Melinda

Default Need some advice on puer

OK, I bought a tuo cha (mini) from Upton awhile back and that was
fairly smooth, and right now what I have in the kitchen is a tuo cha
from my local Asian market that is...well, lemme just say that I'm
really not GETTING this whole Puer love thing. Could someone
(::cough:: Mike and Michael::cough: (or more than one someone) who
is knowledgeable recommend specifically to me a type (name, where to
get, specifics) that will be the best "introduction" to the world of
puer for me..I want to try again but I want to know that what I'm
drinking is representative of puer as a whole before I just bag it and
decide puer isn't for me. Something that's financially reasonable
would be nice (like under $10 or so? Under $15?) I really want to give
this a fair shake since I hear others' enjoyment of it. I'm not
positive what kind of puer I have from the Asia market...it was
inexpensive of course, and in a green and white box.

Oh BTW, I found that an oyster knife seems to work well to break
chunks off...I seem to remember reading that someone was looking for a
way to do that.

Thanks very much for helping out the puer newbie.

Melinda
Mike Petro

Hi Melinda,

Is this Asian Market tea a green or black puerh? It almost sounds like
it may be a green which is a totally different beast. Next time you
go to the market ask for "shu" puer (black/ripe/cooked) which is what
your Upton sample most certainly was. If you print my Rosetta page and
take it with you can point to the Chinese character that represents
"shu" or the characters for "Xiao-Tuocha" which is the mini tuocha but
make sure you ask for "shu" as Xiao-Tuocha is available in both green
and black. http://www.pu-erh.net/rosetta.html

Look at the other thread going on right now about Silk Road Teas and
give David Hoffman a call. 415-488-9017 I highly recommend the Bamboo
puer. You may also want to try a ripe golden melon.

A few other good shu/ripe/black teas a
http://www.teaspring.com/Superior-Yunnan-Pu-erh.asp
http://www.sevencups.com/proddetail.php?prod=PT-PalPue
http://www.sevencups.com/proddetail.php?prod=PT-AgePref
http://store.yahoo.com/teastores/blbrpu.html

Yes, oyster knives, letter openers, and special puer knives all work
well. I also keep a clean set of channel-lock pliers in my tea drawer
for the really hard cakes.

Hope this helped,

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
samarkand

Hi Melinda,

I'm not sure how others feel about using an oyster knife on pu'er, but I
personally refrain from using steel or metal object to break open my pu'er.
I use a yak's horn to crack open the pu'er into larger pieces, and a
japanese chopstick (wooden, unlacquered) to wriggle loose the leaves.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> OK, I bought a tuo cha (mini) from Upton awhile back and that was
> fairly smooth, and right now what I have in the kitchen is a tuo cha
> from my local Asian market that is...well, lemme just say that I'm
> really not GETTING this whole Puer love thing. Could someone
> (::cough:: Mike and Michael::cough: (or more than one someone) who
> is knowledgeable recommend specifically to me a type (name, where to
> get, specifics) that will be the best "introduction" to the world of
> puer for me..I want to try again but I want to know that what I'm
> drinking is representative of puer as a whole before I just bag it and
> decide puer isn't for me. Something that's financially reasonable
> would be nice (like under $10 or so? Under $15?) I really want to give
> this a fair shake since I hear others' enjoyment of it. I'm not
> positive what kind of puer I have from the Asia market...it was
> inexpensive of course, and in a green and white box.
>
> Oh BTW, I found that an oyster knife seems to work well to break
> chunks off...I seem to remember reading that someone was looking for a
> way to do that.
>
> Thanks very much for helping out the puer newbie.
>
> Melinda

