thick malt. Yum. Everyday Liptons makes a good iced tea. That is the
US version claim to fame. I find with any iced tea I add lemon or lime
so the tea doesn't matter that much. Whatever it is make it strong and
drink in big glasses with lots of ice.

Jim

Debbie the Dogged wrote:
> It hit 80 degrees F today. I hate heat. So, now that I'm venturing
> further afield from generic "black" and "green" teas, what are people's
> favorite varieties to drink iced, and do you sweeten them or no?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
> "Poodles are space aliens who think they've disguised
> themselves as dogs." - Paghat the Ratgirl

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

RJP wrote:
> I'm very fond of China lychee black iced. This is a keemun base
> tea which has been soaked in lychee (a Chinese fruit) juice, and
> then dried. The lychee flavor imparts a unique sweetness. And
> this tea is usually very reasonably priced. Yes, I add a little
> sugar, but particularly with lychee tea this is not necessary.
> Whenever we serve it to guests, they go berzerk (in a good way).

That sounds amazing.

For iced tea I usually just drink peppermint, brewed overnight or for a
very long time, with a little honey if I feel like it.

My college roommate used to take empty wine bottles, put in about half
an inch of cheap gunpowder tea, a lot of fresh mint, and a couple
tablespoons of honey, then pour in boiling water to fill and leave the
whole concoction in the fridge for about a week. The end result was
fluorescent green and very rich in caffeine and fructose, and we drank
it very cold out of very small glasses. Good after a long bike ride.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I've been using up some older Morrocan Mint green tea bags the last few
days. I tried hot steeping the first batch the other day and it's not too
bad, using hot water and about 6 tea bags and then pouring it over ice in a
pitcher when it was done steeping. I sweeten my iced tea, if I do, with
Splenda, I save real sugar for my hot cuppas, I'm very particular about
those.

The chai thing sounds good Jim, I think I'll try that here soon here at
home.

Melinda

"Debbie the Dogged" > wrote in message
> It hit 80 degrees F today. I hate heat. So, now that I'm venturing
> further afield from generic "black" and "green" teas, what are people's
> favorite varieties to drink iced, and do you sweeten them or no?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
> "Poodles are space aliens who think they've disguised
> themselves as dogs." - Paghat the Ratgirl

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have a pitcher of iced Teavana Emerald Princess
(http://store.teavana.com/emprnecso.html), sweetened with a bit honey,
in the fridge, and I'm really enjoying that. Plus, I ordered some teas
from Davidson's (what do you all think of their quality overall?) and am
currently enjoying a hot cup of Russian Caravan (thanks to whoever
recommended I try that). Last night I tried their "Sun, Moon and
Stars" - a combination of Oolong, Gunpowder and Jasmine - and didn't
like it very much hot, but poured it over ice, added some honey and
loved it.

So far, I'm discovering that I like different teas for drinking hot and
iced. Do you all find this also?
--
Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
"Poodles are space aliens who think they've disguised
themselves as dogs." - Paghat the Ratgirl
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
RJP RJP is offline

Debbie the Dogged wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions!
> So far, I'm discovering that I like different teas for drinking hot and
> iced. Do you all find this also?

Yes, mostly. I drink a lot of green teas hot that have delicate flavor
nuances that seem to get lost when the tea is iced. The China lychee
black I recommended iced is also good hot, but as a change of pace
rather than a staple. I drink it sometimes in the winter along with
a sweet snack like cookies.

Randy

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie the Dogged
It hit 80 degrees F today. I hate heat. So, now that I'm venturing
further afield from generic "black" and "green" teas, what are people's
favorite varieties to drink iced, and do you sweeten them or no?

