Joseph Kubera

Default AOL and newsgroups

I have tried posting messages recently, and they are not showing up. Today I
received a message from AOL that they are discontinuing newsgroup service, so
that could be the reason. I will have to find another way to access
newsgroups.

Let's see if this one shows up.

Joe Kubera
Derek

On 24 Jan 2005 18:26:17 GMT, Joseph Kubera wrote:

> I have tried posting messages recently, and they are not showing up. Today I
> received a message from AOL that they are discontinuing newsgroup service, so
> that could be the reason. I will have to find another way to access
> newsgroups.
>
> Let's see if this one shows up.
>
> Joe Kubera

www.individual.net

Free service, spam filtered, no binaries, use the newsreader of your
choice.

--
Derek

"...we know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. My
concern is that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side." --
Abraham Lincoln
Mike Boucher

Derek wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2005 18:26:17 GMT, Joseph Kubera wrote:
>

>>I have tried posting messages recently, and they are not showing up. Today I
>>received a message from AOL that they are discontinuing newsgroup service, so
>>that could be the reason. I will have to find another way to access
>>newsgroups.
>>
>>Let's see if this one shows up.
>>
>>Joe Kubera

> www.individual.net
>
> Free service, spam filtered, no binaries, use the newsreader of your
> choice.

I'll second www.individual.net Very fast server.
I use it with Thunderbird as the reader. It is free and works great.

Mike
Space Cowboy

I use the Google Groups Usenet Portal: http://groups.google.com
You'll have to feel you way around to get the hang of it since it
doesn't behave exactly like a newsreader. Three suggestions 1: Sort
rec.food.drink.tea by date so most recent threads sort to top 2: Use
such as Space Cowboy when you first do a post. You'll need a valid
email address to sign up. My current ISP never had newsgroup service
and if they did I'd be using Google Usenet with the latest enhancement
of immediate rollups. Google filters all binaries in a post but not
the groups perse. There are commerical newsgroup services on the
Internet for about $5/month which carries everything.

Jim

Joseph Kubera wrote:
> I have tried posting messages recently, and they are not showing up.

Today I
> received a message from AOL that they are discontinuing newsgroup

service, so
> that could be the reason. I will have to find another way to access
> newsgroups.
>
> Let's see if this one shows up.
>
> Joe Kubera

Derek

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:28:19 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

> On 24 Jan 2005 18:26:17 GMT, (Joseph Kubera) wrote:
>
>>I have tried posting messages recently, and they are not showing up. Today I
>>received a message from AOL that they are discontinuing newsgroup service, so
>>that could be the reason. I will have to find another way to access
>>newsgroups.
>>
>>Let's see if this one shows up.
>>
>>Joe Kubera

> Do you have any friends that use newsgroups nearby that perhaps use a
> different ISP? If they have broadband or something, it's more than
> likely that they don't use newsgroups, so you could just ask them if
> you could borrow their access. Most only require you having a
> newsgroup reader and a news-server address.

Better yet - get them to set up a wireless network and tap into it.

> I mean, it really wouldn't put much of a drain on their account and
> most ISPs really don't monitor IP address of newsgroup users; they
> probably wouldn't care either way.

I'm not so sure about that. All of the ISP's I have used limit access
to only members of their network. For example, my DSL ISP at home
won't let me access their newsservers when I'm on the campus network,
and vice versa.

This is why I signed on with Individual.net. I can take my laptop
anywhere and still access newsgroups.

--
Derek

Before you bad mouth somebody for being "puritanical," keep in mind
that the Puritans believed that conception couldn't happen unless the
woman was pleasured in the process.
Mydnight

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:34:57 -0600, Derek > wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:28:19 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

>This is why I signed on with Individual.net. I can take my laptop
>anywhere and still access newsgroups.

hm. Ya, I think you're right....I forgot about that one.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Derek

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:43:10 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:34:57 -0600, Derek > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:28:19 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

>>This is why I signed on with Individual.net. I can take my laptop
>>anywhere and still access newsgroups.

> hm. Ya, I think you're right....I forgot about that one.

Of course, I'm right. I'm always right...

.... except when I'm left. Oh, we weren't talking about politics?

--
Derek

If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all those things from ACME,
why didn't he just order a pizza?
Derek

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:43:10 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:34:57 -0600, Derek > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:28:19 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

>>This is why I signed on with Individual.net. I can take my laptop
>>anywhere and still access newsgroups.

> hm. Ya, I think you're right....I forgot about that one.

Of course, I'm right. I'm always right...

.... except when I'm left. Oh, we weren't talking about politics?

--
Derek

If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all those things from ACME,
why didn't he just order a pizza?
Mydnight

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:50:38 -0600, Derek > wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:43:10 GMT, Mydnight wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:34:57 -0600, Derek > wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:28:19 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

>>>This is why I signed on with Individual.net. I can take my laptop
>>>anywhere and still access newsgroups.

>> hm. Ya, I think you're right....I forgot about that one.

>Of course, I'm right. I'm always right...
>
>... except when I'm left. Oh, we weren't talking about politics?

