Posted to alt.food.asian

Default 2 questions re Yixing teapots

http://www.holymtn.com/teapots/yixing.htm
"The Yixing teapot is free of lead, arsenic, cadmium, and other toxic
materials. Because of the unique properties of the Yixing clays, Yixing ware
is unlike other unglazed earthenware teapots. The Yixing teapot has a fine
and solid texture, a four percent water absorption rate, a very low thermal
conductivity, and a double air hole design which enhances the pot's brewing
properties. The principal standards for evaluating a teapot's brewing
quality are the color of the tea soup produced and the level of tea phenol,
caffeine, and aminophylline. The performance of the Yixing teapot is far
superior to that of the standard teapot with respect to all four of these
criteria. Hence, not only are Yixing teapots beautiful and unique works of
art, but they are excellent brewing vessels."

Has anyone heard whether or not Yixing teapots have 'knockoffs' that do
include lead, arsenic, cadmium -- or is it a safe bet that when you purchase
a "yixing' tea pot that it will be as stated - no toxic materials.

I would like to purchase such pot for only one type of tea, oolong, as I
like very much oolong and want to keep a teapot separate for my own use - DH
doesn't like oolong. Does not washing these pots with soap present any
problems? I recall using the large clay pots in the 70's which were
supposed to be immersed in water for absorption in cooking, but after a
while, the pores were closed and would not absorbe water any longer. I know
that tea (looking at a glass tea pot) does stick to the sides of the pot and
I wonder what problems it might present.

Any comments appreciated,
Dee Randall

Posted to alt.food.asian

Dee Randall wrote:
> Has anyone heard whether or not Yixing teapots have 'knockoffs' that do
> include lead, arsenic, cadmium -- or is it a safe bet that when you purchase
> a "yixing' tea pot that it will be as stated - no toxic materials.

In China they make knockoffs of everything*, I'm not suprised if this
is on the list. I think if you buy from a reputable source with
documentation then it should be safe.

* one example - knockoff baby formula, which contains only sugar and
starch, leading to several baby deaths

Old Yixing teapots on Ebay Bill Wolfe Tea 31 27-09-2010 02:03 PM
Some questions Yixing teapots and good sources Chris DeVoney Tea 9 06-10-2009 06:25 PM
Used Yixing teapots Jazzy[_2_] Tea 15 17-08-2007 01:50 PM
yixing teapots pgwk Tea 0 20-04-2007 05:07 AM
yixing teapots Tom Tea 42 23-01-2004 01:12 PM