Thanks,
--
Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
"Poodles are space aliens who think they've disguised
themselves as dogs." - Paghat the Ratgirl
Why not try tropical flavors that infuses really well. There's black tea in mango peach, passionfruit or other such blends that are popular. Even a Jasmine tea tastes great over iced. Of course you'll need double the amount of loose leaves for steeping before pouring your brew over ice. I would then as a touch of mint & sweetner to the glass. Check out www.timanatea.com for some tropical island blends.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

This isn't tea, technically, but when I lived in the South, the best
iced drink after real iced tea was iced Red Ziner (a hibiscus tisane
from Celestial Seasonings). It was both cold and just slightly tart.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Debbie the Dogged wrote:
> It hit 80 degrees F today. I hate heat. So, now that I'm venturing
> further afield from generic "black" and "green" teas, what are people's
> favorite varieties to drink iced, and do you sweeten them or no?

My personal favorite is 2/3 Yunnan Gold and 1/3 dry spearmint leaves,
use less spearmint leaf if using fresh, no sweetener needed for this
blend IMHO.

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I'm finishing up Luisianne from last year, Aldi's cheapest mixed with
Aldi's raspberry tisane. and for late afternoon and evening tisanes,
chocolate mint rooibos, ginger, licorice, and raspberry (each separtely
made). I keep three quarts in the refigerator at once. Toci
Debbie the Dogged wrote:
> It hit 80 degrees F today. I hate heat. So, now that I'm venturing
> further afield from generic "black" and "green" teas, what are people's
> favorite varieties to drink iced, and do you sweeten them or no?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
> "Poodles are space aliens who think they've disguised
> themselves as dogs." - Paghat the Ratgirl

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Tue, 16 May 2006 20:05:55 -0700, Debbie the Dogged
> wrote:

>what are people's favorite varieties to drink iced,

I use a "Japanese Lime Tea". That is a green tea flavoured with lime.
I don't think I ever tried it hot but is yummie cold.

Lars
Stockholm
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Pai Mu Tan is my favorite iced so far. I can also tell you that cheap
Da Hong Pao is terrible iced...

Usually, though, any tea that I end up hating hot I make into iced tea
to make it drinkable. I'll take Pai Mu Tan either way though.

--Debbie the Dogged wrote:
>It hit 80 degrees F today. I hate heat. So, now that I'm venturing
>further afield from generic "black" and "green" teas, what are people's
>favorite varieties to drink iced, and do you sweeten them or no?
>
>Thanks,
>--
>Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
> "Poodles are space aliens who think they've disguised
> themselves as dogs." - Paghat the Ratgirl

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lars wrote:
> On Tue, 16 May 2006 20:05:55 -0700, Debbie the Dogged
> > wrote:
>
> >what are people's favorite varieties to drink iced,

> I use a "Japanese Lime Tea". That is a green tea flavoured with lime.
> I don't think I ever tried it hot but is yummie cold.
>
> Lars
> Stockholm

Where'd you find Japanese Lime Tea?!? I would love to try that, hot or
iced.

My favorites are Yellow box Jasmine Green tea with Chinese rock sugar,
Sencha, Lusianne, and these big (like 10x normal size) McDonalds
teabags I got from a friend who works at a distribution center. I
experiment with all kinds of teas though. Lichee black is good,
strawberry sencha, ginger peach black tea, etc.

The only one I can't handle is Oolong iced tea.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

The best iced tea I tried was made with Menghai's Pu-erh and lemon.
Black tea is fine too, but the others (Green, white and Oolong) just
don't taste as good they would hot.

Personally, I think tisanes are much better iced. Hibiscus can be
pretty good if mixed with other herbs, but my favorite is Yerba Mate.
Roasted mate can produce a very aromatic drink, and iced, with sugar
and lemon, is pretty popular around here.

Not to mention Tereré, a cold variation of the traditionally prepared
mate, with cold water and lemon, which remains unmached, at least in
refreshment.

