Dale Williams

Default TN: (cheap) wines with curry, (cheap) '98 Burg

Monday we had dinner at some friends. He was cooking some Indian recipes, we
were asked to bring wine. I tend to opt more for beer, but I'll make do. Seemed
to me the best options were bubbly or offdry (and not an expensive bottle of
either); I decided to opt for bubbly. When we arrived, however, I started by
pulling out a 2002 Cline Red Truck. Jim is a mostly red guy, so I reversed
usual order. Lighter-weight, soft, easy. A wine that could pass for a simple
decent Côtes du Rhône. Red fruit with a bit of grapiness, a little smoky note
to make a little more interesting. I wouldn't go searching, but ok for a party.
B/B-
With a couple of curries, the NV Zardetto Prosecco Brut. Light and easy bubbly,
just a tad off-dry with white fruit and a touch of yeast. Not exciting bubbly,
but decent at standing up to the spice of the curries, and a bargain at $9. B

Tuesday Betsy was working, David and I had some turkey meatballs in gravy his
grandmother had made. The wine was the 1998 Marc Colin Chassagne-Montrachet
rouge. Fruit seemed light and reticent at first, and there were still some
noticable tannins.Some air put some weight on the black cherry fruit, and
developed a light hint of earth and mushrooms. Pretty decent. The next night I
ate at office before a meeting. When I got home that night Betsy and I shared a
glass of the red Chassagne. Tannins faded, still some freshness to the fruit. A
bit more of the mushroom/forest floor aromas. Not a great Burg, probably a B on
my easy scale, but a great deal at $10 from a closeout bin.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
James Silverton

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> Monday we had dinner at some friends. He was cooking some Indian

recipes, we
> were asked to bring wine. I tend to opt more for beer, but I'll make

do. Seemed
> to me the best options were bubbly

It's really not worth it to drink wine with strongly spiced Indian
food, IMHO and experience, although mild things like birianis might
work. Most wines that I can taste while eating a curry would
ordinarily be dreimannerweine :-) I'd stick to beer, lassi or even
ice-water. I have to admit that I recently had an enjoyable Thai meal
where we had two bottles of Sancerre but I am not converted!

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

James Silverton

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> Monday we had dinner at some friends. He was cooking some Indian

recipes, we
> were asked to bring wine. I tend to opt more for beer, but I'll make

do. Seemed
> to me the best options were bubbly

It's really not worth it to drink wine with strongly spiced Indian
food, IMHO and experience, although mild things like birianis might
work. Most wines that I can taste while eating a curry would
ordinarily be dreimannerweine :-) I'd stick to beer, lassi or even
ice-water. I have to admit that I recently had an enjoyable Thai meal
where we had two bottles of Sancerre but I am not converted!

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Kieran Dyke

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> Monday we had dinner at some friends. He was cooking some Indian recipes,

we
> were asked to bring wine. I tend to opt more for beer, but I'll make do.

Seemed
> to me the best options were bubbly or offdry (and not an expensive bottle

of
> either); I decided to opt for bubbly. When we arrived, however, I started

by
> pulling out a 2002 Cline Red Truck. Jim is a mostly red guy, so I reversed
> usual order. Lighter-weight, soft, easy. A wine that could pass for a

simple
> decent Côtes du Rhône. Red fruit with a bit of grapiness, a little smoky

note
> to make a little more interesting. I wouldn't go searching, but ok for a

party.
> B/B-
> With a couple of curries, the NV Zardetto Prosecco Brut. Light and easy

bubbly,
> just a tad off-dry with white fruit and a touch of yeast. Not exciting

bubbly,
> but decent at standing up to the spice of the curries, and a bargain at

