Tom

Default yixing teapots

Anybody done business with these guys?:

http://www.silkroadtrade.com/yixingzisha.htm

I like the clay descriptions but I don't know them.

--Tom
-oo-
""\o~
------------------------------------
"Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
Terrance
Michael Plant

12/30/03

> Anybody done business with these guys?:

http://www.silkroadtrade.com/yixingzisha.htm

> I like the clay descriptions but I don't know them.
>
> --Tom
> -oo-
> ""\o~
> ------------------------------------
> "Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
> Terrance

Tom,

I've been looking seriously and carefully at their site too. I also like the
clay descriptions, but the e-bay thing is annoying. Also, I haven't found a
pot quite exactly to my liking. Keep us posted on other companies; I'm in
the market for a little teapot, but it has to be just right -- whatever that
may mean.

Michael

Joanne Rosen

what a lovely website-
i just placed a bid on a teapot-
joanne
"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> 12/30/03
>

> > Anybody done business with these guys?:

http://www.silkroadtrade.com/yixingzisha.htm

> > I like the clay descriptions but I don't know them.
> >
> > --Tom
> > -oo-
> > ""\o~
> > ------------------------------------
> > "Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
> > Terrance

> Tom,
>
> I've been looking seriously and carefully at their site too. I also like

the
> clay descriptions, but the e-bay thing is annoying. Also, I haven't found

> pot quite exactly to my liking. Keep us posted on other companies; I'm in
> the market for a little teapot, but it has to be just right -- whatever

that
> may mean.
>
> Michael

---

This site has some interesting Yixing teapots, as well as accessories

http://funalliance.com/tea/teafamily.htm

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:22:24

GMT, "Joanne Rosen" > wrote:

>what a lovely website-
>i just placed a bid on a teapot-
>joanne
>"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
>> 12/30/03
>>

>> > Anybody done business with these guys?:

http://www.silkroadtrade.com/yixingzisha.htm

>> > I like the clay descriptions but I don't know them.
>> >
>> > --Tom
>> > -oo-
>> > ""\o~
>> > ------------------------------------
>> > "Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
>> > Terrance

>> Tom,
>>
>> I've been looking seriously and carefully at their site too. I also like

>the
>> clay descriptions, but the e-bay thing is annoying. Also, I haven't found

>> pot quite exactly to my liking. Keep us posted on other companies; I'm in
>> the market for a little teapot, but it has to be just right -- whatever

>that
>> may mean.
>>
>> Michael
>>

>---

Michael Plant

12/31/03 15:03Saracen

> This site has some interesting Yixing teapots, as well as accessories

http://funalliance.com/tea/teafamily.htm

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I've been corresponding laely with
the proprietors of Silkroadtrade and so far find their information and
knowledge of their individual pots to be the best. (Thank you, person who
recommended them.) Kam's pots are just a little too cute and cuddly for me,
as are 99.999% of the yixing teapots available today. I think the whole
industry is geared to a large degree to collecting and displaying. For
actual use, I go for the simple, traditional and understated. The tea speaks
for itself.

(These are no more than expressions of personal taste; please don't let them
upset you undrooly.)

Best,
Michael

Michael Plant

Joanne,

[mentioned she bid for a silkroadtrade teapot on e-Bay...]

Hope you win your teapot. Please share about it. I'm very interested.

Michael

Joanne Rosen

Yes, I bid and won the item-
shipping is $19 with insurance-a little expensive for an $8 tea pot-
I will keep everyone informed about arrival, etc.

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> Joanne,
>
> [mentioned she bid for a silkroadtrade teapot on e-Bay...]
>
> Hope you win your teapot. Please share about it. I'm very interested.
>
> Michael

---

Michael Plant

Joanne hlink.net1/2/04

> Yes, I bid and won the item-
> shipping is $19 with insurance-a little expensive for an $8 tea pot-
> I will keep everyone informed about arrival, etc.

Joanne,

Good for you.
Which teapot was it?

Michael

Joanne Rosen

CHINESE YIXING ZISHA TEAPOT! ZHUNI COURTYARD
i enjoy brewing tea in attractive pots-i think it adds to the experience-
joanne

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> Joanne hlink.net1/2/04
>

> > Yes, I bid and won the item-
> > shipping is $19 with insurance-a little expensive for an $8 tea pot-
> > I will keep everyone informed about arrival, etc.

> Joanne,
>
> Good for you.
> Which teapot was it?
>
> Michael

---

Dog Ma 1

"Michael Plant" > wrote
> ... Kam's pots are just a little too cute and cuddly for me,
> as are 99.999% of the yixing teapots available today. I think the whole
> industry is geared to a large degree to collecting and displaying. For
> actual use, I go for the simple, traditional and understated.

