Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Looks like Puer

Imagine my excitement when I found the very same ZhuKe (bamboo shell)
in Chinatown. All things in bamboo must be Puer. The Pinyin and
Chinese characters are prominently displayed. However it is a famous
herbal concoction for those with internal heat. It looks like shu but
taste very different. I'd say each pod is about 30g. A package of 5
shells was only $3. I wished I could find puer packaged this way.

http://tinyurl.com/ybx4u6

Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Jim,
We just bought some of these in Oakland Chinatown "Hong Kong
Groceries". I was told they do hold pu erh. They were three for a
dollar!!! I tried a pot earlier today and yes, indeed it did taste like
pu-erh, but not great or even good pu-erh. A little musty and "dirty".
But, it was pu-erh. If you like I can send you some. Email if you'd
like.
I also bought some of these in Chicago Chinatown years ago when I knew
even less than I do now about teas. I used them for decoration, as I
still think they are exquisitely packaged.
I do have some knowlege of Chinese medicine and I doubt what I drank
was "cooling".
Shen
Space Cowboy wrote:
> Imagine my excitement when I found the very same ZhuKe (bamboo shell)
> in Chinatown. All things in bamboo must be Puer. The Pinyin and
> Chinese characters are prominently displayed. However it is a famous
> herbal concoction for those with internal heat. It looks like shu but
> taste very different. I'd say each pod is about 30g. A package of 5
> shells was only $3. I wished I could find puer packaged this way.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ybx4u6
>
> Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Shen,

The two main herbals on my packaging are Lonicera Japonica and Plantago
Asiatica. You can Google for more information. Some sites say Zhuke
contains Puer and others the herbal formula. Considering there is a
range in Shu taste you might think this taste such as it is might make
it one but definitely no spent tea leaves. I've been dabbling in TCM
for over a decade which was another impetus for me to learn at least
some Chinese. My Chinatown keeps the herbals and teas separated. In
this case, Zhuke was stored with the Puer. My packaging was $2 and
loose change instead of $3. I prefer Oakland Chinatown over SF
whenever I am out that way. I'll drop you an email because I'd like
the Puer version.

Jim

Shen wrote:
> Jim,
> We just bought some of these in Oakland Chinatown "Hong Kong
> Groceries". I was told they do hold pu erh. They were three for a
> dollar!!! I tried a pot earlier today and yes, indeed it did taste like
> pu-erh, but not great or even good pu-erh. A little musty and "dirty".
> But, it was pu-erh. If you like I can send you some. Email if you'd
> like.
> I also bought some of these in Chicago Chinatown years ago when I knew
> even less than I do now about teas. I used them for decoration, as I
> still think they are exquisitely packaged.
> I do have some knowlege of Chinese medicine and I doubt what I drank
> was "cooling".
> Shen
> Space Cowboy wrote:
> > Imagine my excitement when I found the very same ZhuKe (bamboo shell)
> > in Chinatown. All things in bamboo must be Puer. The Pinyin and
> > Chinese characters are prominently displayed. However it is a famous
> > herbal concoction for those with internal heat. It looks like shu but
> > taste very different. I'd say each pod is about 30g. A package of 5
> > shells was only $3. I wished I could find puer packaged this way.
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/ybx4u6
> >
> > Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> Shen,
>
> The two main herbals on my packaging are Lonicera Japonica and Plantago
> Asiatica. You can Google for more information. Some sites say Zhuke
> contains Puer and others the herbal formula. Considering there is a
> range in Shu taste you might think this taste such as it is might make
> it one but definitely no spent tea leaves. I've been dabbling in TCM
> for over a decade which was another impetus for me to learn at least
> some Chinese. My Chinatown keeps the herbals and teas separated. In
> this case, Zhuke was stored with the Puer. My packaging was $2 and
> loose change instead of $3. I prefer Oakland Chinatown over SF
> whenever I am out that way. I'll drop you an email because I'd like
> the Puer version.