samarkand

Hi Melinda,

I'm not sure how others feel about using an oyster knife on pu'er, but I
personally refrain from using steel or metal object to break open my pu'er.
I use a yak's horn to crack open the pu'er into larger pieces, and a
japanese chopstick (wooden, unlacquered) to wriggle loose the leaves.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> OK, I bought a tuo cha (mini) from Upton awhile back and that was
> fairly smooth, and right now what I have in the kitchen is a tuo cha
> from my local Asian market that is...well, lemme just say that I'm
> really not GETTING this whole Puer love thing. Could someone
> (::cough:: Mike and Michael::cough: (or more than one someone) who
> is knowledgeable recommend specifically to me a type (name, where to
> get, specifics) that will be the best "introduction" to the world of
> puer for me..I want to try again but I want to know that what I'm
> drinking is representative of puer as a whole before I just bag it and
> decide puer isn't for me. Something that's financially reasonable
> would be nice (like under $10 or so? Under $15?) I really want to give
> this a fair shake since I hear others' enjoyment of it. I'm not
> positive what kind of puer I have from the Asia market...it was
> inexpensive of course, and in a green and white box.
>
> Oh BTW, I found that an oyster knife seems to work well to break
> chunks off...I seem to remember reading that someone was looking for a
> way to do that.
>
> Thanks very much for helping out the puer newbie.
>
> Melinda

samarkand

Hi Melinda,

I'm not sure how others feel about using an oyster knife on pu'er, but I
personally refrain from using steel or metal object to break open my pu'er.
I use a yak's horn to crack open the pu'er into larger pieces, and a
japanese chopstick (wooden, unlacquered) to wriggle loose the leaves.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> OK, I bought a tuo cha (mini) from Upton awhile back and that was
> fairly smooth, and right now what I have in the kitchen is a tuo cha
> from my local Asian market that is...well, lemme just say that I'm
> really not GETTING this whole Puer love thing. Could someone
> (::cough:: Mike and Michael::cough: (or more than one someone) who
> is knowledgeable recommend specifically to me a type (name, where to
> get, specifics) that will be the best "introduction" to the world of
> puer for me..I want to try again but I want to know that what I'm
> drinking is representative of puer as a whole before I just bag it and
> decide puer isn't for me. Something that's financially reasonable
> would be nice (like under $10 or so? Under $15?) I really want to give
> this a fair shake since I hear others' enjoyment of it. I'm not
> positive what kind of puer I have from the Asia market...it was
> inexpensive of course, and in a green and white box.
>
> Oh BTW, I found that an oyster knife seems to work well to break
> chunks off...I seem to remember reading that someone was looking for a
> way to do that.
>
> Thanks very much for helping out the puer newbie.
>
> Melinda

Lewis Perin

"samarkand" > writes:

> Hi Melinda,
>
> I'm not sure how others feel about using an oyster knife on pu'er, but I
> personally refrain from using steel or metal object to break open my pu'er.
> I use a yak's horn to crack open the pu'er into larger pieces, and a
> japanese chopstick (wooden, unlacquered) to wriggle loose the leaves.

I don't own a yak horn, but somehow I coubt that any horn could crack
open some of the tightly compressed Puerhs I've had. Lately I've been
thinking about dedicating a saw to this purpose. Seriously.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

"samarkand" > writes:

> Hi Melinda,
>
> I'm not sure how others feel about using an oyster knife on pu'er, but I
> personally refrain from using steel or metal object to break open my pu'er.
> I use a yak's horn to crack open the pu'er into larger pieces, and a
> japanese chopstick (wooden, unlacquered) to wriggle loose the leaves.

I don't own a yak horn, but somehow I coubt that any horn could crack
open some of the tightly compressed Puerhs I've had. Lately I've been
thinking about dedicating a saw to this purpose. Seriously.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Falky foo

I hear yak horn reacts badly with all sorts of tea. Experts recommend
chunks of fossilized mammoth tusk.

"samarkand" > wrote in message
> Hi Melinda,
>
> I'm not sure how others feel about using an oyster knife on pu'er, but I
> personally refrain from using steel or metal object to break open my