My favorites are some simple but exquisitely elegant pots made from very
thin clay that I picked up on business trips to Japan. Don't know if they
are yixing copies, homegrown or what. Any big department store has lovely
pots that are superbly made for $20~50: not cheap, but I've never seen
anything as nice for sale in the US or UK, even in SF's Japan-town. I went a
couple of times to a Tokyo satellite-city called Machida, which I'm told is
notable for claywork. They have (or had, a few years back) shops just full
of superb teaware. Wish I'd bought more, as I gave most away, and am
unlikely to return.

Does anyone have a site on which we could post photos for this NG? I'd be
happy to contribute a few.

-DM

Michael Ryan

Anyone, looking for top grade teapots directly from the artist or
China e-mail me I have personal contacts with many artist and can get
you anything you want any price range any quality. I will not sell
crap I do not sell crap I take my teapots serious most of my teapots
are high-grade clay for daily use. I am not going to spam or anything
here because I would love to read and write articles, you can guess my
website by my e-mail address and feel free to e-mail me anytime.

Sincerely,
Michael Ryan
Tom

Anybody know how to date chinese teapots?

I just bought 4 more, 2 yixing, 1 jade & 1 turquois.

I bought them because I like how they look. Several of the sellers made claims
as to the age of these pieces. While I feel that I got good deals regardless
of the age,I would love to know how much bull**** is accompanying my purchases.

--Tom
-oo-
""\o~
------------------------------------
"Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
Terrance
Michael Ryan

rown (Tom) wrote in message >...
> Anybody know how to date chinese teapots?
>
> I just bought 4 more, 2 yixing, 1 jade & 1 turquois.
>
> I bought them because I like how they look. Several of the sellers made claims
> as to the age of these pieces. While I feel that I got good deals regardless
> of the age,I would love to know how much bull**** is accompanying my purchases.
>

> --Tom
> -oo-
> ""\o~
> ------------------------------------
> "Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
> Terrance

Hello, Tom

It is hard to date a Yixing teapot there are so many fakes out there
it would blow your mind. The best way to buy an old teapot is to
spend a lot of time building a relationship with someone and hope that
this person knows what he or she are doing because even the best of
the best can be fooled. In China within the antique teapot market, I
feel confidant to say 99% are fake. There are something's to look for
mainly shoe polish if it smells like shoe polish then it is fake. Not
shinny in areas like the handle (always held), the knob on the lid
etc... In addition, a used teapot for year's stains in certain areas,
use common sense when buying these pots look for unnaturally stained
areas. Mainly if you got it on e-bay for $9.99, it is fake. If you
have it and you think it is real then that is all that matters you
bought it for your enjoyment, even thermo luminescent testing can be
fooled so there is never any one sure thing except your own mind.

mandjs

Michael Plant

Michael 1/15/04

(Marshall Dermer) wrote in message
>> In article >

>> (Michael Ryan) writes:
>>> Anyone, looking for top grade teapots directly from the artist or
>>> China e-mail me I have personal contacts with many artist and can get
>>> you anything you want any price range.....
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Michael Ryan

>> Extraordinarily beautiful pots at extraordinary prices ~$300.
>>
>> --Marshall

> Quality and art does not come cheap, these teapots are not even seen
> in the U.S because the comprehensions of such work is not widely
> appreciated yet out side of Asia. I sell teapots online for $15.00
> that others sell for $65 (want to see and example just ask) I also
> sell $200 and over teapots online that others will not sell because
> they do not even know what they are or what the value of them are...
> expensive you bet the best offered online.. you bet!

You can buy a Long Jin at the corner Chinese market for $8.00 a pound or you
can buy it from ITC or another quality oriented company for $450.00 a pound.
There is NOTHING wrong with the former; it's toasty qualities and lack of
"complexity" might be the perfect thing for you or me. But, to another the
latter's multilayered complexity, painstaking hand-picking and working and
it's appearance in the cup and pot might render it well worth the price. The
art world (note China of late) places intrinsic value. I've rambled enough.

Michael

Marshall Dermer

I explored previous posts on this group and discovered that
this header was used before. The thread contained a URL
to a most remarkable site:

http://www.silkroadtrade.com/yixingzisha.htm

This URL can also lead you to the company's e-bay store.

http://www.stores.ebay.com/silkroadtrade

It is true that Yixing teapots are handmade but really the correct
term would be "hand-assembled." Why? Because the teapot components
are formed in molds into which clay slip is poured.

As for buying a $300 teapot, I could not overlook the
puffery in the quote below:

"As for curing your teapot I will tell you what Xu Han Tang' s brother
Xu Xui Tang says in his book about Yixing teapots. For your
reference, in case you do no not know who Xu Han Tang is he is the
best Yixing teapot artists alive today. They say he is as good as Gu
Jing Zhou was when he was alive."

