rderieux

Default Newbie Help

Hi all!!

I am new to loose teas and bought a couple of things at the Teavana in
the Mall of America. They are nice but later found that they were
very expensive compared to online sources.

Could you help a newbie with online store recommendations (I have used
TenRen and a place called Special Teas) and types of teas to try.

So far I have tried Organic Jasmine Pearl (which I have been drinking
for a LONG time but the aroma got to me and now it is only for when
I'm in the mood), Temple of Heaven Gunpowder, Green Dragon Oolong
(from Tao of Tea - talk about unnecesarily expensive), Kenya Black
(from Teavana) and Chun Mei (from Teavana - does anyone have info on
this green tea?) and Genmaicha (from Teavana and just bought some from
TenRen).

I am running out of the Oolong and want to get another Formosa like
the Gren Dragon but hopefully not as expensive - any recommendations.

Thanks, Rene'
Derek

On 29 Oct 2004 08:05:26 -0700, rderieux wrote:

> Hi all!!
>
> I am new to loose teas and bought a couple of things at the Teavana in
> the Mall of America. They are nice but later found that they were
> very expensive compared to online sources.

Yes, they are very expensive. They have to be to cover the rent at MOA.

> Could you help a newbie with online store recommendations (I have used
> TenRen and a place called Special Teas) and types of teas to try.
>
> So far I have tried Organic Jasmine Pearl (which I have been drinking
> for a LONG time but the aroma got to me and now it is only for when
> I'm in the mood), Temple of Heaven Gunpowder, Green Dragon Oolong
> (from Tao of Tea - talk about unnecesarily expensive), Kenya Black
> (from Teavana) and Chun Mei (from Teavana - does anyone have info on
> this green tea?) and Genmaicha (from Teavana and just bought some from
> TenRen).
>
> I am running out of the Oolong and want to get another Formosa like
> the Gren Dragon but hopefully not as expensive - any recommendations.
>
> Thanks, Rene'

René,

Are you a local or were you just traveling through Minneapolis?

If you're a local, you might try La Société du Thé on Lyndale Ave
(www.teashop.us). I've always found Tony's prices to be pretty reasonable.
Plus there's the added advantage of being able to actually check out the
teas before you buy them.

--
Derek

"You'd be amazed at the number of people who want to introduce themselves
to you in the men's room. It's the most bizarre part of this entire thing."
- Senator John F. Kerry, speaking on "The Daily Show" about life as a
presidential candidate.
RJP

rderieux wrote:

> Could you help a newbie with online store recommendations (I have used
> TenRen and a place called Special Teas) and types of teas to try.

Special Teas is good. The online vendor I use the most, though, is
Upton (www.uptontea.com). They are the largest that I know of, and
stock over 300 teas.

> I am running out of the Oolong and want to get another Formosa like
> the Gren Dragon but hopefully not as expensive - any recommendations.

Formosa Oolongs tend to be quite expensive. I like Upton's Formosa Amber
Oolong (TT55) which is also modestly priced at about 5.6 cents per gram,
or about $25/pound. Also the Oolong Finest Grade (TT17) is pretty good
and around 6.5 cents per gram, or about $30/pound.

Randy
rderieux

Derek > wrote in message >...
> On 29 Oct 2004 08:05:26 -0700, rderieux wrote:
>

> Are you a local or were you just traveling through Minneapolis?
>
> If you're a local, you might try La Société du Thé on Lyndale Ave
> (www.teashop.us). I've always found Tony's prices to be pretty reasonable.
> Plus there's the added advantage of being able to actually check out the
> teas before you buy them.

I live in the 3M Republic of Woodbury.

I am new to the area so don't know of many places to get much of
anything (as oppossed to Ann Arbor where we could through a rock and
hit 2 places to buy loose tea).

In the short term we plan to move around and explore.

