Space Cowboy

Default My tea kettle just died

May it RIP. It served me faithfully for 15 years. It was the most
expensive kettle I ever bought at $50. It was heavy guage stainless
steel with removal whistle. You could tweek the tweeds. This one
could handle high heat for hours after a boil down. You never needed
gloves for the handle even then. It was a well balanced pot with nice
contoured handle for easy pouring with one hand. There was never any
blowback of steam from the spout when pouring. If there was a down
side you always had to remove the whistle from the spout but you could
still do that with two fingers even with the steam. In it's death
throws it revealed something about the anatomy of why it was so
efficient and durable. There is a steel plate for heat dispersion
ticky tac to the bottom of the stainless steel. Fortunately this fell
off in the sink and not above the ceramic glasstop. I'd say it weighs
at least a pound. The plate will make a nice trivet. I might try it
with a high temperature glass kettle. In the mean time I'm using a
liter sauce pan which matches the volume of the pot. It heats so fast
under two minutes on the small burners I never use I might stay with
that awhile till I get over my grieving and even think about replacing
an old friend. I've already done some scouting because I knew the tacs
were working loose and all I see is cheap and tinny and cheap and
plastic.

Jim

Marlene Wood

My condolences Jim. Loosing a pot that you used for so long is like loosing
a friend. My it rest in peace.
Marlene

toci

Space Cowboy wrote:
> May it RIP. It served me faithfully for 15 years. It was the most
> expensive kettle I ever bought at $50. It was heavy guage stainless
> steel with removal whistle. You could tweek the tweeds. This one
> could handle high heat for hours after a boil down. You never needed
> gloves for the handle even then. It was a well balanced pot with nice
> contoured handle for easy pouring with one hand. There was never any
> blowback of steam from the spout when pouring. If there was a down
> side you always had to remove the whistle from the spout but you could
> still do that with two fingers even with the steam. In it's death
> throws it revealed something about the anatomy of why it was so
> efficient and durable. There is a steel plate for heat dispersion
> ticky tac to the bottom of the stainless steel. Fortunately this fell
> off in the sink and not above the ceramic glasstop. I'd say it weighs
> at least a pound. The plate will make a nice trivet. I might try it
> with a high temperature glass kettle. In the mean time I'm using a
> liter sauce pan which matches the volume of the pot. It heats so fast
> under two minutes on the small burners I never use I might stay with
> that awhile till I get over my grieving and even think about replacing
> an old friend. I've already done some scouting because I knew the tacs
> were working loose and all I see is cheap and tinny and cheap and
> plastic.
>

> Jim

toci

I'm so sorry. I did tinny and cheap and plastic till my brother came
over and burned it- 3 pots, as I recall. Now I do a Revere Ware sauce
pan, which has many of the features of your pot. And I wash it before
and after I do soup or veggies, and crud never builds up. When you
find your perfect pot again, tell me, but in the meantime, I'm
satisfied. Toci
Space Cowboy wrote:
> May it RIP. It served me faithfully for 15 years. It was the most
> expensive kettle I ever bought at $50. It was heavy guage stainless
> steel with removal whistle. You could tweek the tweeds. This one
> could handle high heat for hours after a boil down. You never needed
> gloves for the handle even then. It was a well balanced pot with nice
> contoured handle for easy pouring with one hand. There was never any
> blowback of steam from the spout when pouring. If there was a down
> side you always had to remove the whistle from the spout but you could
> still do that with two fingers even with the steam. In it's death
> throws it revealed something about the anatomy of why it was so
> efficient and durable. There is a steel plate for heat dispersion
> ticky tac to the bottom of the stainless steel. Fortunately this fell
> off in the sink and not above the ceramic glasstop. I'd say it weighs
> at least a pound. The plate will make a nice trivet. I might try it
> with a high temperature glass kettle. In the mean time I'm using a
> liter sauce pan which matches the volume of the pot. It heats so fast
> under two minutes on the small burners I never use I might stay with
> that awhile till I get over my grieving and even think about replacing
> an old friend. I've already done some scouting because I knew the tacs
> were working loose and all I see is cheap and tinny and cheap and
> plastic.
>

