Space Cowboy

Default A tael of puerh

A vendor on Ebay is listing some Puer in taels and not grams. One of
the conversion sites gave 1.2oz or 37.5g for a tael. So is tael a
Chinese, British or IM unit? If Chinese how common is it? Or is it
some trading unit which I've never seen. It seems odd it isn't a
multiple of oz or gram like a catty which is 500g.

Thanks,
Jim

Lewis Perin

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> A vendor on Ebay is listing some Puer in taels and not grams. One of
> the conversion sites gave 1.2oz or 37.5g for a tael. So is tael a
> Chinese, British or IM unit?

Chinese.

> If Chinese how common is it? Or is it some trading unit which I've
> never seen. It seems odd it isn't a multiple of oz or gram like a
> catty which is 500g.

I've no idea how common this unit is in non-tea spheres, but it's
often used in 100- and 1000-tael sizes of compressed aged (or
age-able?) teas.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Mike Petro

Space Cowboy wrote:
> A vendor on Ebay is listing some Puer in taels and not grams. One of
> the conversion sites gave 1.2oz or 37.5g for a tael. So is tael a
> Chinese, British or IM unit? If Chinese how common is it? Or is it
> some trading unit which I've never seen. It seems odd it isn't a
> multiple of oz or gram like a catty which is 500g.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

When used in reference to puerh logs, or logs of other Black (not red)
teas, it is referring to an old form of Chinese money that was ~37.4 g
of silver. A 1000 tael log was called that because it weighed the same
amount as a 1000 tael bar of silver. These large logs were somewhat of
a standard in their day. In modern times it is just a nickname
corresponding to the size of the log although just roughly. You will
notice that Scott's 100 teal log is not twice as heavy as his (2kg)50
tael log. He also has one 100 tael log that weighs 5kg and another that
weighs 8kg. It has developed into little more than a marketing term,
kind of like a cord of wood, how many people actually measure off a
cord anymore? Yet a lot of people will call their dumptruck load a
"cord".

The best one I have ever had was from a 1000 tael log and was actually
a black tea not a puerh, the taste was very buttery and indeed was one
of the best teas I have ever drank.

http://www.charm.ru/library/shanghaiforeign.htm

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

Alex Chaihorsky

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>A vendor on Ebay is listing some Puer in taels and not grams. One of
> the conversion sites gave 1.2oz or 37.5g for a tael. So is tael a
> Chinese, British or IM unit? If Chinese how common is it? Or is it
> some trading unit which I've never seen. It seems odd it isn't a
> multiple of oz or gram like a catty which is 500g.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Tael in Mainland China equals 10 quan = 37.5 g (that is why many puerh cakes
weight 375 g = 10 tael)
In Hong Kong I think its 37.8 g.
When you order shark fin soup in a good restorant they always say in the
menu how many taels of dry fin was used.
Also they use tael in traditional pharmacies.

Sasha.

Alex Chaihorsky

I found another surprisingly good and full explanation of tael. It also
shows the character (same as Liang - "two or pair" in contemporary
mandarin).
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Tael

I knew it was different in different parts of China, and there are several
variaties of it.
So, basically tael is a Chinese ounce. But 37.5 is what is used in Chinese
pharmacies and teashops today.

Sasha.

> Tael in Mainland China equals 10 quan = 37.5 g (that is why many puerh
> cakes weight 375 g = 10 tael)
> In Hong Kong I think its 37.8 g.
> When you order shark fin soup in a good restorant they always say in the
> menu how many taels of dry fin was used.
> Also they use tael in traditional pharmacies.
>

> Sasha.

Ozzy

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in
oups.com:

> A vendor on Ebay is listing some Puer in taels and not grams. One of
> the conversion sites gave 1.2oz or 37.5g for a tael. So is tael a
> Chinese, British or IM unit? If Chinese how common is it? Or is it
> some trading unit which I've never seen. It seems odd it isn't a
> multiple of oz or gram like a catty which is 500g.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Tael is Chinese, a very old, varying weight & denomination of money both
(gold/silver in that weight). See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tael>, by
which a tael would be 37.5 or 37.8 g, depending on the location of the
vendor.