$9. B

> Tuesday Betsy was working, David and I had some turkey meatballs in gravy

his
> grandmother had made. The wine was the 1998 Marc Colin

Chassagne-Montrachet
> rouge. Fruit seemed light and reticent at first, and there were still some
> noticable tannins.Some air put some weight on the black cherry fruit, and
> developed a light hint of earth and mushrooms. Pretty decent. The next

night I
> ate at office before a meeting. When I got home that night Betsy and I

shared a
> glass of the red Chassagne. Tannins faded, still some freshness to the

fruit. A
> bit more of the mushroom/forest floor aromas. Not a great Burg, probably a

B on
> my easy scale, but a great deal at $10 from a closeout bin.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent

wine, B a
> good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party

where
> it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity,

accuracy,
> and certainly not of consistency
> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

I've done well with Chain of Ponds Novello Nero (Grenache Sangiovese
Barbera) with Tandoori. But the really legendary Australian wine with
curries is Brown Brothers Dolcetto and Syrah, served lightly chilled.

Kieran

Kieran Dyke

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> Monday we had dinner at some friends. He was cooking some Indian recipes,

we
> were asked to bring wine. I tend to opt more for beer, but I'll make do.

Seemed
> to me the best options were bubbly or offdry (and not an expensive bottle

of
> either); I decided to opt for bubbly. When we arrived, however, I started

by
> pulling out a 2002 Cline Red Truck. Jim is a mostly red guy, so I reversed
> usual order. Lighter-weight, soft, easy. A wine that could pass for a

simple
> decent Côtes du Rhône. Red fruit with a bit of grapiness, a little smoky

note
> to make a little more interesting. I wouldn't go searching, but ok for a

party.
> B/B-
> With a couple of curries, the NV Zardetto Prosecco Brut. Light and easy

bubbly,
> just a tad off-dry with white fruit and a touch of yeast. Not exciting

bubbly,
> but decent at standing up to the spice of the curries, and a bargain at

$9. B

> Tuesday Betsy was working, David and I had some turkey meatballs in gravy

his
> grandmother had made. The wine was the 1998 Marc Colin

Chassagne-Montrachet
> rouge. Fruit seemed light and reticent at first, and there were still some
> noticable tannins.Some air put some weight on the black cherry fruit, and
> developed a light hint of earth and mushrooms. Pretty decent. The next

night I
> ate at office before a meeting. When I got home that night Betsy and I

shared a
> glass of the red Chassagne. Tannins faded, still some freshness to the

fruit. A
> bit more of the mushroom/forest floor aromas. Not a great Burg, probably a

B on
> my easy scale, but a great deal at $10 from a closeout bin.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent

wine, B a
> good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party

where
> it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity,

accuracy,
> and certainly not of consistency
> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

I've done well with Chain of Ponds Novello Nero (Grenache Sangiovese
Barbera) with Tandoori. But the really legendary Australian wine with
curries is Brown Brothers Dolcetto and Syrah, served lightly chilled.

Kieran

Dale Williams

In article >, "James Silverton"
> writes:

>"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
>> Monday we had dinner at some friends. He was cooking some Indian

>recipes, we
>> were asked to bring wine. I tend to opt more for beer, but I'll make

>do. Seemed
>> to me the best options were bubbly

>It's really not worth it to drink wine with strongly spiced Indian
>food, IMHO and experience, although mild things like birianis might
>work. Most wines that I can taste while eating a curry would
>ordinarily be dreimannerweine :-) I'd stick to beer, lassi or even
>ice-water. I have to admit that I recently had an enjoyable Thai meal
>where we had two bottles of Sancerre but I am not converted!

I actually had Indian food 2 nights in a row- Sunday we went to a restaurant
with friends, a place where owners are from Malabar coast. We had some Chera
Rajya courses, as well as some "standard Indian" dishes. I went with water, as
I didn't feel like beer. I hate lassi. I expected the dishes on Monday to be a
little milder, so beer would have been a better choice. But the great thing
about about a decent $8 bubbly is it won't clash horribly with spice, and it's
cold.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dale Williams

In article >, "James Silverton"
> writes:

>"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
>> Monday we had dinner at some friends. He was cooking some Indian

>recipes, we
>> were asked to bring wine. I tend to opt more for beer, but I'll make

>do. Seemed
>> to me the best options were bubbly

>It's really not worth it to drink wine with strongly spiced Indian
>food, IMHO and experience, although mild things like birianis might
>work. Most wines that I can taste while eating a curry would
>ordinarily be dreimannerweine :-) I'd stick to beer, lassi or even
>ice-water. I have to admit that I recently had an enjoyable Thai meal
>where we had two bottles of Sancerre but I am not converted!

