Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Richard Chappell Richard Chappell is offline

Default Malawi Teas

About six months ago Nigel M., an occasional and knowledgeable participant
in this group, sent me a few samples of Malawi teas. He apparently
specializes in bringing (or restoring) tea cultivation to areas who
could use the industry, so I am sympathetic. This nevertheless hasn't
stopped me from panning a previous tea from a different part of the world.

I am happy to say that he is producing some amazing white teas. I am
terrible at describing tastes, but can only say that despite the
astonishing strength of some of their floral notes there is no hint of
cloying. They retain the lightness expected of good white teas. In
particular:

1. Mulanje Needles - my favorite white tea ever (though I am a fickle
lover). Strong initial fruit note giving way to a delicate clean scent.
Described by the seller as "Hand gathered single buds from Mulanje
bushes; silvery with a chocolate brown stripe. The clear bright liquor
is pale apricot, sweet and with hint of ripe red apple."
(9.05 English pounds for a 50g tin).

2. Zomba Peony - unusual. My first reaction was that I didn't know what
herb it was, but I liked it as much as tea. The second sip made me
realize that it was tea, but so minimally processed as to fool me.
For one thing, it's the fluffiest tea leaf I have ever seen. The seller
states: "Made from hand gathered fine two leaf and a bud shoots plucked
from vigorous Salima bushes. The dry leaf has mixed shades of milk
and dark chocolate brown with silver bud and stems. The liquor is pale
apricot, clear and bright, sweet and floral, repeated strongly on the
infusion." (7.75 English pounds for a 50g tin).

There are other offerings on the web site,

http://www.nbtea.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html ,

including the wonderfully named "Antlers d'amour".

Disclaimers: I don't know if this site is formally associated with Nigel
or if it just sells his teas; I have no association with any of the
principals except that I accepted small samples.

Best,

Rick.