A catty is roughly half a kilo (now), but I think it's largely a
coincidence, because the catty (Jin) as a weight goes back to the Chou
period (see <http://www.charm.ru/library/faq006.htm>, "Gold scales in the
ancient China"

HTH, Ozzy

Space Cowboy

Thanks to everyone for their tall taels. Also if you take the 1.2oz
silver weight conversion and multiply by ten taels you get the also
common 12oz/340g beengs even though you are getting short changed with
this conversion rate. Since everyone is on a roll now one store in
Chinatown has the qizi bundles lined up like bowling balls on a bottom
shelf. Why the seemingly popular of shipment in seven pieces? I'll be
sure to double check that vendor on Ebay and make sure what he means by
a tael. How do you drank all of a 1000 tael buttery flavored black tea
log? Those bundles look convenient for hanging. So should I slit the
bamboo wrapping which seems tight or leave as is. On my recent trip to
the South I'm sitting at a truck stop eating supper next too a trucker
at the counter. Somehow we somehow started talking about smoke house
restaurants and their seemingly disappearance. So he list all the ones
he knew in Texas,Oklahoma,Arkansas which you could count on two
fingers. If there was one near by I'd hang a few bundles in their
shed. You can buy smoke house meats but where are the smoke houses?

Jim

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >A vendor on Ebay is listing some Puer in taels and not grams. One of
> > the conversion sites gave 1.2oz or 37.5g for a tael. So is tael a
> > Chinese, British or IM unit? If Chinese how common is it? Or is it
> > some trading unit which I've never seen. It seems odd it isn't a
> > multiple of oz or gram like a catty which is 500g.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim
> >

> Tael in Mainland China equals 10 quan = 37.5 g (that is why many puerh cakes
> weight 375 g = 10 tael)
> In Hong Kong I think its 37.8 g.
> When you order shark fin soup in a good restorant they always say in the
> menu how many taels of dry fin was used.
> Also they use tael in traditional pharmacies.
>

> Sasha.

Mike Petro

Space Cowboy wrote:
> Since everyone is on a roll now one store in
> Chinatown has the qizi bundles lined up like bowling balls on a bottom
> shelf. Why the seemingly popular of shipment in seven pieces?

Well for one thing thats the way it is packaged at the factories, qizi
are the defacto standard, boxs are the exception. There are 7 cakes to
a qizi and 6 qizi to a case. Usually the loose ones you see in a store,
that are not individually boxed, were originally in these qizi packages
and simply unwrapped before going on the shelf. They also ship much
better in the qizi with less damage to the flimsy paper wrappers.

> How do you drank all of a 1000 tael buttery flavored black tea
> log?

I didnt drink the whole thing, I only got a portion of one from David
Hoffman. His price was much much higher than Scott's. I have a picture
of a girl standing next to a 1000 tael log and looking down into it.
The log is about the diameter of her neck and is as tall as her
shoulders.

I have bought several of the different 100 tael and 50 tael ones from
Scott and this one was quite different. Here are two Japanese links
that clearly show the type of 1000 tael log I am talking about made
from black tea.

http://www.wizard-jp.com/online/chin...00/index2.html
http://www.wizard-jp.com/online/chin...000/index.html

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

Livio Zanini

"Alex Chaihorsky" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I found another surprisingly good and full explanation of tael. It also
> shows the character (same as Liang - "two or pair" in contemporary
> mandarin).
> http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Tael
>
> I knew it was different in different parts of China, and there are several
> variaties of it.
> So, basically tael is a Chinese ounce. But 37.5 is what is used in Chinese
> pharmacies and teashops today.
>
> Sasha.

I just would like to add something to the very informative contents of the
nationmaster encyclopedia.

The English word "tael" seems to come from Malay weight unit "tahil", maybe
from Hindy "tolaa", and was adopted also for calling the "liang" used by
Chinese traders.

The value of a "liang" in China underwent many changes in the course of
time. It was 1/16 of a "jin". In the Ming dynasty it was 36.9 grams, in the
Qing it was 37.3 g. With the first republic it was 31.25 g.

In the P. R. of China in 1959 they modified the rate between "jin" and
"liang", changing the name in "shijin" (market jin) and "shiliang" (market
liang), with 1 shijin (500 g) = 10 shiliang. In continentali China the word
"liang" is still commonly used with meaning of "shiliang", corresponding to
50 g.

In Taiwan the "jin" is 600 g, and the "liang" is still 1/16 of 1
"jin", corresponding to 37.5 g. While "jin" is TW still commonly
used, "liang" is used only for gold and medicines.

