Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Another cheap teapress

The 1L Sierra Tea Press I see elsewhere in town for $25 is on the Ross
knick-knack closeout shelf for $8. I say 1L because it says 8cups.
The people in NJ still don't know about metrics. It also says Coffee
on the box which says how much they know about Tea. At least it might
mean made elsewhere besides Asia. It has a metal sleeve and cap which
makes it more elegant than the plastic ones from Bodum. It has hooked
metal feet which allows see through the bottom of the pot. A nice
touch which the Bodum lacked. The plunger does bind up in the glass
cylinder enough to make it irritating which I guess is the reason for
the discount. That is my gain because I saw off the plunger and cap
it with a wall anchor bonnet to keep the shortened filter near the
spout from falling back into the pot. I bought six. No waiting for
the gongfu master to pour me another shot. You each get a liter of
your choice.

Jim

PS I've been reading about set meal prices in China where eight
customers sit around a table at a given price and eat potpourri from
the kitchen. An American version of buffet at the table instead. I'm
going to suggest to my local tea shoppe they do something like this
for tea in their new bigger cafe.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

mmmm.. all you can drink tea buffet
thats got to be expensive to cover... except if you separate cheap
teas and expensive teas

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The 1L Sierra Tea Press I see elsewhere in town for $25 is on the Ross
> knick-knack closeout shelf for $8. I say 1L because it says 8cups.
> The people in NJ still don't know about metrics. It also says Coffee
> on the box which says how much they know about Tea. At least it might
> mean made elsewhere besides Asia. It has a metal sleeve and cap which
> makes it more elegant than the plastic ones from Bodum. It has hooked
> metal feet which allows see through the bottom of the pot. A nice
> touch which the Bodum lacked....

My first press isn't as inexpensive as yours.

I bought an insulated Bodum travel press with grip in January at Sur La
Table in the Farmer's Market in LA - or maybe the store's in The Grove next
to it. Anyway, the grip is really nice and the mouth-feel of the lip section
is very comfortable. I'm well pleased with all aspects of it. A tiny bit of
rooibos sneaks by, but it's not bad at all, not nearly as bad as many
others. Because I like an impeccably clean brew, I took the opportunity to
put my despised Republic of Tea People's Brew Basket to good use by cutting
off the rim and sliding the mesh of the basket over the plate of the press
to keep rooibos contained. Now, it's wonderful, absolutely perfect, and the
ROT basket is no longer the waste of money that it's been for ten years.

All I have to do now is get rid of the Green Bay Packers insulated mug that
I was using as a travel mug. It was a gift from a Cheesehead or whatever
they're called, it's in no way leak resistant much less leakproof as
evidenced by a bunch of soaked papers, the handle and lip ridge are
uncomfortable, and I'm not into the GBP at all. I never use it otherwise and
the only reason I brought it along on this trip is because the ROT basket
fits into it, but the ROT basket is so worthless, I ended up using a
Teeli/Finum basket until I got the Bodum press.

Here's what I bought. It's MUCH better about not leaking than the GBP mug if
the hole cover is snapped closed:

http://tinyurl.com/237lmt or

http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.as...13LFVNH9UJ9DC7.

I was thinking to get a non-press travel tumbler cap and seeing how well the
cut ROT basket stays in to use for my green and white teas - like the
thermal traveler sold by Yellow Mountain Imports which is
leakproof, but gets too hot for my hands
(http://www.ymimports.com/Items/fg-tt110-a?). I emailed Bodum about it,
the caps are interchangeable, but aren't sold separately. Since I haven't
found the tumblers in any of the stores I visited in LA, I'll have to wait
until I get home and see if the store there still carries them or order
online.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I would never pay full price for one. I will say if you relocate the
fine mesh filter near the mouth of the press as I do it can create
sloppy pours if you're in a hurry. I like to call it aerating. I
like a certain element of make-do in tea. When my favorite stove
kettle gave out I used an open pan to boil water till I bought my
electric blow torch Kamjove which can make hollier than thou water
real fast.

Jim

On Apr 10, 1:53 pm, "Bluesea" > wrote:
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message

....I delete my teapress yada...

> My first press isn't as inexpensive as yours.
>
> I bought an insulated Bodum travel press with grip in January at Sur La
> Table in the Farmer's Market in LA - or maybe the store's in The Grove next
> to it. Anyway, the grip is really nice and the mouth-feel of the lip section
> is very comfortable. I'm well pleased with all aspects of it. A tiny bit of
> rooibos sneaks by, but it's not bad at all, not nearly as bad as many
> others. Because I like an impeccably clean brew, I took the opportunity to
> put my despised Republic of Tea People's Brew Basket to good use by cutting
> off the rim and sliding the mesh of the basket over the plate of the press
> to keep rooibos contained. Now, it's wonderful, absolutely perfect, and the
> ROT basket is no longer the waste of money that it's been for ten years.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Weel, when you're traveling with a mug that you abhor and happen to run
across a Bodum traveler with a comfortable grip and go off and can't get it
out of your mind and go back three times to look at it again, not being able
to get it out of your mind between times, maybe, just maybe, you would.

Like I said, it's wonderful. I'm definitely glad I bought it.

You try more things than I do - I never thought to pull the filter back up
after pressing it down.

--
~~Bluesea~~

oups.com...