pu'er.
> I use a yak's horn to crack open the pu'er into larger pieces, and a
> japanese chopstick (wooden, unlacquered) to wriggle loose the leaves.
>
> "Melinda" > wrote in message
> om...
> > OK, I bought a tuo cha (mini) from Upton awhile back and that was
> > fairly smooth, and right now what I have in the kitchen is a tuo cha
> > from my local Asian market that is...well, lemme just say that I'm
> > really not GETTING this whole Puer love thing. Could someone
> > (::cough:: Mike and Michael::cough: (or more than one someone) who
> > is knowledgeable recommend specifically to me a type (name, where to
> > get, specifics) that will be the best "introduction" to the world of
> > puer for me..I want to try again but I want to know that what I'm
> > drinking is representative of puer as a whole before I just bag it and
> > decide puer isn't for me. Something that's financially reasonable
> > would be nice (like under $10 or so? Under $15?) I really want to give
> > this a fair shake since I hear others' enjoyment of it. I'm not
> > positive what kind of puer I have from the Asia market...it was
> > inexpensive of course, and in a green and white box.
> >
> > Oh BTW, I found that an oyster knife seems to work well to break
> > chunks off...I seem to remember reading that someone was looking for a
> > way to do that.
> >
> > Thanks very much for helping out the puer newbie.
> >
> > Melinda

Falky foo

"samarkand" > wrote in message
> Hi Melinda,
>
> I'm not sure how others feel about using an oyster knife on pu'er, but I
> personally refrain from using steel or metal object to break open my

pu'er.
> I use a yak's horn to crack open the pu'er into larger pieces, and a
> japanese chopstick (wooden, unlacquered) to wriggle loose the leaves.
>
> "Melinda" > wrote in message
> om...
> > OK, I bought a tuo cha (mini) from Upton awhile back and that was
> > fairly smooth, and right now what I have in the kitchen is a tuo cha
> > from my local Asian market that is...well, lemme just say that I'm
> > really not GETTING this whole Puer love thing. Could someone
> > (::cough:: Mike and Michael::cough: (or more than one someone) who
> > is knowledgeable recommend specifically to me a type (name, where to
> > get, specifics) that will be the best "introduction" to the world of
> > puer for me..I want to try again but I want to know that what I'm
> > drinking is representative of puer as a whole before I just bag it and
> > decide puer isn't for me. Something that's financially reasonable
> > would be nice (like under $10 or so? Under $15?) I really want to give
> > this a fair shake since I hear others' enjoyment of it. I'm not
> > positive what kind of puer I have from the Asia market...it was
> > inexpensive of course, and in a green and white box.
> >
> > Oh BTW, I found that an oyster knife seems to work well to break
> > chunks off...I seem to remember reading that someone was looking for a
> > way to do that.
> >
> > Thanks very much for helping out the puer newbie.
> >
> > Melinda

Falky foo

So you didn't like the Upton tuo cha either? They only sell black puer..
if you didn't like that then you probably don't like it, because Upton puer
is pretty standard stuff.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> OK, I bought a tuo cha (mini) from Upton awhile back and that was
> fairly smooth, and right now what I have in the kitchen is a tuo cha
> from my local Asian market that is...well, lemme just say that I'm
> really not GETTING this whole Puer love thing. Could someone
> (::cough:: Mike and Michael::cough: (or more than one someone) who
> is knowledgeable recommend specifically to me a type (name, where to
> get, specifics) that will be the best "introduction" to the world of
> puer for me..I want to try again but I want to know that what I'm
> drinking is representative of puer as a whole before I just bag it and
> decide puer isn't for me. Something that's financially reasonable
> would be nice (like under $10 or so? Under $15?) I really want to give
> this a fair shake since I hear others' enjoyment of it. I'm not
> positive what kind of puer I have from the Asia market...it was
> inexpensive of course, and in a green and white box.
>
> Oh BTW, I found that an oyster knife seems to work well to break
> chunks off...I seem to remember reading that someone was looking for a
> way to do that.
>
> Thanks very much for helping out the puer newbie.
>
> Melinda

