Jimmie Houchin

Default Try Puerh

Hello,

I am wanting to try some Puerh. I am also exploring some green teas.

I was browsing StashTea and looking at their greens.

I happened to see some reasonably affordable Puerhs.
ie: low entry point.

Would the Yamamotoyama puerhs at StashTea be a reasonable way to sample
puerh to learn whether or not I like Puerh?

I've never bought from StashTea. Is it a reasonable source for a variety
of teas?

Thanks.

Jimmie
Mike Petro

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:01:12 -0500, Jimmie Houchin
> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am wanting to try some Puerh. I am also exploring some green teas.
>
>I was browsing StashTea and looking at their greens.
>
>I happened to see some reasonably affordable Puerhs.
>ie: low entry point.
>
>Would the Yamamotoyama puerhs at StashTea be a reasonable way to sample
>puerh to learn whether or not I like Puerh?
>
>I've never bought from StashTea. Is it a reasonable source for a variety
>of teas?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jimmie

Hi Jimmie,

The selection you mention is indeed low in price but they tell us
little about the tea itself. Stash is not really a serious source of
puerh and this is a typical case of a vendor selling the "sizzle" and
not the tea. Besides, puerh "teabags" really defeat the spirit of
puerh IMHO.

While slightly more expensive I would recommend the $22 SAM-12 sampler
at http://www.holymtn.com/tea/t-samplers.htm or the $7 Ancient Golden
Tuo Cha from
http://www.rishi-tea.com/store/detai...G=Pu%2Derh+Tea
or this $5 silver tip puerh sample from
http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.p...duc ts_id=209

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
"In this work, when it shall be found that much is omitted, let it not be forgotten that much likewise is performed."
Samuel Johnson, 1775, upon finishing his dictionary.

Jimmie,

My discovery of Pu Er was a religious experience ... in that I knew
this flavour was out there somewhere, I was just waiting to find it ...
I think I was surprised to actually come across it in tea rather than
some other bev or food.

And saying that, it was ultra cheap stuff from a chinese supermarket I
tasted. If you like it, you like it : better stuff is definitely
better, but it's a flavour. (I won't compare it to whisky - or vodka -
where poor stuff is not the same thing).

Saying that, I'm a 'cooked' man, not a 'raw' man which is possibly less
accommodating?

But drink, and if you hate it, try it again in two years.

Regards, The Immoral Mr Teas, (recently back from Yunnan)

But rereading Mike's post ... I've NEVER EVER had a pleasant puer from
a teabag ... even chilled in a can is MUCH better! Find some cheap
loose, or buy a sample, but note you may well like the aged variety and
not (for example) silver tip - or vice versa

But try green and aged - my point is it doesn't have to be expensive to
see if you like it.

Paris, but I meant more vaguely, 'the West'.

Which brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask our folks for a
long time ... has anyone ever tasted or even seen the Japanese 'Ama
Cha' that Palais des Thes pretends to sell. I've been asking for over
ten years now, and they NEVER have any in!

And I should have perhaps clarified : a PLEASANT religious experience

Jimmie Houchin

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 06:52:47 -0400, Mike Petro > wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:01:12 -0500, Jimmie Houchin
> wrote:

[snip original message)
>Hi Jimmie,
>
>The selection you mention is indeed low in price but they tell us
>little about the tea itself. Stash is not really a serious source of
>puerh and this is a typical case of a vendor selling the "sizzle" and
>not the tea. Besides, puerh "teabags" really defeat the spirit of
>puerh IMHO.
>
>While slightly more expensive I would recommend the $22 SAM-12 sampler
>at http://www.holymtn.com/tea/t-samplers.htm or the $7 Ancient Golden
>Tuo Cha from
>http://www.rishi-tea.com/store/detai...G=Pu%2Derh+Tea
>or this $5 silver tip puerh sample from
>http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.p...duc ts_id=209
>
>Mike Petro
>http://www.pu-erh.net

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

My apologies in the delay of the reply. Life just kind of caught up with me.

I considered your sampler suggestion, but then I'm such a bargain guy, I just
couldn't. Its hard enough looking at the 1/4 lb. item when I can see the 1 lb.
price. Comes from buying items in bulk for so many years.

My biggest concern wasn't so much the price as having so much tea that I may or
may not like. I wasn't considering anything as awful as the Pu in bags. But
rather the 100g package at Stash.

Oh well. I figure it can't be any worse than my experience with Mate. I bought a
half-a-dozen or so varieties. Still got a good part of it. Neither I, nor my
wife, nor my 9 children liked it much. Hopefully at least a portion of us will
like the Puerh and the Greens.

Anyway, I bought a fair amount of Pu-erh. Not a great variety. I hope I like it.

Let me know if this will at least give me an honest try.

http://www.holymtn.com/tea/greentea.htm
G-YH-1a Young Hyson, 1/4 lb. Price: $4
G-DW-1a Dragon Well (Lung Ching), 1/4 lb. Price: $8

http://www.holymtn.com/tea/pu-erhtea.htm
P-TCS-2a High Grade Pu-erh Tuocha "Camel Breath", 1/4 lb. Price: $12
P-TMP-1a Tibetan Mushroom Pu-erh, 250g Price: $20/mushroom
P-TMP-2a Green Tibetan Mushroom Pu-erh, 250g Price: $20/mushroom

So I totalled at $64. Not to bad. Hopefully it will be a good experience.

One question about the Puerhs.

From reading this group it seems that one should get multiple steepings out of a
serving of Puerh.

If I take Pu to work. Drink 1 or maybe 2 infusions per serving (cup).
If I took the used and wet leaves home after work. Would they still be suitable
or desirable for the subsequent infusions?

Reason I ask is that one of my interest in teas is the caffeine.
Besides its being a very enjoyable beverage. However, my wife, who also enjoys
teas, does not want the caffeine. So I was hoping that if such a situation still
yields a good cup of Puerh, that maybe she (and my children) could enjoy the
subsequent infusions.

Also apply the above question to the green teas?

Are their teas which would not do well as such?
(providing Puerh and the greens do)

Any way, thank you Mike (and Mr. Teas) for your replies.
And Mike thanks for your website.
Just looked at your briefcase. Wow!

Jimmie

Teavana and Puerh Aaron W. Hsu Tea 1 24-01-2013 12:44 AM
Loose green puerh and pressed teas that are not puerh. Mike Petro Tea 2 24-05-2005 12:31 PM
Is Puerh tea? crymad Tea 51 10-09-2004 03:04 PM
Poo Poo Puerh Mike Petro Tea 40 12-03-2004 01:44 AM
puerh.net Tom Tea 6 22-02-2004 06:32 PM