Mike Petro

Default Pu Erh, the Quest... Intro

Hi All...

Some of you may remember me, I have posted to this group on occasion
over the years. A few years ago I tried my first pu erh. Since that
time I have embarked on a long and mysterious journey.

In the last several years I have purchased, brewed, and tasted, many
kilos of various types of Pu Erh. I have lurked in this group,
researched, brewed, tasted, read, brewed, tasted, and otherwise chased
my tail very diligently ever since.

What I have discovered is a wealth of misinformation, mystic,
confusion, misrepresentation, myths, legends, and marketing that
appear to be designed to keep the western consumer in a state of
ignorance. Most other types of tea have some sort of a standardized
grading system by which you can estimate the quality by the teas
classification. I believe this also exists with Pu Erh but it is
seldom shared outside of China. There are so many variables like leaf
grade, age, processing/fermentation, storage, (not to mention brewing
method) etc that affect the final taste and few of these variables are
ever accurately disclosed to the western consumer.

What I would like to propose is an open exchange of information. I
will post a series of topics to stimulate conversation on various
aspects of Pu-Erh. I have purchased the pu-erh.net domain for 1 year,
if it is successful I will maintain it indefinitely. I will soon
begin a website where I will openly share everything I have learned
through this group and other sources. I have NO financial interests
whatsoever, I am simply trying to explore my love of Pu Erh. This
www.pu-erh.net website will have a link section, a history section, a
modern processing, a photo section, a brewing section, and whatever
else seems appropriate. Suggestions are very welcome.

Please help me to cut through some of the smoke and mirrors
surrounding this wonderful tea!
Mike Petro

remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Tom

Glad to hear it.
I love the stuff & don't know enough about it.

>Hi All...
>
>Some of you may remember me, I have posted to this group on occasion
>over the years. A few years ago I tried my first pu erh. Since that
>time I have embarked on a long and mysterious journey.
>
>In the last several years I have purchased, brewed, and tasted, many
>kilos of various types of Pu Erh. I have lurked in this group,
>researched, brewed, tasted, read, brewed, tasted, and otherwise chased
>my tail very diligently ever since.
>
>What I have discovered is a wealth of misinformation, mystic,
>confusion, misrepresentation, myths, legends, and marketing that
>appear to be designed to keep the western consumer in a state of
>ignorance. Most other types of tea have some sort of a standardized
>grading system by which you can estimate the quality by the teas
>classification. I believe this also exists with Pu Erh but it is
>seldom shared outside of China. There are so many variables like leaf
>grade, age, processing/fermentation, storage, (not to mention brewing
>method) etc that affect the final taste and few of these variables are
>ever accurately disclosed to the western consumer.
>
>What I would like to propose is an open exchange of information. I
>will post a series of topics to stimulate conversation on various
>aspects of Pu-Erh. I have purchased the pu-erh.net domain for 1 year,
>if it is successful I will maintain it indefinitely. I will soon
>begin a website where I will openly share everything I have learned
>through this group and other sources. I have NO financial interests
>whatsoever, I am simply trying to explore my love of Pu Erh. This
>www.pu-erh.net website will have a link section, a history section, a
>modern processing, a photo section, a brewing section, and whatever
>else seems appropriate. Suggestions are very welcome.
>
>Please help me to cut through some of the smoke and mirrors
>surrounding this wonderful tea!
>Mike Petro

>remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

--Tom
-oo-
""\o~
------------------------------------
"Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
Terrance
Livio Zanini

I am very happy to know that there will be such a website.