> Jim

Space Cowboy

It did strike me that the tinny ones would ruin a ceramic glasstop or
the plastic parts would melt if ever allowed to boil down for a length
of time. I do that about once a year. The only problem with the never
been used non-stick sauce pan so far there is a thin oily film I can't
get rid of and the lip is the wrong direction for pouring. I pour from
the left hand and the lip is the other direction. It's too late for me
to learn to switch hands. I hope there are some good kettles still
around. I guess I'll have to hit the gourmet kitchen stores or find a
sauce pan for the left hand. I do like how fast water comes to a boil
in the sauce pan and it fits a set of burners that don't get any use.

Jim

toci wrote:
> I'm so sorry. I did tinny and cheap and plastic till my brother came
> over and burned it- 3 pots, as I recall. Now I do a Revere Ware sauce
> pan, which has many of the features of your pot. And I wash it before
> and after I do soup or veggies, and crud never builds up. When you
> find your perfect pot again, tell me, but in the meantime, I'm
> satisfied. Toci
> Space Cowboy wrote:
> > May it RIP. It served me faithfully for 15 years. It was the most
> > expensive kettle I ever bought at $50. It was heavy guage stainless
> > steel with removal whistle.

Mark

Greetings,

Revere Ware makes tea kettles. They have a copper bottom like their pans
and
they come with a whistle that is removed by a lever in the handle when you
pour
the water out. They come in several sizes too. I use the smallest. It is
still going
after many years of service. I don't know where you would find one, perhaps
a good department store.

Mark

Melinda

Just a side comment Jim, don't let a non-stick pan boil down or it can give
off some pretty toxic fumes. Best of luck looking for a kettle...I had a Le
creuset but it sputtered very badly when I'd go to pour. They're expensive
but not practical for me. I went to electric and have been satisfied so far.

Melinda

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It did strike me that the tinny ones would ruin a ceramic glasstop or
> the plastic parts would melt if ever allowed to boil down for a length
> of time. I do that about once a year. The only problem with the never
> been used non-stick sauce pan so far there is a thin oily film I can't
> get rid of and the lip is the wrong direction for pouring. I pour from
> the left hand and the lip is the other direction. It's too late for me
> to learn to switch hands. I hope there are some good kettles still
> around. I guess I'll have to hit the gourmet kitchen stores or find a
> sauce pan for the left hand. I do like how fast water comes to a boil
> in the sauce pan and it fits a set of burners that don't get any use.
>
> Jim

kuri

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message :

> May it RIP. It served me faithfully for 15 years.

All my sympathy.

>It was ost
> expensive kettle I ever bought at $50.

My mother paid a bit more for my new kettle last Xmas. I would have bought
it myself if she hadn't grasped her credit card quicker than me.
The reasons :
- the end of my last cheap kettle : there was a hole in the bottom. So I
decided I'd gave up cheap boiling.
-the burnt by steam while I was trying to refill the big tetsubin I used
briefly as a kettle. After that accident, I decided I'd refill kettles by
the spout.
-Mum said that was good quality. I think I can trust a woman that got
married 40 years ago and still uses
all the cooking/table ware she had selected as wedding presents.

So I have that :
http://66.70.211.12/store/alessi_kettle_sapper.html
It looks nicer than on the photo.

I took the steel bottom for induction cooking. But you can get the copper
bottom as you have a classical stove.

So far, it is perfect. And it whistles like a boat, my neighbours think I
have a yatch.

Kuri

TeaDave

Have you considered an electric kettle? I love the traditional kettle,
but haven't used mine in a while since I moved into the dorms at
college. My inexpensive, electric kettle has been serving me well, and
doubling as a pot. It boils fast and I can use it anywhere I can find a
plug. It does sputter a bit, and doesn't whistle (I miss that the
most), but it seems to serve its purpose well.

