Judy Konopka

Default black substance on Yixing teapot

Last year, I bought some Yixing teapots from someone in Canada. His mother
kept Chinese herbs in each pot. The teapots are stamped on the bottom and
each one represents nature (a log, a rabbit nest with a rabbithandle, a
lotus, etc.) Each had some black stuff on the outside which I thought was
grime from sitting somewhere on a shelf. I cleaned off the pots as well as I
could and then thought maybe it was put there on purpose to show depth in
some of the reliefs. I cleaned one up and it almost looks worse. Has anyone
come across this?

Ryan Zimmerman

A friend of mine in Taiwan gave me one of his late fathers' teapots,
and it had a black substance on it that came off fairly easily. I
asked and he said it was to make it look older and therefore more
expensive. Kind of makes me hesitant to use it for tea... I worry
about lead and that sort of thing. I'd be curious if anybody else has
more information.

Michael Plant

Judy /25/05

> Last year, I bought some Yixing teapots from someone in Canada. His mother
> kept Chinese herbs in each pot. The teapots are stamped on the bottom and
> each one represents nature (a log, a rabbit nest with a rabbithandle, a
> lotus, etc.) Each had some black stuff on the outside which I thought was
> grime from sitting somewhere on a shelf. I cleaned off the pots as well as I
> could and then thought maybe it was put there on purpose to show depth in
> some of the reliefs. I cleaned one up and it almost looks worse. Has anyone
> come across this?

If you were able to clean the spots up as you describe, I suspect shoe
polish or its equivalent. You were not thinking of using these pots, were
you?

Michael

Judy Konopka

The black was put on to look older (as described by the previous post), or
give the clay more depth. It's only on the outside. Gee, I hope it's not
shoe polish...I have been using the pots!

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> Judy /25/05
>

>> Last year, I bought some Yixing teapots from someone in Canada. His
>> mother
>> kept Chinese herbs in each pot. The teapots are stamped on the bottom and
>> each one represents nature (a log, a rabbit nest with a rabbithandle, a
>> lotus, etc.) Each had some black stuff on the outside which I thought was
>> grime from sitting somewhere on a shelf. I cleaned off the pots as well
>> as I
>> could and then thought maybe it was put there on purpose to show depth in
>> some of the reliefs. I cleaned one up and it almost looks worse. Has
>> anyone
>> come across this?
>>

> If you were able to clean the spots up as you describe, I suspect shoe
> polish or its equivalent. You were not thinking of using these pots, were
> you?
>
> Michael

Michael Plant

Judy 9/26/05

> The black was put on to look older (as described by the previous post), or
> give the clay more depth. It's only on the outside. Gee, I hope it's not
> shoe polish...I have been using the pots!

Judy,

Here's the deal: Use a cheap new pot without spots a lot and it will indeed
get that old look. Stop using these faked up pots and treat yourself to a
cheap new one that you like. Anyway, that's my opinion of the matter. I am
quite sure btw that any pot that has purposely placed spots on the outside
that you can actually rub off -- not spots from use and tea -- than that pot
was not meant for use in the first place. Sorry to be the bringer of bad
news. Besides, others might disagree.

Michael

Where to buy Yixing clay teapot JJ Tea 1 27-11-2006 05:27 PM
New Yixing teapot - Help with characters? Dominic T. Tea 12 28-05-2006 09:09 AM
Yixing teapot question Dan S Tea 8 22-06-2005 04:41 AM
Using Yixing teapot all the day Benoit Tea 2 26-05-2005 11:34 PM
My first use of Yixing teapot Opother Tea 3 11-10-2003 04:38 PM