Falky foo

So you didn't like the Upton tuo cha either? They only sell black puer..
if you didn't like that then you probably don't like it, because Upton puer
is pretty standard stuff.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> OK, I bought a tuo cha (mini) from Upton awhile back and that was
> fairly smooth, and right now what I have in the kitchen is a tuo cha
> from my local Asian market that is...well, lemme just say that I'm
> really not GETTING this whole Puer love thing. Could someone
> (::cough:: Mike and Michael::cough: (or more than one someone) who
> is knowledgeable recommend specifically to me a type (name, where to
> get, specifics) that will be the best "introduction" to the world of
> puer for me..I want to try again but I want to know that what I'm
> drinking is representative of puer as a whole before I just bag it and
> decide puer isn't for me. Something that's financially reasonable
> would be nice (like under $10 or so? Under $15?) I really want to give
> this a fair shake since I hear others' enjoyment of it. I'm not
> positive what kind of puer I have from the Asia market...it was
> inexpensive of course, and in a green and white box.
>
> Oh BTW, I found that an oyster knife seems to work well to break
> chunks off...I seem to remember reading that someone was looking for a
> way to do that.
>
> Thanks very much for helping out the puer newbie.
>
> Melinda

Melinda

Hi Mike,

Well, see, I'm not exactly sure and yeah I've looked at your
page...I'm still pretty confused about the green/cooked thing, as far
as how to tell just by looking at it. It IS a darker brown color if
that helps, and the texture is somewhat course (i.e. it's not like a
pressed powder).When I wrote to the import export corp that was on the
box they sent me two pictures, and from them I am guessing that it's a
cooked puer. The smell of barn is kind of overwhelming though..is this
normal? (And I do mean barn, not new mown hay or anything like
that...)

Mike Petro > wrote in message >. ..
> Hi Melinda,
>
> Is this Asian Market tea a green or black puerh? It almost sounds like
> it may be a green which is a totally different beast. Next time you
> go to the market ask for "shu" puer (black/ripe/cooked) which is what
> your Upton sample most certainly was. If you print my Rosetta page and
> take it with you can point to the Chinese character that represents
> "shu" or the characters for "Xiao-Tuocha" which is the mini tuocha but
> make sure you ask for "shu" as Xiao-Tuocha is available in both green
> and black. http://www.pu-erh.net/rosetta.html
>
> Look at the other thread going on right now about Silk Road Teas and
> give David Hoffman a call. 415-488-9017 I highly recommend the Bamboo
> puer. You may also want to try a ripe golden melon.
>
> A few other good shu/ripe/black teas a
> http://www.teaspring.com/Superior-Yunnan-Pu-erh.asp
> http://www.sevencups.com/proddetail.php?prod=PT-PalPue
> http://www.sevencups.com/proddetail.php?prod=PT-AgePref
> http://store.yahoo.com/teastores/blbrpu.html
>

> Yes, oyster knives, letter openers, and special puer knives all work
> well. I also keep a clean set of channel-lock pliers in my tea drawer
> for the really hard cakes.
>
> Hope this helped,
>

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Melinda

Mike Petro > wrote in message >. ..
> Hi Melinda,
>
> Is this Asian Market tea a green or black puerh? It almost sounds like
> it may be a green which is a totally different beast. Next time you
> go to the market ask for "shu" puer (black/ripe/cooked) which is what
> your Upton sample most certainly was. If you print my Rosetta page and
> take it with you can point to the Chinese character that represents
> "shu" or the characters for "Xiao-Tuocha" which is the mini tuocha but
> make sure you ask for "shu" as Xiao-Tuocha is available in both green
> and black. http://www.pu-erh.net/rosetta.html
>
> Look at the other thread going on right now about Silk Road Teas and
> give David Hoffman a call. 415-488-9017 I highly recommend the Bamboo
> puer. You may also want to try a ripe golden melon.
>
> A few other good shu/ripe/black teas a
> http://www.teaspring.com/Superior-Yunnan-Pu-erh.asp
> http://www.sevencups.com/proddetail.php?prod=PT-PalPue
> http://www.sevencups.com/proddetail.php?prod=PT-AgePref
> http://store.yahoo.com/teastores/blbrpu.html
>

> Yes, oyster knives, letter openers, and special puer knives all work
> well. I also keep a clean set of channel-lock pliers in my tea drawer
> for the really hard cakes.
>
> Hope this helped,
>

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Alex Chaihorsky

Take a look at this beauty. Tea knife for puerhs!
http://www.mandjs.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=192
I am buying one right now. ("No, no, officer - this is just a TEA KNIFE"!)