Thanks!
rderieux

Derek > wrote in message >...
> On 29 Oct 2004 08:05:26 -0700, rderieux wrote:
>

> Are you a local or were you just traveling through Minneapolis?
>
> If you're a local, you might try La Société du Thé on Lyndale Ave
> (www.teashop.us). I've always found Tony's prices to be pretty reasonable.
> Plus there's the added advantage of being able to actually check out the
> teas before you buy them.

I live in the 3M Republic of Woodbury.

I am new to the area so don't know of many places to get much of
anything (as oppossed to Ann Arbor where we could through a rock and
hit 2 places to buy loose tea).

In the short term we plan to move around and explore.

Thanks!

Derek

On 1 Nov 2004 07:40:16 -0800, rderieux wrote:

> Derek > wrote in message >...
>> On 29 Oct 2004 08:05:26 -0700, rderieux wrote:
>>

>> Are you a local or were you just traveling through Minneapolis?
>>
>> If you're a local, you might try La Société du Thé on Lyndale Ave
>> (www.teashop.us). I've always found Tony's prices to be pretty reasonable.
>> Plus there's the added advantage of being able to actually check out the
>> teas before you buy them.

> I live in the 3M Republic of Woodbury.
>
> I am new to the area so don't know of many places to get much of
> anything (as oppossed to Ann Arbor where we could through a rock and
> hit 2 places to buy loose tea).
>
> In the short term we plan to move around and explore.
>
> Thanks!

Hey, welcome to the area. Have fun exploring . There are a lot of good
places to shop outside of MOA.

You can visit the teashop's website at www.teashop.us. I think there's
a map on the site that'll help you get there.

One word of warning - there's construction at the intersection of
Lyndale and 94, so you can't head east on 94 from Lyndale.

--
Derek

Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure
to make any progress.
Derek

On 1 Nov 2004 07:40:16 -0800, rderieux wrote:

> Derek > wrote in message >...
>> On 29 Oct 2004 08:05:26 -0700, rderieux wrote:
>>

>> Are you a local or were you just traveling through Minneapolis?
>>
>> If you're a local, you might try La Société du Thé on Lyndale Ave
>> (www.teashop.us). I've always found Tony's prices to be pretty reasonable.
>> Plus there's the added advantage of being able to actually check out the
>> teas before you buy them.

> I live in the 3M Republic of Woodbury.
>
> I am new to the area so don't know of many places to get much of
> anything (as oppossed to Ann Arbor where we could through a rock and
> hit 2 places to buy loose tea).
>
> In the short term we plan to move around and explore.
>
> Thanks!

Hey, welcome to the area. Have fun exploring . There are a lot of good
places to shop outside of MOA.

You can visit the teashop's website at www.teashop.us. I think there's
a map on the site that'll help you get there.

One word of warning - there's construction at the intersection of
Lyndale and 94, so you can't head east on 94 from Lyndale.

--
Derek

Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure
to make any progress.
Tom Koeppl

I like TEA SOURCE in st paul on clevland just north of FORD PARKWAY.
This place has many teas,alot I had not sean before. they serve tea
there. they brew it by tempature. its a very nice place and the female
workers are very attractive. there is a great place that roasts its
own coffee beans across the street.

tom

jason99

I have been buying tea for years at Teavana
online and at MOA...the staff is great, the teas
always very fresh and high quality...A lot of
what I tried from other companies was stale and
inferior. Teavanas quality and prices were great.

RJP

"jason99" > wrote:

> I have been buying tea for years at Teavana
> online and at MOA...the staff is great, the teas
> always very fresh and high quality...A lot of
> what I tried from other companies was stale and
> inferior. Teavanas quality and prices were great.

I got interested enough by this to check out their website. Of course, I haven't
tried the tea so I can't comment on the quality - I'll take your word for it that it
is good.

However, I would take exception to the statement that their prices are great.
Their gunpowder green went for $32/pound. Even the finest grade gunpowders
from other very reputable online vendors can be had for half of that. Their
English Breakfast was over $26/pound, whereas vendors like Special Teas
and Upton have good offerings for around $15/pound.