--k

Dominic T. wrote:
> Lars wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 May 2006 20:05:55 -0700, Debbie the Dogged
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >what are people's favorite varieties to drink iced,

> > I use a "Japanese Lime Tea". That is a green tea flavoured with lime.
> > I don't think I ever tried it hot but is yummie cold.
> >
> > Lars
> > Stockholm

> Where'd you find Japanese Lime Tea?!? I would love to try that, hot or
> iced.
>
> My favorites are Yellow box Jasmine Green tea with Chinese rock sugar,
> Sencha, Lusianne, and these big (like 10x normal size) McDonalds
> teabags I got from a friend who works at a distribution center. I
> experiment with all kinds of teas though. Lichee black is good,
> strawberry sencha, ginger peach black tea, etc.
>
> The only one I can't handle is Oolong iced tea.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 30 May 2006 17:14:27 -0700, "Dominic T." >
wrote:

>> I use a "Japanese Lime Tea". That is a green tea flavoured with lime.
>> I don't think I ever tried it hot but is yummie cold.

>Where'd you find Japanese Lime Tea?!? I would love to try that, hot or
>iced.

Here;
http://www.teacentre.se/catalog/adva...2a&language=en

Lars
Stockholm
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lars wrote:
> On 30 May 2006 17:14:27 -0700, "Dominic T." >
> wrote:
>
> >> I use a "Japanese Lime Tea". That is a green tea flavoured with lime.
> >> I don't think I ever tried it hot but is yummie cold.

> >Where'd you find Japanese Lime Tea?!? I would love to try that, hot or
> >iced.

> Here;
> http://www.teacentre.se/catalog/adva...2a&language=en
>

> Lars
> Stockholm

Thanks Lars, unfortunately when I tried to purchase some the cost was
over $40.00 US due to shipping and currency exchange for 3.5g. I'm not
able to pay that for this tea, but I will keep hunting for another
source or a way to obtain some.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 1 Jun 2006 20:24:08 -0700, "Dominic T." >
wrote:

>> >Where'd you find Japanese Lime Tea?

>> Here;
>> http://www.teacentre.se/catalog/adva...2a&language=en

>Thanks Lars, unfortunately when I tried to purchase some the cost was
>over $40.00 US due to shipping and currency exchange for 3.5g.

3.5 g?
I never buy less than 100g, and that would cost me abt $10 for fine
quality teas.

The teas I drink regularly I buy 250 grams at a time, which gives a
10% discount.
No doubt shipping costs would hit you bad though.

Lars
Stockholm
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thanks for the suggestion. I've gotten my Yerba Mate' and my heirloom
tea flowers out from the dark corner where I put my not-my-cup-of-tea
tisanes and mixed them for iced tea. The result is a yellow green,
sour/bitter brew that's potable. I'll do further experimentation,
though. Toci
Konrad Scorciapino wrote:
> The best iced tea I tried was made with Menghai's Pu-erh and lemon.
> Black tea is fine too, but the others (Green, white and Oolong) just
> don't taste as good they would hot.
>
> Personally, I think tisanes are much better iced. Hibiscus can be
> pretty good if mixed with other herbs, but my favorite is Yerba Mate.
> Roasted mate can produce a very aromatic drink, and iced, with sugar
> and lemon, is pretty popular around here.
>
> Not to mention Tereré, a cold variation of the traditionally prepared
> mate, with cold water and lemon, which remains unmached, at least in
> refreshment.
>
> --k
>
> Dominic T. wrote:
> > Lars wrote:
> > > On Tue, 16 May 2006 20:05:55 -0700, Debbie the Dogged

> > > I use a "Japanese Lime Tea". That is a green tea flavoured with lime.
> > > I don't think I ever tried it hot but is yummie cold.
> > >
> > > Lars
> > > Stockholm

> > Where'd you find Japanese Lime Tea?!? I would love to try that, hot or
> > iced.
> >
> > My favorites are Yellow box Jasmine Green tea with Chinese rock sugar,
> > Sencha, Lusianne, and these big (like 10x normal size) McDonalds
> > teabags I got from a friend who works at a distribution center. I
> > experiment with all kinds of teas though. Lichee black is good,
> > strawberry sencha, ginger peach black tea, etc.
> >
> > The only one I can't handle is Oolong iced tea.
> >
> > - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lars wrote:

> >> Here;
> >> http://www.teacentre.se/catalog/adva...2a&language=en

> >Thanks Lars, unfortunately when I tried to purchase some the cost was
> >over $40.00 US due to shipping and currency exchange for 3.5g.

