Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Some questions Yixing teapots and good sources

Forgive if this question has been endlessly covered before but Google
search sucks wind indexing this newsgroup (try a search on this group
for either Yixing or Zisha).

I am at the point in my tea consumption of buying some Yixing teapots.
I have purchased three from www.yixing.com (a traditional design, a
circular design, and a dragon design). These were non-ornate 200-400ml
pots in the $40 range. Each came with a nice box with the CIB import
sticker. At that price, I didn't expect a certificate of authenticity
(and didn't get one). However even with chopmarks on the pot, there is
no guarantee the teapots are really zisha or even come from Yi Xing.
But I am satisfied with the purchase and one pot is used with pu-erh
and another with oolongs.

I quickly discovered important variations which will make me more
discerning about future purchases (internal strainer, large enough
pouring hole in the spout, teapot volume, properly fitting lid). Which
brings the questions.

What is the usual price range for similar but "common" Yixing teapots?
With emphasis on producing better tea than for collectability or
resale, how much does price affect the taste of the brewed tea? What
companies enjoy a reputation for their common wares and for their more
ornate wares? (And why do so many company omit the capacity of the
teapot in their description?) Any other issues of which I should know?

Thanks!

cdv
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

You need to find a well stocked Chinatown and do some comparison
shopping. My last couple of purchases have been from porcelain
shoppes. I bought what I call Have Yixing Will Travel gongfu set with
all the seals and paperwork. I bought some yixing mugs when touched by
the lips produced a tactile sensation which is one of my criteria for
yixing. Dont forget the ping. You should be able to turn the lid like
it is floating on liquid bearings. It has to look good enough to
eat. What youll see in Chinatown gongfu sessions is the pot held
vertical without the lid falling out. My local Chinese tea shoppe
sells one of these for about $100. I know someone in Taiwan who buys
antique yixing from the 80s and before. From what I know the
desirable yixing was depleted in the early 90s. There is enough
antique yixing around so who knows what we buy today will be worth
tomorrow. I dont think anything can beat yixing form and function. I
like simple and elegant. I dont like motifs. I dont use yixing on a
daily basis because I find gongfu impractical. From what I see you
have a base from which to build on your yixing collection.

Jim

PS I dont know the purpose of the Chinese Inspection Bureau. Maybe
to make sure antiques arent being exported.

On Aug 25, 11:30 pm, Chris DeVoney > wrote:
> Forgive if this question has been endlessly covered before but Google
> search sucks wind indexing this newsgroup (try a search on this group
> for either Yixing or Zisha).
>
> I am at the point in my tea consumption of buying some Yixing teapots.
> I have purchased three fromwww.yixing.com(a traditional design, a
> circular design, and a dragon design). These were non-ornate 200-400ml
> pots in the $40 range. Each came with a nice box with the CIB import
> sticker. At that price, I didn't expect a certificate of authenticity
> (and didn't get one). However even with chopmarks on the pot, there is
> no guarantee the teapots are really zisha or even come from Yi Xing.
> But I am satisfied with the purchase and one pot is used with pu-erh
> and another with oolongs.
>
> I quickly discovered important variations which will make me more
> discerning about future purchases (internal strainer, large enough
> pouring hole in the spout, teapot volume, properly fitting lid). Which
> brings the questions.
>
> What is the usual price range for similar but "common" Yixing teapots?
> With emphasis on producing better tea than for collectability or
> resale, how much does price affect the taste of the brewed tea? What
> companies enjoy a reputation for their common wares and for their more
> ornate wares? (And why do so many company omit the capacity of the
> teapot in their description?) Any other issues of which I should know?
>
> Thanks!
>
> cdv

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 26, 1:30*am, Chris DeVoney > wrote:
> Forgive if this question has been endlessly covered before but Google
> search sucks wind indexing this newsgroup (try a search on this group
> for either Yixing or Zisha).
>
> I am at the point in my tea consumption of buying some Yixing teapots.
> I have purchased three fromwww.yixing.com(a traditional design, a
> circular design, and a dragon design). These were non-ornate 200-400ml
> pots in the $40 range. Each came with a nice box with the CIB import
> sticker. At that price, I didn't expect a certificate of authenticity
> (and didn't get one). However even with chopmarks on the pot, there is
> no guarantee the teapots are really zisha or even come from Yi Xing.
> But I am satisfied with the purchase and one pot is used with pu-erh
> and another with oolongs.
>
> I quickly discovered important variations which will make me more
> discerning about future purchases (internal strainer, large enough
> pouring hole in the spout, teapot volume, properly fitting lid). Which
> brings the questions.
>
> What is the usual price range for similar but "common" Yixing teapots?
> With emphasis on producing better tea than for collectability or
> resale, how much does price affect the taste of the brewed tea? What
> companies enjoy a reputation for their common wares and for their more
> ornate wares? (And why do so many company omit the capacity of the
> teapot in their description?) Any other issues of which I should know?
>
> Thanks!
>
> cdv