Really, China has an estimated population of: 1,260,000,000!
And someone is telling us that some unknow people "they" consider
Xu Han Tang to be the best .......

--Marshall
Michael Ryan

(Marshall Dermer) wrote in message >...
> I explored previous posts on this group and discovered that
> this header was used before. The thread contained a URL
> to a most remarkable site:

http://www.silkroadtrade.com/yixingzisha.htm

> This URL can also lead you to the company's e-bay store.
>
> http://www.stores.ebay.com/silkroadtrade
>
> It is true that Yixing teapots are handmade but really the correct
> term would be "hand-assembled." Why? Because the teapot components
> are formed in molds into which clay slip is poured.
>
> As for buying a $300 teapot, I could not overlook the
> puffery in the quote below:
>
> "As for curing your teapot I will tell you what Xu Han Tang' s brother
> Xu Xui Tang says in his book about Yixing teapots. For your
> reference, in case you do no not know who Xu Han Tang is he is the
> best Yixing teapot artists alive today. They say he is as good as Gu
> Jing Zhou was when he was alive."
>
> Really, China has an estimated population of: 1,260,000,000!
> And someone is telling us that some unknow people "they" consider
> Xu Han Tang to be the best .......
>
> --Marshall

Hey, Marshall

You are correct about slip clay being poured into a mold you can get
these mass produces teapots very easily online for $9.99 and if you
look in the right places (^^) you can even find them for $50-$60!
However, not all Yixing teapots are made this way. Why are there so
many Yixing teapot artists in China? Do they all sit around, pour
clay into molds, and call themselves artist if so then I am an artist
too? Maybe I can ask the 1.2 billion people in China who the best
teapot mold maker is and have that person make a mold and then Xu Han
Tang and someone who does not know a spout from a handle can just sit
around everyday and make the exact same quality teapots all day long.
If it were that simple then you would not see artist making them only
factory workers. If you want hand "made items", you pay for the skill
and the time of the person making it.

Question: If Yixing teapots are, "hand-Assembled" as you call it then
why collect them?

Answer: People collect them because they have feeling and heart inside
you cannot get that from a Mold.

If you want, the slip poured "hand-Assembled" teapots I am sure your
link that you provided above will get you to the right place for these
types of teapots.

I am no flaming anyone I am only putting in the other side of the
story.

mandjs
Marshall Dermer

In article >
(Michael Ryan) writes:
>> "As for curing your teapot I will tell you what Xu Han Tang' s brother
>> Xu Xui Tang says in his book about Yixing teapots. For your
>> reference, in case you do no not know who Xu Han Tang is he is the
>> best Yixing teapot artists alive today. They say he is as good as Gu
>> Jing Zhou was when he was alive."
>>
>> Really, China has an estimated population of: 1,260,000,000!
>> And someone is telling us that some unknow people "they" consider
>> Xu Han Tang to be the best .......
>>
>> --Marshall

>Hey, Marshall
>
>You are correct about slip clay being poured into a mold you can get
>these mass produces teapots very easily online for $9.99 and if you
>look in the right places (^^) you can even find them for $50-$60!
>However, not all Yixing teapots are made this way.

OK Michael. Then I would think this distinction is important.
But if the "high-end" pots you sell were not molded then their
dimensions would vary greatly from pot-to-pot and the dimenions
you cite would be highly inaccurate!

So, tell us, are molds used to form the "high-end" pots you
sell?

>I am no flaming anyone I am only putting in the other side of the
>story.

I understand. You really sound like a reasonable guy. But advertising
often contains "puffery":

http://www.agecon.uga.edu/~caed/deceptivead.pdf

http://www.mises.org/freemarket_deta...rder=subjec t

http://www.adlaw.com/rc/newsltrs/archive/arc_3_96c.html

Claiming that X is the best Y in China is an instance of puffery.
It is not illegal but many find it offensive.

Michael, sincere thanks for your informative posts. My only gripe
is with a bit of puffery.

Let me put it this way:

Your USENET posts are the most informative USENET posts ever!

If you miss one of Michael Ryan's posts, then you're ill- prepared to drink
your first daily cup of tea.

