RJP

Default Pu-erh an Oolong?

The FAQ recently posted has this as its Oolong list:

> Oolong:
> Ti Kuan Yin [Tai Guanyin] (Mainland China)
> Formosa Oolong (Taiwan, many varieties)
> Pu-erh (China)

I don't get why Pu-erh is in there. Isn't Pu-erh
oxidized much more extensively even than black
teas? Shouldn't it either be listed as a style of
black, or in its own category?

Randy
Lewis Perin

RJP > writes:

> The FAQ recently posted has this as its Oolong list:
>
> > Oolong:
> > Ti Kuan Yin [Tai Guanyin] (Mainland China)
> > Formosa Oolong (Taiwan, many varieties)
> > Pu-erh (China)

> I don't get why Pu-erh is in there. Isn't Pu-erh oxidized much more
> extensively even than black teas?

I don't think so. The amount of oxidation varies a lot among Puerhs.

> Shouldn't it either be listed as a style of black, or in its own
> category?

I would vote for a separate category. Puerh gets oxidized by
different methods than oolongs and blacks, and the difference
definitely carries into the cup.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Jon Nossen

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> RJP > writes:
> > Isn't Pu-erh oxidized much more extensively even than black

teas?

> I don't think so. The amount of oxidation varies a lot among

Puerhs.

> > Shouldn't it either be listed as a style of black, or in its

own
> > category?

> I would vote for a separate category. Puerh gets oxidized by
> different methods than oolongs and blacks, and the difference
> definitely carries into the cup.

I agree, although I'm not sure it's correct to use the term
"oxidized" in this connection. For black (red) tea processing,
the fermentation (oxidation) procedure involves oxidation of the
catechins in the green leaves, turning them into tannins
(theaflavins and thearubigins). Since the fermentation of Pu'erh
tea involves some kind of ripening or ageing, I assume this is
another kind of fermentation (and not oxidation at all).

Christopher Roberson

RJP > wrote:
> The FAQ recently posted has this as its Oolong list:

>> Oolong:
>> Ti Kuan Yin [Tai Guanyin] (Mainland China)
>> Formosa Oolong (Taiwan, many varieties)
>> Pu-erh (China)

I haven't fixed that yet? Sorry. I'll get to it after I finish moving.

--
Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, '227,
any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address
Christopher Roberson

Christopher Roberson > wrote:
> RJP > wrote:
>> The FAQ recently posted has this as its Oolong list:

>>> Oolong:
>>> Ti Kuan Yin [Tai Guanyin] (Mainland China)
>>> Formosa Oolong (Taiwan, many varieties)
>>> Pu-erh (China)

> I haven't fixed that yet? Sorry. I'll get to it after I finish moving.

Fixed.

Oolong Tea alicek Tea 0 07-12-2010 08:53 AM
Wu Yi Yan Cha Bing - A Lush Oolong! And The Smoothest Nai Xiang (milk) Oolong! Shen[_2_] Tea 12 20-01-2008 10:27 PM
What is Oolong tea? Douglas Tea 6 12-03-2005 07:44 PM
What is Oolong tea? Douglas Tea 0 27-02-2005 05:21 PM
oolong tea Joanne Rosen Tea 13 14-12-2004 08:16 AM