Dale Williams

Default TN: Chassagne Rouge, cheap Barbaresco, cheap Bordeaux

Tuesday Betsy made duck braised in pinot noir, with green olives added to the
sauce.. The olives made me hesitate, but Burg seemed the way to go. We had a
375 of the 1999 Jean-Noel Gagnard "Morgeot" Chassagne-Montrachet Rouge 1er Cru
.. Nose of flowers, cherries, and spice gives way to a palate of rich earthy
red fruit. Well-balanced acidity and very nice finish. Nice wine, the best
Chassagne rouge I've had (admittedly not a highly competitve category, kind of
like "my favorite Republican senator") . This wine never shut down, highly
drinkable from day 1. I think I'm down to 1 750 and 1 375, wish I had bought
more. A-/B+

With a new braised lamb shank recipe from Food & Wine (not favorite mag, but a
good use of airline miles I was never going to use), mashed potatoes, and leeks
w/bacon, we had the 1999 La Licenziana Barbaresco
Light-bodied for Barbaresco, more like a generic Nebbiolo, yet a little tannic.
Violets and red fruit, pleasant enough wine of no distinction. B

Betsy was sick Thursday, but still managed to come up with a nice dinner- roast
chicken, peas with leeks, and potato and leeks soup (that's more leeks in 2
days than a normal week). I opened the 2000 Tayac "Rubis" Côtes de Bourg. OK
Merlot fruit, rounded and soft. Red plum fruit, light earthy aromas. There's a
little tannic bite, you probably could store for a year or two, but I wouldn't
bother. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B
a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party
where it was only choice.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply