Space Cowboy

Default Swooshing tea for multiple infusions

I've been experimenting with swooshing infusions of green and oolong
and too some extent BOP blacks to reduce infusion time and produce
consistent taste in multiple infusions. I have a 1 liter cylindrical
pyrex pot 4in wide and 7in tall set in plastic cradel with large
handle for easy gripping to produce the circulating motion of the tea
from rotation of the arm and fixed wrist It is a modified Bodum
French Press with filter gill and grate reset to level of spout. In
all cases infusion of boiling water is 500ml/5g to facilitate the
violent rotating circular swooshing of the tea where the leaf and
water climb the walls of the cylinder and fall back in a tumbling
action. So far to my surprise all vigorus swirling infusions seem to
require only 15sec(!) no matter the type. The biggest bonus multiple
infusions remarkably taste consistent with same type of infusing. I'm
easily getting a good consistent second tasting infusion for BOP
blacks while the others at least three. 500ml(16oz) seems to be the
optimum for this brewing technique. I stumbled on this because this
is the size of my everyday cuppa and I knew the slough walls of a
Brown Betty are known for their rolling infusion. The one exception
so far uncooked cake Puer which takes it time no matter what.

Jim
amatouTT

Interesting! I'm always looking for a few ways to trim minutes out of
my morning, because no matter how hard I try I always wake up late and
end up rushing out the door with tea in hand. I'll have to attempt
this, though I might not be able to swoosh so violently -- with my
klutzines I'm sure I could burn myself easily. In japan my host family
taught me to swirl the pot, but I think that was more to distribute
the flavor of the green tea evenly right before the infusion was
ready. The only concern I'd have is that the swooshing would hasten
the cooling of the water too much. It seems like it'd expose the tea
to a lot of cold air that way. Or are you saying your brewing
container is filled to the top and sealed to prevent spilling. But
hey, whatever gets me out the door faster..

Tiffany

(Space Cowboy) wrote in message . com>...
> I've been experimenting with swooshing infusions of green and oolong
> and too some extent BOP blacks to reduce infusion time and produce
> consistent taste in multiple infusions. I have a 1 liter cylindrical
> pyrex pot 4in wide and 7in tall set in plastic cradel with large
> handle for easy gripping to produce the circulating motion of the tea
> from rotation of the arm and fixed wrist It is a modified Bodum
> French Press with filter gill and grate reset to level of spout. In
> all cases infusion of boiling water is 500ml/5g to facilitate the
> violent rotating circular swooshing of the tea where the leaf and
> water climb the walls of the cylinder and fall back in a tumbling
> action. So far to my surprise all vigorus swirling infusions seem to
> require only 15sec(!) no matter the type. The biggest bonus multiple
> infusions remarkably taste consistent with same type of infusing. I'm
> easily getting a good consistent second tasting infusion for BOP
> blacks while the others at least three. 500ml(16oz) seems to be the
> optimum for this brewing technique. I stumbled on this because this
> is the size of my everyday cuppa and I knew the slough walls of a
> Brown Betty are known for their rolling infusion. The one exception
> so far uncooked cake Puer which takes it time no matter what.
>
> Jim

amatouTT

Interesting! I'm always looking for a few ways to trim minutes out of
my morning, because no matter how hard I try I always wake up late and
end up rushing out the door with tea in hand. I'll have to attempt
this, though I might not be able to swoosh so violently -- with my
klutzines I'm sure I could burn myself easily. In japan my host family
taught me to swirl the pot, but I think that was more to distribute
the flavor of the green tea evenly right before the infusion was
ready. The only concern I'd have is that the swooshing would hasten
the cooling of the water too much. It seems like it'd expose the tea
to a lot of cold air that way. Or are you saying your brewing
container is filled to the top and sealed to prevent spilling. But
hey, whatever gets me out the door faster..

Tiffany

(Space Cowboy) wrote in message . com>...
> I've been experimenting with swooshing infusions of green and oolong
> and too some extent BOP blacks to reduce infusion time and produce
> consistent taste in multiple infusions. I have a 1 liter cylindrical
> pyrex pot 4in wide and 7in tall set in plastic cradel with large
> handle for easy gripping to produce the circulating motion of the tea
> from rotation of the arm and fixed wrist It is a modified Bodum
> French Press with filter gill and grate reset to level of spout. In
> all cases infusion of boiling water is 500ml/5g to facilitate the
> violent rotating circular swooshing of the tea where the leaf and
> water climb the walls of the cylinder and fall back in a tumbling
> action. So far to my surprise all vigorus swirling infusions seem to
> require only 15sec(!) no matter the type. The biggest bonus multiple
> infusions remarkably taste consistent with same type of infusing. I'm
> easily getting a good consistent second tasting infusion for BOP
> blacks while the others at least three. 500ml(16oz) seems to be the
> optimum for this brewing technique. I stumbled on this because this
> is the size of my everyday cuppa and I knew the slough walls of a
> Brown Betty are known for their rolling infusion. The one exception
> so far uncooked cake Puer which takes it time no matter what.
>
> Jim

amatouTT

Interesting! I'm always looking for a few ways to trim minutes out of
my morning, because no matter how hard I try I always wake up late and
end up rushing out the door with tea in hand. I'll have to attempt
this, though I might not be able to swoosh so violently -- with my
klutzines I'm sure I could burn myself easily. In japan my host family
taught me to swirl the pot, but I think that was more to distribute
the flavor of the green tea evenly right before the infusion was
ready. The only concern I'd have is that the swooshing would hasten
the cooling of the water too much. It seems like it'd expose the tea
to a lot of cold air that way. Or are you saying your brewing
container is filled to the top and sealed to prevent spilling. But
hey, whatever gets me out the door faster..