Space Cowboy

Thanks, Melinda. I was going to ask about non-stick boil down. In
this case by the time I fill the pan and dump the pot and choose a tea
it is almost ready to pour. There is no need to go wondering off.
Cold kettles on cold mornings take forever and not much less time on
warm mornings. If you want 500ml out of a round liter kettle it is
hard to estimate. I've already did some good estimates using the sauce
pan because it is uniform in shape and you can see the water level. I
will say the sauce pan doesn't seem to get as hot as a kettle. With
the kettle you get steam with the hot water as you pour plus more
turbulance from the spout. If I even miss the pot with the sauce pan
I'll need first aid for first degree burns. I also don't like the way
it seems to splatter the leaves from the top with poured. I like a
stream from a spout where I can pour under the leaves from the side of
the pot. We just did a kitchen remodel and my wife wouldn't even let
me put in an appliance electrical bay. Is Le Creuset the French
kitchen chain I see around here? I thought their kitchenware was
glazed cast iron or something like that.

Jim

Melinda wrote:
> Just a side comment Jim, don't let a non-stick pan boil down or it can give
> off some pretty toxic fumes. Best of luck looking for a kettle...I had a Le
> creuset but it sputtered very badly when I'd go to pour. They're expensive
> but not practical for me. I went to electric and have been satisfied so far.
>
> Melinda
>

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > It did strike me that the tinny ones would ruin a ceramic glasstop or
> > the plastic parts would melt if ever allowed to boil down for a length
> > of time. I do that about once a year.

Space Cowboy

When I went to college we didn't have electrical outlets in the dorms.
I learned to drink hot tea at college when I noticed no one was
standing in line at the hot water dispenser with the tea and coca
sachets. The coffee machine was usually more empty than not.

Jim

TeaDave wrote:
> Have you considered an electric kettle? I love the traditional kettle,
> but haven't used mine in a while since I moved into the dorms at
> college. My inexpensive, electric kettle has been serving me well, and
> doubling as a pot. It boils fast and I can use it anywhere I can find a
> plug. It does sputter a bit, and doesn't whistle (I miss that the
> most), but it seems to serve its purpose well.

Space Cowboy

That's a feature I like about my old kettle. I could sit it in the
sink and hit the broad spout with the faucet stream with little splash
on the kettle except for the initial dip under the stream. Okay
explain that contraption over the spout. Also is that a plastic
handle?

Jim

kuri wrote:
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message :

....I delete me...
> -the burnt by steam while I was trying to refill the big tetsubin I used
> briefly as a kettle. After that accident, I decided I'd refill kettles by
> the spout.
> So I have that :
> http://66.70.211.12/store/alessi_kettle_sapper.html
> It looks nicer than on the photo.
>
> I took the steel bottom for induction cooking. But you can get the copper
> bottom as you have a classical stove.
>
> So far, it is perfect. And it whistles like a boat, my neighbours think I
> have a yatch.
>
> Kuri

kuri

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message

> That's a feature I like about my old kettle. I could sit it in the
> sink and hit the broad spout with the faucet stream with little splash
> on the kettle except for the initial dip under the stream.

No splash at all, you can enter the tip of the faucet, or the spout of the
Brita pitcher, into the pot. The outside has not yet been wet. I weep it
with glass cleaning alcohol once a month.

> Okay
> explain that contraption over the spout.

The spout is closed by a double whistle. I have a spare piece to replace the
whistle after 2 years (they say it makes a nice sound during 2 yrs only) and
then after 2 other years I can order other spare pieces.
With one single hand you can hold the handle and keep the spout open with
one finger.

> Also is that a plastic
> handle?

It's that sort of thick plastic (resin ?) that doesn't melt and doesn't
become hot. They make the handles of dishes that can be baked in the same
material.