My best suggestion is to purchase one from Stephane Erler. His
offerings are generally far better than what is easily available and
his prices are very reasonable. I have been selectively collecting
Yixing since the mid 90s and the quality is totally gone (in America)
outside of very high-priced antiques or new creations from a handful
of skilled artists.

The best advice I can give is to not go for quantity. There's no race
and no prize. Notice I didn't say quality not quantity, just not
quantity. Quality is subjective and I have a few pieces that are not
of any noteworthy quality but are very meaningful and work perfectly.
I also have a couple of decent to high quality and they are great and
have their place.

They require care and they also require almost a relationship to
become special and important, there is just no way to spread the love
amongst a bunch of them. Unless they are just destined to become
ornaments, then go whichever way you want... preferably the cheapest
ones and leave the good stuff for those who use them. Take your time,
examine what it is you like and don't like about each of what you
have. Choose the type of tea, the manner of brewing, the type and
number of cups you plan to use, and then focus on finding the piece
that fits that all perfectly.

My 2g worth,
- Dominic
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 3, 11:35*pm, "www.teapittsburgh.com"
> wrote:
> Hi:
> *If you look on line you can find some Yixing teapots at $19.99 and
> up. I will send you a link.

I think the goal was to *not* end up with mass-produced junk.

- Dominic
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

An update to the search:

I have bought two pots in Seattle's Chinatown last month: one a
Tiwanese from Lin's Ceramics Studio and one a nicely-scribed Yixing
zisha. Both were overpriced but attractive and locally available
(i.e.,they could be making tea that evening in my home).

The Tiwanese is fully-glazed and holds about eight ounces. The Lin's
ping is too shallow and requires a finger through a fast mid-pour. The
pot uses an interior metal screen for the spout which works well but a
fingerless pour starts less forcefully because of the ping. Given the
glazing, teas (except pu-erh) could be mixed freely between brew outs
rather than dedicating a pot to a tea type. (I don't think a quick
wash gets rid of a pu-erh's smell/taste.)

The Yixing, obviously unglazed, holds about 14 ounces, and is about
everything I expect from a Yixing. The ping is deep and rotates
freely. Both inside and outside has the right feel. The pour is fast
and smooth.

The disadvantage to this and all of the Yixing I have purchase is that
they are good for sharing with U.S. teacups but makes too much for my
solitary usual drinking vessel at home (a 12- ounce mug ... I know,
heresy) or for tradition couple-ounce tea cups. Given the experience,
my next Yixing will be smaller to fit a single coffee cup or a couple
tea cups. Comparing the quality of this new pot, the other Yixings I
purchased may become decorations on a shelf.

The local experience was exceptionally valuable and has honed the
search. I did exchange email with Stephane Erler and will buy one of
the pots offered within the next sixty days.

I will also add the store selling the first pot is owned by a Tiwanese
national. Through a translator, he spoke of the industrialization of
China polluting the zisha clay making the brewed tea less safe while
Tiwanese tea pots having a glazed white interior and firing at 1400
(or so) degrees prevents it from polluting the tea. I asked several
questions, kept a straight face, and enjoyed multiple brewings of a
couple oolongs. Note I still bought the pot and one of the medium
oolongs. I considered the story the "entertainment."

The advice has been greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cdv

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2009-10-06, Chris DeVoney > wrote:

> The Yixing, obviously unglazed, holds about 14 ounces, and is about
> everything I expect from a Yixing. The ping is deep and rotates
> freely. Both inside and outside has the right feel. The pour is fast
> and smooth.

I see several references to the "ping". What do you mean by "the ping"?
Are you talking about the lid?