Sasha.

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> "samarkand" > writes:
>
>> Hi Melinda,
>>
>> I'm not sure how others feel about using an oyster knife on pu'er, but I
>> personally refrain from using steel or metal object to break open my
>> pu'er.
>> I use a yak's horn to crack open the pu'er into larger pieces, and a
>> japanese chopstick (wooden, unlacquered) to wriggle loose the leaves.

> I don't own a yak horn, but somehow I coubt that any horn could crack
> open some of the tightly compressed Puerhs I've had. Lately I've been
> thinking about dedicating a saw to this purpose. Seriously.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Alex Chaihorsky

Take a look at this beauty. Tea knife for puerhs!
http://www.mandjs.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=192
I am buying one right now. ("No, no, officer - this is just a TEA KNIFE"!)

Sasha.

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> "samarkand" > writes:
>
>> Hi Melinda,
>>
>> I'm not sure how others feel about using an oyster knife on pu'er, but I
>> personally refrain from using steel or metal object to break open my
>> pu'er.
>> I use a yak's horn to crack open the pu'er into larger pieces, and a
>> japanese chopstick (wooden, unlacquered) to wriggle loose the leaves.

> I don't own a yak horn, but somehow I coubt that any horn could crack
> open some of the tightly compressed Puerhs I've had. Lately I've been
> thinking about dedicating a saw to this purpose. Seriously.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

news.verizon.net

Lewis Perin wrote:
> I don't own a yak horn, but somehow I coubt that any horn could crack

Funny, I thought everyone had one of those. Along with the eye of newt
to inspect the leaves.

Steve
news.verizon.net

Lewis Perin wrote:
> I don't own a yak horn, but somehow I coubt that any horn could crack

Funny, I thought everyone had one of those. Along with the eye of newt
to inspect the leaves.

Steve
Steve Hay

Apparently, however, I need to buy an identity. Sorry about that guys.
Steve Hay

Apparently, however, I need to buy an identity. Sorry about that guys.
Steve Hay

Apparently, however, I need to buy an identity. Sorry about that guys.

crymad

Lewis Perin wrote:

> "samarkand" > writes:
>
> > Hi Melinda,
> >
> > I'm not sure how others feel about using an oyster knife on pu'er, but I
> > personally refrain from using steel or metal object to break open my pu'er.
> > I use a yak's horn to crack open the pu'er into larger pieces, and a
> > japanese chopstick (wooden, unlacquered) to wriggle loose the leaves.

> I don't own a yak horn, but somehow I coubt that any horn could crack
> open some of the tightly compressed Puerhs I've had. Lately I've been
> thinking about dedicating a saw to this purpose. Seriously.

Would a Japanese box lathe for dried bonito work? The blades on some
can be adjusted, so you're not limited to producing only paper thin
shavings. A drawer under the blade collects the shavings and slides out
for easy retrieval. A lovely artifact for all object fetishists.

I'm compelled to ask, though: If drinking Puerh demands brute strength
and hand tools, is it really something to be exalted? Seriously.

--crymad
crymad

Lewis Perin wrote:

> "samarkand" > writes:
>
> > Hi Melinda,
> >
> > I'm not sure how others feel about using an oyster knife on pu'er, but I
> > personally refrain from using steel or metal object to break open my pu'er.
> > I use a yak's horn to crack open the pu'er into larger pieces, and a
> > japanese chopstick (wooden, unlacquered) to wriggle loose the leaves.

> I don't own a yak horn, but somehow I coubt that any horn could crack
> open some of the tightly compressed Puerhs I've had. Lately I've been
> thinking about dedicating a saw to this purpose. Seriously.

Would a Japanese box lathe for dried bonito work? The blades on some
can be adjusted, so you're not limited to producing only paper thin
shavings. A drawer under the blade collects the shavings and slides out
for easy retrieval. A lovely artifact for all object fetishists.

I'm compelled to ask, though: If drinking Puerh demands brute strength
and hand tools, is it really something to be exalted? Seriously.

--crymad
Doug Hazen, Jr.