Kuri

Space Cowboy

A spout with a finger latch is one of my tea pet peeves. However
everyone I've seen recently has the latch. I know some of the latches
lock out of the way so supposedly you can fill the kettle with it
sitting in the sink but the ones I've seen would still be partially in
the way of a moderate faucet stream flow causing some splashback on the
kettle or you have to be deadon for a clean catch. When I go hunting
I'll take the old whistle and see if I can mate it with a new pot and
remove the latch if I can. There are just two clips which attach the
whistle to the spout. This is one of those cases where newer is not
better and not even cheaper because clips are cheaper than latches. I
can understand why your kettle sounds like a freight train with two
whistles. Does one act like a snooze alarm? I'm not complaining
because replaceable whistles are better than no replacement for mine if
it ever got lost but they should last forever if made of metal. I like
a smooth handle because the grip types were made for somebody's hands
besides mine. Again all the handles I see have grips and they seem
rough. For those who have expressed their condolences the old kettle
will assume it's place in the garden next to the only other kettle I've
ever had which was made of copper which also had a removeable whistle
which I never lost and it never failed. I can't believe I'm going to
have to pay more for that convenience if it exist at all. I've known
for some time this would be more than just buy another kettle.

Jim

kuri wrote:
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
>
> > That's a feature I like about my old kettle. I could sit it in the
> > sink and hit the broad spout with the faucet stream with little splash
> > on the kettle except for the initial dip under the stream.

> No splash at all, you can enter the tip of the faucet, or the spout of the
> Brita pitcher, into the pot. The outside has not yet been wet. I weep it
> with glass cleaning alcohol once a month.
>
> > Okay
> > explain that contraption over the spout.

> The spout is closed by a double whistle. I have a spare piece to replace the
> whistle after 2 years (they say it makes a nice sound during 2 yrs only) and
> then after 2 other years I can order other spare pieces.
> With one single hand you can hold the handle and keep the spout open with
> one finger.
>
> > Also is that a plastic
> > handle?

> It's that sort of thick plastic (resin ?) that doesn't melt and doesn't
> become hot. They make the handles of dishes that can be baked in the same
> material.
>
> Kuri

Desslok

Kuri--I think the Sapper kettle is one of the nicest ones and it will
certainly last you a good while. If you are design conscious and
thinking of switching to an electric, you might want to the Bosch
Porsche series electric kettle. I've had one now for a few months and
it is a pleasure to use.

Melinda

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

Is Le Creuset the French
> kitchen chain I see around here? I thought their kitchenware was
> glazed cast iron or something like that.
>
> Jim

Yeah, I'm not sure if they have a chain of stores but they have a line of
kitchenware. Most of their stuff is enameled cast iron (and I am happy with,
for instance, their soup pot and baked bean pot and...)- though I don't
think the kettle is iron underneath, it is enameled. It just sputters too
much...when I called them they claimed it was because I was filling it too
full, so I tried filling it less and it still did it...my best guess is it
was because the water would hit the hot metal wall on the inside when I'd go
to pour and it did something with the steam, somehow it didn't have anywhere
to go. It didn't seem to be worth it if I had to wait for the water to cool
down substantially just so I could pour it...makes it not very good for
black teas.

Melinda

Desslock

Jim--Sorry to hear about you losing your kettle and best of luck
finding a replacement.

The Sapper Kettle mentioned above is quite nice and very high quality.
If you are considering a higher quality electric kettle, I have been
using the Bosch Porsche electric Water Kettle TWK9110 for a couple on
months now and am quite happy with it so far.

Bodum Tea Kettle- Your cup of tea!!! MsWeb Coffee 0 06-09-2007 04:22 AM
Proofs of LORD Almighty GOD: Pastorio died on April Fool's day and diabetic neighbor FR's soul died today. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD[_8_] General Cooking 8 08-05-2007 03:19 AM
WSM vs. Kettle Craig Busch Barbecue 7 27-04-2005 01:01 AM
electric tea kettle Dmitri Tea 1 17-11-2003 03:02 AM
Kettle No More bonedaddy Barbecue 2 22-10-2003 06:05 PM