Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Electric Kettle good idea?

I was thinking of getting an electric kettle so that I don't have to
keep reheating my tea kettle on the stove. Good idea and if so, what
is a good model to get and what should be avoided, please?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark Ferrante
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

FERRANTE wrote:
> I was thinking of getting an electric kettle so that I don't have to
> keep reheating my tea kettle on the stove. Good idea and if so, what
> is a good model to get and what should be avoided, please?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark Ferrante

I used one from Braun, and found it to be very handy.

Basically, I think you want to avoid any kettle where the main body is
plastic. It leaves a nasty plastic taste in your water from my
experience. Get a metal one, preferably one where the heating unit is
covered up.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

If you want to spend the money, but want a really great kettle for
brewing chinese teas, get a taiwanese electric kettle with a really
long spout. Imperial Tea carries them, but they are out, so you may
want to contact someone like Stephane Erler from
www.teamasters.blogspot.com as he may be able to recommend and get you
a cheap kettle directt.

Right now Imperial Tea only have the following overpriced glass kettle
with temperature control:

http://www.imperialtea.com/AB1002000...Category_ID=18

It's great for pouring water and really easy to watch the water, but
might be $$$.

The other really solid cheaper alternative is adagio's UtiliTea kettle,
which is out of stock til January:

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/utiliT...7dc91 7998ff1

Good luck!

FERRANTE wrote:
> I was thinking of getting an electric kettle so that I don't have to
> keep reheating my tea kettle on the stove. Good idea and if so, what
> is a good model to get and what should be avoided, please?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark Ferrante

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 5 Nov 2006 09:58:17 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> FERRANTE > wrote:
>>I was thinking of getting an electric kettle so that I don't have to
>>keep reheating my tea kettle on the stove. Good idea and if so, what
>>is a good model to get and what should be avoided, please?

> Find one of the old (now discontinued) Russell Hobbes ones, or one of the
> newer Zojirushi ones.
>
> Or get a gas stove. I find the gas stove heats faster than an electric
> kettle anyway.
> --scott

The speed of a gas stove is relative. Compared with the wait for
installation of a gas line (and possibly waiting for the utility to
actually be available in your area), an electric kettle can seem downright
speedy.

This is not to slam gas stoves. I love ours. But I've also lived places
where gas was not an option, e.g., renting.

--
Derek

"Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're
doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have that,
along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could
possibly have imagined." -- Johnny Carson
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 19:45:18 -0500, FERRANTE wrote:

> I was thinking of getting an electric kettle so that I don't have to
> keep reheating my tea kettle on the stove. Good idea and if so, what
> is a good model to get and what should be avoided, please?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark Ferrante

Kettles are definitely a good idea. I'll second the suggestions to have
temperature controls. I'll also offer that auto off and keep warm settings
are nice. However, the best feature I've found is in kettles where the
heating element is part of the kettle and gets its power from base with
either a plug or an induction plate.

I'd never buy another kettle where I had to deal with a cord while pouring
the water.
--
Derek

"Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for
truth." -- Benjamin Disraeli

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I've never had one myself, but I've heard good things about the
large-body Zojirushi electric kettles. They run $100+ but are supposed
to be very much worth it if you drink a lot of tea. Amazon has a few
models, but I've never really shopped around because I find waiting for
the water to boil on my electric stove to be of great help in relaxing
me for tea.

-Drew

FERRANTE wrote:
> I was thinking of getting an electric kettle so that I don't have to
> keep reheating my tea kettle on the stove. Good idea and if so, what
> is a good model to get and what should be avoided, please?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark Ferrante

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

G'day!

I'm using a Kamjove - seems good. Select your temperature from 50C
to 100C, a pleasant ceramic hot-plate, and a very smooth actioned pour
from the black, squat kettle that sits on it. $40 Mainland China
price, probably available through your favourite exporter. It's been
on daily duty for half a year with no signs of tiring, and might be
worth a go.

Toodlepip,

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles

FWIW, I use a 7-cup capacity Braun...probably the same one that
MarshalN uses.

http://tinyurl.com/y4ptps

However, Hobbes' and Danica's kettles (with long spouts and manageable
weight) are probably better, especially if you brew Chinese gongfu
style. Such kettles give you better water flow control and handling.

If you want to develop your biceps and deltoids, however, my recco is
the way to go (at 7-cups capacity, it get's quite heavy to lift and
pour slowly into tiny Yixing pots).

Phyll

HobbesOxon wrote:
> G'day!
>
> I'm using a Kamjove - seems good. Select your temperature from 50C
> to 100C, a pleasant ceramic hot-plate, and a very smooth actioned pour
> from the black, squat kettle that sits on it. $40 Mainland China
> price, probably available through your favourite exporter. It's been
> on daily duty for half a year with no signs of tiring, and might be
> worth a go.
>

> Toodlepip,

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I've been using one for a couple of months. You will need counter
space and a plug. You want one with a detachable base. There are two
bases: heating element in base and element in heel or spur. I like the
spur because it is easier to set the pot. Also make sure the pot
doesn't need the cradle to rest. There should be a visable power on
light. There are two safety features: shut off when empty and boiling.
They come in various sizes and materials. The expensive are stainless
steel and the cheap plastic. I have one of plastic and the taste will
fade with use. Mine is 1.7L and kind of bulky. I would prefer 1L.
You want one with a visible water line. I fill mine through the spout.
It is easier than using the thumb press to lift the lid. The higher
the wattage the faster the boil. I would recommend at least a 1000
watts. I wouldn't go back to the stove. I got my KAMJOVE from Ebay.

