Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Imperial Tea Court's new greens

We stopped into the Berkeley shop today to taste Mr. Fong's Spring
2007 greens that he's just brought back from China. We tried both
Imperial Green and Downy Cloud Tea. These are both proprietary names
and I hestitate to suggest what they are - I think Downy Cloud may
have been E Mei E Rui. This tea was extrordinarily delicate and soft
with a lingering sweetness and a somewhat nutty finish. The leaves
were very tiny, each with a down-covered bud. Needless to say, quite a
delicious tea.
The Imperial Green, this Spring, unlike last year's was much more
vegetal, with a fragrance and initial flavour similar to freshly
steamed asparagus and moving into a candy-like sweetness and quite an
astringent finish.
Both teas - totally refreshing and thirst-quenching in the early
summer heat.
Luckily, we chose some matcha and sugar-toasted walnuts to munch on
with our teas. A terrific combo!
If your in the Bay area, stop by, try the new greens - quite a nice
experience.
Shen