I actually had Indian food 2 nights in a row- Sunday we went to a restaurant
with friends, a place where owners are from Malabar coast. We had some Chera
Rajya courses, as well as some "standard Indian" dishes. I went with water, as
I didn't feel like beer. I hate lassi. I expected the dishes on Monday to be a
little milder, so beer would have been a better choice. But the great thing
about about a decent $8 bubbly is it won't clash horribly with spice, and it's
cold.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Richard Neidich

Dale, I am not in love with Indian food but when having Curry if I don't
have beer a sparkling always worksa and I found some of the Gvertz's dry or
not so dry work as well.

But being my mouth is usually on fire...I prefer tons of water.

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> In article >, "James Silverton"
> > writes:
>
>>"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
>>> Monday we had dinner at some friends. He was cooking some Indian

>>recipes, we
>>> were asked to bring wine. I tend to opt more for beer, but I'll make

>>do. Seemed
>>> to me the best options were bubbly

>>It's really not worth it to drink wine with strongly spiced Indian
>>food, IMHO and experience, although mild things like birianis might
>>work. Most wines that I can taste while eating a curry would
>>ordinarily be dreimannerweine :-) I'd stick to beer, lassi or even
>>ice-water. I have to admit that I recently had an enjoyable Thai meal
>>where we had two bottles of Sancerre but I am not converted!
>>

> I actually had Indian food 2 nights in a row- Sunday we went to a
> restaurant
> with friends, a place where owners are from Malabar coast. We had some
> Chera
> Rajya courses, as well as some "standard Indian" dishes. I went with
> water, as
> I didn't feel like beer. I hate lassi. I expected the dishes on Monday to
> be a
> little milder, so beer would have been a better choice. But the great
> thing
> about about a decent $8 bubbly is it won't clash horribly with spice, and
> it's
> cold.
> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Richard Neidich

Dale, I am not in love with Indian food but when having Curry if I don't
have beer a sparkling always worksa and I found some of the Gvertz's dry or
not so dry work as well.

But being my mouth is usually on fire...I prefer tons of water.

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> In article >, "James Silverton"
> > writes:
>
>>"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
>>> Monday we had dinner at some friends. He was cooking some Indian

>>recipes, we
>>> were asked to bring wine. I tend to opt more for beer, but I'll make

>>do. Seemed
>>> to me the best options were bubbly

>>It's really not worth it to drink wine with strongly spiced Indian
>>food, IMHO and experience, although mild things like birianis might
>>work. Most wines that I can taste while eating a curry would
>>ordinarily be dreimannerweine :-) I'd stick to beer, lassi or even
>>ice-water. I have to admit that I recently had an enjoyable Thai meal
>>where we had two bottles of Sancerre but I am not converted!
>>

> I actually had Indian food 2 nights in a row- Sunday we went to a
> restaurant
> with friends, a place where owners are from Malabar coast. We had some
> Chera
> Rajya courses, as well as some "standard Indian" dishes. I went with
> water, as
> I didn't feel like beer. I hate lassi. I expected the dishes on Monday to
> be a
> little milder, so beer would have been a better choice. But the great
> thing
> about about a decent $8 bubbly is it won't clash horribly with spice, and
> it's
> cold.
> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Richard Neidich

Note--- Thai Curry Red Yellow or green are my favortite foods of late.