Hi,

I hesitate to jump in with any recommendations, given the Puer expertise and
experience here, but ... "fools rush in" and all that.

First, I personally wouldn't buy Puer selling for less than $10 a 1/4 pound
/ 100 gms. For a little more money, you'll have a much better chance of
getting a decent tea.

Silk Road has a "Large Leaf from Old Trees" (P-PE-2) loose-leaf black Puer
for $10 a 1/4 lb. that's surprisingly good, quite mild, though hard to
measure accurately with a spoon because of the large irregular leaves (as
you've probably seen on the group here, SR has no web site, so I can't
provide any URLs).

They also have an "Imperial Pu-erh" (P-IP-1) loose-leaf black for $20 a 1/4
lb. To my taste, it's better than the one above, as it damn well should be.

Generation Tea has "Royal Laofu Pu-erh" black loose-leaf
(http://www.generationtea.com/store/p...id=47&osCsid=6
9d1f1030ad0c108c351f050f2ef07ed) that's good, though again a little pricey.

Though I've only had samples packages of each, both Imperial Tea Court's
"Superior Puerh" black loose-leaf
(http://www.imperialtea.com/AB1002000...roduct_ID=91&C
ategory_ID=21) and Upton's "China Aged Pu-Erh Celestial Tribute" loose-leaf
black (ZH60) seemed pretty decent.

Shan Shui's "Big Leaf Puer" loose-leaf black is mild and good (needs a
pretty long steep: 7-8 min.); the web site is all frames (though easy to
navigate), so I can't give a useful URL.

For small (100 gms), affordable black tuochas, Imperial Tea's "Aged Puerh
Tuocha"
(http://www.imperialtea.com/AB1002000...roduct_ID=172&
Category_ID=23) is good.

I have so little experience so far with green Puers that I wouldn't want to
recommend anything. I believe you've already gotten an expert opinion or two
for that anyway.

If you're interested enough, I would urge you to give Puers an adequate
chance. IOW: a) don't buy the cheap crap, and b) try at least 3 or 4 (or 5)
before giving up. Some people take to 'em immediately, but they can grow on
you, too, though I suppose there are also some poor souls who never learn to
love them. While the esteemed Mr. Perin's asssertion that "All other tea
products are girly-teas" is not actually true, it *is* true that most other
teas aren't as good as *good* Puer. You just have to find the one(s) that
are "good" for you.

Then, once you're hooked, you can go here
(http://www.puerh-tea.net/puerhcakes.htm) and buy a single 75 year old cake
for USD $6,500! Then you'll know you're a *real* Puer junkie.

Doug

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> OK, I bought a tuo cha (mini) from Upton awhile back and that was
> fairly smooth, and right now what I have in the kitchen is a tuo cha
> from my local Asian market that is...well, lemme just say that I'm
> really not GETTING this whole Puer love thing. Could someone
> (::cough:: Mike and Michael::cough: (or more than one someone) who
> is knowledgeable recommend specifically to me a type (name, where to
> get, specifics) that will be the best "introduction" to the world of
> puer for me..I want to try again but I want to know that what I'm
> drinking is representative of puer as a whole before I just bag it and
> decide puer isn't for me. Something that's financially reasonable
> would be nice (like under $10 or so? Under $15?) I really want to give
> this a fair shake since I hear others' enjoyment of it. I'm not
> positive what kind of puer I have from the Asia market...it was
> inexpensive of course, and in a green and white box.
>
> Oh BTW, I found that an oyster knife seems to work well to break
> chunks off...I seem to remember reading that someone was looking for a
> way to do that.
>
> Thanks very much for helping out the puer newbie.
>
> Melinda

Doug Hazen, Jr.

[...]