You expect more from Michael and you get it! :-)

--Marshall

Michael Ryan

(Michael Ryan) writes:
> >> "As for curing your teapot I will tell you what Xu Han Tang' s brother
> >> Xu Xui Tang says in his book about Yixing teapots. For your
> >> reference, in case you do no not know who Xu Han Tang is he is the
> >> best Yixing teapot artists alive today. They say he is as good as Gu
> >> Jing Zhou was when he was alive."
> >>
> >> Really, China has an estimated population of: 1,260,000,000!
> >> And someone is telling us that some unknow people "they" consider
> >> Xu Han Tang to be the best .......
> >>
> >> --Marshall

> >Hey, Marshall
> >
> >You are correct about slip clay being poured into a mold you can get
> >these mass produces teapots very easily online for $9.99 and if you
> >look in the right places (^^) you can even find them for $50-$60!
> >However, not all Yixing teapots are made this way.

> OK Michael. Then I would think this distinction is important.
> But if the "high-end" pots you sell were not molded then their
> dimensions would vary greatly from pot-to-pot and the dimenions
> you cite would be highly inaccurate!
>
> So, tell us, are molds used to form the "high-end" pots you
> sell?
>
> >I am no flaming anyone I am only putting in the other side of the
> >story.

> I understand. You really sound like a reasonable guy. But advertising
> often contains "puffery":

http://www.agecon.uga.edu/~caed/deceptivead.pdf

> http://www.mises.org/freemarket_deta...rder=subjec t
>
> http://www.adlaw.com/rc/newsltrs/archive/arc_3_96c.html
>
> Claiming that X is the best Y in China is an instance of puffery.
> It is not illegal but many find it offensive.
>
> Michael, sincere thanks for your informative posts. My only gripe
> is with a bit of puffery.
>
> Let me put it this way:
>
> Your USENET posts are the most informative USENET posts ever!
>
> If you miss one of Michael Ryan's posts, then you're ill- prepared to drink
> your first daily cup of tea.
>
> You expect more from Michael and you get it! :-)
>
> --Marshall

Hey Marshall,

Here is how it is done, when an artist decides to make a teapot he
knows, he is typically not going too just make one. Upon the first
one, her/she will get the clay ready, not liquid slip clay but
formable thick clay like molding clay and roll it out, as you would
sugar cookie dough getting ready to be cut (that made me crave sugar
cookies). They then use a drafting like compass to make a circle for
the bottom of the teapot and the lid etc… They then cut a single
strip for the body and then roll pieces for the handle and spout.
Once all of these raw pieces are cut, they are measured and recorded.

Here is where you could say some of the parts are mass-assembled, when
they make a pot they do not make one base or lid at a time instead
they use three or four sheets of clay and cut them at the same time
ensuring that each one is cut with the recorded measurements each
time. Imagine four sheets of clay all the same thickness sitting side
by side and then cutting out a pre measured square or a circle through
all three or four of them all at one sitting, this is where you get
consistency. The more skillful the artists the more individual parts
they can work on at one time to speed up the process.

The next thing is to make is a basic mold for the handle and or spout
(this typically will be the only molds on a hand made teapot). This
mold is a very generic mold with only the basic shape in mind. They
use this mold more like a press because the clay is too thick to pour.
Handmade teapots are made this way. They for sure are not poured
into a mold. Slip Clay Molds were not used in Yixing teapots until
around the Cultural Revolution (1967-1977) because Zi Sha clay is not
easily made into slip clay due to the larger rock fragments within the
clay and its natural consistency. This is when the mass produced
Yixing teapots made their way to you local China Town tourist trap.

In China, the Chinese Central Arts & Crafts Association (CCACA for
short this maybe not the official acronym) is a government ran
organization they are the ones responsible for awarding and ranking
artist in their field. There are two very big Yixing tea potters
names in China, one of them is Xu Han Tang, and the other is Jiang
Rong. Both Xu Han Tang and Jiang Rong are one of the few people
classified as Master Artist in the CCACA.

According to the CCACA Xu Han Tang is in the top five living Yixing
teapot artist in his field (argued the best) of making traditional
Yixing teapots. Jiang Rong is the top five living Yixing teapot
artist in her field that makes non-traditional nature style teapots.
You also have to look at it like this who says Monet, Degas, Renoir,
and Van Gogh are the most famous artist in the world would one accuse
me of Puffery if I said that? Nope, I do not sell their works and I
do not sell Xu Han Tang teapots either, they are too darn expensive.
Of course, if you want one I cam arrange a meeting and you can fly
here and get one yourself because if you are going to spend eight
grand on one of this less expensive teapots you better fly here and
make sure he is the one making it.

Thanks Marshall, for your kind comments I am happy to share anything I
know about Tea & Teapots with all of you, just remember I do not claim
to know everything and I will always take criticism in stride. If I
thought, I knew it all I will would be incapable of learning anything.

