Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Preferred Pu-erh and Superior Pu-erh Imperial Tea Court?

A friend recently gave me a couple of oz of each of these from ITC. I
really enjoyed the Preferred Pu-erh in the "middle infusions" - robust,
slightly smokey, but not "burnt", and toasty. The Superior was also
very enjoyable. However, as ever, I have no real idea what these
pu-erhs are and I am curious. Does anyone know?
(I realize we're been all through this Mr. Fong thing and I don't
really want to get into that again).... I just really liked these
relatively inexpensive teas and wondered what they
were..................??
Thanks in advance.
Shen (drinking a wonderful Da Hong Pao from Yunnan Sourcing)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dear Shen,
Da Hong Pao is definitely the unique tea of wuyi mountain in fujian
province, therefore any one from other province is fake.
"Shen дµÀ£º
"
> A friend recently gave me a couple of oz of each of these from ITC. I
> really enjoyed the Preferred Pu-erh in the "middle infusions" - robust,
> slightly smokey, but not "burnt", and toasty. The Superior was also
> very enjoyable. However, as ever, I have no real idea what these
> pu-erhs are and I am curious. Does anyone know?
> (I realize we're been all through this Mr. Fong thing and I don't
> really want to get into that again).... I just really liked these
> relatively inexpensive teas and wondered what they
> were..................??
> Thanks in advance.
> Shen (drinking a wonderful Da Hong Pao from Yunnan Sourcing)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Indra,
I am sure that Scott (Yunnan Sourcing) sent me an authentic tea. He is
very honorable and reliable. Just because the name of his firm is
Yunnan Sourcing, it is not limited to one region.
All of the teas I have received from him so far have been just as
described and very fairly priced. I truly doubt he sent me a "fake"
tea.
Truthfully, I am really just interested in the name of these pu-ehrs
right now.
Shen
Indra wrote:
> Dear Shen,
> Da Hong Pao is definitely the unique tea of wuyi mountain in fujian
> province, therefore any one from other province is fake.
> "Shen дµÀ£º
> "
> > A friend recently gave me a couple of oz of each of these from ITC. I
> > really enjoyed the Preferred Pu-erh in the "middle infusions" - robust,
> > slightly smokey, but not "burnt", and toasty. The Superior was also
> > very enjoyable. However, as ever, I have no real idea what these
> > pu-erhs are and I am curious. Does anyone know?
> > (I realize we're been all through this Mr. Fong thing and I don't
> > really want to get into that again).... I just really liked these
> > relatively inexpensive teas and wondered what they
> > were..................??
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Shen (drinking a wonderful Da Hong Pao from Yunnan Sourcing)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

well, what i mean is quite simplel, it's impossible that da hong pao be
produced in yunnan province. i never want to insult you by implying
that your friend give you a fake one.

if you send me several pics of your tea and its cover,box as well as
the "tea soup". maybe i can find a friend to help you.

"Shen дµÀ£º
"
> Indra,
> I am sure that Scott (Yunnan Sourcing) sent me an authentic tea. He is
> very honorable and reliable. Just because the name of his firm is
> Yunnan Sourcing, it is not limited to one region.
> All of the teas I have received from him so far have been just as
> described and very fairly priced. I truly doubt he sent me a "fake"
> tea.
> Truthfully, I am really just interested in the name of these pu-ehrs
> right now.
> Shen
> Indra wrote:
> > Dear Shen,
> > Da Hong Pao is definitely the unique tea of wuyi mountain in fujian
> > province, therefore any one from other province is fake.
> > "Shen дµÀ£º
> > "
> > > A friend recently gave me a couple of oz of each of these from ITC. I
> > > really enjoyed the Preferred Pu-erh in the "middle infusions" - robust,
> > > slightly smokey, but not "burnt", and toasty. The Superior was also
> > > very enjoyable. However, as ever, I have no real idea what these
> > > pu-erhs are and I am curious. Does anyone know?
> > > (I realize we're been all through this Mr. Fong thing and I don't
> > > really want to get into that again).... I just really liked these
> > > relatively inexpensive teas and wondered what they
> > > were..................??
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > > Shen (drinking a wonderful Da Hong Pao from Yunnan Sourcing)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Indra wrote:
> well, what i mean is quite simplel, it's impossible that da hong pao be
> produced in yunnan province. i never want to insult you by implying
> that your friend give you a fake one.
>
> if you send me several pics of your tea and its cover,box as well as
> the "tea soup". maybe i can find a friend to help you.

Indra, I think Scott from Yunnan Sourcing never claimed his Da Hong Pao
is from Yunnan, instead, he just bought it from Yunnan and then resells
it on the internet.

Whether it is a real DHP or not is another matter entirely, and even if
you look at the leaves it's not easily distinguishable, but I don't
think anybody is claiming that the DHP is from Yunnan.

