Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Malawi Teas

About six months ago Nigel M., an occasional and knowledgeable participant
in this group, sent me a few samples of Malawi teas. He apparently
specializes in bringing (or restoring) tea cultivation to areas who
could use the industry, so I am sympathetic. This nevertheless hasn't
stopped me from panning a previous tea from a different part of the world.

I am happy to say that he is producing some amazing white teas. I am
terrible at describing tastes, but can only say that despite the
astonishing strength of some of their floral notes there is no hint of
cloying. They retain the lightness expected of good white teas. In
particular:

1. Mulanje Needles - my favorite white tea ever (though I am a fickle
lover). Strong initial fruit note giving way to a delicate clean scent.
Described by the seller as "Hand gathered single buds from Mulanje
bushes; silvery with a chocolate brown stripe. The clear bright liquor
is pale apricot, sweet and with hint of ripe red apple."
(9.05 English pounds for a 50g tin).

2. Zomba Peony - unusual. My first reaction was that I didn't know what
herb it was, but I liked it as much as tea. The second sip made me
realize that it was tea, but so minimally processed as to fool me.
For one thing, it's the fluffiest tea leaf I have ever seen. The seller
states: "Made from hand gathered fine two leaf and a bud shoots plucked
from vigorous Salima bushes. The dry leaf has mixed shades of milk
and dark chocolate brown with silver bud and stems. The liquor is pale
apricot, clear and bright, sweet and floral, repeated strongly on the
infusion." (7.75 English pounds for a 50g tin).

There are other offerings on the web site,

http://www.nbtea.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html ,

including the wonderfully named "Antlers d'amour".

Disclaimers: I don't know if this site is formally associated with Nigel
or if it just sells his teas; I have no association with any of the
principals except that I accepted small samples.

Best,

Rick.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thanks Richard. An interesting note.

It amazes me how these African tea bushes come about.

Will be very interesting if Nigel can point to the source on where the
tea plants come from, how he cultivates them and processes them,
together with the chemical profile.

Julian
http;//www.amazing-green-tea.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Well high prase indeed!

We are Satemwa have worked with Nigel in producing the whites that have been mentioned, plus a range of others too.

The original tea seed planted in Malawi came by way of the Kew and Edinburgh botanical gardens in the 1880's! Malawi was one of the first African countries to grow tea, and indeed is the oldest surviving area (Areas in KwazuluNatal in South Africa were the first, but the original plantations no longer exist) This led to Malawi having a wide range of germplasm, and a lot of china 'type' teas. (Later commers to the industry, such as kenya got all their germplasm from indian 'types'). Since the 1930's many varities have been bred (traditionally NOT GM!!)that are unique to Malawi, and have been grown leading to distinct characteristics that set some of these teas apart. Indeed, of our Limbe variety, we have less than 500 bushes - to us at Satemwa, this makes the best peony ever!!

If you are interested check it out www.satemwa.com

Alexander
http;//www.satemwa.com

--
Questo articolo e` stato inviato dal sito web http://www.nonsolonews.net
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 26, 7:16 am, juliantai > wrote:

> Will be very interesting if Nigel can point to the source on where the
> tea plants come from, how he cultivates them and processes them,
> together with the chemical profile.

A note for r.f.d.t readers within traveling distance of Glasgow,
Scotland and wishing to have it "from the horse's mouth". Alexander
and his father Chip Cathcart Kay of Satemwa Tea Estates Ltd and myself
and daughter Chrissie of Nothing But Tea Ltd will be showing these
stunning Malawi White Teas (and the blacks and greens) at a Scottish -
Malawi Trade Show on 1st november 2007, see link:
http://www.tradeconnections.org/exhi...inst=2&id=1475

Nigel at Teacraft

Malawi not good for iced tea Oregonian Haruspex Tea 0 23-10-2014 01:16 AM
Malawi iced tea toci Tea 0 07-07-2010 07:49 PM
Taming the wild Malawi toci Tea 17 07-11-2008 11:08 AM
Second attempt on Malawi toci Tea 2 26-09-2008 11:30 AM
Malawi and Java teas toci Tea 1 20-09-2008 02:17 PM