One more thing I will be visiting some friends in Yixing maybe in
February I will take some pictures of artist making teapots for all of
you to enjoy. That also may make my descriptions above more clear.

mandjs
Michael

snip snip snip snip

> Sincerely,
>
> --Marshall
>
> PS: In an earlier post in this thread, I used the word "puffery"
> and now I could not help but thing of this in relation to your
> first name. Do you know what "Michael" means in Hebrew?

Yes, I, for one, do; but, the Hebrew reference is not to Michael Ryan,
it's to me. Sorry for the confusion.

Michael Plant
Joanne Rosen

Default STOP

okay it is my turn to play" Debbie D."

enough selling of your products and website

"Michael Ryan" >

---

Yuriy Pragin

"Joanne Rosen" > wrote in message link.net>...
> okay it is my turn to play" Debbie D."
>
> enough selling of your products and website
>

> "Michael Ryan" >

Dear Joanne,

First of all I don't feel he is selling, and even if he wants to get
some exposure that's fine with me. He knows what he is talking about
and provides the group with valuable information. I personally very
happy to see him here and I'm looking forward to seeing more of his
revealing posts.
Mike Petro

Joanne,

Michael has helped me by educating me, above and beyond any business
transactions. I, for one, appreciate his posts. I feel that they are
predominantly informational with very little spam injected. Yes he has
a business and might be a little overt at times, but I think he brings
a lot to the table. Being in the business gives him a certain
credibility that most of us consumers just don't have.

Michael, I would refrain from directly criticizing other specific
vendors though, like the Lipton thing. It comes across as being less
than objective when everyone knows you have your own business.

Just MHO,

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Michael

Mike Petro > wrote in message >. ..

snip

> Michael, I would refrain from directly criticizing other specific
> vendors though, like the Lipton thing. It comes across as being less
> than objective when everyone knows you have your own business.
>
> Just MHO,

Mike's point is well taken all 'round. BTW, Michael, do you know the
English translation of the Hebrew that is our name? Or you Mike?
Yuk, yuk.

Whatever the "Lipton thing" was, and to add a bit of science to our
discussion, let me share the results of some empirical, albeit anecdotal,
evidence I've gathered in my many years of tea drinking:

***LIPTON SUCKS!!!***

There, I've said it again.

Michael

PS: Michael I'm looking forward to my Phoenices, which ought to arrive
in time for the great weekend tasting. I'll let you know how they went/
drank.

Cameron Lewis

"Joanne Rosen" > wrote in message link.net>...
> okay it is my turn to play" Debbie D."
>
> enough selling of your products and website
>

> "Michael Ryan" >
>

> ---

I haven't found Michael at all bothersome. I think he's been quite
helpful as a matter of fact.

Cameron
Tom

I agree.
Helpful & no noticible selling except the link to his shop.

>Subject: STOP
>From: (Cameron Lewis)
>Date: 1/19/2004 12:38 PM Eastern Standard Time

hlink.net>...

http://www.grisoft.com).

>I haven't found Michael at all bothersome. I think he's been quite
>helpful as a matter of fact.
>
>Cameron

--Tom
-oo-
""\o~
------------------------------------
"Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
Terrance
Michael Plant

Michael 1/17/04

> Hey Marshall,

snip

> Here is where you could say some of the parts are mass-assembled, when
> they make a pot they do not make one base or lid at a time instead
> they use three or four sheets of clay and cut them at the same time
> ensuring that each one is cut with the recorded measurements each
> time. Imagine four sheets of clay all the same thickness sitting side
> by side and then cutting out a pre measured square or a circle through
> all three or four of them all at one sitting, this is where you get
> consistency. The more skillful the artists the more individual parts
> they can work on at one time to speed up the process.
>
> The next thing is to make is a basic mold for the handle and or spout
> (this typically will be the only molds on a hand made teapot). This
> mold is a very generic mold with only the basic shape in mind. They
> use this mold more like a press because the clay is too thick to pour.

Your paragraph above presents the only puzzlement for me. I always "pulled"
handles using well aged clay, never used a "mold" as you describe. I would
think that the artist-potters you describe would pull handles as well.
Perhaps the small size of the handle makes it amenable more to molding.
Anyway, that surprised me.

snip

> In China, the Chinese Central Arts & Crafts Association (CCACA for
> short this maybe not the official acronym) is a government ran
> organization they are the ones responsible for awarding and ranking
> artist in their field. There are two very big Yixing tea potters
> names in China, one of them is Xu Han Tang, and the other is Jiang
> Rong. Both Xu Han Tang and Jiang Rong are one of the few people
> classified as Master Artist in the CCACA.

This link to Jian Rong's teapots might help. I can see the extraordinary
skill required to produce these, but they are not quite to my simplistic
simple taste.