And of course, this wasn't the original topic of the OP at all.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I'm sure they are cooked puerhs, possibly Roy's recipe, aged different
years. I believe preferred is 5 and Superior is 12. You can call ITC
and find out.

Shen wrote:
> A friend recently gave me a couple of oz of each of these from ITC. I
> really enjoyed the Preferred Pu-erh in the "middle infusions" - robust,
> slightly smokey, but not "burnt", and toasty. The Superior was also
> very enjoyable. However, as ever, I have no real idea what these
> pu-erhs are and I am curious. Does anyone know?
> (I realize we're been all through this Mr. Fong thing and I don't
> really want to get into that again).... I just really liked these
> relatively inexpensive teas and wondered what they
> were..................??
> Thanks in advance.
> Shen (drinking a wonderful Da Hong Pao from Yunnan Sourcing)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thats the take I got too - bought/sold from a vendor in Yunnum, not 'grown'
in Yunnan.

Then I'm only a 50yr old with bi-focals - so what would I know ! ;-))

Cheers
Mal
Oz

"MarshalN" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Indra wrote:
>> well, what i mean is quite simplel, it's impossible that da hong pao be
>> produced in yunnan province. i never want to insult you by implying
>> that your friend give you a fake one.
>>
>> if you send me several pics of your tea and its cover,box as well as
>> the "tea soup". maybe i can find a friend to help you.
>>

> Indra, I think Scott from Yunnan Sourcing never claimed his Da Hong Pao
> is from Yunnan, instead, he just bought it from Yunnan and then resells
> it on the internet.
>
> Whether it is a real DHP or not is another matter entirely, and even if
> you look at the leaves it's not easily distinguishable, but I don't
> think anybody is claiming that the DHP is from Yunnan.
>
> And of course, this wasn't the original topic of the OP at all.
>
> MarshalN
> http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dear Michael,
I think you are right that it's beyond of shen's original intention to
discuss whether it's authentic or not. and fake is a
easy-to-be-misunderstood word.
yes, they are many teas, especially green teas, are replanted outside
of the original place and can still keep quite good quality. for
example, many Longjing(Dragon well) are from XInchang and is not bad.
But in the case of DHP, as far as I know, there is no successful
precedent.
thank you for your kindly remind, as a new comer I should read more
posts before I reply or launch a new one.

"Michael Plant дµÀ£º
"
> I honestly think that it was not Shen's original intention to
> discuss fake vs. real, but only to learn more about the teas
> she acquired. On the fake note, Da Hong Pao from places
> outside WuYi is *not* fake, provided that we are told where
> it came from. Perhaps "Da Hong Pao-like" is more like it.
> So many of the teas we love are the result of moving one
> or another variety of tea to a new place, or treating it in a
> completely different matter in its manufacture. Fake is a
> rough word, and IMHO ought to be reserved for those teas
> that fly under false colors; that is, teas whose origins are
> purposely clouded by the manufacturer and/or the vendor.
> Just thoughts.
> Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dear Michael,
I think you are right that it's beyond of shen's original intention to
discuss whether it's authentic or not. and fake is a
easy-to-be-misunderstood word.
yes, they are many teas, especially green teas, are replanted outside
of the original place and can still keep quite good quality. for
example, many Longjing(Dragon well) are from XInchang and is not bad.
But in the case of DHP, as far as I know, there is no successful
precedent.
thank you for your kindly remind, as a new comer I should read more
posts before I reply or launch a new one.

"Michael Plant дµÀ£º
"
> I honestly think that it was not Shen's original intention to
> discuss fake vs. real, but only to learn more about the teas
> she acquired. On the fake note, Da Hong Pao from places
> outside WuYi is *not* fake, provided that we are told where
> it came from. Perhaps "Da Hong Pao-like" is more like it.
> So many of the teas we love are the result of moving one
> or another variety of tea to a new place, or treating it in a
> completely different matter in its manufacture. Fake is a
> rough word, and IMHO ought to be reserved for those teas
> that fly under false colors; that is, teas whose origins are
> purposely clouded by the manufacturer and/or the vendor.
> Just thoughts.
> Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thank you, Michael and others. Yes, all I wanted to know: ITC pu-erhs.
Actually, I have not a single doubt that my tea is Da Hong Pao. Scott
will undoubtedly let a customer know if it is any other. I never said
his was from Yunnan. Big misunderstanding.
I feel very forytunate that members of this list have been so generous
in sharing information about teas with me. In the last few months, I
have learned so much and everyone has been so helpful in guiding me.
In the six months or so that I have been dealing with Yunnan Sourcing,
I can honestly say that Scott, too, has been generous in sharing
knowlege and fair all around.
Shen
Michael Plant wrote:
> 1/21/07
>

> > well, what i mean is quite simple, it's impossible that da hong pao be
> > produced in yunnan province. i never want to insult you by implying
> > that your friend give you a fake one.
> >
> > if you send me several pics of your tea and its cover,box as well as
> > the "tea soup". maybe i can find a friend to help you.