"Melinda" > wrote in message
om...
> OK, I bought a tuo cha (mini) from Upton awhile back and that was
> fairly smooth, and right now what I have in the kitchen is a tuo cha
> from my local Asian market that is...well, lemme just say that I'm
> really not GETTING this whole Puer love thing. Could someone
> (::cough:: Mike and Michael::cough: (or more than one someone) who
> is knowledgeable recommend specifically to me a type (name, where to
> get, specifics) that will be the best "introduction" to the world of
> puer for me..I want to try again but I want to know that what I'm
> drinking is representative of puer as a whole before I just bag it and
> decide puer isn't for me. Something that's financially reasonable
> would be nice (like under $10 or so? Under $15?) I really want to give
> this a fair shake since I hear others' enjoyment of it. I'm not
> positive what kind of puer I have from the Asia market...it was
> inexpensive of course, and in a green and white box.
>
> Oh BTW, I found that an oyster knife seems to work well to break
> chunks off...I seem to remember reading that someone was looking for a
> way to do that.
>
> Thanks very much for helping out the puer newbie.
>
> Melinda

Mike Petro

Well said Doug....

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:35:30 -0400, "Doug Hazen, Jr."
> cast caution to the wind and posted:

>If you're interested enough, I would urge you to give Puers an adequate
>chance. IOW: a) don't buy the cheap crap, and b) try at least 3 or 4 (or 5)
>before giving up. Some people take to 'em immediately, but they can grow on
>you, too, though I suppose there are also some poor souls who never learn to
>love them. While the esteemed Mr. Perin's asssertion that "All other tea
>products are girly-teas" is not actually true, it *is* true that most other
>teas aren't as good as *good* Puer. You just have to find the one(s) that
>are "good" for you.

Mike Petro

Well said Doug....

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:35:30 -0400, "Doug Hazen, Jr."
> cast caution to the wind and posted:

>If you're interested enough, I would urge you to give Puers an adequate
>chance. IOW: a) don't buy the cheap crap, and b) try at least 3 or 4 (or 5)
>before giving up. Some people take to 'em immediately, but they can grow on
>you, too, though I suppose there are also some poor souls who never learn to
>love them. While the esteemed Mr. Perin's asssertion that "All other tea
>products are girly-teas" is not actually true, it *is* true that most other
>teas aren't as good as *good* Puer. You just have to find the one(s) that
>are "good" for you.

Melinda

I just realized today that another reason I may be having a hard time
with the puer I do have is that I may be brewing it way too strong. I
don't have a scale so I have been eyeballing it. I brewed it a little
lighter today and didn't mind it so much.

Not using gong fu...have a cute small one-cup (10 oz) ceramic beehive
teapot from Japan that was my grandma's and I just realized tonight it
will be perfect for now. It's even shaped more or less like a yixing
pot for puer.

I called and am having Mike at Silk Road send me a price list. I don't
have any money to spend on tea the rest of this month.. and next
month I am hoping to get more samples of assams as I am still
searching for one that really knocks my socks off. Need to restock my
keemun. I want to get some honeybush for evenings (I know not tea, no
caffeine though). Etc. etc...but I will get a good puer around $10 or
maybe a little more and see if it lets me catch a glimpse of that
elusive something. I do like the loam smell that people have mentioned
before..not getting it from this cheap one though and I didn't notice
it at the time with the Upton. Which could very well entirely have had
to do with the fact that I was a total beginner and didn't have a clue
what I was looking for.

Melinda

Michael Plant

9/22/04

> I just realized today that another reason I may be having a hard time
> with the puer I do have is that I may be brewing it way too strong. I
> don't have a scale so I have been eyeballing it. I brewed it a little
> lighter today and didn't mind it so much.

Good observation. No doubt about it. With Pu-erhs I like to err on the side
of caution, especially getting to know a new one. Brew it a bit lighter
still, and you might just fall in love.

snip

> I called and am having Mike at Silk Road send me a price list.

Who is this Mike at Silk Road?

>I don't
> have any money to spend on tea the rest of this month.. and next
> month I am hoping to get more samples of assams as I am still
> searching for one that really knocks my socks off.

No Assam tea *ever* knocked my socks off. I think you might spend your hard
earned money elsewhere.

> Need to restock my
> keemun. I want to get some honeybush for evenings (I know not tea, no
> caffeine though). Etc. etc...but I will get a good puer around $10 or
> maybe a little more and see if it lets me catch a glimpse of that
> elusive something. I do like the loam smell that people have mentioned
> before..not getting it from this cheap one though and I didn't notice
> it at the time with the Upton. Which could very well entirely have had
> to do with the fact that I was a total beginner and didn't have a clue
> what I was looking for.