<http://www.cnarts.net/eweb/KnowArts/zsty/zsjb/master/xdmj/Jiangrong/>

Please correct me if I have the wrong potter. (I couldn't find a link to Xu
Han Tang, although I'll keep looking.)

> According to the CCACA Xu Han Tang is in the top five living Yixing
> teapot artist in his field (argued the best) of making traditional
> Yixing teapots. Jiang Rong is the top five living Yixing teapot
> artist in her field that makes non-traditional nature style teapots.
> You also have to look at it like this who says Monet, Degas, Renoir,
> and Van Gogh are the most famous artist in the world would one accuse
> me of Puffery if I said that?

snip

> One more thing I will be visiting some friends in Yixing maybe in
> February I will take some pictures of artist making teapots for all of
> you to enjoy. That also may make my descriptions above more clear.

I'd enjoy seeing them.

Michael

Space Cowboy

Hi all,

The good news I got dsl. The bad news no newsgroup server. The good
news I can surf. The bad news I have too redouble my efforts to put
any WWW site mentioned in this group in my browser's prohibited
websites. Nothing worse than surfing then to stumble across someone's
clueless idea of where to buy tea on the Internet. Now exacerbated by
the recent phenomenom of each site with it's own groupies. You know
my guy knows more about puerh than your guy or your yixing pot is mass
produced and my handcrafted by an artisan. How come this particular
businessman thinks you're so stupid? He hasn't said anything new on
the subject from yixing seasoning to cooking piles. It is nothing
more than la-de-da and pssst buy something from me while having to
listen to him and a buyer clarify an order over the ng. So for us who
boil water with no newsgroup server that only leaves Google with no
guarantee of any timelag turnaround so I'll miss my tit-for-tat
repartee but it'll give me more time to enjoy my expensive pence\gram
tea. If I ever figure how to do it again I'll get a new Google
account with my new email address because died
with the 14.4 dialup. Look a picture of a naked woman in an email
popup while Googling, Yahoo*&$&^%$#*&

Jim

Mike Petro > wrote in message >. ..
> Michael has helped me by educating me, above and beyond any business
> transactions. I, for one, appreciate his posts. I feel that they are
> predominantly informational with very little spam injected. Yes he has
> a business and might be a little overt at times, but I think he brings
> a lot to the table. Being in the business gives him a certain
> credibility that most of us consumers just don't have.
>
> Michael, I would refrain from directly criticizing other specific
> vendors though, like the Lipton thing. It comes across as being less
> than objective when everyone knows you have your own business.
>
> Just MHO,
>

> Mike Petro

Dave Croft

--
Dave Croft
Warrington
"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message om...
> Hi all,
>
> The good news I got dsl. The bad news no newsgroup server. The good
> news I can surf. The bad news I have too redouble my efforts to put
> any WWW site mentioned in this group in my browser's prohibited
> websites. Nothing worse than surfing then to stumble across someone's
> clueless idea of where to buy tea on the Internet. Now exacerbated by
> the recent phenomenom of each site with it's own groupies. You know
> my guy knows more about puerh than your guy or your yixing pot is mass
> produced and my handcrafted by an artisan. How come this particular
> businessman thinks you're so stupid? He hasn't said anything new on
> the subject from yixing seasoning to cooking piles. It is nothing
> more than la-de-da and pssst buy something from me while having to
> listen to him and a buyer clarify an order over the ng. So for us who
> boil water with no newsgroup server that only leaves Google with no
> guarantee of any timelag turnaround so I'll miss my tit-for-tat
> repartee but it'll give me more time to enjoy my expensive pence\gram
> tea. If I ever figure how to do it again I'll get a new Google
> account with my new email address because died
> with the 14.4 dialup. Look a picture of a naked woman in an email
> popup while Googling, Yahoo*&$&^%$#*&
>
> Jim
>
> Mike Petro > wrote in message >. ..
> > Michael has helped me by educating me, above and beyond any business
> > transactions. I, for one, appreciate his posts. I feel that they are
> > predominantly informational with very little spam injected. Yes he has
> > a business and might be a little overt at times, but I think he brings
> > a lot to the table. Being in the business gives him a certain
> > credibility that most of us consumers just don't have.
> >
> > Michael, I would refrain from directly criticizing other specific
> > vendors though, like the Lipton thing. It comes across as being less
> > than objective when everyone knows you have your own business.
> >
> > Just MHO,
> >

> > Mike Petro

Dave Croft

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message om...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The good news I got dsl. The bad news no newsgroup server. The good
> > news I can surf. Snip

Hi, If you want a good reliable server which is free & has no comercial adverts or ties
Go to http://news.individual.net/
This is the Berlin University server & many people in England use it because of its reliability.
I have used it for about 7 years with no problems.
You have to subscribe (Free) but they don't give out your EMail to anyone.
(You can't access Porn sites but R.F.D.T. is covered)
I hope this helps.
--
Dave Croft
Warrington
England
http://www.oldengine.org/members/croft/homepage/
http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv

Mike Petro

Thank you Jim,

Hmmm...I never really thought of myself as a groupie.