> I honestly think that it was not Shen's original intention to
> discuss fake vs. real, but only to learn more about the teas
> she acquired. On the fake note, Da Hong Pao from places
> outside WuYi is *not* fake, provided that we are told where
> it came from. Perhaps "Da Hong Pao-like" is more like it.
> So many of the teas we love are the result of moving one
> or another variety of tea to a new place, or treating it in a
> completely different matter in its manufacture. Fake is a
> rough word, and IMHO ought to be reserved for those teas
> that fly under false colors; that is, teas whose origins are
> purposely clouded by the manufacturer and/or the vendor.
> Just thoughts.
> Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Yes. I agree. Both seemed well aged and cooked. I was just wondering
about their heritage. I do know that it is very difficult to get exact
information from Mr. Fong and within a previous discussion on this
board I have learned to leave that alone.
My curiousity was more specific, I suppose: what factory, trees etc.
I am also learning that the enjoyment I get from these teas may well be
enough (LOL!).
Thank you.
Shen
Danica wrote:
> I'm sure they are cooked puerhs, possibly Roy's recipe, aged different
> years. I believe preferred is 5 and Superior is 12. You can call ITC
> and find out.
>

> Shen wrote:
> > A friend recently gave me a couple of oz of each of these from ITC. I
> > really enjoyed the Preferred Pu-erh in the "middle infusions" - robust,
> > slightly smokey, but not "burnt", and toasty. The Superior was also
> > very enjoyable. However, as ever, I have no real idea what these
> > pu-erhs are and I am curious. Does anyone know?
> > (I realize we're been all through this Mr. Fong thing and I don't
> > really want to get into that again).... I just really liked these
> > relatively inexpensive teas and wondered what they
> > were..................??
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Shen (drinking a wonderful Da Hong Pao from Yunnan Sourcing)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

He doesn't ever say, not quite sure why. I know he inherited some from
a big factory. But I believe they are of good quality because of
taste, clarity, and also his very passionate stance about the teas. He
is not always so passionate, even about teas he carries. I know he
buys them in Yunnan, he is an expert and he also does a puerh tea tour
of Yunnan province every few years where he matches the food to the
teas.

Shen wrote:
> Yes. I agree. Both seemed well aged and cooked. I was just wondering
> about their heritage. I do know that it is very difficult to get exact
> information from Mr. Fong

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Michael - it seems that you have "hit the nail on the head" - this is
the description of my Da Hong Pao per Scott, Yunnan Sourcing. Obviously
it was good enough for me. (From Ebay)
"Big Red Robe, a myth, a legend!

Just to let everybody know, there is only 400 grams (not kilograms)
produced each year from the last remaining Da Hong Pao tea bush in the
world. Don't believe any claims that you hear. The scant harvest of the
real thing is reserved for bigwigs here in China not foreigners! Even
if you could get it the price would be $5000 or more per 10 grams.

So anyways, this Da Hong Pao falls into the category of an excellent
fermented Red Oolong that was created by cloning Original Da Hong Pao.
The flavor is strong but smooth. Full of body and flavor. 40%
oxidization."

Nonetheless, delicious.
Shen

Michael Plant wrote:
> 1/21/07
>

> > well, what i mean is quite simple, it's impossible that da hong pao be
> > produced in yunnan province. i never want to insult you by implying
> > that your friend give you a fake one.
> >
> > if you send me several pics of your tea and its cover,box as well as
> > the "tea soup". maybe i can find a friend to help you.

> I honestly think that it was not Shen's original intention to
> discuss fake vs. real, but only to learn more about the teas
> she acquired. On the fake note, Da Hong Pao from places
> outside WuYi is *not* fake, provided that we are told where
> it came from. Perhaps "Da Hong Pao-like" is more like it.
> So many of the teas we love are the result of moving one
> or another variety of tea to a new place, or treating it in a
> completely different matter in its manufacture. Fake is a
> rough word, and IMHO ought to be reserved for those teas
> that fly under false colors; that is, teas whose origins are
> purposely clouded by the manufacturer and/or the vendor.
> Just thoughts.
> Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

As a good hunter-gatherer Roy does not want to disclose his hunting grounds.
Also he carefully monitors his teas during aging and makes adjustments, so
the final result is as much a function of the quality of the original tea as
his efforts to age it properly. I believe that this is his strategy and I
think its a good one. One can sell a brand name with reputation or one can
create a trade house reputation. He is doing the latter - you buy teas from
ITC and you never sorry (in my experience). Would I want to know more?
Certainly. And very often Roy would tell you things when you meet him
face-to-face. He is not that open over the net and I certainly understand
why.

Sasha.

ps.com...