> The disadvantage to this and all of the Yixing I have purchase is that
> they are good for sharing with U.S. teacups but makes too much for my
> solitary usual drinking vessel at home (a 12- ounce mug ... I know,
> heresy) or for tradition couple-ounce tea cups.
> my next Yixing will be smaller to fit a single coffee cup or a couple
> tea cups.

To me, even enough to fill a coffee cup is way too big for solitary
drinking... if you are brewing your tea multiple times, you're going to
end up with way too much tea this way. You could use less tea leaf, but
the results will be different. For me, anywhere between 60 ml to 200 ml
(~ 2-8oz) is ideal, and I only use brewing vessels on the larger size of
that spectrum when brewing for > 5 people. Even if you use a slightly
larger cup, a 100ml (3.5 oz) pot is more than big enough for 1-2 people,
even when stuffed with leaf.

Try brewing with a small pot and much smaller cups, and I think you will
find that you are better able to appreciate the flavors of the tea.

As far as glazed pots go, I would strongly advise getting a gaiwan or
two - easier to use and clean than a pot, and very convenient.

Where did you go in Seattle? I would suggest checking out Floating
Leaves; their selection of pots isn't huge, but the owner knows what she
is talking about. There is also New Century Tea Gallery in Chinatown,
which might be worth a visit if you haven't gone there already. Also, if
you make it up to Vancouver, there are some excellent teaware shops
there.

Btw, it's "Taiwanese", not "Tiwanese".

--
Multi-lingual forum for Chinese and Japanese tea and teawa
http://teadrunk.org/

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 6, 1:11*am, Chris DeVoney > wrote:
> An update to the search:
>
> I have bought two pots in Seattle's Chinatown last month: one a
> Tiwanese from Lin's Ceramics Studio and one a nicely-scribed Yixing
> zisha. Both were overpriced but attractive and locally available
> (i.e.,they could be making tea that evening in my home).
>
> The Tiwanese is fully-glazed and holds about eight ounces. The Lin's
> ping is too shallow and requires a finger through a fast mid-pour. The
> pot uses an interior metal screen for the spout which works well but a
> fingerless pour starts less forcefully because of the ping. Given the
> glazing, teas (except pu-erh) could be mixed freely between brew outs
> rather than dedicating a pot to a tea type. (I don't think a quick
> wash gets rid of a pu-erh's smell/taste.)
>
> The Yixing, obviously unglazed, holds about 14 ounces, and is about
> everything I expect from a Yixing. The ping is deep and rotates
> freely. Both inside and outside has the right feel. The pour is fast
> and smooth.
>
> The disadvantage to this and all of the Yixing I have purchase is that
> they are good for sharing with U.S. teacups *but makes too much for my
> solitary usual drinking vessel at home (a 12- ounce mug ... I know,
> heresy) or for tradition couple-ounce tea cups. Given the experience,
> my next Yixing will be smaller to fit a single coffee cup or a couple
> tea cups. Comparing the quality of this new pot, the other Yixings I
> purchased may become decorations on a shelf.
>
> The local experience was exceptionally valuable and has honed the
> search. I did exchange email with Stephane Erler and will buy one of
> the pots offered within the next sixty days.
>
> I will also add the store selling the first pot is owned by a Tiwanese
> national. Through a translator, he spoke of the industrialization of
> China polluting the zisha clay making the brewed tea less safe while
> Tiwanese tea pots having a glazed white interior and firing at 1400
> (or so) degrees prevents it from polluting the tea. I asked several
> questions, kept a straight face, and enjoyed multiple brewings of a
> couple oolongs. Note I still bought the pot and one of the medium
> oolongs. I considered the story the "entertainment."
>
> The advice has been greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>
> cdv

We may be on a different page here with our concepts of Yixing, not
saying you are wrong or can't enjoy what you want, just that it might
not be quite what I would consider. I'm with Will in that I go for
3-8oz. (8oz. being at most and almost just decorative) with a sweet
spot of 3-4oz. and 6oz. pots. No glazed pots, and no metal inserts.

Some of my first pots were larger just because I didn't know better
and was used to standard tea kettle sizes so one assumes more is
better. Again, you may want to check into some more traditional pots
before you go spending a whole lot more on these ones.