Well, you're not a total beginner anymore. Somebody had mentioned that
Upton sells middling Pu-erhs. Somebody else gave a list of vendors recently.
I'd get the Pu-erhs from Silk Road Teas. That way, you'd be able to describe
the qualities you like and get recommendations that mean something.

Michael

Lewis Perin

"Alex Chaihorsky" > writes:

> Take a look at this beauty. Tea knife for puerhs!
> http://www.mandjs.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=192
> I am buying one right now. ("No, no, officer - this is just a TEA KNIFE"!)

Hey, I thought the Bushido thread was over!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

"Doug Hazen, Jr." > writes:

> [...]
>
> If you're interested enough, I would urge you to give Puers an
> adequate chance. IOW: a) don't buy the cheap crap, and b) try at
> least 3 or 4 (or 5) before giving up. Some people take to 'em
> immediately, but they can grow on you, too, though I suppose there
> are also some poor souls who never learn to love them. While the
> esteemed Mr. Perin's asssertion that "All other tea products are
> girly-teas" is not actually true, it *is* true that most other teas
> aren't as good as *good* Puer.

Sorry, I wasn't being completely serious. It's this character flaw of
mine: I just can't bring myself to use smileys. Also, I thought I was
being clever by referring to Crymad's "tea product" epithet. I'll try
to be good in the future.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Lewis Perin

"Doug Hazen, Jr." > writes:

> [...]
>
> If you're interested enough, I would urge you to give Puers an
> adequate chance. IOW: a) don't buy the cheap crap, and b) try at
> least 3 or 4 (or 5) before giving up. Some people take to 'em
> immediately, but they can grow on you, too, though I suppose there
> are also some poor souls who never learn to love them. While the
> esteemed Mr. Perin's asssertion that "All other tea products are
> girly-teas" is not actually true, it *is* true that most other teas
> aren't as good as *good* Puer.

Sorry, I wasn't being completely serious. It's this character flaw of
mine: I just can't bring myself to use smileys. Also, I thought I was
being clever by referring to Crymad's "tea product" epithet. I'll try
to be good in the future.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Alex Chaihorsky

>> Take a look at this beauty. Tea knife for puerhs!
>> http://www.mandjs.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=192
>> I am buying one right now. ("No, no, officer - this is just a TEA
>> KNIFE"!)

> Hey, I thought the Bushido thread was over!

"Not until the last petal of the iris... "

Sasha.

Alex Chaihorsky

>> Take a look at this beauty. Tea knife for puerhs!
>> http://www.mandjs.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=192
>> I am buying one right now. ("No, no, officer - this is just a TEA
>> KNIFE"!)

> Hey, I thought the Bushido thread was over!

"Not until the last petal of the iris... "

Sasha.

crymad

"Doug Hazen, Jr." wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hesitate to jump in with any recommendations, given the Puer expertise and
> experience here, but ... "fools rush in" and all that.
>
> First, I personally wouldn't buy Puer selling for less than $10 a 1/4 pound
> / 100 gms. For a little more money, you'll have a much better chance of
> getting a decent tea.

> Though I've only had samples packages of each, both Imperial Tea Court's
> "Superior Puerh" black loose-leaf
> (http://www.imperialtea.com/AB1002000...roduct_ID=91&C
> ategory_ID=21) [...] seemed pretty decent.

Would you other Puerh fanciers agree with this assessment? Is Imperial
Tea's "Superior Puerh" a decent offering?

--crymad

Mixed cooked Puer and Raw Puer?? [email protected] Tea 0 10-04-2007 09:28 AM
Looks like Puer Space Cowboy Tea 5 08-01-2007 07:16 PM
Puer as art Space Cowboy Tea 1 17-04-2005 05:02 AM
Superauto advice (UK based but any advice on machines appreciated) Copterman Coffee 5 24-12-2004 08:47 PM
Speaking of Puer Lewis Perin Tea 2 26-07-2004 04:21 AM