There are still a few ISPs that don't. We have a local one here
called Cox, cable, that doesn't need to be on the network. I used to
use an AOL server a long time ago...but I know times have changed and
so have security measures. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Derek

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:41:15 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:50:38 -0600, Derek > wrote:

>>> hm. Ya, I think you're right....I forgot about that one.

>>Of course, I'm right. I'm always right...
>>
>>... except when I'm left. Oh, we weren't talking about politics?

> There are still a few ISPs that don't. We have a local one here
> called Cox, cable, that doesn't need to be on the network. I used to
> use an AOL server a long time ago...but I know times have changed and
> so have security measures. heh.

Oh, I'm sure there are still ISP's that don't block access for
"non-members." But I'd hazard that this number decreases a little each
week.

When I was an undergraduate in Kentucky, we actually used the NNTP
servers at the University of Minnesota. But now, UMN doesn't let me
access the servers unless I use my modem or I am on campus.

--
Derek

"In the spirit of diversity, anyone offering food for thought must
also provide a vegetarian version, as well as low-carb, low fat, and
Kosher versions." -- Glasbergen
Mydnight

>When I was an undergraduate in Kentucky, we actually used the NNTP
>servers at the University of Minnesota. But now, UMN doesn't let me
>access the servers unless I use my modem or I am on campus.

haha, yeah. there was one point where we would have to actually
telnet in...but then they blocked it.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Derek

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 00:55:12 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

>>When I was an undergraduate in Kentucky, we actually used the NNTP
>>servers at the University of Minnesota. But now, UMN doesn't let me
>>access the servers unless I use my modem or I am on campus.

> haha, yeah. there was one point where we would have to actually
> telnet in...but then they blocked it.

Actually, access when I was an undergraduate was through the central
computing mainframe. It was all telnet.

--
Derek

For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of
them.
Lewis Perin

Derek > writes:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 00:55:12 GMT, Mydnight wrote:
>

> >>When I was an undergraduate in Kentucky, we actually used the NNTP
> >>servers at the University of Minnesota. But now, UMN doesn't let me
> >>access the servers unless I use my modem or I am on campus.

> > haha, yeah. there was one point where we would have to actually
> > telnet in...but then they blocked it.

> Actually, access when I was an undergraduate was through the central
> computing mainframe. It was all telnet.

Well, some of us still use telnet^H^H^H^H^H^HSSH.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Derek

On 25 Jan 2005 21:47:36 -0500, Lewis Perin wrote:

> Derek > writes:

>>> haha, yeah. there was one point where we would have to actually
>>> telnet in...but then they blocked it.

>> Actually, access when I was an undergraduate was through the central
>> computing mainframe. It was all telnet.

> Well, some of us still use telnet^H^H^H^H^H^HSSH.

Yes, well. The telnet interface to the university news server is
horrible. For email, however, PINE is pretty darned good.

It's still better than the mediocre webmail system they've
implemented.

--
Derek

Some people dream of success, while other people live to crush those
dreams.

Mydnight

i miss pine. I would use it more than hotmail.

my uni locked pine as well, and made it so you could only use your
pop3 account on their webmail servers...wouldn't let you put it in
Eudora or anything.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Derek

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:57:45 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

> i miss pine. I would use it more than hotmail.

Somedays, I miss it. Somedays, I wish there was a stand-alone version
that I could use from home with whatever account I chose.

> my uni locked pine as well, and made it so you could only use your
> pop3 account on their webmail servers...wouldn't let you put it in
> Eudora or anything.

Oh, they haven't locked PINE. I can still access it through telnet.
But they now require an SSH terminal emulator, so where I once could
access my email through the basic Windows telnet client from anywhere,
now I have to have a special program. BAH!

As for the webmail, they haven't limited it. I actually access my
university email through Thunderbird, but I can also access it through
the webmail system. Fortunately, UMN didn't make it an "either/or"
situation.

But they're on a security kick. They've added secure login for email,
and now they require secure FTP. This means my existing FTP client,
which I actually paid good money for, won't work and I "get" to use
the free client they recommend.

I understand the need for security, but that doesn't mean I can't be
frustrated by the process.

--
Derek

"It's not easy being green, but it's really easy being on Star Trek."
-- Bobbi Sue Luther, on her role as an Orion slave girl for Star Trek:
Enterprise
Mydnight

I have a copy of flashfxp if you want it. It does SSL.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Derek

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:00:52 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

> I have a copy of flashfxp if you want it. It does SSL.

Thanks, but I'll pass.

My current FTP client supports SSL and SSH connections. SFTP is more
than just SSL or SSH, though. It's a different protocol.

The guy who wrote the FTP client I currently used has suggested
another client, WebDrive, which functions similarly to Internet
Neighborhood. In the mean time, I guess the free software will do.

--
Derek

Some people dream of success, while other people live to crush those
dreams.

newsgroups [email protected] General Cooking 18 21-05-2009 01:28 AM
New to Newsgroups aksinglemom Baking 2 14-03-2004 03:02 PM
Which appropriate newsgroups Dee Randall Baking 2 08-12-2003 06:43 PM
RE : What other newsgroups do you like ? Bigbazza General Cooking 0 07-10-2003 09:31 AM
what other newsgroups do you like? JLove98905 General Cooking 35 07-10-2003 09:22 AM