- Dominic
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I used to be mainly a coffee guy, treating it more as a hobby and
passion than a mere cup of joe. But I really enjoyed the coffee, both
drip and espresso/espresso concoctions. So maybe I am treating my new
passion (tea) like coffee. I am mostly steeping tea in a 10 oz metal
teapot to make a mug of tea. Alternatively, I drink tea out of a tall
(Japanese ?) style tea cup which is about 8 oz and looks like a thin
coffee mug with no handle. I am enjoying it immensely, but maybe I am
missing something because I see so much teaware that is geared toward
a 2 oz cup, and I read your post that indicates the same. Maybe you
treat the tea more like espresso, in that it is sipped in small cups
and not "gulped" out of a big mug? I suspect there is no definitive
wrong or right way, but I am sure that some teas can be enjoyed more
in different formats. Any thoughts, links, book recommendations are
appreciated.

Ed
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 6, 11:55*am, Ed > wrote:
> I used to be mainly a coffee guy, treating it more as a hobby and
> passion than a mere cup of joe. *But I really enjoyed the coffee, both
> drip and espresso/espresso concoctions. *So maybe I am treating my new
> passion (tea) like coffee. *I am mostly steeping tea in a 10 oz metal
> teapot to make a mug of tea. *Alternatively, I drink tea out of a tall
> (Japanese ?) style tea cup which is about 8 oz and looks like a thin
> coffee mug with no handle. *I am enjoying it immensely, but maybe I am
> missing something because I see so much teaware that is geared toward
> a 2 oz cup, and I read your post that indicates the same. *Maybe you
> treat the tea more like espresso, in that it is sipped in small cups
> and not "gulped" out of a big mug? *I suspect there is no definitive
> wrong or right way, but I am sure that some teas can be enjoyed more
> in different formats. *Any thoughts, links, book recommendations are
> appreciated.
>
> Ed

No "right" or "wrong" but each region/country/style is different. A
cuppa in England might consist of a larger mug of tea, a cup in a gong
fu session might be slightly larger than a thimble. I, personally,
range based on the particular tea and what it is best presented as or
with my mood. I'll do a mug of regular tea and honey or chai, or a
carefully prepared oolong in a small 1-2oz. teacup over many steeps.
I've also been known to brew some oolong or jasmine green in a bigger
three-piece strainer mug. For reference you would have to pick a
country and a region and study their particular style, it varies
wildly.

- Dominic
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 6, 12:27*pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> On Oct 6, 11:55*am, Ed > wrote:
>

> > I used to be mainly a coffee guy, treating it more as a hobby and
> > passion than a mere cup of joe. *But I really enjoyed the coffee, both
> > drip and espresso/espresso concoctions. *So maybe I am treating my new
> > passion (tea) like coffee. *I am mostly steeping tea in a 10 oz metal
> > teapot to make a mug of tea. *Alternatively, I drink tea out of a tall
> > (Japanese ?) style tea cup which is about 8 oz and looks like a thin
> > coffee mug with no handle. *I am enjoying it immensely, but maybe I am
> > missing something because I see so much teaware that is geared toward
> > a 2 oz cup, and I read your post that indicates the same. *Maybe you
> > treat the tea more like espresso, in that it is sipped in small cups
> > and not "gulped" out of a big mug? *I suspect there is no definitive
> > wrong or right way, but I am sure that some teas can be enjoyed more
> > in different formats. *Any thoughts, links, book recommendations are
> > appreciated.

> > Ed

> No "right" or "wrong" but each region/country/style is different. A
> cuppa in England might consist of a larger mug of tea, a cup in a gong
> fu session might be slightly larger than a thimble. I, personally,
> range based on the particular tea and what it is best presented as or
> with my mood. I'll do a mug of regular tea and honey or chai, or a
> carefully prepared oolong in a small 1-2oz. teacup over many steeps.
> I've also been known to brew some oolong or jasmine green in a bigger
> three-piece strainer mug. For reference you would have to pick a
> country and a region and study their particular style, it varies
> wildly.
>
> - Dominic

Any good resources for learning more about this?

Ed

Used Yixing teapots Jazzy[_2_] Tea 15 17-08-2007 01:50 PM
yixing teapots pgwk Tea 0 20-04-2007 05:07 AM
Best way to clean old Yixing teapots? KM Tea 5 07-01-2007 10:27 AM
2 questions re Yixing teapots Dee Randall Asian Cooking 1 11-10-2006 04:58 PM
yixing teapots Tom Tea 42 23-01-2004 01:12 PM