Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Brewed tea loosing health benefits

If you forget to drink a cup of good quality Japanese green tea, it changes
to a darker colour. (Presumably because it oxidises).

But if its then heated slightly, and mixed with fruit juice it is still
quite drinkable.

Would it be worthwhile drinking such old tea purely for any of the *health
benefits* still remaining, or would they have been substantially lost?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

john hamilton > wrote:
>If you forget to drink a cup of good quality Japanese green tea, it changes
>to a darker colour. (Presumably because it oxidises).

Maybe, but I bet there's other stuff going on in there. Try whisking it
a bit and it should go darker much faster, if indeed it is oxidation going
on.

>But if its then heated slightly, and mixed with fruit juice it is still
>quite drinkable.

Frankly, that sounds really nasty.

>Would it be worthwhile drinking such old tea purely for any of the *health
>benefits* still remaining, or would they have been substantially lost?

To answer this question, one would have to first of all know where the
health benefits of tea come from.

I would claim that much of the health benefit is merely the fact that it
gives you a chance to stop, find a quiet time, and concentrate on the
experience of drinking tea rather than all the chaos going on around you.

If the tea tastes just "drinkable," you will miss this benefit.

Tea is really quite remarkably inexpensive. Even a high end tea is going to
cost you less per cup than a barely-drinkable wine and not much more than a
soda. Unless you are very, very poor there's no reason not to just make a
new cup.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

If tea is properly stored it should last forever. I have 20 yr old
Japanese teas I still enjoy. I think the biggest enemy of oxidized
tea is moisture. For fermented teas it is a blessing. Teas over
exposed to moisture will go 'flat' or loose their taste. Even then
you can reheat the leaves in a pan. Japanese teas are generally
steamed reducing oxidation which makes them ideal for long term
storage. You might see a change in leaf color but it is on the
surface not within. The idea of freshness is more dependent on tea as
an agricultural crop than as a product. It is better to enjoy tea for
what it is. The health benefits dont cost you anything extra.

Jim

Health Benefits tan Recipes 1 21-08-2011 07:24 AM
Health Benefits st.helier[_1_] Wine 4 24-08-2008 07:50 AM
Top 10 Health Benefits of Tea Dennis[_6_] Tea 20 12-07-2008 02:39 AM
Top 10 Health Benefits of Tea Dennis Pang Tea 0 07-07-2008 07:52 PM
Health Benefits Gadfly Barbecue 2 28-03-2004 06:51 AM