I think the camellia sinensis version isn't technically Pu'er, but
post-fermented Guangdong tea.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hi, Jim,
These two botanicals are typically compounded with other herbs to treat
stagnat kidney chi and heat rising; although never really primary
ingedients. They are both anti-septic and anti-inflammatory. I am a
N.D. and my business partner is a Chinese herbalist and acupuncturist.
The teas I bought were identical to the picture; however, there are no
ingredients listed anywhere.
I'm seeing my partner at the end of the week and will ask him what he
knows.
In Oakland Chinatown they were stored between two barrels of white
paper wrapped pu erh. Oakland Chinatown keeps the herbals separate, as
well.
There is a nearby "tea" shop (quite overpriced) and I'll ask the gal in
there if she has any knowlege of what exactly this stuff is.......I go
to Chinatown weekly to get veggies etc. and will do a bit of research.
Curious, eh?
Shen

Space Cowboy wrote:
> Shen,
>
> The two main herbals on my packaging are Lonicera Japonica and Plantago
> Asiatica. You can Google for more information. Some sites say Zhuke
> contains Puer and others the herbal formula. Considering there is a
> range in Shu taste you might think this taste such as it is might make
> it one but definitely no spent tea leaves. I've been dabbling in TCM
> for over a decade which was another impetus for me to learn at least
> some Chinese. My Chinatown keeps the herbals and teas separated. In
> this case, Zhuke was stored with the Puer. My packaging was $2 and
> loose change instead of $3. I prefer Oakland Chinatown over SF
> whenever I am out that way. I'll drop you an email because I'd like
> the Puer version.
>
> Jim
>
> Shen wrote:
> > Jim,
> > We just bought some of these in Oakland Chinatown "Hong Kong
> > Groceries". I was told they do hold pu erh. They were three for a
> > dollar!!! I tried a pot earlier today and yes, indeed it did taste like
> > pu-erh, but not great or even good pu-erh. A little musty and "dirty".
> > But, it was pu-erh. If you like I can send you some. Email if you'd
> > like.
> > I also bought some of these in Chicago Chinatown years ago when I knew
> > even less than I do now about teas. I used them for decoration, as I
> > still think they are exquisitely packaged.
> > I do have some knowlege of Chinese medicine and I doubt what I drank
> > was "cooling".
> > Shen
> > Space Cowboy wrote:
> > > Imagine my excitement when I found the very same ZhuKe (bamboo shell)
> > > in Chinatown. All things in bamboo must be Puer. The Pinyin and
> > > Chinese characters are prominently displayed. However it is a famous
> > > herbal concoction for those with internal heat. It looks like shu but
> > > taste very different. I'd say each pod is about 30g. A package of 5
> > > shells was only $3. I wished I could find puer packaged this way.
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/ybx4u6
> > >
> > > Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Shen,

Look at what is left over from brewing. If it looks like tea leaves
then it is a fermented tea from GuangDong which Lew suggests. If it
looks like something else it is the herbal formula. I gave you the two
which cause Google hits. The first is a honeysuckle and the second a
seed. Dried honeysuckle is one of my favorite flowers for tea.

Jim

PS: Lew, my herbal version says it is also from GuangDong.

Shen wrote:
> Hi, Jim,
> These two botanicals are typically compounded with other herbs to treat
> stagnat kidney chi and heat rising; although never really primary
> ingedients. They are both anti-septic and anti-inflammatory. I am a
> N.D. and my business partner is a Chinese herbalist and acupuncturist.
> The teas I bought were identical to the picture; however, there are no
> ingredients listed anywhere.
> I'm seeing my partner at the end of the week and will ask him what he
> knows.
> In Oakland Chinatown they were stored between two barrels of white
> paper wrapped pu erh. Oakland Chinatown keeps the herbals separate, as
> well.
> There is a nearby "tea" shop (quite overpriced) and I'll ask the gal in
> there if she has any knowlege of what exactly this stuff is.......I go
> to Chinatown weekly to get veggies etc. and will do a bit of research.
> Curious, eh?
> Shen
>
> Space Cowboy wrote:

....I delete me...

Cocaine Shu Puer Space Cowboy Tea 1 02-10-2011 05:13 PM
Mixed cooked Puer and Raw Puer?? [email protected] Tea 0 10-04-2007 09:28 AM
Caffeine and Puer Jenn Tea 38 20-10-2005 03:48 AM
Aging puer Nico Dornemann Tea 2 19-08-2005 11:47 AM
Puer as art Space Cowboy Tea 1 17-04-2005 05:02 AM