Tiffany

(Space Cowboy) wrote in message . com>...
> I've been experimenting with swooshing infusions of green and oolong
> and too some extent BOP blacks to reduce infusion time and produce
> consistent taste in multiple infusions. I have a 1 liter cylindrical
> pyrex pot 4in wide and 7in tall set in plastic cradel with large
> handle for easy gripping to produce the circulating motion of the tea
> from rotation of the arm and fixed wrist It is a modified Bodum
> French Press with filter gill and grate reset to level of spout. In
> all cases infusion of boiling water is 500ml/5g to facilitate the
> violent rotating circular swooshing of the tea where the leaf and
> water climb the walls of the cylinder and fall back in a tumbling
> action. So far to my surprise all vigorus swirling infusions seem to
> require only 15sec(!) no matter the type. The biggest bonus multiple
> infusions remarkably taste consistent with same type of infusing. I'm
> easily getting a good consistent second tasting infusion for BOP
> blacks while the others at least three. 500ml(16oz) seems to be the
> optimum for this brewing technique. I stumbled on this because this
> is the size of my everyday cuppa and I knew the slough walls of a
> Brown Betty are known for their rolling infusion. The one exception
> so far uncooked cake Puer which takes it time no matter what.
>
> Jim

amatouTT

Interesting! I'm always looking for a few ways to trim minutes out of
my morning, because no matter how hard I try I always wake up late and
end up rushing out the door with tea in hand. I'll have to attempt
this, though I might not be able to swoosh so violently -- with my
klutzines I'm sure I could burn myself easily. In japan my host family
taught me to swirl the pot, but I think that was more to distribute
the flavor of the green tea evenly right before the infusion was
ready. The only concern I'd have is that the swooshing would hasten
the cooling of the water too much. It seems like it'd expose the tea
to a lot of cold air that way. Or are you saying your brewing
container is filled to the top and sealed to prevent spilling. But
hey, whatever gets me out the door faster..

Tiffany

(Space Cowboy) wrote in message . com>...
> I've been experimenting with swooshing infusions of green and oolong
> and too some extent BOP blacks to reduce infusion time and produce
> consistent taste in multiple infusions. I have a 1 liter cylindrical
> pyrex pot 4in wide and 7in tall set in plastic cradel with large
> handle for easy gripping to produce the circulating motion of the tea
> from rotation of the arm and fixed wrist It is a modified Bodum
> French Press with filter gill and grate reset to level of spout. In
> all cases infusion of boiling water is 500ml/5g to facilitate the
> violent rotating circular swooshing of the tea where the leaf and
> water climb the walls of the cylinder and fall back in a tumbling
> action. So far to my surprise all vigorus swirling infusions seem to
> require only 15sec(!) no matter the type. The biggest bonus multiple
> infusions remarkably taste consistent with same type of infusing. I'm
> easily getting a good consistent second tasting infusion for BOP
> blacks while the others at least three. 500ml(16oz) seems to be the
> optimum for this brewing technique. I stumbled on this because this
> is the size of my everyday cuppa and I knew the slough walls of a
> Brown Betty are known for their rolling infusion. The one exception
> so far uncooked cake Puer which takes it time no matter what.
>
> Jim

Space Cowboy

The 1 liter cylindrical beaker like teapot with tiny lip for pouring
is only half full with infusion. If you tilt it back slightly nothing
will slosh out. I don't think oval tea pots with spouts would work
even at half full. I'm surprised at how good the greens taste maybe
because of the lower temperature effect you suggest but heat loss
isn't substantial. The temperature moderation is good for oolongs.
The blacks infuse almost immediately but in everycase so far I'm
getting a good second infusion. I think vigorous is a better
description than violent. My wife was in a hurry this morning so a
15sec swoosh and she was on her way. I don't think this setup would
work with smaller beakers because spill probably would be a problem.
I have a 250ml (effective 125 ml infusion) I'll try in a gongfu style
service. I like holding the pyrex pot in the sun light to observe the
leaves and color of infusion. Not for everyone but contrary to the
notion we twirl our thumbs waiting for the pot to do it's thing.

Jim

(amatouTT) wrote in message . com>...
> Interesting! I'm always looking for a few ways to trim minutes out of
> my morning, because no matter how hard I try I always wake up late and
> end up rushing out the door with tea in hand. I'll have to attempt
> this, though I might not be able to swoosh so violently -- with my
> klutzines I'm sure I could burn myself easily. In japan my host family
> taught me to swirl the pot, but I think that was more to distribute
> the flavor of the green tea evenly right before the infusion was
> ready. The only concern I'd have is that the swooshing would hasten
> the cooling of the water too much. It seems like it'd expose the tea
> to a lot of cold air that way. Or are you saying your brewing
> container is filled to the top and sealed to prevent spilling. But
> hey, whatever gets me out the door faster..
>
> Tiffany

(Space Cowboy) wrote in message . com>...
> > I've been experimenting with swooshing infusions of green and oolong
> > and too some extent BOP blacks to reduce infusion time and produce
> > consistent taste in multiple infusions.

crew cut
Space Cowboy

Multiple infusions Square Peg Tea 10 28-08-2008 03:43 PM
Multiple infusions - how to do [email protected] Tea 21 04-03-2008 09:20 PM
multiple infusions and antioxidants in her garden Tea 3 21-02-2007 08:50 PM
safety of multiple infusions Tristan J Krumpacker III Tea 8 14-12-2005 06:37 AM
Multiple infusions question Patrick Heinze Tea 11 21-11-2003 05:53 AM