Sally P.

Default green tea, chinese style?

Hello,

I'm looking for a green tea recommendation - something that I can keep
in the bottom of my tea mug, in the common Chinese fashion, through
several infusions during the afternoon at work. Has anyone found a
particular green that's been good - i.e. fairly forgiving and not
bitter, etc. - for drinking in this way? I'm eying certain greens at
Special Teas and Upton, but would love to hear a recommendation...

Thanks!

sp
BOSSMAN

I enjoyed No. 583 Jiu Hua Mao Feng (Organically Grown) China from
www.specailteas.com. It has a nice clean earthy taste & you can use
it for 2 infusions before getting bitter.

I think if you keep it in the bottom of your tea mug it will get
bitter. I steep it for about 2 minutes in steaming but not boiling
water & strain it.

Happy Tea shopping.

===========
BOSSMAN

On 9 Nov 2003 11:43:44 -0800, (Sally P.) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm looking for a green tea recommendation - something that I can keep
>in the bottom of my tea mug, in the common Chinese fashion, through
>several infusions during the afternoon at work. Has anyone found a
>particular green that's been good - i.e. fairly forgiving and not
>bitter, etc. - for drinking in this way? I'm eying certain greens at
>Special Teas and Upton, but would love to hear a recommendation...
>
>Thanks!
>
>sp

Joseph Kubera

I have enjoyed In Pursuit of Tea's Dragon Pearls tea in this way. It doesn't
get bitter. It has a slightly sour element, and if you like that, it's very
good. It's very mellow and I personally like it as a late evening tea --
doesn't get bitter or too intense and lets me sleep.

It may not be for you if you prefer a brisk, brighter cup.

Joe
Michael Plant

11/10/03

> In article >,
> Michael Plant > wrote:
>
>> Sally
11/9/03

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a green tea recommendation - something that I can keep
>>> in the bottom of my tea mug, in the common Chinese fashion, through
>>> several infusions during the afternoon at work. Has anyone found a
>>> particular green that's been good - i.e. fairly forgiving and not
>>> bitter, etc. - for drinking in this way? I'm eying certain greens at
>>> Special Teas and Upton, but would love to hear a recommendation...
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> sp

>> Sally,
>>
>> That's been one of my ongoing issues as well. Most greens seem to work. The
>> trick is adjusting the water temperature and amount of dry leaf to fit the
>> method. Dragon Wells seem to work well and are beautiful in the cup. If you
>> like Jasmine, the pearls are "designed" for just the purpose you describe.
>> If you don't, I would think a pearls not jasmine would fit the bill. I
>> haven't tried them myself yet, though. Also, Silver Needles do well. And, if
>> you don't use too much leaf, some of the Darjeelings -- most notably the
>> Gopaldhara oolongs, IMO -- are among the most beautiful, not to mention
>> tasty. Just thoughts.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> how does this work? I assume you don't drink the tea in one gulp? And
> you don'tpour it off?

Correct on both counts. The leaves just dance along with you at the bottom
of the vessel. The trick is to find leaves and methods whereby the liquor
doesn't become bittter or otherwise off-putting.

Michael

Peter Roozemaal

Sally P. wrote:

> I'm looking for a green tea recommendation - something that I can keep
> in the bottom of my tea mug, in the common Chinese fashion, through
> several infusions during the afternoon at work.

I am drinking Bai Mu Dan in the way you describe. (Well, officially it
is a white tea...) Taste is on the woody side. A flowery tea you could
try is Pi Lo Chun, but that requires more care with water temperature
than the Bai Mu Dan.

Peter.

kniteagirl

Hi there,

I don't know if you have considered oolong tea, but this is
traditionally the tea that is left in the pot all day to be reinfused
over and over again. It is almost never bitter and lasts quite a
while. They tend to be very fragrant. A great one for those new to
oolong is tung ting or bao zhong. (I know there are other spellings
of these) Very nice sensory experience with warm tea and good
fragrance.

cheers,

Pamela

(Sally P.) wrote in message . com>...
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a green tea recommendation - something that I can keep
> in the bottom of my tea mug, in the common Chinese fashion, through
> several infusions during the afternoon at work. Has anyone found a
> particular green that's been good - i.e. fairly forgiving and not
> bitter, etc. - for drinking in this way? I'm eying certain greens at
> Special Teas and Upton, but would love to hear a recommendation...
>
> Thanks!
>
> sp

Ripon

Peter Roozemaal > wrote in message >...
> Sally P. wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a green tea recommendation - something that I can keep
> > in the bottom of my tea mug, in the common Chinese fashion, through
> > several infusions during the afternoon at work.

> I am drinking Bai Mu Dan in the way you describe. (Well, officially it
> is a white tea...) Taste is on the woody side. A flowery tea you could
> try is Pi Lo Chun, but that requires more care with water temperature
> than the Bai Mu Dan.

Peter:

Bai Mu Dan is same as white peony, isn't it?

Ripon
(From Bangladesh)