Jim

FERRANTE wrote:
> I was thinking of getting an electric kettle so that I don't have to
> keep reheating my tea kettle on the stove. Good idea and if so, what
> is a good model to get and what should be avoided, please?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark Ferrante

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

FERRANTE wrote:
> I was thinking of getting an electric kettle so that I don't have to
> keep reheating my tea kettle on the stove. Good idea and if so, what
> is a good model to get and what should be avoided, please?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark Ferrante

I own a Zojurishi and having owned one for a year now I am extremely
pleased and would buy another if this one ever failed. To me, it is
well worth the money if you drink a lot of tea. There are several
models with two different temperature profiles (145,195, 205, & full
boil, and 165,195,205 & full boil) so select the one that offers the
best choice for lowest temp you need for types of tea you tend to drink
the most. There are also several sizes available, the 2.2L seems to be
best for most people. Here is what my old one looked like
http://www.pu-erh.net/toolfull.php?Tool=23 I now have a newer and
smaller 2.2L one. A good friend has the old one and it is still
kicking, I believe he is well satisfied as well.

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 6 Nov 2006 08:30:48 -0800, "Mike Petro" > wrote:

>FERRANTE wrote:
>> I was thinking of getting an electric kettle so that I don't have to
>> keep reheating my tea kettle on the stove. Good idea and if so, what
>> is a good model to get and what should be avoided, please?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>
>> Mark Ferrante

>I own a Zojurishi and having owned one for a year now I am extremely
>pleased and would buy another if this one ever failed. To me, it is
>well worth the money if you drink a lot of tea. There are several
>models with two different temperature profiles (145,195, 205, & full
>boil, and 165,195,205 & full boil) so select the one that offers the
>best choice for lowest temp you need for types of tea you tend to drink
>the most. There are also several sizes available, the 2.2L seems to be
>best for most people. Here is what my old one looked like
>http://www.pu-erh.net/toolfull.php?Tool=23 I now have a newer and
>smaller 2.2L one. A good friend has the old one and it is still
>kicking, I believe he is well satisfied as well.

Nice little setup you have there. I wish I had the room to make a nice
tea setup.

Thanks,
Mark

>Mike
>http://www.pu-erh.net

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I highly recommend the Zojirushi electric dispensing pot. I bought it
for tea but now i use it for making pasta and other foods that require
boiling water. Cuts cooking time down significiantly not to have to
wait for water to boil.

Anyway, i like buying these things from the smaller companies and
www.sanctuarytea.com has a great price on the 5.0L one. (plus they
have a GREAT tea selection). I've had a great experience buying online
from them.

FERRANTE wrote:
> I was thinking of getting an electric kettle so that I don't have to
> keep reheating my tea kettle on the stove. Good idea and if so, what
> is a good model to get and what should be avoided, please?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mark Ferrante

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

tandy wrote:
> I highly recommend the Zojirushi electric dispensing pot. I bought it
> for tea but now i use it for making pasta and other foods that require
> boiling water. Cuts cooking time down significiantly not to have to
> wait for water to boil.
>
> Anyway, i like buying these things from the smaller companies and
> www.sanctuarytea.com has a great price on the 5.0L one. (plus they
> have a GREAT tea selection). I've had a great experience buying online
> from them.

Shop around, unless you are partial to that particular Vendor in which
case do support them, however I only paid $121 for that same model vs
sanctuarytea's $149. Hey 20% is 20%.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfareast_bargainQQhtZ-1

Mike

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> >kicking, I believe he is well satisfied as well.Nice little setup you have there. I wish I had the room to make a nice

> tea setup.

Dear Ferrante,
I drink many varieteas in one day. I mostly use a Sunbean hot shot.
Plastic taste goes away very quickly. SO I put what amt of water my cup
holds in the reservoir and the cup under it. Heats water in less than a
minute. )the red light will change when ready) It you want the water to
boil for tea that requires boiling water just hold the heat button down
for a second or 2 till you hear the water boil. It is available many
places for a bout 20 bucks or less.
Jenn

electric kettle help Tracy[_2_] General Cooking 28 02-02-2009 06:06 PM
my new electric kettle! Tracy[_2_] General Cooking 2 12-12-2007 03:12 AM
Electric Kettle? Tracy[_2_] General Cooking 74 11-12-2007 05:46 AM
Electric Kettle Standard Deviant Tea 7 22-06-2005 03:58 AM
electric tea kettle Dmitri Tea 1 17-11-2003 02:02 AM