Melinda

Default Reply to "Please help identify ring shaped tea"

Hi, I had to make a new subject heading because Google is so slow to
show up recent messages on its service and that's what I use to
post..grr...

Anyway Ulf, the webpage for Ten Fu tea which is what I think I read on
the bag is at http://www.tentea.com/tenfuprlolet.html I looked and
could not find the tea of which you showed a picture but I didn't look
completely. Are you positive it's an oolong? It looks like a specialty
white or green to me, just from looking at the color. If I didn't know
anything I'd even think it was a presentation jasmine but of course
you'd know if it were a jasmine. Anyway, good luck with that and if I
learn anymore I'll post.

Melinda
Alex Chaihorsky

I am pretty sure this is NOT an oolong. Usually ring-shaped teas are green,
I have seen several varieties including (once) a Bi Luo Chun.
The ring-wrapping is not that rare for high-end green teas.

Sasha.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi, I had to make a new subject heading because Google is so slow to
> show up recent messages on its service and that's what I use to
> post..grr...
>
> Anyway Ulf, the webpage for Ten Fu tea which is what I think I read on
> the bag is at http://www.tentea.com/tenfuprlolet.html I looked and
> could not find the tea of which you showed a picture but I didn't look
> completely. Are you positive it's an oolong? It looks like a specialty
> white or green to me, just from looking at the color. If I didn't know
> anything I'd even think it was a presentation jasmine but of course
> you'd know if it were a jasmine. Anyway, good luck with that and if I
> learn anymore I'll post.
>
> Melinda

Alex Chaihorsky

I am pretty sure this is NOT an oolong. Usually ring-shaped teas are green,
I have seen several varieties including (once) a Bi Luo Chun.
The ring-wrapping is not that rare for high-end green teas.

Sasha.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi, I had to make a new subject heading because Google is so slow to
> show up recent messages on its service and that's what I use to
> post..grr...
>
> Anyway Ulf, the webpage for Ten Fu tea which is what I think I read on
> the bag is at http://www.tentea.com/tenfuprlolet.html I looked and
> could not find the tea of which you showed a picture but I didn't look
> completely. Are you positive it's an oolong? It looks like a specialty
> white or green to me, just from looking at the color. If I didn't know
> anything I'd even think it was a presentation jasmine but of course
> you'd know if it were a jasmine. Anyway, good luck with that and if I
> learn anymore I'll post.
>
> Melinda

Ulf Jonsson

Thanks for the advices and info

Compared to the pearl tea it has no Jasmine nose to it but a fresh cut gras
smell (whatever that translate to in Tea Lingo). It makes perfect sense that
it is a green tea rather than an Oolong. However my Mother think that Oolong
means a higher quality so I will let it stay with that not to make her
disapointed. It would however be nice to find a similar tea. I think the
http://www.stashtea.com/w-111244.htm might be it.

Ulf
..

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi, I had to make a new subject heading because Google is so slow to
> show up recent messages on its service and that's what I use to
> post..grr...
>
> Anyway Ulf, the webpage for Ten Fu tea which is what I think I read on
> the bag is at http://www.tentea.com/tenfuprlolet.html I looked and
> could not find the tea of which you showed a picture but I didn't look
> completely. Are you positive it's an oolong? It looks like a specialty
> white or green to me, just from looking at the color. If I didn't know
> anything I'd even think it was a presentation jasmine but of course
> you'd know if it were a jasmine. Anyway, good luck with that and if I
> learn anymore I'll post.
>
> Melinda

Ulf Jonsson

I think it is quite clear now that it is a good quality green tea. It shares
a lot with the pearl Jasmine but without the Jasmine smell and taste. It
also have more body to it but my limited reference frame limits my ability
to describe it. Anyway, I got my shipment from Specialteas.com today so I
got my first cup of Oolong. It really opened my mind on that there is a lot
of work to do to figure this out. In my college years I collected beers and
it tooks some years to get a good knowledge. (favorite #1 is Westveleteren,
a trapist from the French-Belgian border), I never been able to get a solid
knowledge about wines, mainly due to the cost involved. The beauty of teas
is the affordability. The box full of samples I got in the mail today was
less than a good bottle of wine!!!

I was thinking of buying a basic Gong Fu set. I don't want to spend to much
money. I was looking at some low cost sets
http://www.enjoyingtea.com/stgoteaset.html
ore something like
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...56&ssPage Nam
e=STRK:MEWA:IT Are they to cheap to be useful?

Am I better off saving my money and use a Gaiwan until I can buy a good set?
Should I go to Chinatown in Boston or NYC or is it resonable to just pick
one on the net?

I ordered a Gaiwan from Ebay
&tc=photo that looked nice and also one from
http://funalliance.com/tea/htm/gaiwan/870100128.htm

Thanks!!

Ulf

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi, I had to make a new subject heading because Google is so slow to
> show up recent messages on its service and that's what I use to
> post..grr...
>
> Anyway Ulf, the webpage for Ten Fu tea which is what I think I read on
> the bag is at http://www.tentea.com/tenfuprlolet.html I looked and
> could not find the tea of which you showed a picture but I didn't look
> completely. Are you positive it's an oolong? It looks like a specialty
> white or green to me, just from looking at the color. If I didn't know
> anything I'd even think it was a presentation jasmine but of course
> you'd know if it were a jasmine. Anyway, good luck with that and if I
> learn anymore I'll post.
>
> Melinda

Ulf Jonsson

[...]

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi, I had to make a new subject heading because Google is so slow to
> show up recent messages on its service and that's what I use to
> post..grr...
>
> Anyway Ulf, the webpage for Ten Fu tea which is what I think I read on
> the bag is at http://www.tentea.com/tenfuprlolet.html I looked and
> could not find the tea of which you showed a picture but I didn't look
> completely. Are you positive it's an oolong? It looks like a specialty
> white or green to me, just from looking at the color. If I didn't know
> anything I'd even think it was a presentation jasmine but of course
> you'd know if it were a jasmine. Anyway, good luck with that and if I
> learn anymore I'll post.
>
> Melinda

Space Cowboy

In my Chinatown I've notice gongfu sets with bamboo sink tray for $49.
Unfortunatly none of them have the oddsize smelling cup. Small
gaiwans with lid inside rim are $5. I think self service gaiwans are
more fun than waiting on someone else.

Jim

"Ulf Jonsson" > wrote in message news:<U9Dkd.323$IC3.199@lakeread02>...

> Am I better off saving my money and use a Gaiwan until I can buy a good set?
> Should I go to Chinatown in Boston or NYC or is it resonable to just pick
> one on the net?

spiral-shaped green tea Claudio Telmon Tea 24 09-02-2008 05:17 AM
OT Movies That Shaped Your Life cybercat General Cooking 97 20-07-2007 10:10 PM
HEART SHAPED PIZZAS Duckie ® Recipes 0 22-06-2005 01:31 AM
Another reply to ring shaped tea Melinda Tea 9 09-11-2004 09:14 AM
Please help identify ring shaped green tea Ulf Jonsson Tea 3 08-11-2004 11:22 PM