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
k.net...
> Dale, I am not in love with Indian food but when having Curry if I don't
> have beer a sparkling always worksa and I found some of the Gvertz's dry
> or not so dry work as well.
>
> But being my mouth is usually on fire...I prefer tons of water.
>

> "Dale Williams" > wrote in message
>> In article >, "James Silverton"
>> > writes:

>>>recipes, we
>>>do. Seemed
>>>
>>>It's really not worth it to drink wine with strongly spiced Indian
>>>food, IMHO and experience, although mild things like birianis might
>>>work. Most wines that I can taste while eating a curry would
>>>ordinarily be dreimannerweine :-) I'd stick to beer, lassi or even
>>>ice-water. I have to admit that I recently had an enjoyable Thai meal
>>>where we had two bottles of Sancerre but I am not converted!
>>>

>> I actually had Indian food 2 nights in a row- Sunday we went to a
>> restaurant
>> with friends, a place where owners are from Malabar coast. We had some
>> Chera
>> Rajya courses, as well as some "standard Indian" dishes. I went with
>> water, as
>> I didn't feel like beer. I hate lassi. I expected the dishes on Monday to
>> be a
>> little milder, so beer would have been a better choice. But the great
>> thing
>> about about a decent $8 bubbly is it won't clash horribly with spice, and
>> it's
>> cold.
>> Dale
>>
>> Dale Williams
>> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Richard Neidich

Note--- Thai Curry Red Yellow or green are my favortite foods of late.

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
k.net...
> Dale, I am not in love with Indian food but when having Curry if I don't
> have beer a sparkling always worksa and I found some of the Gvertz's dry
> or not so dry work as well.
>
> But being my mouth is usually on fire...I prefer tons of water.
>

> "Dale Williams" > wrote in message
>> In article >, "James Silverton"
>> > writes:

>>>recipes, we
>>>do. Seemed
>>>
>>>It's really not worth it to drink wine with strongly spiced Indian
>>>food, IMHO and experience, although mild things like birianis might
>>>work. Most wines that I can taste while eating a curry would
>>>ordinarily be dreimannerweine :-) I'd stick to beer, lassi or even
>>>ice-water. I have to admit that I recently had an enjoyable Thai meal
>>>where we had two bottles of Sancerre but I am not converted!
>>>

>> I actually had Indian food 2 nights in a row- Sunday we went to a
>> restaurant
>> with friends, a place where owners are from Malabar coast. We had some
>> Chera
>> Rajya courses, as well as some "standard Indian" dishes. I went with
>> water, as
>> I didn't feel like beer. I hate lassi. I expected the dishes on Monday to
>> be a
>> little milder, so beer would have been a better choice. But the great
>> thing
>> about about a decent $8 bubbly is it won't clash horribly with spice, and
>> it's
>> cold.
>> Dale
>>
>> Dale Williams
>> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Dale Williams,

le/on 24 Sep 2004 01:09:14 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>I actually had Indian food 2 nights in a row-

Lucky devil! The only way I ever get to eat indian food two days in a row is
when I make a batch of four or five dishes up, and we eat them until they're
finished. We're suffering from a certain amount of withdrawal at the moment,
as we can't serve Indian food to punters - err clients, and we've hardly had
time or energy to do any proper cooking for ourselves since May.

>with friends, a place where owners are from Malabar coast. We had some Chera
>Rajya courses, as well as some "standard Indian" dishes. I went with water, as
>I didn't feel like beer. I hate lassi.

Yet another thing we have in common.

> But the great thing about about a decent $8 bubbly is it won't clash horribly with spice, and it's
>cold.

Perfectly true, and $8 is not a lot to blow anyway. I would be with you and
drink beer or water - even if I bought the table some fizz.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Dale Williams,

le/on 24 Sep 2004 01:09:14 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>I actually had Indian food 2 nights in a row-

Lucky devil! The only way I ever get to eat indian food two days in a row is
when I make a batch of four or five dishes up, and we eat them until they're
finished. We're suffering from a certain amount of withdrawal at the moment,
as we can't serve Indian food to punters - err clients, and we've hardly had
time or energy to do any proper cooking for ourselves since May.