Dog Ma 1

Livio Zanini wrote:
> In Taiwan the "jin" is 600 g, and the "liang" is still 1/16 of 1
> "jin", corresponding to 37.5 g. While "jin" is TW still commonly
> used, "liang" is used only for gold and medicines.

Interesting parallel with Western measures. As I'm sure everyone here knows,
a pound of feathers is actually heavier than a pound of gold. In troy units,
used mainly for precious metals, a pound is 12 ounces of 480 grains each,
for 5760 grains. Almost everything else is measured in avoirdupois, where a
pound is 16 ounces of 437.5 grains each, for 7000 grains.

-DM

Scott Dorsey

In article >,
Dog Ma 1 (reply w/o spam)> wrote:
>Livio Zanini wrote:
>> In Taiwan the "jin" is 600 g, and the "liang" is still 1/16 of 1
>> "jin", corresponding to 37.5 g. While "jin" is TW still commonly
>> used, "liang" is used only for gold and medicines.

>Interesting parallel with Western measures. As I'm sure everyone here knows,
>a pound of feathers is actually heavier than a pound of gold. In troy units,
>used mainly for precious metals, a pound is 12 ounces of 480 grains each,
>for 5760 grains. Almost everything else is measured in avoirdupois, where a
>pound is 16 ounces of 437.5 grains each, for 7000 grains.

It gets worse. Ask Americans, Western Europeans, and Eastern Europeans
how many watts are in a horsepower, and you'll get three different answers.
They don't differ by much, but they differ enough to make you scratch your
head.
--scott
Alex Chaihorsky

Well, indeed you cannot compare a Mustang, an Irish draft and an Akhaltekin
))))))

Sasha.

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Dog Ma 1 (reply w/o spam)> wrote:
>>Livio Zanini wrote:
>>> In Taiwan the "jin" is 600 g, and the "liang" is still 1/16 of 1
>>> "jin", corresponding to 37.5 g. While "jin" is TW still commonly
>>> used, "liang" is used only for gold and medicines.

>>Interesting parallel with Western measures. As I'm sure everyone here
>>knows,
>>a pound of feathers is actually heavier than a pound of gold. In troy
>>units,
>>used mainly for precious metals, a pound is 12 ounces of 480 grains each,
>>for 5760 grains. Almost everything else is measured in avoirdupois, where
>>pound is 16 ounces of 437.5 grains each, for 7000 grains.

> It gets worse. Ask Americans, Western Europeans, and Eastern Europeans
> how many watts are in a horsepower, and you'll get three different
> answers.
> They don't differ by much, but they differ enough to make you scratch your
> head.
> --scott

Livio Zanini

"Scott Dorsey" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >,
> Dog Ma 1 (reply w/o spam)> wrote:
> >Livio Zanini wrote:
> >> In Taiwan the "jin" is 600 g, and the "liang" is still 1/16 of 1
> >> "jin", corresponding to 37.5 g. While "jin" is TW still commonly
> >> used, "liang" is used only for gold and medicines.

> >Interesting parallel with Western measures. As I'm sure everyone here

knows,
> >a pound of feathers is actually heavier than a pound of gold. In troy

units,
> >used mainly for precious metals, a pound is 12 ounces of 480 grains each,
> >for 5760 grains. Almost everything else is measured in avoirdupois, where

> >pound is 16 ounces of 437.5 grains each, for 7000 grains.

> It gets worse. Ask Americans, Western Europeans, and Eastern Europeans
> how many watts are in a horsepower, and you'll get three different

answers.
> They don't differ by much, but they differ enough to make you scratch your
> head.
> --scott

I think the only difference one should consider is that if you go to a tea
shop in PRC and ask for a "liang" of tea they will give you 50 g, while in
HK and TW they might give you 37.xxx grams. The difference is still
considerable.

What tael lies therein? DogMa Tea 6 13-10-2008 08:22 PM
A tea tael in SF Space Cowboy Tea 0 25-09-2007 02:55 PM
Try Puerh Jimmie Houchin Tea 6 02-09-2005 08:49 PM
Loose green puerh and pressed teas that are not puerh. Mike Petro Tea 2 24-05-2005 12:31 PM
Poo Poo Puerh Mike Petro Tea 40 12-03-2004 01:44 AM