I was also taken back by the fact that the only quantity you can order from
Teavana is 2 oz. You can buy multiple 2 oz. orders of the same tea, of course,
but you get absolutely no break on the price. This is not the case with the
other online vendors I use.

I will be at MOA this coming summer, and am likely to visit Teavana and
pick up a package or two of tea since I will be able to get it without shipping
charges. But given the above reservations, I am very unlikely to ever order
online from this vendor.

--
Randy
(if replying by e-mail, remove SPAMFREE and DeLeTe from my address)

RJP

"jason99" > wrote:

> I have been buying tea for years at Teavana
> online and at MOA...the staff is great, the teas
> always very fresh and high quality...A lot of
> what I tried from other companies was stale and
> inferior. Teavanas quality and prices were great.

I got interested enough by this to check out their website. Of course, I haven't
tried the tea so I can't comment on the quality - I'll take your word for it that it
is good.

However, I would take exception to the statement that their prices are great.
Their gunpowder green went for $32/pound. Even the finest grade gunpowders
from other very reputable online vendors can be had for half of that. Their
English Breakfast was over $26/pound, whereas vendors like Special Teas
and Upton have good offerings for around $15/pound.

I was also taken back by the fact that the only quantity you can order from
Teavana is 2 oz. You can buy multiple 2 oz. orders of the same tea, of course,
but you get absolutely no break on the price. This is not the case with the
other online vendors I use.

I will be at MOA this coming summer, and am likely to visit Teavana and
pick up a package or two of tea since I will be able to get it without shipping
charges. But given the above reservations, I am very unlikely to ever order
online from this vendor.

--
Randy
(if replying by e-mail, remove SPAMFREE and DeLeTe from my address)

Space Cowboy

My local tea shoppe prices is $10/4oz for anything and a few at
$10/2oz. He has selection and overhead. I can buy any generic
Chinese tea for at most $1/oz in Chinatown. Any Temple of Heaven
pinhead gunpowder is penny/gram. In the end it isn't prices but
convenience. I shop both places if I'm in the vacinity. The local
tea shoppe is having a sale tomorrow so I'll stock up at half price.
Support your local merchant. You carry it out of the store with you.
My local tea shoppe has 1 oz samplers for anything he sells. You try
it before you buy it. Or just order a cup to go or a pot and relax in
the store.

Jim

"RJP" > wrote in message news:<SFVhd.346802$MQ5.256677@attbi_s52>...
> "jason99" > wrote:
>
> > I have been buying tea for years at Teavana
> > online and at MOA...the staff is great, the teas
> > always very fresh and high quality...A lot of
> > what I tried from other companies was stale and
> > inferior. Teavanas quality and prices were great.

> I got interested enough by this to check out their website. Of course, I haven't
> tried the tea so I can't comment on the quality - I'll take your word for it that it
> is good.
>
> However, I would take exception to the statement that their prices are great.
> Their gunpowder green went for $32/pound. Even the finest grade gunpowders
> from other very reputable online vendors can be had for half of that. Their
> English Breakfast was over $26/pound, whereas vendors like Special Teas
> and Upton have good offerings for around $15/pound.
>
> I was also taken back by the fact that the only quantity you can order from
> Teavana is 2 oz. You can buy multiple 2 oz. orders of the same tea, of course,
> but you get absolutely no break on the price. This is not the case with the
> other online vendors I use.
>
> I will be at MOA this coming summer, and am likely to visit Teavana and
> pick up a package or two of tea since I will be able to get it without shipping
> charges. But given the above reservations, I am very unlikely to ever order
> online from this vendor.

newbie craftydragon1951 General Cooking 22 04-04-2006 07:00 AM
Newbie Q's Bulletsnbrains Winemaking 6 12-03-2006 11:28 PM
A NEWBIE HERE!!!.... arem_29 Recipes 1 30-09-2005 03:54 PM
newbie following newbie pu er threads Lara Burton Tea 12 29-08-2005 05:26 PM