I stand by my opinion that WS and Michael have shared more about puerh
than I have found anywhere else on the Internet. What is wrong with
that? I dont have any local sources to learn these things. If you have
another source I would be grateful if you would share it.

BTW what ever happened to your webpage about ethnic languages and
tea terms?

On 21 Jan 2004 09:29:44 -0800, (Space Cowboy)
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>The good news I got dsl. The bad news no newsgroup server. The good
>news I can surf. The bad news I have too redouble my efforts to put
>any WWW site mentioned in this group in my browser's prohibited
>websites. Nothing worse than surfing then to stumble across someone's
>clueless idea of where to buy tea on the Internet. Now exacerbated by
>the recent phenomenom of each site with it's own groupies. You know
>my guy knows more about puerh than your guy or your yixing pot is mass
>produced and my handcrafted by an artisan. How come this particular
>businessman thinks you're so stupid? He hasn't said anything new on
>the subject from yixing seasoning to cooking piles. It is nothing
>more than la-de-da and pssst buy something from me while having to
>listen to him and a buyer clarify an order over the ng. So for us who
>boil water with no newsgroup server that only leaves Google with no
>guarantee of any timelag turnaround so I'll miss my tit-for-tat
>repartee but it'll give me more time to enjoy my expensive pence\gram
>tea. If I ever figure how to do it again I'll get a new Google
>account with my new email address because
died
>with the 14.4 dialup. Look a picture of a naked woman in an email
>popup while Googling, Yahoo*&$&^%$#*&
>
>Jim
>
>Mike Petro > wrote in message >. ..
>> Michael has helped me by educating me, above and beyond any business
>> transactions. I, for one, appreciate his posts. I feel that they are
>> predominantly informational with very little spam injected. Yes he has
>> a business and might be a little overt at times, but I think he brings
>> a lot to the table. Being in the business gives him a certain
>> credibility that most of us consumers just don't have.
>>
>> Michael, I would refrain from directly criticizing other specific
>> vendors though, like the Lipton thing. It comes across as being less
>> than objective when everyone knows you have your own business.
>>
>> Just MHO,
>>

>> Mike Petro

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Michael Ryan

(Space Cowboy) wrote in message . com>...
> Hi all,
>
> The good news I got dsl. The bad news no newsgroup server. The good
> news I can surf. The bad news I have too redouble my efforts to put
> any WWW site mentioned in this group in my browser's prohibited
> websites. Nothing worse than surfing then to stumble across someone's
> clueless idea of where to buy tea on the Internet. Now exacerbated by
> the recent phenomenom of each site with it's own groupies. You know
> my guy knows more about puerh than your guy or your yixing pot is mass
> produced and my handcrafted by an artisan. How come this particular
> businessman thinks you're so stupid? He hasn't said anything new on
> the subject from yixing seasoning to cooking piles. It is nothing
> more than la-de-da and pssst buy something from me while having to
> listen to him and a buyer clarify an order over the ng. So for us who
> boil water with no newsgroup server that only leaves Google with no
> guarantee of any timelag turnaround so I'll miss my tit-for-tat
> repartee but it'll give me more time to enjoy my expensive pence\gram
> tea. If I ever figure how to do it again I'll get a new Google
> account with my new email address because
died
> with the 14.4 dialup. Look a picture of a naked woman in an email
> popup while Googling, Yahoo*&$&^%$#*&
>
> Jim
>
> Mike Petro > wrote in message >. ..
> > Michael has helped me by educating me, above and beyond any business
> > transactions. I, for one, appreciate his posts. I feel that they are
> > predominantly informational with very little spam injected. Yes he has
> > a business and might be a little overt at times, but I think he brings
> > a lot to the table. Being in the business gives him a certain
> > credibility that most of us consumers just don't have.
> >
> > Michael, I would refrain from directly criticizing other specific
> > vendors though, like the Lipton thing. It comes across as being less
> > than objective when everyone knows you have your own business.
> >
> > Just MHO,
> >

> > Mike Petro

Just a little response to passionate 1480 comments snipped and quoted
below.

>"Nothing worse than surfing then to stumble across someone's clueless

idea of where to buy tea on the Internet."<

I thought the purpose of News Groups was to share information. In
addition, I would think letting others know where to get some product
that is not easy to find. Alternatively, referring someone to a source
you have had good luck with this product this is sharing information
and what News Groups are for or so I thought.