> 3.5 g?
> I never buy less than 100g, and that would cost me abt $10 for fine
> quality teas.
>
> The teas I drink regularly I buy 250 grams at a time, which gives a
> 10% discount.
> No doubt shipping costs would hit you bad though.
>
> Lars
> Stockholm

Sorry, I meant to say 3.5oz. or 100g. for about $40 shipped. I may
experiment making my own sencha lime tea blend.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

To brew it in a teapot, you will need roasted Mate, otherwise you will
have to use a gourd.

About it becoming sour, well, like tea, Yerba Mate comes in many
varieties, and not all are like that. As a general rule, if its color
is more yellow than green, it will become sour, and you will have to
use a smaller gourd. I prefer mate that is really green and has lots of
twigs.

Here are some links I found about brewing. They are not in english, but
the images are still useful.

http://www.clubedoterere.com.br/como_preparar/ - Using cold water to
prepare Tereré
http://www.chimarrao.com.br/PrepareChimarrao.html - Chimarrão, made
with powdered, instead of chopped, mate
http://www.paginadogaucho.com.br/chim/aprendendo.htm - This page has a
downloadable video

--k

toci wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion. I've gotten my Yerba Mate' and my heirloom
> tea flowers out from the dark corner where I put my not-my-cup-of-tea
> tisanes and mixed them for iced tea. The result is a yellow green,
> sour/bitter brew that's potable. I'll do further experimentation,
> though. Toci
> Konrad Scorciapino wrote:
> > The best iced tea I tried was made with Menghai's Pu-erh and lemon.
> > Black tea is fine too, but the others (Green, white and Oolong) just
> > don't taste as good they would hot.
> >
> > Personally, I think tisanes are much better iced. Hibiscus can be
> > pretty good if mixed with other herbs, but my favorite is Yerba Mate.
> > Roasted mate can produce a very aromatic drink, and iced, with sugar
> > and lemon, is pretty popular around here.
> >
> > Not to mention Tereré, a cold variation of the traditionally prepared
> > mate, with cold water and lemon, which remains unmached, at least in
> > refreshment.
> >
> > --k
> >
> > Dominic T. wrote:

> > > Where'd you find Japanese Lime Tea?!? I would love to try that, hot or
> > > iced.
> > >
> > > My favorites are Yellow box Jasmine Green tea with Chinese rock sugar,
> > > Sencha, Lusianne, and these big (like 10x normal size) McDonalds
> > > teabags I got from a friend who works at a distribution center. I
> > > experiment with all kinds of teas though. Lichee black is good,
> > > strawberry sencha, ginger peach black tea, etc.
> > >
> > > The only one I can't handle is Oolong iced tea.
> > >
> > > - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

http://www.theteaemporium.com/custom...&cat=14&page=1

this store is based in Canada and it has something like that.

Katie

> Sorry, I meant to say 3.5oz. or 100g. for about $40 shipped. I may
> experiment making my own sencha lime tea blend.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

The second time, I used straight Yerba Mate, and it was better. I
think I would like it fine if I had grown up with it; as it is, I just
have too much expectation that it should taste just like tea. It does
seem to brew well just like refrigerator tea- put a teaspoon a cup into
a bottle,brew in refrigerator for 12 hours. It needs a little stirring
after 2 hours and 4 hours. Toci

July iced teas toci Tea 0 29-06-2012 06:29 PM
My new favorite mixed drink Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 48 12-09-2009 10:18 PM
Favorite teas Rich Billionaire Tea 12 31-12-2008 03:50 AM
Where you do most enjoy drinking your favorite alcoholic drink? Greg General Cooking 35 15-01-2007 07:50 PM
Where you do most enjoy drinking your favorite alcoholic drink? Greg Wine 28 15-01-2007 07:50 PM