>with friends, a place where owners are from Malabar coast. We had some Chera
>Rajya courses, as well as some "standard Indian" dishes. I went with water, as
>I didn't feel like beer. I hate lassi.

Yet another thing we have in common.

> But the great thing about about a decent $8 bubbly is it won't clash horribly with spice, and it's
>cold.

Perfectly true, and $8 is not a lot to blow anyway. I would be with you and
drink beer or water - even if I bought the table some fizz.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Uranium Committee

"James Silverton" > wrote in message >...
> "Dale Williams" > wrote in message

Wines made from European grapes go best with European dishes. The
dishes of other cultures in which wine-drinking was not traditional,
are generally, though not always, unsuited for accompaniment with
wines made from European grapes. Alcoholic beverages of other sorts
are made to accompany them (beer, saki, or whatever).

> > Monday we had dinner at some friends. He was cooking some Indian

> recipes, we
> > were asked to bring wine. I tend to opt more for beer, but I'll make

> do. Seemed
> > to me the best options were bubbly

> It's really not worth it to drink wine with strongly spiced Indian
> food, IMHO and experience, although mild things like birianis might
> work. Most wines that I can taste while eating a curry would
> ordinarily be dreimannerweine :-) I'd stick to beer, lassi or even
> ice-water. I have to admit that I recently had an enjoyable Thai meal
> where we had two bottles of Sancerre but I am not converted!

Uranium Committee

"James Silverton" > wrote in message >...
> "Dale Williams" > wrote in message

Wines made from European grapes go best with European dishes. The
dishes of other cultures in which wine-drinking was not traditional,
are generally, though not always, unsuited for accompaniment with
wines made from European grapes. Alcoholic beverages of other sorts
are made to accompany them (beer, saki, or whatever).

> > Monday we had dinner at some friends. He was cooking some Indian

> recipes, we
> > were asked to bring wine. I tend to opt more for beer, but I'll make

> do. Seemed
> > to me the best options were bubbly

> It's really not worth it to drink wine with strongly spiced Indian
> food, IMHO and experience, although mild things like birianis might
> work. Most wines that I can taste while eating a curry would
> ordinarily be dreimannerweine :-) I'd stick to beer, lassi or even
> ice-water. I have to admit that I recently had an enjoyable Thai meal
> where we had two bottles of Sancerre but I am not converted!

Ken Blake

In ,
Ian Hoare > typed:

> Salut/Hi Dale Williams,
>
> le/on 24 Sep 2004 01:09:14 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>I actually had Indian food 2 nights in a row-

> Lucky devil! The only way I ever get to eat indian food two
> days in a
> row is when I make a batch of four or five dishes up, and we
> eat them
> until they're finished. We're suffering from a certain amount
> of
> withdrawal at the moment, as we can't serve Indian food to
> punters -
> err clients,

Why not? You could have served it to us.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Ian Hoare > typed:

> Salut/Hi Dale Williams,
>
> le/on 24 Sep 2004 01:09:14 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>I actually had Indian food 2 nights in a row-

> Lucky devil! The only way I ever get to eat indian food two
> days in a
> row is when I make a batch of four or five dishes up, and we
> eat them
> until they're finished. We're suffering from a certain amount
> of
> withdrawal at the moment, as we can't serve Indian food to
> punters -
> err clients,

Why not? You could have served it to us.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Snoop

> It's really not worth it to drink wine with strongly spiced Indian
> food, IMHO and experience, although mild things like birianis might
> work. Most wines that I can taste while eating a curry would
> ordinarily be dreimannerweine :-) I'd stick to beer, lassi or even
> ice-water. I have to admit that I recently had an enjoyable Thai meal
> where we had two bottles of Sancerre but I am not converted!

huh? Indian food is like "made" for a nice Mosel riesling Qba, Kabinett or
Spatlese...
We had a Dr Wagner 2003 riesling Qba with a Tandoori mixed grill tonight,
and it was wonderful...

JMHO

Snoop