>"How come this particular businessman thinks you're so stupid?"<

When I posted information about tea and teapots, I said I never
claimed to know everything. I posted this information based off my
first hand experiences. If I made you or anyone else, feel stupid I
am sorry about that, it was not my intention, maybe I should be more
careful when sharing my experiences.

>"He hasn't said anything new on the subject from yixing seasoning to

cooking piles."<

I only thought that maybe new users would want to see a fresh topic
that was not from 1995 about the processing of tea and other things
asked about often in the New Group, instead of having to dig to the
bottom to find the answer.

>"It is nothing more than la-de-da and pssst buy something from me

while having to listen to >him and a buyer clarify an order over the
ng."<

It is ok if you do not buy anything from me I can accept that. I have
plenty of very happy repeat customers. My intention was not to come
here and sell my products it was to share information. In Hindsight
posting that I sell teapots in this forum was for sure a mistake. I
was only trying to be helpful to the group, but as the old sayings
goes "You can please some of the people some of the time but you can
not please all of the people all of the time."

I will no longer post anything that refers to my business I will
continue to ignore the abundant links to other companies left by users
wanting to help others out by referring them to a source. In
addition, as soon as I figure out how to change my e-mail address I
will change it to something less revealing so that the more sensitive
people are not offended or threatened by it. I will continue to post
pertinent information when I find the time, or answer any questions
asked of me to my best of my ability. I will no longer respond to
these types of negative messages it is not worth the time and it is
like trying to remove a ink dot from a paper the harder you try to
remove it the more messy it gets.

Thanks to all of you who backed me up, it is greatly appreciated. I
am sorry if you think that I should have not responded to this
however, I felt that I had to put in one last word regardless of the
outcome.

me
Space Cowboy

Mike Petro > wrote in message >. ..
> Thank you Jim,
>
> Hmmm...I never really thought of myself as a groupie.

That's the polite term. See my other postings on johns and pimps
disguised as buyers and sellers. You aren't the first or last to say
'Hey everybody look what I bought and from you know who'. If you want
approval join a ten step program.

> I stand by my opinion that WS and Michael have shared more about puerh
> than I have found anywhere else on the Internet. What is wrong with
> that? I dont have any local sources to learn these things. If you have
> another source I would be grateful if you would share it.

You came to the right place. What has been said recently on the
subject has been said before in the ng. The only twist was the use of
the word 'cooking' but in reality is connotative of others terms for
the process. If you want real puerh find a Chinese apothacary.

> BTW what ever happened to your webpage about ethnic languages and
> tea terms?

I hope you're not holding your breath but since you asked:

Last year I bought a cheap USB digital camera for $35. It worked
great for about a month but was sensitive to light and bright colors.
Prior to the camera I used another USB device but since it was the
first I damaged one of the two ports when I tried to insert it
backwards. Yep you can do that with USB. After getting the camera to
work on the one good port I decided to swap out the two external ports
for two good ones. I opened up the skins and pulled the eight bin
connector on the MB with the two attached ports. I took it the
computer shop and nobody had seen such a combined connector. I ended
up with two 4 pin connectors each with its own port. No matter how
many permutations of motherboard connections I couldn't get any USB
port to work. I reinserted the eight pin connector and couldn't get
it to work again. I should know to ALWAYS mark wiring connections. I
do that for cars even if I pull the battery cables. I'm about ready
to toss my present MB and invest in USB 2.0. Now I got high speed
internet access and when I listen to Internet radio stations all I get
is a staccato because of a bad audio chip plus the buss locks up and I
continually have to reboot. Don't even get me started why my telecom
provider pairs up with MSN except for a modest discount and doesn't
provide NNTP or POP3. Also no personal webpage space. I spew out the
ethnic terms when the posts ask for it if it matches my experiences in
the stores.

Jim
Space Cowboy

Hi Dave,

Thanks mucho gusto. I always thought free NNTP servers on the
Internet were a myth. I'll give it a whirl. I suspect somewhere
there is a catch like you don't live on this side of the Atlantic or
get the hell out of Iraq. Anyway my new ISP is suppose to have a new
filter to identify dirty pictures to pigeon hole in special folders
for adults only. However easy is that? No guessing.

Jim

Used Yixing teapots Jazzy[_2_] Tea 15 17-08-2007 01:50 PM
yixing teapots pgwk Tea 0 20-04-2007 05:07 AM
Best way to clean old Yixing teapots? KM Tea 5 07-01-2007 10:27 AM
2 questions re Yixing teapots Dee Randall Asian Cooking 1 11-10-2006 04:58 PM
Curing Yixing teapots Yuriy Pragin Tea 17 30-12-2003 05:50 PM