"Mike Petro" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi All...
>
> Some of you may remember me, I have posted to this group on occasion
> over the years. A few years ago I tried my first pu erh. Since that
> time I have embarked on a long and mysterious journey.
>
> In the last several years I have purchased, brewed, and tasted, many
> kilos of various types of Pu Erh. I have lurked in this group,
> researched, brewed, tasted, read, brewed, tasted, and otherwise chased
> my tail very diligently ever since.
>
> What I have discovered is a wealth of misinformation, mystic,
> confusion, misrepresentation, myths, legends, and marketing that
> appear to be designed to keep the western consumer in a state of
> ignorance. Most other types of tea have some sort of a standardized
> grading system by which you can estimate the quality by the teas
> classification. I believe this also exists with Pu Erh but it is
> seldom shared outside of China. There are so many variables like leaf
> grade, age, processing/fermentation, storage, (not to mention brewing
> method) etc that affect the final taste and few of these variables are
> ever accurately disclosed to the western consumer.
>
> What I would like to propose is an open exchange of information. I
> will post a series of topics to stimulate conversation on various
> aspects of Pu-Erh. I have purchased the pu-erh.net domain for 1 year,
> if it is successful I will maintain it indefinitely. I will soon
> begin a website where I will openly share everything I have learned
> through this group and other sources. I have NO financial interests
> whatsoever, I am simply trying to explore my love of Pu Erh. This
> www.pu-erh.net website will have a link section, a history section, a
> modern processing, a photo section, a brewing section, and whatever
> else seems appropriate. Suggestions are very welcome.
>
> Please help me to cut through some of the smoke and mirrors
> surrounding this wonderful tea!
> Mike Petro
>
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Mike Petro

Yuriy is right, this is one of the most infomative threads I have
seen. Unfortunetly I have yet to see an online referrence, outside of
this newsgroup, that provides this level of frankness.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ogle.com#link1

Mike Petro

remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Mike Petro

Default Pu Erh, the Quest... Intro - Puer.jpg (0/1)

Livio,

A few years back you pointed me to a link that had an article you
wrote pu erh. Unfortunately that link no longer works. First, may I
have permision to use it on the website, and second, do you have a
working link? All I have left is this mouth watering picture of all
the different pu erh cakes.

Thanks,
Mike Petro

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 20:36:20 GMT, "Livio Zanini" >
wrote:

>I am very happy to know that there will be such a website.

Mike Petro

remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Mike Petro

Default Pu Erh, the Quest... Intro - Puer.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Pu Erh, the Quest... Intro-puer.jpg
Livio Zanini

Mike,
try this

http://www.slowfood.com/eng/sf_slowe...=33077&-search

or go on www.slowfood.com, click on "Sloweek" and make a search for
"Zanini".
That essay might contain some imprecisions, since at that time I ignored how
good can be a good green Pu'er cake even if not aged.
Let me know if you care for some photos or have some question you need help
for.
Livio

"Mike Petro" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Livio,
>
> A few years back you pointed me to a link that had an article you
> wrote pu erh. Unfortunately that link no longer works. First, may I
> have permision to use it on the website, and second, do you have a
> working link? All I have left is this mouth watering picture of all
> the different pu erh cakes.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Petro
>

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 20:36:20 GMT, "Livio Zanini" >
> wrote:
>
> >I am very happy to know that there will be such a website.

> Mike Petro
>
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Mike Petro

>I am very happy to know that there will be such a website.

Hi Livio,

Take a look and give me some feedback please. That goes for the rest
of the group as well.

I do intend to put a lot more hand written content on the pages, right
now it is mainly just the links, about 65 of them.

Ciao,

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Tom

Wow!
Great Work!
I can't believe how many links you've added since I last checked.
Please let us know as you add stuff.
--Tom
-oo-
""\o~
------------------------------------
"Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
Terrance

Tom

Hey Mike:

Loving the site but the specific "desired time" for the tea measurements you
listed would be helpful on the "How to Brew" page.

http://www.pu-erh.net
>remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

--Tom
-oo-
""\o~
------------------------------------
"Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
Terrance
Tom

Thanks.
I've been starting at 2 minutes with your measurements (I usually use more tea
for gung-fu) so I haven't been getting as many good steeps.

Thanks for the tip and the site.

http://www.pu-erh.net

Quest for Krug Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 28-12-2015 07:45 PM
McRib Quest sf[_9_] General Cooking 96 28-10-2011 07:22 PM
More on the quest to eat better Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 7 04-02-2011 07:34 AM
I've got a new quest!! John Kuthe[_2_] General Cooking 2 19-08-2009 01:13 PM
My burger quest Nancy Young General Cooking 46 08-05-2006 09:12 PM